• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking I may choose PS4 over Switch on launch, PS4 gives you some pre-order bonuses. The trophies would be nice to have too.

I'll probably double dip eventually, but probably get it on PS4 first at launch.

The Switch doesn't have Sonic Mania listed in it's upcoming games section on eShop in North America, it is for Japan though.

Fireblend

Banned
The NA eShop sucks at listing upcoming releases, to be fair. I'm getting the Switch version for that sweet portability.

Can't wait for the game. So close now!

Unicorn

I'm hyped for this, but it has been ages since I've cared about a 2D platformer. I'll probably buy it and only play a couple hours.

I mainly just want to see some beautiful sprite work and hear some jams.

Sacul64GC

Banned
The game's UI and artwork heavily features four colors:

maniauijfs28.png

There's some speculation that those color swatches represent Blue for Sonic, Red for Knuckles and Orange for Tails, which would leave that Teal color for a fourth, unannounced character. But that's just rampant speculation, they've given us no real reason to assume there will be a fourth character.

Ah thanks ive been following this like a hawk since the word go and heard no 4th character speculation at all, seems unlikely.

https://youtu.be/_JXXv6XX8fA?t=28
Eggman is teal.

The game's UI and artwork heavily features four colors:

maniauijfs28.png

There's some speculation that those color swatches represent Blue for Sonic, Red for Knuckles and Orange for Tails, which would leave that Teal color for a fourth, unannounced character. But that's just rampant speculation, they've given us no real reason to assume there will be a fourth character.

teal represents Sonic's new transformation, Super Sonic God Super Sonic

Shadio

so is it true that we might no get any 3 or knuckles stages because of some legal fuckery?

Most of the stages from those games should be safe, but I think there have been music issues with Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base zones in the past. Some releases of the game replace the music from those zones entirely, although the most recent release from 2011 uses the original tracks.

entremet

Most of the stages from those games should be safe, but I think there have been music issues with Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base zones in the past. Some releases of the game replace the music from those zones entirely, although the most recent release from 2011 uses the original tracks.

But Sonic 3/k has been released in the VC, 360, and other areas without any changes to the music?

RockmanBN

Hydrocity is safe from the Music trouble. It NEEDS to be the 3 pick for the game.

J@hranimo

Banned
I still find it odd that they still only showed two original stages so far.

Aaron Webber has said in an older livestream that they haven't showed much new stuff because they don't want to spoil everything. As the release date gets closer, some reviewer or something will probably spoil it so no worries on that front lol.

so is it true that we might no get any 3 or knuckles stages because of some legal fuckery?

Actually Christian Whitehead himself confirmed there would be Sonic 3 AND Sonic & Knuckles zones on this very forum last year.

Unless something changed within the past year we should see something from Sonic 3. We already got Flying Battery confirmed so I think we're good :)

Ferr986

But Sonic 3/k has been released in the VC, 360, and other areas without any changes to the music?

We don't know the terms about the legal stuff, but Stealth was said by Cirocco n 2012 (after the releases of 360, VC or Steam ports) that there was a lawsuit ongoing.

Over time, word has reached me from various sources that there is a legal issue of some sort regarding Sonic 3. Naturally, I don’t have any more solid information, since I’m not involved with the issue itself, however, it should come as no surprise because there had long been rumors of legal issues regarding some of the music that have reached the public from multiple sources. More recently, Cirocco Jones mentioned in early 2012 that there was a lawsuit “going on or about to go on” in relation to Sonic 3, and referred an interviewer to Bobby Brooks, who responded very negatively to being asked anything at all about it. Both quotes can be found here. Some people believe that this is in conflict with more recent releases of the game and the fact that they are still available, however, the last release of Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) was for Steam in 2011, the year immediately preceding the point at which Cirocco Jones mentioned actual, in-progress legal action, and about two years before the Sonic 1 remaster was begun. Also it’s not unreasonable to believe that whatever is happening doesn’t actually require SEGA to remove existing releases since we don’t know specifically what the dispute is and what terms may be in the works

We don't know and probably will never know what's the extend of Sonic 3 music and why sometimes it can be released or sometimes it can't, but its sure there's something going on with that game and it's music.

Mind you this only applies to some tracks, so some Sonic 3 stages are safe to reappear.

RockmanBN

I think they could do more with ice cap. Hydrocity's the best water zone sonic's had but chemical clashes a bit with it already.

Chemical Plant isn't known for being a water stage, Aquatic Ruin was more of a water level than the former.

Also 4chan had been listing possible returning stages. If we have 5-6 new stages counting the last level if original, then we'll probably have 8ish returning stages.

QLIfgGf.jpg

Sciz

Chemical Plant isn't known for being a water stage, Aquatic Ruin was more of a water level than the former.

It was explicitly based on Chemical Plant, however:

Iizuka said:
Thinking we would make a high-speed stage similar to the previous games, we based this stage on Chemical Plant. The map size was already at the limit of the Mega Drive's RAM with Sonic 2, but thanks to the efforts of our programmers we were able to make them even bigger. There are also routes made specifically for each character.

gelf

One thing I've not seen any reference to is character specific routes. Has there been any indication that this is in the game? Some of the Knuckles levels in S3&K could take a quite different path from Sonic's.

entremet

We don't know the terms about the legal stuff, but Stealth was said by Cirocco n 2012 (after the releases of 360, VC or Steam ports) that there was a lawsuit ongoing.

We don't know and probably will never know what's the extend of Sonic 3 music and why sometimes it can be released or sometimes it can't, but its sure there's something going on with that game and it's music.

Mind you this only applies to some tracks, so some Sonic 3 stages are safe to reappear.

My guess is that ROMs are fine, but remakes like the excellent Taxman ports are the issue. The contract terms may be limit that.

J@hranimo

Banned
One thing I've not seen any reference to is character specific routes. Has there been any indication that this is in the game? Some of the Knuckles levels in S3&K could take a quite different path from Sonic's.

Yes they are there. Also Knuckles starts in a different part of Mirage Saloon compared to Sonic and Tails.

Shadio

They've shown off Mirage Saloon act 2 with both Tails and Knuckles and they start off the zone in different areas, so their act 1s must've taken different paths, at least towards the end.

It's hard to tell how different their act 2s are from just seeing one playthrough of each, but there is a point about a minute into Knuckles' level that Sonic wouldn't be able to get through.

You can see for yourself here, but it's very painful to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Q60UgMjbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLSvYyETcU

Caffeine

Also 4chan had been listing possible returning stages. If we have 5-6 new stages counting the last level if original, then we'll probably have 8ish returning stages.

QLIfgGf.jpg

damn thats some extensive research lol sounds good cant wait for this game :) bought a copy for me and one for my friend already.

I hope there are in game cutscenes of Sonic, Tails & Knuckles meeting up no matter which character you choose, Sonic 3 got close but it was missing Tails if you played solo Sonic outside of the opening and Marble Garden's boss. Knuckles' playthrough was justified as that takes place after Sonic's S3K story and didn't involve him and Tails

And on the subject of 5 new zones, something tells me there might be 6 to have a final zone with Robotnik and all 5 Heavies, I dunno, seems underwhelming if the end was a reimagined place like Death Egg Zone or Metallic Madness, let alone if the heavies only showed up for their respective zones

Hydrocity is safe from the Music trouble. It NEEDS to be the 3 pick for the game.
Maybe that's why Aquatic Ruin didn't make it, Sonic 3 has the water zone representation.

gelf

Yes they are there. Also Knuckles starts in a different part of Mirage Saloon compared to Sonic and Tails.

They've shown off Mirage Saloon act 2 with both Tails and Knuckles and they start off the zone in different areas, so their act 1s must've taken different paths, at least towards the end.

It's hard to tell how different their act 2s are from just seeing one playthrough of each, but there is a point about a minute into Knuckles' level that Sonic wouldn't be able to get through.

You can see for yourself here, but it's very painful to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Q60UgMjbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLSvYyETcU
This is good to know. Really adds to the replay value when the characters have their own areas to access.

HyGogg

Banned
They may just want to avoid anything that requires them to license content. It's not a matter of being unable to as much as it is wanting to make sure they own everything in the game going forward. Same reason we didn't get Toejam and Earl in Sonic Racing All Stars.

If I get 2/3 of: Hydrocity, Ice Cap, and Lava Reef, then Sonic Mania is a lock for GOTY for me.

Really don't see Ice Cap happening with the music issue. Hydrocity seems like the easy pick for Sonic 3. It has plenty of water, which is absent except for the classic muck climb in Chemical Plant Act 1, and everyone adores the stage/music.

Lava Reef would be cool, but I'm not sure if they're sticking to one zone per classic game. 12 zones with a 7/5 split of classic/new would require it, unless they put one over on us by whipping out a Knuckles Chaotix/Newtrogic High Zone level or Sunset Park or some other unexpected thing from the olden days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom