• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed doesn't support voice chat on Wii U

You've done an amazing job there of translating what I said into something different :)

There is no official headset and the only ones that exists and *might* be available for launch are third party. They can only be used with the GamePad, which in our case means that only one player in a 5 player party would be able to chat online.

We opted to spend the time on things all players would benefit from, not features that a potentially small minority would use.

We are a party game at the end of the day, one designed to get players around a TV, so 5 players in splitscreen either online or offline.

---
S0L
---

I didn't mean it disparagingly, just that it would be possible for you to implement(theoretically, I mean). I think it is good that a developer is concentrating on local multiplayer action (or at the least, not treating it as an afterthought), I just wish you were making/porting an Outrun 3 instead.

Well, mostly that it isn't (wasn't) as good as the 360's, it still had it, and used a much wider range of hardware.

The Wii U does have voice chat though(as well as video chat).

kitsuneyo

people don't give a damn until Nintendo takes it off the list

I'm a Nintendo fan with a WiiU pre-order and I give a damn about this. It should be a non-issue for Sumo because it should be built in to Miiverse/the OS, but it obviously isn't.

No voice chat didn't hurt Mario Kart, but if you're playing with friends online then voice chat is a must in 2012 IMO.

It really does make me think it'll be a system level feature they haven't bothered telling devs about yet.

Doesn't that contradict what (I think) Nintendo have said about voice chat being in selected games? If it was a system level feature then that statement would make no sense.

I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :p

---
S0L
---
Well, it sounds like a good excuse, the only problem is that it's not like many people are going to play local and online multi at the same time, so only one voice chat enable controller is almost always enough.

.la1n

I agree, wouldn't be surprised if Wii U has OS level voice chat and Nintendo hasn't told developers about it at all. In that case it's going to be kind of weird/funny to see random games with their own internal chat peripheral detection system in addition to OS voice chat.

However, at this point I'd be worried that's not in (at least at least) because Nintendo didn't see fit to put headphone jacks on the pro controller. That's a bigger issue than no analog triggers, which is a toss-up feature.

Ironically, this sort of thing doesn't automatically paint Nintendo as horrible, despite how people try. Sony is just as inconsistent with their own support for such things on PS3. To be frank only Microsoft set out as a specific mission statement to have a lot of universal features entirely locked down at the start of this generation. Nobody else has put the same emphasis on that.

I would probably be more lenient on Nintendo to get their act together if it wasn't that they have had the past 6(?) years to see what the competition did and had to do in order to have a good online offering. This should not be happening, even at the launch of a new console, not at this point.

Skyzard

Banned
Apparently it's literally not possible. The GamePad mic only works for video chat.

You'd think since the hardware was there it would be fixable if they wanted to..

Child safety concerns? - limiting the apps that use the proper communication features.

Skyzard

Banned
Considering you can video chat with a creepy old dude called octoG or something I doubt that's the case

But the video chat is limited to friends right? Not just anyone online...? not sure - don't remember playing any games like that on a nintendo system before but I may be missing one..still - think it ought to be a concern for them.

Skyzard

Banned
That is one of the multiple things we don't know yet about Wii U's online features.

I'd say it definitely will be limited to some sort of list as a no-brainer. WiiU Chat Roulette (media reports) would kill the system.

Seems really daft not to be able to use that voice chat at least with your friends in online games - I'm sure that will come with that down the road if not at launch...has to be.. I can understand no general voice chat in most games for parents not to worry about some 30year old talking to their kids through the wiiu console..but not even with friendlist? It's not like it's too demanding, the vita can do it.. Hopefully nintendo will clarify soon enough.

denshuu

Not too shaken up about that. The only time I've ever heard someone use voicechat in Sega All-Stars Racing was some angry British kid screaming at me for using Shadow.

andthebeatgoeson

You need a peripheral? WTF is the point of the mic and speakers on the gamepad? To fuckin blow on it for shitty blow/waggle combinations? I was 85% certain that story last week was BS. Haha. Seriously? This is actually true?

wsippel

Banned
I know there'll be licensed headsets, but shouldn't any phone headset (3.5mm TRRS) work just fine? That's what the 3DS seems to use as well.

I still don't know why Nintendo won't let us use a bluetooth headset.
Maybe they do, or maybe they'll allow it in the future.

Skyzard

Banned
I have a feeling more stuff is going to pop up like this the more we learn about the online. They are hiding it for a reason.

That's what I am hoping...they are just downplaying the features to not worry parents...otherwise they've really lowered the standards bar..

I think people sometimes forget/underestimate how valuable the child friendly gaming status is for nintendo..it will be on their minds.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They don't want to put in the time for feature parity I don't want to put in the time for an inferior product. Will wait for Mario Kart Wii U (Which...probably won't have voice chat!)

Alex

this issue sure became the greatest feature of all time recently wow

people don't give a damn until Nintendo takes it off the list

Spin it baby, spin it.

No one probably brings it up because everything under the sun has proper voice chat with fifty tons of support and options.

NeoRausch

No voice chat in a racing game? Dammit!

but seriously, ialways wanted to talk to sonic fans over the int3rwbZ in a racing game. GREEEEEEEN EYES, HUELEN! .......green eyes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling more stuff is going to pop up like this the more we learn about the online. They are hiding it for a reason.
I don't know, people were expecting to have their minds blown last E3 and it didn't happen. I'd love Nintendo to deliver, but I won't be so optimistic this time.

I'm still considering getting a Wii U, if when it starts being sold in my country at a reasonable price (no chance I'll be paying 500 bucks or more).

daakusedo

I don't know if five players going online from the same console is something that I would use a lot principally due to the difficulty of having locally five same skilled players to enjoy some tough competition online.
But that still seems like a great feature, I would like to experience it in mario kart. But since online is often one person connecting, I'm not sold on the excuse for lack of (temporary?) voice chat.

boiled goose

good with gravy
nintendo effing up again.

Voice chat should be a universal OS level feature.
Up to developers? hahaha good luck with it being implemented.

Nintendo STILL NOT SERIOUS ENOUGH ABOUT ONLINE.

andthebeatgoeson

nintendo effing up again.

Voice chat should be a universal OS level feature.
Up to developers? hahaha good luck with it being implemented.

Nintendo STILL NOT SERIOUS ENOUGH ABOUT ONLINE.

I hated the idea of wearing a bluetooth adapator as much as I hate bluetooth guy from 24. It's built in to the controller. No excuse. I'm not even a big multiplayer gamer but it just seems like a standard for all consoles next generation. I would be 'curious' if it was free and in some games I really liked.

hatchx

Banned
This is not a big deal to me. Voice chat, especially during a racing game, doesn't seem very compelling.

QUESTION : Does this mean we are able to have online voice chat if we use the Wii U gamepad in Sonic Racing?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The lack and comberson Voice Chat for Black Ops has me canceling this pre-order. I know the game itself might be good and the second pad viewing looks cool but for a Preimier FPS having only a small amout of users able to use a mic is a deal breaker for me.

Im not going to use a pro controller, hook a mic to the gamepad and than have to use multiple devices for killstreaks, and radars..

They just messed up. Voice chat on a SOCIAL gaming system should have been a day one decision on design. I feel they think that someone might say a bad word and scare parents from buying the system.

Guess Im getting this on 360..(just got one!)

Uh, I didn't post this as a topic, just a reply in the existing Sonic & Sega All-Stars thread. It must have gotten split off; I would've been a little more careful with my OP wording if I had known that was going to happen.

On a side note, isn't it really weird that Nintendo has these on/off things with voice chat? They made a big deal over it in Metroid Prime Hunters/Pokemon DP, even going so far as to produce an official headset, then backing away from it on the 3DS (though one third party game includes it!). On the Wii they produce Wii Speak, then shrink from adding it to any further big Nintendo titles.

They should either put it on everything, or not have it at all, the half-arsed approach is lazy.

Top Bottom