• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Calls God of War PC a Success

FingerBang

Exactly and I respect you for having a honest exchange instead of like others that use "PC master race" talking points and insults.
I'm too old to be a fanboy, simple as that. I've loved Sony and Nintendo since I was a kid, but in the end is the games I care about.

everyone is not like you. Some people want to play on consoles only. Some people will want to play on pc only. You cant force these people to come to either device.
Of course, I was making an example of myself. I know many PC first gamers and console first gamers. I also know "I have a powerful PC but I mostly play on Switch" kind of gamers. Weird kinks!

Its extra revenue. That money goes in to game sales. They dont have to abandon their consoles.

here is example
If I have 2 lemonade stands, and there is another 2 next to me, which I can rent. I will be able to sell more lemonades that way.

These lemonades are their 1st party games. People who buy consoles will buy consoles. people who wont buy consoles wont buy the console at all.

Now these 2 users would pay money for your 1st party game. and double dippers would pay you double price for the game. That is more revenue for the 1st party.
Ok, but think about it this way. You only have a PC. This new hot game, Call of Booty comes out and you really want to play it. Ah, it's only on Playstation. What do you do? Maybe you don't want a console and don't care about it. It will come out later on PC, you can wait. Good. Some people really want to play the game now though. So they buy a console and the game. And maybe a second controller, and probably a subscription to play it online. For Sony, the first party game is not about sales, is to make you buy the console.

Then the game loses steam and the sales go down. It's now discounted several times. THAT's the time you put it on PC. Because you get the PC only gamers who were waiting for the master race version of the game, but you also get people who bought it on console to double dip and take advantage of higher res and frame rate. Sony has made more money this way. That is how it works.

As a owner of a PS5 and PS5 Digital , Xbox Series X & S and Nintendo Switch OLED, I use my PC even more. There is a reason why the industry is heading to that direction right now.

There is a reason why its all collapsing and why they are all falling over themselves frantically releasing games on PC. They know they can’t survive off consoles, and are now making move towards other. The neat thing about PC gaming is the versatile forms. people can still enter PC gaming via laptops or older PCs, or with cloud gaming streaming such as Nvidia GeForce Now.
Dude... that is not happening. Sony is struggling to produce enough consoles to meet demand and you think they're struggling? Are you serious? Last year was their most profitable year ever. They made more money than ever. How is anything collapsing?

If they were struggling they wouldn't be investing heavily in studios. They're releasing stuff on PC to make more money once a game stops making money on the console.

Also, again, the PC market is in serious trouble right now. There is no viable entry level card to build a $500 rig and PS5/XSS level of performance is going to be almost twice as much. You don't have to tell me how great PC gaming can be, I bought Dying Light 2 this morning to play it at higher res/framerate with ray tracing.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Ok, but think about it this way. You only have a PC. This new hot game, Call of Booty comes out and you really want to play it. Ah, it's only on Playstation. What do you do? Maybe you don't want a console and don't care about it. It will come out later on PC, you can wait. Good. Some people really want to play the game now though. So they buy a console and the game. And maybe a second controller, and probably a subscription to play it online. For Sony, the first party game is not about sales, is to make you buy the console.
We call those gamers. They dont dedicate themselves to 1 device. If they like a game from another device, they will buy it.

For Sony, time is changing for them. They dont portable device. Their competitor have made cloud gaming service, they embraced the pc market, and are doing day1 games. Their consoles sold 12m. From business perspective, they would want to join that market soon. If they dont, they will be left out of revenue that is on the new market.
They arent like us, or nintendo. They want to increase their gaming sector, and they cant do that, if they stick with their console only approach.

Then the game loses steam and the sales go down. It's now discounted several times. THAT's the time you put it on PC. Because you get the PC only gamers who were waiting for the master race version of the game, but you also get people who bought it on console to double dip and take advantage of higher res and frame rate. Sony has made more money this way. That is how it works.
They can do that. Which is what they are working on. They cant rush out day1 games immediately, because that is alot of man power, and their studios doesnt have that capacity yet. for 3-4 years, it would be 1-2 year old games. Once they are comfortable, that is when they can do day1. But right now, its not feasible thing to do, with their manpower.

Day1 isnot easy thing to do. They will need a dedicated studio, that would help their 1st party studios. The longer they work on PC, and on their system, the more time they waste developing their games. the level of quality sony games, is hard to do both pc and Sony system in short time. God of war pc port took them 2 years. That is the level of work they have to put on.

FingerBang

We call those gamers. They dont dedicate themselves to 1 device. If they like a game from another device, they will buy it.

For Sony, time is changing for them. They dont portable device. Their competitor have made cloud gaming service, they embraced the pc market, and are doing day1 games. Their consoles sold 12m. From business perspective, they would want to join that market soon. If they dont, they will be left out of revenue that is on the new market.
They arent like us, or nintendo. They want to increase their gaming sector, and they cant do that, if they stick with their console only approach.
But see, I agree with this point you're making. They want to get into streaming, or better, improve what they're offering. They want a better alternative to Game Pass since PS Now hasn't worked out for them as Game Pass did. I don't think they think PC on day one is the way to go.

They can do that. Which is what they are working on. They cant rush out day1 games immediately, because that is alot of man power, and their studios doesnt have that capacity yet. for 3-4 years, it would be 1-2 year old games. Once they are comfortable, that is when they can do day1. But right now, its not feasible thing to do, with their manpower.

Day1 isnot easy thing to do. They will need a dedicated studio, that would help their 1st party studios. The longer they work on PC, and on their system, the more time they waste developing their games. the level of quality sony games, is hard to do both pc and Sony system in short time. God of war pc port took them 2 years. That is the level of work they have to put on.
I'm not sure about that. They had San Diego Studios go from making games only for Playstation to making games for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S and X... and this year even Switch! You are right that big games like The Last of Us or Uncharted need complete focus on one platform before getting a port, but don't forget Sony bought a studio entirely for that. I think we might start seeing PC versions coming out at around the 1 year mark instead of the 3-4 we've seen now, but also porting all those games will take time and effort.

I also think Sony might make more multi-platform games moving forward. MLB The Show was not their decision, but look at what they did with Bungie. They're going to be a Playstation studio that makes games for Xbox, PC and whatever other platform might come out. I think they will have tiers of games, some that are important for the Playstation brand and other that won't move consoles but might sell on the competition. This is the same strategy I think MS will use moving forward with Bethesda and Activision. Both Sony and MS are changing their mindsets, going form manufacturers to publishers. Because we don't know what the future will be.

Last edited:

Neofire

I'm too old to be a fanboy, simple as that. I've loved Sony and Nintendo since I was a kid, but in the end is the games I care about.

Of course, I was making an example of myself. I know many PC first gamers and console first gamers. I also know "I have a powerful PC but I mostly play on Switch" kind of gamers. Weird kinks!

Dude... that is not happening. Sony is struggling to produce enough consoles to meet demand and you think they're struggling? Are you serious? Last year was their most profitable year ever. They made more money than ever. How is anything collapsing?

If they were struggling they wouldn't be investing heavily in studios. They're releasing stuff on PC to make more money once a game stops making money on the console.

Also, again, the PC market is in serious trouble right now. There is no viable entry level card to build a $500 rig and PS5/XSS level of performance is going to be almost twice as much. You don't have to tell me how great PC gaming can be, I bought Dying Light 2 this morning to play it at higher res/framerate with ray tracing.
ArtHands is trolling at this point. He wants every game to release on PC and he has gone out of his way on this topic to try and convince everyone and even himself that this is happening. Fortunately it is not true

Sentenza

Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.
Nah, fickle off with that PSN garbage. We are fine with just the games, thanks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
considering the minimal amount of resources they spent on the port vs the sales numbers "success" is underselling it in this case.

Now imagine if they actually tried......
Guess it's too much to ask of people to be able to read and understand a single sentence. Stay dumb for all I care.

considering the minimal amount of resources they spent on the port vs the sales numbers "success" is underselling it in this case.

Now imagine if they actually tried......
Again, where the fuck do you come across with "minimal resources spent on the port?"

What was the PC version of God of War missing that would made it better? I just went through the entire game. It ran flawlessly, was free of bugs, did not experience one single crash. Got around 90-120 fps with DLSS turned on. Couldn't have asked for a better experience aside from being able to disable depth of field.

I'll ask again, what would have been better if they had "tried" like you keep saying....

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

That’s looking to happen. Sony Playstation PC sales play a part in their most profit year last year, after all. They made more money thanks to PC. When I say collapsing, I am not talking about their PC initiative. Sony is struggling just like Nvidia and AMD are struggling to meet sales demand. If it isn’t collapsing, there’s no reason they are so aggressively investing into PC market and releasing their games on other platforms.

Steam is hitting new concurrent record in the last few weeks. That’s more serious trouble to consoles than PC.

gypsygib

Pretty great sales for a 4 year old game and for more than budget price. And the franchise got a big boost in mindshare popularity.

Haggard

Banned
Again, where the fuck do you come across with "minimal resources spent on the port?"
That's why I told you to factcheck. We do know.....
You neither understood the reference nor anything else from that first posting.
And since you obviously still can't be bothered to factcheck, or are too dumb to do it, and just want to argue, welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
They should release God Of War 1, 2, and 3 on PC.

Arguably better games than God Of War 2018.

The original trilogy felt like an epic adventure and the boss battles were balls to the walls awesome.

The boss fights in the latest game were BORING.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's why I told you to factcheck. We do know.....
You neither understood the reference nor anything else from that first posting.
And since you obviously still can't be bothered to factcheck, or are too dumb to do it, and just want to argue, welcome to my ignore list.
It doesn't work that way. You make a claim that is not being reflected in the real world experience then you expect me to research your claim. It doesn't work that way.

Bottom line:
God of War on PC is outstanding and everyone should play it if you don't have a PS5 and even then you should play it.

Digital Foundry just took a giant dump on your claim calling the PC port SUPERB.

I win. You lose. Leave the internet and spare yourself the embarassment.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They should re
JohnnyFootball
lease God Of War 1, 2, and 3 on PC.

The original trilogy felt like an epic adventure and the boss battles were balls to the walls awesome.

You clearly didn't fight Sigrun the Valkyrie. She was tougher than any previous fight in any of the God of War games, aside from maybe some of the Challenge of the Gods/Titans fights in 1 and 2.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Release Bloodborne you bastards!!! How many more signals do you need? Most played game on PS Now PC. 100k downloads of a fan demake that covers the first few hours of the game...
Why do you think a second party game is the same as publishing a 1st party game on PC? It would involve a new agreement with the dev and less profit per sale than publishing something they wholly own.

Graciaus

Why do you think a second party game is the same as publishing a 1st party game on PC? It would involve a new agreement with the dev and less profit per sale than publishing something they wholly own.
Bloodborne would sell more than all other Sony exclusives. Souls series exploded in popularity when DS1 came to PC.

Holammer

It doesn't work that way. You make a claim that is not being reflected in the real world experience then you expect me to research your claim. It doesn't work that way.

Bottom line:
God of War on PC is outstanding and everyone should play it if you don't have a PS5 and even then you should play it.

Digital Foundry just took a giant dump on your claim calling the PC port SUPERB.

I win. You lose. Leave the internet and spare yourself the embarassment.

97% user review score is a good indicator of a frictionless port.
They knocked it out of the park with GoW and Days Gone in that regard.

What's crazy is that is one of the most awful PC ports of all time. From's PC ports still aren't great IMO, but are at least now solidly in the "good" category.
From Software should praise the sun that Durante saved their bacon with DSfix.

Withnail

Sony owns Bloodborne. It would be very strange for them not to have the assets and source code and they can give it to anybody to do the port job.

But personally I don't think they will, my guess is the next big Sony PC port will be TLOU.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
97% user review score is a good indicator of a frictionless port.
They knocked it out of the park with GoW and Days Gone in that regard.
Pfft. 97% So lame.
sarcasm alert

According to Haggard Haggard it would be 100% "if they actually tried!"
4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.rsquare.w700.jpg

All kidding aside, I won't say it is perfect, I wish they would have had an option to disable the VERY annoying depth of field. There was also an excessive sharpness, that I have no idea if it was due to DLSS, the game itself, or if there was a screen setting I wasn't aware. My OLED had sharpness all turned down. But I think most people will be pleased with the port. It's 1000X better than the Horizon Zero Dawn port was at launch. YUCK!!!!!!!

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's not about how tough the battles but how exciting.
True. The fights did not have much in the way of variety, but they were still fun especially if you knew how to parry and evade, but those damn valkyrie fights especially that attack move where the drop on top of you, were a BITCH!!

Kokoloko85

easy ignore list entry. Trolls get more stupid by the day....
Must suck to be so poor that you have to stick to one platform and have an ego so pathetic that you even have to make up arguments why that is "good"

You sound like a delight.….. Some people havent got the money

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's PC only games that tend to act like that. I have all the consoles AND a pretty powerful PC and still prefer playing on consoles because they are right under my TV and everything works out of the box.

The idea that Sony or MS would make more money by going PC only or even releasing PC Games on day one is ridiculous.
You are contradicting yourself in the same post. Either the consoles work because they are consoles or they only exist because of forced exclusivity.
Look at Steam - PC is a completely open system and you can buy your games anywhere, but just in this thread you have multiple people who only want a game if it is on steam. Steam just works for some people.

OZ9000

Banned
True. The fights did not have much in the way of variety, but they were still fun especially if you knew how to parry and evade, but those damn valkyrie fights especially that attack move where the drop on top of you, were a BITCH!!

The posedian, Hercules, Hades, Cronos, Hermes, and Zeus battles were all very unique and fun to play.

There is not a single battle in the new game which I thought was interesting.

God of War 2 was also chock full of awesome battles eg Barbarian, Kraken, that Greek soldier you fight, Zeus etc (it's been more than 10 years since played so memory is a little hazy regarding the bosses).

It also doesn't help the hyperviolence from the game has disappeared. It was awesome beating Hercules to a bloody pulp or tearing off Apollo's head.

Furthermore, the boss fights in the old games had multiple phases. These battles are just like fighting a random NPC with 1000% health. The boss battles in 2018 fucking sucked tbh.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They should release God Of War 1, 2, and 3 on PC.

At least release 3rd game. It's pretty fun

What a shame, this definitely means Sony won't soon start doing day and day PC and Playstation, right? Of course it doesn't. They'll initially have them be a few months behind this is what Nixxes and Bluepoint will be for, I think.

FingerBang

You are contradicting yourself in the same post. Either the consoles work because they are consoles or they only exist because of forced exclusivity.
Look at Steam - PC is a completely open system and you can buy your games anywhere, but just in this thread you have multiple people who only want a game if it is on steam. Steam just works for some people.
I seriously don't understand where the contradiction is. If you read the other comments I wrote in this thread you'll see exactly what my position is.

I'm not against Sony games on PC at all, just saying Sony makes more money by launching it consoles first and PC later and that will keep happening for as long as Sony makes consoles.

Swift_Star

Banned
I'd have agreed with you a few months ago, but now i'm pretty sure their strategy leans more on GAAS and multimedia franchises. In that case, day 1 releases aren't an unlikely scenario.
Why would they do day one releases if HZD and GOW saw massive success years down the line?

yurinka

What a shame, this definitely means Sony won't soon start doing day and day PC and Playstation, right? Of course it doesn't. They'll initially have them be a few months behind this is what Nixxes and Bluepoint will be for, I think.
Consider that if to run PS4 games they have these PC requirements, with PS5 only games would need higher requirements and extra work to scale them down to make them playable in decent conditions for a majority of Steam users, who don' have let's say top tier PC hardware.

To make time until it's time they can keep releasing older games that require less horsepower and it's better to port them before porting newer games. On top of that, in PC Sony gives 30% of their revenue to Valve so until they don't have a PSN PC store they will prefer to milk all the revenue they can from thes games on console before porting them to PC, plus at the same time to keep them as exclusive (at least during some years) helps to use them as seelling point for their console.

yurinka

I'd have agreed with you a few months ago, but now i'm pretty sure their strategy leans more on GAAS and multimedia franchises. In that case, day 1 releases aren't an unlikely scenario.
Before acquiring Bungie they had over 25 games under development. After acquiring Bungie and knowing Bungie will release "at least" one game before 2025 they'll have 10 GaaS released until 2026. So pretty likely 2 o 3 of these upcoming Sony GaaS games are from Bungie.

So 8 of these over 25 PS Studios games under development -assuming they all are released before 2027- are GaaS. So around a third of the PS Studio games under development are GaaS, two thirds aren't. And half of them are GT -which already was GaaS- and external 2nd party games from Deviation, Firewalk and Haven.

The majority of Sony games won't be GaaS and like half of GaaS will be handled by Bungie and external 2nd party games. Sure, they are investing harder on GaaS but seems far from being their main strategy, they seem to be making some important first bets in different ways to see if someone sticks and they get their GaaS huge hit, but while focusing on non GaaS games.

Regarding multimedia yes, they also want to improve in this area bringing more PS IPs to movies, tv series and animation. But this barely require work from the gamedev teams and will provide them some nice secondary profits and extra fans that will help their game projects grow.

Seems that Sony are adding GaaS and multimedia to their existing stuff as something complementary, not as something to replace it.

Is spiderman a possibility?
I bet Sony will release the PC port of the Spider-Man Remastered + Miles Morales in 2023, some months before the PS5 release of Spider-Man 2.

And a few months before the TLOU tv show, probably late 2022 or early 2023, PC + PS5 bundle of TLOU1 remake + TLOU2 'remasttered' (probably as a Director's Cut).

Last edited:

poppabk

I bet Sony will release the PC port of the Spider-Man Remastered + Miles Morales in 2023, some months before the PS5 release of Spider-Man 2.
Will probably depend on how the rights are laid out in their contract. There is a good chance it would be almost impossible to release on PC.

Thirty7ven

Banned

So clueless, Bluepoint isn’t there to make PC ports.

poppabk

Marvel will say yes to free money, will review the contract if needed.
What free money? Do they get a percentage or do they get a lump sum? It's quite possible that this was all tied in to the movie deal rights which might make it a minefield.

Top Bottom