• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Newcastle here. People i know except for expanded family only play the big games from the likes of EA, Ubi and Activision. When I tell them about different types of games from other regions, the whole concept seeks strange to them. Funny thing is they like those games when they play them, but would have never done so without encouragement from myself

Yep. It's all COD here which is ironic considering Grimsby is a fishing port ...

ZhugeEX

Banned
Newcastle here. People i know except for expanded family only play the big games from the likes of EA, Ubi and Activision. When I tell them about different types of games from other regions, the whole concept seeks strange to them. Funny thing is they like those games when they play them, but would have never done so without encouragement from myself

I'm just outside London and it's COD and FIFA here. That's pretty much it.

I'm not a fan of Football myself so it's hard to play online with my friends as I'll be playing something else and they'll all be playing Fifa. Of course there are exceptions but generally everyone I know just plays those two games and a handful of others.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, co-worker bought some PS4 bundle that included The Last of Us.

He wanted to immediately sell it. Another co-worker told him to play it first to see if he likes it and now he loves it. Singleplayer and multiplayer.

We don't have Microsoft exact info (I was hoping for a mention of 10 million sold through) but 10-11M is an extremely safe bet.
Sold through? Mind showing your work on that one?

But I'm with GribbleGrunger, when I hear about lead I think about a lead in actual units, not a ratio. When I want to talk ratio, I use that term.
Ratios are far more relevant that absolute numbers, and the latter can be fairly misleading. Look at the 2013 sales. 4.2M vs. 3M. A lot of people looked at that and said, "pfft Sony are only ahead by 1M units! That's nothing!! So at the end of the generation, we're looking at 100M vs. 99M; MS are fine." As I tried to explain at the time, it's more correct to look at those numbers and say, "Sony already have a 40% lead, right out of the gate!"

Another example of ratios telling you more than absolute numbers: sell-through in the launch quarter. MS shipped 3.9M and sold 3M, while Sony shipped 4.5M and sold 4.2M. A lot of people looked at those numbers and said, "900k in the channel is perfectly normal! Nothing to see here!" But if you look at the ratios, that's only a 77% sell-through in the quarter that Sony managed a 93% sell-through, and on a larger shipment. The writing was on the wall by New Year's, but no one wanted to see it.

"Sony only out shipped them by 10-12M this year! They can easily overcome that; the generation has barely begun!" No, Sony shipped like 200-250% of what MS shipped this year, and likely with much stronger sell-through. That ratio is likely to increase in 2015, just like it increased in 2014.

Apologies. I think maybe I got my english wrong when typing out what I was trying to say.
I think you were clear. A lot of people don't seem to realize that ratios are really what we should be focusing on here, because they better tell the tale.

cheesekao

It'd be nice if Sony provided us with sales numbers for each region. I'm mostly curios as to how the PS4 is doing in anywhere that is not the US/EU.

It depends on where you live I suppose. London is great for variety but Grimsby is dark, dreary, aggressive and culturally bankrupt. I feel like an in-mate here. Elton John once wrote a song about it ... so at least we have that.

Pretty much all of South London is the same, mate. The only nice place to live in London is the posher parts of West London. Utterly depressing lol.

cakely

After reading this thread I'm fairly certain that Artisan has been masterfully trolling everyone. He's clearly aware of exactly how far he can push it. :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It'd be nice if Sony provided us with sales numbers for each region. I'm mostly curios as to how the PS4 is doing in anywhere that is not the US/EU.

We have US and Japanese numbers and I'm sure there's a Gaffer somewhere who has a decent grasp of how many the PS4 sold in Europe, so it's just a matter of deducting that from the 18.5m to see what it sold in the rest of the world. Perhaps Creamsugar could help?

I'm going to 'guess' and say 2m - 2.5m.

I'm even struggling to think of the other regions lol. Australia, Africa, India, Brazil, Russia ... erm ...

We have US and Japanese numbers and I'm sure there's a Gaffer somewhere who has a decent grasp of how many the PS4 sold in Europe, so it's just a matter of deducting that from the 18.5m to see what it sold in the rest of the world. Perhaps Creamsugar could help?

pan-european gfk leaks are very hard to come by for a reason.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You hang around with the wrong group of people then. Wrong as in close minded and ignorant.
Don't make it sound like a UK thing, because it's not.

I mentioned in a later post that I was generalising.

But seriously, the amount of people who just play COD and Fifa is very high. Sales figures can back me up on that. Sales of games from other regions, e.g Japan are quite low in the UK compared to mainstream Western games and media.

And again, I'm just generalising. Ofc Nintendo probably has the biggest "foreign" IP's in the UK with Pokemon, Mario & Animal Crossing in terms of gaming IP.

cheesekao

I'm even struggling to think of the other regions lol. Australia, Africa, India, Brazil, Russia ... erm ...
That low, huh? I know it's just a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if it was that low. The cost of games are generally absurd outside of US/UK/JP. Many years back where I live, everyone and their mom had a PS2 due to how easy it was to obtain pirated games on it. Nowadays most people here just play F2P games on their PCs.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Hmmm, very very tough to guess.

My ESTIMATES based on official data we have would be the following as of end of 2014.

USA: ~6.65m (5.56m official as of Nov)
JPN: ~1.00m
AUS: ~0.20m+
UK: ~1.75m
GER, FRA, ITA, SPN: ~3.20m

Total: ~12.80m sold in 8 countries.

That leaves around ~5.70m for the rest of the world which would account for another ~115 countries/regions.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

My ESTIMATES based on official data we have would be the following as of end of 2014.

That leaves around ~5.70m for the rest of the world which would account for another ~115 countries/regions.

Mmmm, perhaps it's higher than I thought then.

I swear to God I have not been trolling.

1716%20-%20glasses%20scott_steiner%20suit%20tna.jpg

You're better off saying you're trolling.
I'm not though. If no one believes me then that's that, there's nothing I can do to change their minds at this point.
What are your sources for all these strange thoughts then? :)
I've explained myself in this very thread on page 60, here. Look at my response to the serversurfer.
That makes your statements even worse, dude.
I get that I may have annoyed people but it wasn't my intention to come off as trolling.
Denial is the first sign of guilt bro
Oh yeah. "guilty until proven innocent"?

You guys can believe whatever you want. I obviously can't change your minds if you've convinced yourselves all I've been doing is trolling but the truth is that I wanted to just have and participate in discussions in this thread. I admit I have made some wild and unreasonable predictions and I even explained why, but it is because I just have a lot to learn, I wasn't intentionally trying to piss people off but I can see that that happened anyway.

You guys can believe whatever you want. I obviously can't change your minds if you've convinced yourselves all I've been doing is trolling but the truth is that I wanted to just have and participate in discussions in this thread. I admit I have made some wild and unreasonable predictions and I even explained why, but it is because I just have a lot to learn, I wasn't intentionally trying to piss people off but I can see that that happened anyway.

They're just messing with you, don't take it seriously. But yeah, you should lay off the wild predictions and you shouldn't listen to certain Youtube gaming personalities, a lot of them don't know anything about what they're talking about.

OR MAYBE YOU ARE JUST A MASSIVE TROLL AND I'VE FALLEN FOR YOUR TROLLISH CHARMS!

Lady Gaia

Oh yeah. "guilty until proven innocent"?

It's not a court of law. I think everyone's going overboard, personally, but the burden of proof generally lies with those who have extraordinary claims. Most here seem to be looking for any chain of logic that backs up your beliefs. It doesn't mean you can't have them, you're just going to put up with a lot of disbelief on a regular basis when stating them.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Mmmm, perhaps it's higher than I thought then.

So based on the official numbers and my estimates we can see that UK, GER, FRA, ITA, SPN account for around ~5 million units. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Europe accounted for an additional 2m+ units. So ROW could be around ~3.5m ish. But I'm really just speculating tbh. We'll never know the exact figure for Asia, Middle East, South America and Africa.

Top Bottom