• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Xbudz

Scorpio got Sony to delay eh?
PJxjmeI.gif

ironcreed

Banned
A wise choice. The PS4 is just starting to really take off and it would be incredibly absurd to push another system over the top of it.

Raylan

Banned
If there is a price drop, some people will continue to purchase PS4's but if everything being shown Sony related is being shown at a higher resolution than vanilla PS4 or on a pc why would I spend $300 to play a watered down version of a game rather than waiting for a proper console to come out???

incredulous.gif

If there is a price drop, some people will continue to purchase PS4's but if everything being shown Sony related is being shown at a higher resolution than vanilla PS4 or on a pc why would I spend $300 to play a watered down version of a game rather than waiting for a proper console to come out???

Are you familiar with the principle of "limited resources"?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As if it's so hard to believe? Sony set a precident for doing this exact thing with the original PS4 launch. They heard the XB1 had 8 GB of RAM so they scrambled to add 4GB, since the original PS4 specs only had 4GB. They waited on MS to announce the price of the XB1, then they turned around and decided to unbundle the PS Camera from the system and charge $100 less than MS in the few hours between MS' press conference and their own. It isn't as if Sony hasn't actively been waiting on MS to show their hand first so they can undercut them this entire generation.

Fuck, people are still clinging to these false narratives. Still... in mid 2016.

Nikodemos

Surprised that the standard PS4 is gonna continue to be sold for the rest of the gen. I assumed the Neo existed because it was gonna be cheaper to manufacture in the long run and the standard one would eventually be phased out.
The OG PS4 will probably be made from defective Neo chips with bits fused off in production.

Alucrid

Banned

speak the truth. i'm still waiting to play uncharted 4 on a proper console

Good on Sony for doing this. Press would no doubt ask them about it all during E3. This eliminates that and we all know it exists which means they can focus on their E3.
What? If anything, it solidifies that most questions will be about it. Sony comes out and says "there's a new more powerful machine,but we're not going to talk about it yet" is inviting people to badger them about it.

Sony probably wants Microsoft to announce the Scorpio first so they can adjust the Neo's hardware to match it if it's indeed so much more powerful.

Occam

Of course they don't want to cannibalize regular PS4 sales, so the launch date will be announced as late as possible, just in time to allow ample promotion for PS4 Neo.

karma2578

Well if they showcase a lot of psvr at e3 and no Neo then I think people will be wondering if footage is running on ps4 or Neo

Raysod

Banned
What mess? The mess the Internet created through constant speculation? All the fabrication, lies and false rumours?

I let my friends buy what they want, I don't suggest anything. But if they asked me whether it would be worth getting one or not it would depend on how much they want to have one now, what they want to play (are the games out already?) and whether they are willing to spend more than $350 on a new console.

People act like this is going to change the world. It's not. This is the introduction of a higher priced, premium SKU. It will have limited market penetration due to its price. It is simply an additional option for those who can afford it.

All the information you could ever need as to what is going on is in the article if you care to read it.

Its not rumors when all the mainstream media wrote about Neo for months or when Sony executives talked about a possible stronger PS4, or when AMD in its fiscal reports talked about three new custom consoles APUs in the following months.

I believe that gamers now are more confused on what to do and that probably will make them choose to wait than to buy a current PS4 model.

I am a fun of the company and I love its products, but this is a communication mess that confuses people and investors.

Just wait to hear the press questions on Sony executives in E3. When the Neo comes out? is this running on Neo? will it have better framerate in Neo? etch

And let’s see how the market reacts to the news and how Sony stock will do in the following weeks, shall we?

"Both versions through the life cycle".

can we put an end to the doomsday posts about new PS4s every 2 years now?

I sure hope so. To me it was obvious how this would shake out. The NEO and future consoles like it would just be stop gaps for those who like that little extra boost of power, but before long you will get your backwards compatible PS5.

I wish Sony had come out and talked about it at E3 so GAFers and Journos alike could stop being dumb about this.

Let's look at your original post:

Unless of course xbox shows scorpio at e3 in which PS4 sales will tank

So you're saying that Microsoft unveiling an iterative Xbox upgrade at E3 2016 that is not expected to release until 2017 would tank sales of the PS4. But you fail to say how that would affect XB1 sales. So no one is buying consoles again until 2017?

I just don't see that as likely. That's the last I'll say on the subject but you have to understand you're moving goalposts.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They won't do the reveal just yet. They have to wait until closer to launch or people may hold off on buying ps4 until that drops.

Jln1221

Banned
Have no evidence of a trend from past showings, state a trend is now going to form (invoking the PC of all things). Your logic is bad.

You realize that both Sony and MS are overhauling their business models? There is no precedent in the console space for what is happening right now.

Yeah, you want to minimize the amount of time people know something better is coming, otherwise it'll hurt PS4 sales.

I don't think Neo will hurt the OG Ps4 sales at all. Not everyone has the money, or are willing to spend $400 to $500 on a console these days. It's for the enthusiast gamers who want the best. For those willing to spend money on the newest video cards when they release.

Top Bottom