• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Calls God of War PC a Success

Stuart360

have you seen the library epic has, compared to steam?

This is the OG xbox vs ps2 situation.

Epic needs tons of 3rd party publishers to put their games on the store. This way, they can attract more users.

No one will bother a store, when it doesnt have enough games.
Exactly so whats your point?. You just basically said yourself that the store isnt very popular.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I returned it after 30 mins of 'playing' this crap. Sorry.
Why don't make classic GOW but much better, with new technology, fun combat and all the knowledge we have since GOW4...?
I'm done with those 'games'. 3rd person bullshit with boring combat, millions of cinematics, a 'companion' and 'puzzles'.
Basically whole game is a movie with occasional gameplay to fill the gaps. IMO.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Look at activision revenue. Their store almost made almost the same amount of console users.

If Sony is careful with their store, they can make a bank.
True but Activision is a behemoth in massive multiplayer online games with COD and WOW. That's where a huge chunk of the PC crowd is.
Sony is a single-player game factory with zero MMO success.

That could change of course.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
More people will see how Sony Studios are just untouchable when it comes to delivering these kinda games

Yall think GOW was good, wait til you play TLOU 2 :messenger_weary::messenger_weary:

Stuart360

I returned it after 30 mins of 'playing' this crap.
Why don't make classic GOW but much better, with new technology, fun combat and all the knowledge we have since GOW4...?
I'm done with those 'games'. 3rd person bullshit with boring combat, millions of cinematics, a 'companion' and 'puzzles'.
I have quite enjoyed the game overall. Still havent finished it, and god only knows how it got the scores it did, but i have had fun with it.
GOW3 will always be the pinnacle though. I mean there is more epicness in GOW3's opening than the whole of GOW.

kingfey

Banned
It's PC only games that tend to act like that. I have all the consoles AND a pretty powerful PC and still prefer playing on consoles because they are right under my TV and everything works out of the box.
everyone is not like you. Some people want to play on consoles only. Some people will want to play on pc only. You cant force these people to come to either device.

The idea that Sony or MS would make more money by going PC only or even releasing PC Games on day one is ridiculous.
Its extra revenue. That money goes in to game sales. They dont have to abandon their consoles.

here is example
If I have 2 lemonade stands, and there is another 2 next to me, which I can rent. I will be able to sell more lemonades that way.

These lemonades are their 1st party games. People who buy consoles will buy consoles. people who wont buy consoles wont buy the console at all.

Now these 2 users would pay money for your 1st party game. and double dippers would pay you double price for the game. That is more revenue for the 1st party.

PhaseJump

Banned
I returned it after 30 mins of 'playing' this crap.

I bought it on PS4 and threw it aside for years. I bought it again on Steam once I realized I wanted to play 3rd person bullshit with boring combat.

Life is full of tough choices, boy.

Lognor

Banned
Yep, the idea is to do it in this order:
  1. Selling the game on console at full price
  2. Selling the game on console discounted or apply a price drop
  3. Maybe sell a DLC or two, or release some post launch update
  4. Include the game in PS Plus / PS Now / PS Plus Collection
  5. Once it doesn't generate revenue anymore in console, if it has potential for good PC sales, port it to PC
They have to keep some of their games forever in PS, and the ones ported to be released on PC years after the PS release to make sure they use their first party games as selling point for consoles and save the 30% of all the biggest amount of game sales possible.

The benefits for thehm of having a player buying the game in their console goes beyond saving that 30%, since they also profit from the sale of the console, accesories, the other half a dozen games each player buys on average and the extra revenue he provides from game subs. But they know some players will never buy a console, so to release some games in PC even if it's years later makes sense.

Once they have a good chunk of PC games will be time to release their own PSN PC store and launcher, adding cross save, (ideally crossbuy), cross play and crossplatform chat to move all their PC games there, avoid Steam and also include there 3rd party games.
No, I don't like your steps at all. It sounds like it is coming from a PS fanboy that doesn't want Sony games to come to PC in a timely manner.

Why would Sony want to continue to sell a game for $60 or $70 for a few months and then drop it to $20 or $30? That is what consistently happened on the PS4. Things have been slightly different on the PS5 as games have maintained their high costs (probably due to a lack of competition and fewer consoles sold at this point).

What makes more sense is this:

1. Sell the game on console at full price
2. DLC and post launch support for the next 6-12 months (keep game at full price)
3. Release on PC at full price
4. Slowly start to offer discounts as sales start to drop
5. Once it doesn't generate much revenue anymore include it on PS Plus and/or PS Now

My steps make a lot more sense and will maximize revenues for Sony. Again, doing it your way sounds like the steps of a Sony fanboy bitter that Sony games are releasing on PC.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I have quite enjoyed the game overall. Still havent finished it, and god only knows how it got the scores it did, but i have had fun with it.
GOW3 will always be the pinnacle though. I mean there is more epicness in GOW3's opening than the whole of GOW.
It's great that you liked it. I loved GOW 1,2,3 but not this one.

It’s crazy to think it’s taken Sony until 2022 to really push into live service Gaas games. It’s like they were adamant to avoid it for years, and a lot of the fan base often echoed sentiments of the unwant for those types of games, yet here we are. Sony seem to be throwing as much at the wall as possible (ten games in 4 years).

I hope it pays off for them as I welcome all types of content if it is good, and I don’t think they will drop any of their key big hitting games either as it seems like they are very much building their business not taking it away.

bring more games to PC asap, starting with bloodborne! Thanks
Imagine praising gass and microtransactions, jeesh... Also what does God of war , a single player traditional game, have to do with Gaas? Games as a service is "you will own nothing and be happy" bullcrap. I don't like gaas as it has ruined the mobile phone gaming industry and now you see more money being put into shit multiplayer games like fortnite, apex, etc... then legit good full single player games or good old school multiplayer.

Why stick up for gaas, a parasitic form of game development, and made for the lowest common denominator, not niche genres.

I do agree with your last statement. Bring games to PC and we will buy them. (especially me as my ps4 is dead and ps5 is imposible to get. Need to give my ampere card a workout.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine praising gass and microtransactions, jeesh... Also what does God of war , a single player traditional game, have to do with Gaas? Games as a service is "you will own nothing and be happy" bullcrap. I don't like gaas as it has ruined the mobile phone gaming industry and now you see more money being put into shit multiplayer games like fortnite, apex, etc... then legit good full single player games or good old school multiplayer.

Why stick up for gaas, a parasitic form of game development, and made for the lowest common denominator, not niche genres.

I do agree with your last statement. Bring games to PC and we will buy them. (especially me as my ps4 is dead and ps5 is imposible to get. Need to give my ampere card a workout.

I wasnt Praising Gaas or micro transactions don’t worry. im with you on that I would rather take great single player and classic multiplayer stuff but the latter ain’t happening no more, there will always be battle passes and shite now.

interested to see what sony do the space that’s all. They might not nail it at all and make A right mess.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Source

There's also talk about the Bungie deal but the fact that Sony thinks it was a success is great news. Seeing more titles like Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima in my mind would have similar success.

I'm wondering will they reduce the cap between launching on console and pc after this. I don't think day one will happen anytime soon but maybe months after not years

I think for most 1st party single player games, the smallest gap we'll see is 6 months. And that's only to make sure the PC version actually is a proper PC game and not a PS5 rehash.

I'd have agreed with you a few months ago, but now i'm pretty sure their strategy leans more on GAAS and multimedia franchises. In that case, day 1 releases aren't an unlikely scenario.
Where are you guys getting this Gaas crap, from Sony releasing god of war, days gone, etc.. single player games on pc. These are not Gaas. Those types of games are f2p fortnite, warframe, etc.. and all the mobile crap games with "buy our gold" to get past the paywall or play the same shit for hours. I can't stand those types of bs multiplayer centric grind heavy, incomplete games. I refuse to participate in those style games. I want to unlock stuff by working for it, and buying games outright not renting them.

If you guys are right then i will be content with indies and other developers who still make classic single player and some multiplayer (think quake, unreal torn, old cod/bf) style games.

It has broke even sure, and probably make a couple of bucks for unit sold now. Hardware is extremely low margin in the best times. In fact, Sony price hardware as a loss leader at the beginning. Sell hardware at a loss/low margin, make bank with software/services.

Now the problem is hardware is constrained. Sony can't sell enough units. No hardware means noone to sell the software to make money. Hence the foray into other avenues like PC.

kingfey

Banned
It´s like you don`t understand that PC != steam.....
Steam user numbers don`t matter at all. It´s used for gaming metrics because it`s currently the biggest vendor there, but alternatives are literally only a click away,....
To make it simple: Steam is not the PC platform holder and never can be because PC is an open platform.
MS already has their own Steam alternative, and Sony will most likely follow suit in the future.
That is like saying MS shouldnt put windows word on apple devices, since they own windows.

That is not how it works. Steam users arent the same as windows store users. They are like their own console store at this point. 120m numbers is like ps4, and switch numbers. That is alot of users on the table, which these companies would ignore.

If you are a business, and want to expand your business, you need those type of audience.

You are treating steam, like its tiny store, and not this massive store. Even if they are a vendo, it wont change the fact they have massive amount of users. MS store on other is shit, and needs complete overhaul. It will take time, before they get close to steam numbers.

kingfey

Banned
Where are you guys getting this Gaas crap, from Sony releasing god of war, days gone, etc.. single player games on pc. These are not Gaas. Those types of games are f2p fortnite, warframe, etc.. and all the mobile crap games with "buy our gold" to get past the paywall or play the same shit for hours. I can't stand those types of bs multiplayer centric grind heavy, incomplete games. I refuse to participate in those style games. I want to unlock stuff by working for it, and buying games outright not renting them.

If you guys are right then i will be content with indies and other developers who still make classic single player and some multiplayer (think quake, unreal torn, old cod/bf) style games.
did you not hear the news?

Sony is planning to make 10 GAAS games until 2026.

Haggard

Banned
What the fuck is this minimal effort crap? The game runs great on PC is largely free of bugs…what more do you fucking want? I’ve put over 22 hours into the game and have not had a single crash, bug or performance issue. The only thing I don’t like is the forced depth of field.

Your post is an example of bitching just to bitch.
How about you do a factcheck before blurting out like that if you don`t understand a statement? Hint: Porting personnel.....
That is like saying MS shouldnt put windows word on apple devices, since they own windows.
This sentence makes no sense whatsoever.
You are treating steam, like its tiny store, and not this massive store. Even if they are a vendo, it wont change the fact they have massive amount of users. MS store on other is shit, and needs complete overhaul. It will take time, before they get close to steam numbers.
Doesn`t matter when a different shop is just a click away. The amount of people who`d not get a game just because it`s on a different storefront is negligible. This isn`t like in the console realm where you`d have to buy extra hardware, and the whole "but the fanboys won`t accept any other store"-argument is just hogwash on PC as other publishers have already found out....
Yes there is always the very loud, very vocal enthusiast minority, but in the end that`s just a tiny echo chamber and most people just buy whereever it`s cheapest if they are interested.
The store user numbers may be important if you need an already existing big community to do the advertisement for you, but for a game like GoW or Halo I doubt it would matter much.

Last edited:

SSfox

Sold less that a lot of Japan Studio games, but it's success.

Kinda fail to follow with Sony logic recently...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sold less that a lot of Japan Studio games, but it's success.

Kinda fail to follow with Sony logic recently...

Because you have to consider ROI. This port was done by like 10 people total and generated 10s of millions. It’s not like SCEJ making a game from the ground up for 5 years then selling a million copies.

No wonder this sells, its a multiple GOTY and a good port. I think Sony should wait 1 year tops and bring every exclusive full price after that. I would buy it. Also i would gladly buy nearly all PS4/PS5 exclusives full price because first, i have a potent pc and second, i cant get my hands on a PS5 right now.

Also im quiete hesitant to buy a PS5 now because i think a pro version (or at least a important revision) is not far away and i dont wanna waste my money like i did on the basic PS4 (bought a PS4 pro in less then a year after that).

As mentioned before, Sony should publish them by themself. I allready have an Steam, Origin, GoG and Windows Store Acc. So i dont care anymore. And yeah Bloodborne next FFS.

kingfey

Banned
This sentence makes no sense whatsoever.
Why would MS put windows word, on an apple device? They are helping Apple ecosystem by providing windows word to them. The answer is simple. They want more users. Apple users bought MAC computer. They dont care about windows computer.

This is an analogy, that describes pc users who uses steam, and dont plan on buying consoles. Those users wont ever come to your console. So you have to go to steam, and sell your product there. this way, those steam users will buy your product. As for Sony, they have deals with epic. It kinda makes sense, why they put their games on epic.

Doesn`t matter when a different shop is just a click away. The amount of people who`d not get a game just because it`s on a different storefront is negligible. This isn`t like in the console realm where you`d have to buy extra hardware, and the whole "but the fanboys won`t accept any other store"-argument is just hogwash in the PC realm.
Yes there is always the very loud, very vocal enthusiast minority, but in the end that`s just a tiny echo chamber and most people just buy whereever its cheapest if they are interested.
It matters, when specific store has more library, more function, and more mod friendly, and has long history with PC platform. People go to where the convivence is located at.
Epic is trying to catch up to steam, by expanding its library content, and implementing more features. It will take a little bit longer, for them to be in the same position as steam.

As for those who ignore other stores, because they want to use specific store only, that is their problem. They are fools who wants to minimize their hobby.

The store user numbers may be important if you need an already existing big community to do the advertisement for you, but for a game like GoW or Halo I doubt it would matter much.
You kinda need those numbers. Game sales to numbers is low. Without huge numbers, you are unable to do enough software sales.
Even Halo, GoW need those users. It means more sales for them. You dont need people who are familiar with the game. You need new people, who never played the game. These will add to the existance users, and may potentially buy the next game.

Haggard

Banned
This is an analogy, that describes pc users who uses steam, and dont plan on buying consoles. Those users wont ever come to your console. So you have to go to steam, and sell your product there. this way, those steam users will buy your product. As for Sony, they have deals with epic. It kinda makes sense, why they put their games on epic.
The analogy still makes zero sense as we`re talking about an open ecosystem here.

IYou kinda need those numbers. Game sales to numbers is low. Without huge numbers, you are unable to do enough software sales.
Even Halo, GoW need those users. It means more sales for them. You dont need people who are familiar with the game. You need new people, who never played the game. These will add to the existance users, and may potentially buy the next game.
again.... games like Halo or GoW don`t need high community numbers in a singular store, they have thjeir marketing budgets which transcends those "borders".
Which store logo is at the end of the marketing material is basically irrelevant for the vast majority of users.
I get the importance of big communities for pretty much all Indi games, but the big publishers with media exposure and their own infrastructure simply don´t need that which is why we have all those launchers now.
PC gaming isn`t gated as it is with console hardware...it`s window(s) shopping.....

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I would love to replay Bloodborne for the 4th time on my new good PC tbh.
I think Sony by now should know and understand that Bloodborne will sell good if ported in a well made and optimized port for PC.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Its just the writings on the wall. Turning their games into movie and TV series. Buying Bungie, a GAAS centric developer, announcing the development of more multiplayer games...

die-hard-bruce-willis.gif

kingfey

Banned
The analogy still makes zero sense as we`re talking about an open ecosystem here.
Open ecosystem doesnt grant you users. You need to grow them. Getting alot of users takes time, money, and the Big hit IPs. Windows store is clear example of that. Despite having All big hits, they didnt utilize their store. Epic is in building face, and is trying to build a library. Only one that has a big userbase is steam. You have no choice, but to put your games there, if you want to sell your games. Unless you own your store like ubisoft, EA, and take2.

again.... games like Halo or GoW don`t need community numbers, they have marketing budgets. which store logo is at the end of the marketing material is basically irrelevant for 99% of users.
I get the importance of big communities for pretty much all Indi games, but the big publishers simply don´t need that, they have marketing budget.
When did we go to marketing? We are discussing the possibility of porting your games to pc day1. And steam stands out, due to the sheer amount of users, which generate alot of money.

big publishers would like bigger users. You get more chance from them, compared to low community. There are tons of games being sold all across the gaming stores. Its why MS, Sony doesnt put their big titles next to each other. They want to give them breathing time, so other users can buy them. But when there are other studio selling their games, they are taking customers from your game. That is where big community comes in. It gives you the chance for your game to breath, and sell alot of copies.

Capcom managed to sell alot copies on steam.

kingfey

Banned
would say just offer them on all launchers (but Xbox) and make it cheaper on your own launcher with cross-buy.
That is a good business. Especially with live service games, that is on the plate for Sony.

People will launch your live service games from your service, and you can sell your games to them. That is what take2 does to their store.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
this is imho the best solution. (minus the not xbox thing :messenger_winking: )
Win win for the publisher and the customer.

Of course sell it on Xbox if it's MLB, Destiny, or any multiplatform game. But a game that you want to hold some exclusivity to it it won't make sense to sell it on Xbox, and that's for games releasing on a later date like not day one. GaaS makes more sense to be released everywhere though.

kingfey

Banned
These threads always bring the best in people.
I know for 1 fact, that Sony doesnt not in 1 bit interested in my ideas, or whatever we say on these threads. Same thing for xbox with their xcloud, gamepass whatever shit they do.

Basically everything we argue here is useless.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Is spiderman a possibility?

We still don’t know what Nixxes is up to. Everything in the Nvidia leak was presumably being worked on before their acquisition. Also possible that they’re finishing up contract work for Square/whoever else.

Haggard

Banned
When did we go to marketing?
You go on and on about store user numbers when that is ENTIRELY irrelvant when you have marketing. The shop-logo at the end of bombast trailer 325 simply doesn`t matter.
You only need a 3rd party store if you either have no infrastructure for digital distribution, or you need community exposure due to not being able to put money into marketing campaigns.
The user numbers of store xy are absolutely 100% irrelevant for big AAA games with huge media coverage.
Most users will just click on "buy" in whatever store has what they are interested in for the least amount of money.
This "it has to be on steam day 1 because muh user numbers" is just nonsense as other publishers have already realized......

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You go on and on about store user numbers when that is ENTIRELY irrelvant when you have marketing...
??? dont you decide what its best for your game, when you are trying to sell it?
Store user numbers plays a pivotal role, because it gives you customers. Amazon shopping isnt the same as Walmart online shopping. The more the user the market has, the more customers will buy your product. Its a business 101.

You need a 3rd party store if you either have no infrastructure for digital distribution, or you need community exposure.
Sony doesnt have. unless they buy epic store. MS one is shit, and needs complete overhaul.

The user numbers of store xy are absolutely 100% irrelevant for a game like GoW or Halo with huge media exposure.
It matters when X store gives you more copy sold, compared to Y store. X store with 100k customers has more financial pull, than Y store with 5k customers.

Businesses aren't charitable. They sell products. They will sell it, where there is a high chance of selling it. No matter how poplar that medium is.

Haggard

Banned
The more the user the market has, the more customers will buy your product. Its a business 101.
PC has billions of users and they can all be reached via marketing. The store that`s used for distribution is secondary.
If store XY user numbers mattered as much as you think we`d neither have marketing campaigns nor launchers from every big publisher.....
But I think we`ve talked enough.

We´ll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So they're happy that releasing it on PC has helped GOW go from 20mil to 21mil.
Excited Wesley Snipes GIF by BBQ Films

Success was a given, but I'm sure it will do more over time.
Though they probably would have sold more releasing a Native PS5 Remaster 🤔

kingfey

Banned
PC has billions of user and they can all be reached via marketing. The store that`s used for distribution is secondary.
Broken down in to different stores. They arent 1 store business. and not everyone is signed to all these services. Nor do they sell 3rd party games like steam does.

If store XY user numbers mattered as much as you think we`d neither have marketing campaigns nor launchers from every big publisher.....
Its why steam is considered a monopoly, if epic didnt exist. They have 70% of 3rd party games on their services. Most 3rd party developers sells their games on steam. Capcom had a huge sale profit, thnx to steam.
That is capcom wanting to focus on pc, due to steam sales success.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
So they're happy that releasing it on PC has helped GOW go from 20mil to 21mil.
Excited Wesley Snipes GIF by BBQ Films

Success was a given, but I'm sure it will do more over time.
Though they probably would have sold more releasing a Native PS5 Remaster 🤔
its on ps+ collection.

Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.
Yeah..... Ok..... Ever seen Sony's prices for digital games? You'll miss the middle man giving discounts, because Sony isn't very generous in that regard....

zaanan

Banned
It has broke even sure, and probably make a couple of bucks for unit sold now. Hardware is extremely low margin in the best times. In fact, Sony price hardware as a loss leader at the beginning. Sell hardware at a loss/low margin, make bank with software/services.

Now the problem is hardware is constrained. Sony can't sell enough units. No hardware means noone to sell the software to make money. Hence the foray into other avenues like PC.
That I can agree with, and it would have been more accurate to say this in the first place.
Cheers! 🥂

Top Bottom