• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

aku:jiki

gutter_trash said:
thank you KingJ2002 & dark10x for being the first ones to give your impressions on the 360 version, I was getting tired of the haters continuous trashing without ever playing it.
:lol

The denial is strong in Sonic fans!

MegaTen

Banned
aku:jiki said:
:lol

The denial is strong in Sonic fans!
If you didn't notice, this topic is for people that have played the game to discuss it. You've trolled most of the other topics about this game, so we already know what you think.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finished my fourth action stage...

Crisis City was really cool (I mean really fun stuff)...but too divided. It is divided into FOUR different areas divided by load screens. The load screen come at you so suddenly that it just kills the flow.

The game is SERIOUSLY hurt by loading. I would have been enjoying this about 100x more without the loading.

There is some really fun gameplay buried in there, but those F*CKING LOADING SCREENS!!@@!@1211

They should have just pasted loading screens on the back of the box.

i hope the PS3 version takes advantage of the HDD partial install to help the load times for that version.

there are enough Sonic threads for trolls to go trolling, leave this thread and leave this one for the ones who bought the game and for the ones anxiously awaiting the PS3 delayed version

MegaTen

Banned
Yeah, it's very possible that the PS3 version was delayed in order for Sega to implement the ability to install to the HDD in order to shorten(and hopefully even eliminate some) load times.

I've had a brief time with this Sonic, so I'll post my brief impressions of the game I've put elsewhere...

THIS GAME IS RETARDED!

The collision detection is so off, theres so many problems moreso than it fixes. Hell, the first spring I ran into in the game sent Sonic FLYING INTO SPACE TOWARD HIS DEATH. I dont care who programmed this game, they're terrible at what they do and need to be FIRED. Cooperative mode is stupid, just run into a bunch of areas, kill the enemies, watch Sonic and player 2 go through these terrible looking loops then press both switches to deactivate gates. Silver sucks because all he can do is pick up boxes and watch them disappear and -NOT- hit the enemy.

Also the Single Player, what are they DOING? Its Grand Theft Auto with Sonic! Talk to a person who has an objective for you, loading sequence, they tell you what to do, loading sequence, Sonic must go through all the rings, loading sequence, you get some rings based on how you didnt suck.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING SEGA? YOU'RE RUINING THE FRANCHISE!

Maztorre

gutter_trash said:
there are enough Sonic threads for trolls to go trolling, leave this thread and leave this one for the ones who bought the game and for the ones anxiously awaiting the PS3 delayed version

Legitimate criticisms != trolling.

So basically people are allowed to complain about any other game in any of their respective threads except this one?

If you can't handle the fact that people may not like a game you want to blindly defend then maybe you should leave this thread.

MegaTen said:
Yeah, it's very possible that the PS3 version was delayed in order for Sega to implement the ability to install to the HDD in order to shorten(and hopefully even eliminate some) load times.

I'm guessing it's more to do with general engine optimisation since every early PS3 build (up to the TGS 2006 build, even)was running at about half the speed of the 360 version.

MegaTen

Banned
Maztorre said:
Legitimate criticisms != trolling.

So basically people are allowed to complain about any other game in any of their respective threads except this one?

If you can't handle the fact that people may not like a game you want to blindly defend then maybe you should leave this thread.
No... like I said before, most of the poeple who have critisized the game in this thread are the same ones who have been saying the same things over and over in earlier threads. Besides the fact that most of them havent even played the retail game yet, we already know what they think about it having heard them plenty of times before. That is trolling.

Pachinko

This is an open responce to DarkX10's request for what the gripes are with this games camera-

When I play a game in 3D the camera needs to be easily rearanged and more importantly it should follow the action on screen in a smart fashion. With sonic I found the camera had a hard time keeping up with where sonic was on screen and the camera center button didn't really help much. By itself this'd be a problem that could be tolerated , however the game doesnt' make it 100% clear when the homing jump will work correctly and often times becuase of the delayed camera reaction times I found myself preforming a homing jump that'd send sonic careening into the abyss below, I had this problem in sonic adventure 2 as well, it made the game nearly unplayable for me.

Even if sega went through and made sure the homing jump would never allow you to commit suicide and set up the camera and levels so it never got stuck and kept up with the action there is still a small flaw- the levels are in 3d and seem to feel the need to force a perpetual bottomless pit on you, atleast make it so there is a collision barrier except in places where there are actual jumps , for example in the demo level early on you must jump on an air gust and grind it, if you should accidently preform the homing jump incorrectly sonic won't reatach to this wind line and you die no matter what. This is poor design at it's worst. The levels are designed for speed and encourage you to homing jump through small waves of enemies to grab a few extra rings and points yet if you jump off the air wave you pretty much forfeit a life.

If this was the only 3D platformer in existance then I'd look past these issues as I wouldn't know any better. Unfortunatly there are plenty of 3D platformers out there many of which have better camera/control/level design and frankly to see a sonic game in 2006 have about the same problems as it did in 1999 ... I simply can't support this trash with my money. By buying a game as broken as this you are only encouraging sega to make more of them.

dark10x

Virgin Wii said:
I wonder if the PS3 version will have the option to save the game to HDD.
I'm hoping very much.

IF they do this, I'll ditch the 360 version in favor of that version.

JamesE

Fight for Freeform said:
I think you're forgetting that in the 2D games, Sonic used to jump in a ball.

Yeah, but in the latest Sonic games it's more like he does traditional summersaults and breakdances through mid air - as much as I loved how great the ball jump was in SA, it's something the series as a whole has retreated from.

He also was able to roll.

Yeah, but in the 3D Sonics this has been depreciated to the extreme.

He was also able to explore a level.

But In the 3D games, the camera system makes backtracking extremely problematic.

This game, though a bastardization, it much more like the 2D games than Sonic Wii.

You're hating on this game for ideological reasons rather than sensible ones. At least it's style has a direct analogue in the original Mega Drive games.

jman2050

If this game is on par with SA/SA2 and NOT in line with crap like Shadow, then I may have to pick this up after all...

I don't expect anything special though, just something fair. Which would be much MUCH better than what we've been subjected to over the past few years, so I'd be happy.

JamesE

I guess it comes across clearer how I feel about Wii if I say this - it takes minigame gameplay from earlier in the series and uses that to create something that's far truer to the character design and aesthetic of the series up to 1998, rather than the seriously warped and shitty aesthetic that the series has followed since 2001 (Heroes was cute but soulless like a waxwork dummy).

It isn't trying to be a platformer, so attacking it for not being the right genre is a hokey critique at best. They looked for something that was in the Wii style and found the bonus stages. Hopefully (as things look to be panning out and provided it's good) the game will outsell Sonic 2006 and the series will gravitate back towards fun, mysterious areas and design. I can see a Wii game with Sonic selling to a much larger market slice than one on a console with an older demographic.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dark10x said:
I'm hoping very much.

IF they do this, I'll ditch the 360 version in favor of that version.

I posted about this in another thread, but I failed to check back for the answer.

How is is possible to "save a game" on the PS3's HDD? Does that mean you can take the same game to your friends house and save it on his HDD so he has it as well, therefore meaning that you only needed to buy a single copy of the game for two individual people?

JamesE said:
I guess it comes across clearer how I feel about Wii if I say this - it takes minigame gameplay from earlier in the series and uses that to create something that's far truer to the character design and aesthetic of the series up to 1998, rather than the seriously warped and shitty aesthetic that the series has followed since 2001 (Heroes was cute but soulless like a waxwork dummy).

It isn't trying to be a platformer, so attacking it for not being the right genre is a hokey critique at best. They looked for something that was in the Wii style and found the bonus stages. Hopefully (as things look to be panning out and provided it's good) the game will outsell Sonic 2006 and the series will gravitate back towards fun, mysterious areas and design. I can see a Wii game with Sonic selling to a much larger market slice than one on a console with an older demographic.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4862211&postcount=167

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4862048&postcount=165

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4847659&postcount=45

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4847537&postcount=40

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4847432&postcount=38

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4829978&postcount=90

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4783334&postcount=15

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4785051&postcount=20

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4785022&postcount=19

Wow, you are the new resident Sonic Hater on NeoGaf, and allmost all your posts are hate directed towards Sonic.

Viral Marketer king

FightyF

Banned
JamesE said:

Sonic fans want a proper 3D Sonic platformer. Not some bonus stage game.

Maztorre

Fight for Freeform said:

"Sonic fans" are such a varied group of people with often-hideous tastes that there is no telling what they actually want.

Case in point: People slobbering for a game with a dire story and little actual progress made in the gameplay!

MegaTen

Banned
Maztorre said:
"Sonic fans" are such a varied group of people with often-hideous tastes that there is no telling what they actually want.

Case in point: People slobbering for a game with a dire story and little actual progress made in the gameplay!
Are you finished trolling?

FightyF

Banned
Maztorre said:

We've already went over what the hardcore want. They don't want no ****ing Sonic Wii, and are disappointed in this game.

Some Sonic fans are slobbering over it because it's the closest thing to a proper 3D Sonic game out there, released by SEGA. That's why.

Sapiens

I did a search in the thread - didnt find anything

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/745/745126p1.html

Video of the GBA version of sonic from a few weeks ago. As you can see i may look like a pixel for pixel port, but in motion, it looks (and sounds) like garbage

I'll stick the the original version, thank-you.

(and WTF up with not including part 2? Sonic 1 was 4 megabits and Sonci 2 was 8 - thats 1.5 megabytes! Do they even make GBA chips that small???)

JamesE

Fight for Freeform said:

Well shit, thank you for speaking on behalf of everyone who ever played a Sonic game. I am saluting you like the President salutes at the end of Air Force One.

I want a proper 3D Sonic platformer. I have an idea for one planned entirely out in my head, and it's brilliant, it's free-roaming, it gets the tone right - but it's not going to happen at the moment or in fact ever. Sega are losing money in the scheme of things, and Sonic is the only cash cow they have readily to hand besides a select few arcade teams. If Sega can churn out more shit with less thought, they will. Yasuhara will never design levels for Sega again.

I enjoy the Sonic bonus stages. Rush had <i>amazingly fun</i> half-pipes. If the Wii can bring that, I will buy it and play the shit out of it. There is no worth left in the main series. Only spinoff games hold out some hope for playability and charm, right now. Sonic games need to become worthwhile in themselves before they become worthwhile as "Sonic" games.

Maztorre

Fight for Freeform said:
Some Sonic fans are slobbering over it because it's the closest thing to a proper 3D Sonic game out there, released by SEGA. That's why.

So...they are simply buying the game because Sega is still putting them out? They are ready and willing to lap up whatever Sega dishes out, regardless of the quality of the title as conveyed to them by myself and many others who played the game? Just because it's another 3D Sonic?

Who'd have thunk it.

MegaTen said:
Are you finished trolling?

Are you going to address my points about the state of the games narrative, engine and general design?

JamesE

Fight for Freeform said:
We've already went over what the hardcore want. They don't want no ****ing Sonic Wii, and are disappointed in this game.

The Sonic hardcore shouldn't be listened to, because they're notoriously defensive and apologetic. I bet when you plugged Sonic 1 into Sonic and Knuckles and pressed ABC together you REFUSED to play it because it was ALL BONUS STAGES and therefore NOT PROPER SONIC, right?

Sonic Wildfire contains as many elements of old-school Sonic as the Sonic Adventure - Sonic 2006 series. It just happens to have a new spin on it, and I hope it actually produces something that's worthwhile as a videogame, and helps rehabilitate the character and his universe.

Your attitude to the game is more than a little irrational.

dark10x

OK, finished 6 action stages.

The game is a mixed bag. I'm disappointed in many of the mistakes that were made. The loading remains THE number 1 issue and fixing it would increase my enjoyment quite a bit. The town stages are still worthless (as they were in SA1), but the action stages mostly rock. The music is also excellent (though the lack of a Crush 40 theme song is disappointing :D) and very different from the rest of the 3D games. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the composers that worked on PSO/PSU and Panzer Dragoon Orta were involved (as there are many similarities to both of them). Honestly, the only BAD music is in the town stage (particularly the first track, which is straight boring).

Level descriptions...

I suppose these could be spoilers, but I don't want to black out the whole post.

1) A beach level in the style of SA1. Longer and more complex than Emerald Coast. TONS of different routes are visible as you make your way through. There is a mechanic in the game where Sonic hits a wall and you have a couple seconds to hit a button to send him to the next spot (similar to those pads in SA1). Right after the whale portion, the docks explode up into the air and the world slows down (not Sonic) as all the pieces fall into the ocean. You jump from piece to piece before finally grabbing the whale fin. Really neat. The short Tails section simply has you making your way to a switch in order to close a gate. Simple and not bothersome. THEN, the game loads the next section (like most action stages, it's split into two). Here, you switch to a hyperspeed mode. Controls are a bit different (can't actually stop and getting hit causes you to tumble rather than stopping dead). These segments are very much like that very first video we saw of Sonic Next a couple years ago. Very cool.

2) A desert which has you holding the Princess. Fortunately, the game remains fast and holding her adds a new mechanic (holding R-trigger puts up a barrier which allows you to cross the sand). This is a neat mechanic as you'll need to hit it right as you cross bits of sand in order to avoid sinking. Plenty of speed mixed with excellent visuals.

3) Making your way towards Eggman's base, you traverse a snowy area. You start on a snowboard. The controls are much better than Sonic Adventure, but making mistakes produces that same glitchy feeling that SA1 gave you. Not that good. The largest portion of the level takes place on foot with another Tails section in there. The final 1/3rd of the level is the best. This is probably my least favorite level, though.

4) Crisis City. A bit of time travel lands you in a burnt out wasteland. Extremely nice looking and very fun. Unfortunately, this level is broken up into FOUR load zones. FOUR. It's a shame too, as each segment plays really well. Initially, you start on a board and this is the weakest portion. Better than the ice, though. The next three parts are incredible, though. In particular, the third section has you moving through flying pieces of debris and actually plays great while the final section is just like the final portion of stage 1 (ultra high speed running).

5) A lava cave zone that reminds me of a similar zone in Sonic Adventure 1. Fairly long and enjoyable. A good mix of speed and puzzle (simple, but fun). Knuckles is thrown in this time and his small segment plays well.

6) A train following stage. Extremely good looking stage that has you following a train. You have to hit these switches several times along the way to blow up bombs that were placed on the tracks. Racing to each switch is great fun. The second part is another ultra high speed segment. Awesome, though a bit difficult and little glitchy when you screw up.

7) A jungle stage (similar to the one in SA2). You're holding the Princess again. Only played a small portion.

MegaTen

Banned
Maztorre said:
Are you going to address my points about the state of the games narrative, engine and general design?
Huh? People play Sonic games for the story? Are you expecting some kind of epic story or want Sonic to stay in Green Hill Zone forever? Do people complain about Mario going to a beach resort and cleaning up mud or flying in outer space to a bunch of planets? No, because again.. people don't usually play platformers for the story.

General design and gameplay.. certain stages would be much better without annoying loading screens between sequences, but there have been some improvements to the general gameplay with some new high-speed areas of the game that work great. I don't know what kind of "breakthroughs" you're expecting, but when a game is known for its speed and isn't a racing game, then yeah, there will obviously be some issues in a 3d environment and I think Sonic Team are making some progress.

JDA

Banned
You know, if you think this game is bad, you should quit gaming forever. The game is not hard at all. I have a friend who can barely play any game that's over MMO pacing, and he had no problems beating the first level with Sonic.

If you can't play this game you are a total newb. Become an hero.

Maztorre

MegaTen said:
I don't know what kind of "breakthroughs" you're expecting, but when a game is known for its speed and isn't a racing game, then yeah, there will obviously be some issues in a 3d environment and I think Sonic Team are making some progress.

The kind of breakthroughs one would expect when Sonic Team have had 7 years to refine a concept.

Or is that expecting too much?

Firestorm

Soooo I might sound like more of a Tails fanboy than I really am, but how are the Tails stages and how little of them are there? =(

JDA

Banned
You know, it's becoming painfully obvious who has and hasn't played this game.

You want revolutionary? Play the Silver levels... Here we have physics based gameplay that's better than Half Life 2's. Yes, I said it. Physics based gameplay that actually works.

JamesE

Art and music contribute to platformers a hell of a lot, though - much of Sonic's appeal is the way the music and art design accentuated the gameplay and made you feel happy. Sonic CD's a good case in point: it loses so much of what made it great when they dropped the Japanese releases' awesome dance music for the hastily composed ambient rock the US game shipped with. The new music in this game is pretty good, but it has the horrible rubber doll look heroes rocked mixed with the apocalyptic bad vibes of Shadow. The gameplay is at fault, and is apparently the same as the last 3 games with added sub-Psi Ops bullshit.

dark10x

D-X said:
I think the problem is people blaming the art direction when it seems the gameplay is at fault.
I blame the loading.

If it weren't for those awful loading screens, I'd be a lot more positive about the whole thing.

The kind of breakthroughs one would expect when Sonic Team have had 7 years to refine a concept.

Well, the team is a mere shadow of its former self. There's nobody special working for Sonic team anymore. The action stages generally play much better than Sonic Adventure 1, though, so it's not as if they haven't made some progress.

Don't get me wrong, though, this game is flawed as hell. I have a feeling that very few people will be able to enjoy it. Getting past some of its flaws to extract the fun isn't worth it for most.

Soooo I might sound like more of a Tails fanboy than I really am, but how are the Tails stages and how little of them are there? =(
Eh, they show up from time to time. There aren't many and those sections are short, but they are there.

JamesE

JDA said:
You know, it's becoming painfully obvious who has and hasn't played this game.

You want revolutionary? Play the Silver levels... Here we have physics based gameplay that's better than Half Life 2's. Yes, I said it. Physics based gameplay that actually works.

1. What the **** does this have to do with Sonic gameplay? It was ripped wholesale out of another game Sonic Team were kicking around and shoehorned in.

2. How the **** did HL2's physics not "work"?

3. You've never heard of a thing called "Psi Ops", have you?

Firestorm

Ah ok. Well, 1up a few of the stages are the best in the series... so better than City Escape and Radical Highway has my interest. But I dunno if it's worth $70 Canadian + 13% tax =(

FightyF

Banned
JamesE said:
The Sonic hardcore shouldn't be listened to, because they're notoriously defensive and apologetic. I bet when you plugged Sonic 1 into Sonic and Knuckles and pressed ABC together you REFUSED to play it because it was ALL BONUS STAGES and therefore NOT PROPER SONIC, right?

No, I liked the Special Stages. But if SEGA sold a game and that's all that was featured, I'd be dissappointed. I'd buy it, but if I was waiting years for a platformer, I would be dissappointed.

Much like I was dissappointed with 3D Blast on the Saturn, rather than a true sequel.

Sonic Wildfire contains as many elements of old-school Sonic as the Sonic Adventure - Sonic 2006 series. It just happens to have a new spin on it, and I hope it actually produces something that's worthwhile as a videogame, and helps rehabilitate the character and his universe.

Your attitude to the game is more than a little irrational.

I've already rationalized why I dislike it. You can't go back, can't roll, can't jump properly, it's just not Sonic. You can go left and right and leap.

SEGA could have popped in Ristar and people wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Add in Sonic rolling (to gain speed and to kill baddies), jumping like he does in the special stages (like in Sonic 2 and in Rush), able to turn around and go back on the path he was running on previously, multiple paths (both vertical and horizontal) and get rid of those white fuzzballs you have to collect, and I would look forward to it. But no, we get a game on rails, with none of Sonic's traits beside his own visuals.

dark10x

gutter_trash said:
how long do you stay in the town stages? can you skip the town stuff and just do the Action Stages?
Not long. There are a few points where you might be wandering around trying to find the next area, though. You don't return to the town stage between every action stage either...

MegaTen

Banned
Maztorre said:

Ok, so I'll ask again. What are you expecting.. or what do you want from a 3D Sonic game? Ususally when people don't like how a game plays they provide examples of what they think might make it better.. something a lot of you trolls havent been doing. And I'm almost repeating myself as much as the whiners, but you guys obviously have not played the final version of the game and thus can't realize that progress is being made. It's not a lot, mind you, but it's enough to be noticeable and still have fun playing it.

JDA

Banned
1. So Sonic games should be all about running in a straight line and jumping occasionally?

All games evolve.

2. Well, Half Life 2 didn't really use physics for the core gameplay. The Silver levels do.

3. Psi Ops might use physics in gameplay, but it cannot be as complex as this game's. The physics in this game clearly show off the abilities of a next gen console. I'll admit I never played Psi Ops, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the Silver levels.

Top Bottom