• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q1 Results

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Almost all sony divisions are profitable beside gaming and Others if i am reading chart right.

byt why is gaming losing money. they have very expensive ps3 which is made from the cheapest plastic and good selling first party games

PS4 R&D

Vita

Bsigg12

Almost all sony divisions are profitable beside gaming and Others if i am reading chart right.

byt why is gaming losing money. they have very expensive ps3 which is made from the cheapest plastic and good selling first party games

R&D for the PS4 being factored in. I wonder how long they can keep TVs profitable.

PS4 R&D and manufacturing costs, I think?

B.O.O.M

These results are good. I can't believe TV actually didn't lose them money..one hell of a turn around

PS4 R&D was to be expected too.

The good news is that every division looks profitable, besides Game and "other"(whatever that is) according to that chart. Very promising indeed.

Yep and gaming had R&D and manufacturing costs to be accounted for. Given that sony is about to earn money from online MP next gen coming years should look very good for the gaming division

There should also be a note the DS has been discontinued as well. It would have been interesting to have it be the greatest selling platform, but still the ps2 may deserve it more.

cchum

R&D for the PS4 being factored in. I wonder how long they can keep TVs profitable.

If they refocus on the high end with 4k, they may just find a niche there. I think it's pointless to try and fight the Chinese/Koreans on the low end.

Dat 8 GB GDDR5 definitely made a dent in the gaming division, lol

After seeing the horrible Wii U worldwide figures, suddenly the VITA figure doesn't look as bad to me.

AniHawk

Fair enough. I remember people being up in arms with Nintendo posting a loss last year before the Wii U launched, so I wanted to be sure. Thank you for the clarification.

nintendo lost $532m in 2012, which was enough to basically end sega back in 2000, so people threw up their arms in panic. last fiscal year and the most recent quarter they've posted operating losses, but because of the weak yen and things related to tax matters, they made close to $160m of that back since march 2012.

Striek

Gaming made a slight profit last year overall.

They revised their estimates for this year in the gaming section. They expect higher revenue and lower operating results (ie. they now expect losses) due to the yen depreciation and having fixed costs in U.S dollars. I'd copy/paste the revelant section but the document is copy-protected.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
These results are good. I can't believe TV actually didn't lose them money..one hell of a turn around

PS4 R&D was to be expected too.

Yep and gaming had R&D and manufacturing costs to be accounted for. Given that sony is about to earn money from online MP next gen coming years should look very good for the gaming division

They have cheaper Bravia line right now (in my country they are now close to Samsung and LG HDTVs prices).

Good luck with that 5.0 million portable projection Sony. You can join Nintendo in the looney bin

I wonder if the game division will profit in the next 5 years for an actual FY
I think they'll probably miss forecast, but not by nearly as much as Wii U. The PSP is actually still selling in Europe iirc.

PS4 R&D

Vita

Trust me there not loosing any money on Vita. They basically profit on everyone unit sold, or at the very least break even. But profit overall cause of the accessories and software. Thats why the very low numbers doesn't freak them out. No matter what they sell of the thing there making some money off it, although a very small amount.

Vita's situation is a much easier to fix.

Haha, an obliterated handheld market is not easy to fix. Let me guess you think a price drop will solve everything. Vita's western lineup is horrendous from a selling perspective

I think they'll probably miss forecast, but not by nearly as much as Wii U. The PSP is actually still selling in Europe iirc.

Well certainly since they would have to sell 0 units to miss it by that much. Relatively percentage wise, we'll see.

nintendo lost $532m in 2012, which was enough to basically end sega back in 2000, so people threw up their arms in panic. last fiscal year and the most recent quarter they've posted operating losses, but because of the weak yen and things related to tax matters, they made close to $160m of that back since march 2012.

Individual quarters are different to the full year's loss. Before we new Wii U's fate, people were panicking over the results around this time, iirc.

Vita's situation is a much easier to fix.

Really? Do tell, I'm sure one of Shahid or Adam is reading this very thread and would love to know your Vita resurrection plan. Bear in mind that almost all of SCE's resources (money and development time) is going to be dedicated to ensure PS4 doesn't flounder in its early years like PS3...

Not sure if serious.

Combined PSP and PSV sales are only 0.6M for the quarter. There is no hiding how much the PSV is failing.

They should really stop that PSP/PSV combining for boasting purposes. Nintendo isn't even ashamed of releasing 10k Wii U Q1 sales for a region. For example, it's like if Nintendo combined Wii U and Wii sales.

Donthizz#

good to see Mobile division doing well, could have done better if Experia Z had a better battery life, anyways excited for Sony Honami.

B.O.O.M

Also sounds like they won't launch PS4 in Japan this year after all

'imo' that's smart. EU and Americas are much more important strategically. I think if the wiiu was selling better they would have gone a different route but as it is they can ride the ps3 along for a while longer in JP market

so it looks like Sony experienced a sales increase for most of its products compared to last year. Its television and smartphone division is finally profitable... the improvements are a very good sign

Sure, the handheld market took a hit with tablets and smartphones but it's not dead.

The handheld market sunk because the two manufacturers priced themselves out of the market.

So whats the easy fix? Is Vita going to stop selling less than 20k a month in the US

Sony's smartphone division is doing really well. It must be Europe because i never see anyone in the states with a sony smartphone

Wynnebeck

Banned
Now you see why Sony is getting ready to charge for online. They would have to be fools to not see how much revenue they could bring in by doing so after seeing MS rake in cash.

Wait how did the TV division become profitable? I thought that was the most fucked up sector of Sony

Sony are no longer a primary component manufacturer for TVs, their fixed costs are almost nil for production, and most of the assembly is in China except for their top end 4K TVs which have a huge profit margin anyway.

Getting out of manufacturing means Sony use almost the same business model as Vizio, but with a higher QC level. It also allows them to react to the market better, they don't have to keep producing LCD panels even if the market only demands half the amount, some other company (Sharp, Samsung, LG, AUO) bears that burden. It means Sony will never be massively profitable and they never really control their own destiny, but it also means they won't lose another $9bn trying and failing to make their own TVs.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Awesome job SONY!!!!!
Now I hope Panasonic makes a phenomenal comeback.
Sony TVs are great just not as perfect as Panasonic.

Walmart shoppers your shitzio TVs will never compare.

Japanese electronics >>>>>>>>>> Korean electronics That includes you as well samsung

'imo' that's smart. EU and Americas are much more important strategically. I think if the wiiu was selling better they would have gone a different route but as it is they can ride the ps3 along for a while longer in JP market

Also, they'd likely not do as well as the other territories against Mario, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter this Christmas in Japan with Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone at launch.

AniHawk

where did you get this?

I-hate-u

What income? lol

Why is the operating income in the negative? All of the Playstations are profitable (not sure about the Vita) and they had strong software sales through out the year. My only guess is a lot of money that is going into PS4 development right now that is putting the games division in the red.

Duxxy3

So whats the easy fix? Is Vita going to stop selling less than 20k a month in the US

Sony's smartphone division is doing really well. It must be Europe because i never see anyone in the states with a sony smartphone

Drop the price when it's possible to still make a profit on the system. That goes for Sony moreso than for nintendo. Nintendo needs to make a large profit on every 3ds sold.

If it's not possible to make a cut that will improve sales, then don't cut. I thought we would see a cut back in february along with japan. I'm still confused why there wasn't one.

B.O.O.M

Also, they'd likely not do as well as the other territories against Mario, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter this Christmas in Japan with Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone at launch.

lol they would have sold well at launch no matter what Nintendo would have put out. Seriously doubt that's a concern. The primary focus should be in having as many units as possible for the launch months in Americas and EU

Btw only one of those are for a home console this year and even that is the 3d game iirc. Different markets and different target audiences

Drop the price when it's possible to still make a profit on the system. That goes for Sony moreso than for nintendo. Nintendo needs to make a large profit on every 3ds sold.

If it's not possible to make a cut that will improve sales, then don't cut. I thought we would see a cut back in february along with japan. I'm still confused why there wasn't one.

Because the western lineup has been shit. They are waiting for killzone and tearaway

Final note, the mobile division seems to be picking up speed, record number of shipments (9.6m, up 30%) and a 15% increase in ASP on a CC basis. Operating profit of $60m for the division, but that is masking the failures of the Vaio division, Xperia probably made in excess of $150m operating profit this quarter, I'll have to crunch the numbers later. Mobile phone revenues are up 65% which, again is very, very impressive. It puts SMC at number 4 globally after Samsung, Apple and LG, but number 2 in terms of ASP behind Apple (who are way out in front at $576 vs $330 for SMC).

Top Bottom