• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Audioboxer

You realize that both Sony and MS are overhauling their business models? There is no precedent in the console space for what is happening right now.

If you're going to hedge your bets on E3 this year being full of PC and Neo footage at the Sony conference then prepare to be disappointed.

Dinjooh

edit: nah e3 is around the corner

Haha, you just came back right? No reason to risk it just yet.

They won't do the reveal just yet. They have to wait until closer to launch or people may hold off on buying ps4 until that drops.

Fully agree.

It's amazing what happens when you say anything remotely critical of Sony on GAF.

The persecution complex is strong with this one.

vivekTO

Its not the fun base that made up things.

All the respectful news sites made hundreds of articles about the system, its specs and even Sony policy in game releases on the system and they didn’t made a comment for months.

And they didn’t comment so they could measure the reaction of their fun base in a possible upgradeable console (every few years) model going forward.

We even got from Yoshida a comment that he was not sure whether there will be a PS5.

Would you honestly suggest to one of your friends to buy a PS4 today?

I will ask my friend if he wants to buy a 299$ ps4 sku or a 450$ upgraded ps4 , and let him make up his mind.
Why are you even suggesting, they are not priced same.is it really that hard to understand?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
lol look at this fool trying to make sense.
gtfo :p

giphy.gif

It's amazing what happens when you say anything remotely critical of Sony on GAF.

Your rhetoric is getting out of hand. You need to back up your claims. You are making statements based on feelings and your own desires. When you provide evidence, the responses will change.

Right, but it's not going to stifle PS4 sales for people who already own PS4. The thing is not finished yet. It will sell when it comes out.

It's...not going to slow ps4 sales to people who already own ps4...huh? I'm sorry, you lost me. We're talking about how ps4 sales will be affected by the NEO right? Unless you mean to say it will deter potential ps4 owners to wait for the new one, in which case, I would argue again that Sony wants to sell these people NEOs to begin with, assuming it still comes out within the FY. I don't feel the cannabalising arguement works here because both products within the same group, and are iterations of each other. The end goal is to get a PlayStation (or an extra one) into someone's house; both products achieve that end, but having two products broadens the spectrum of consumers you can tap into.

I am not saying no one will buy a PS4 mate, I am saying having rumors swirl about a console for 2 years before release aint helping the PS4.

This would make sense, if only the numbers backed it up. However Ps4 still selling like hotcakes. If anything Neo will keep the excitement going after the sales start peaking.

Allegedly there is already dev kits out for the Neo (?) so...

There were ps4 dev kits out with 4GB of memory as well, until devs came back to Sony and told them that MS had 8GB in the XB1, and that no next-gen system should have 4GB of memory. I believe it was IGN who just a few weeks ago posted an editorial article about this exact topic.

Jln1221

Banned
You have not said anything critical, you made up worst case scenarios that simply don't exist tht are devoid of any logic, and got called out.

I really didn't, I asked how this is good business for PS4 and no one gave me a logical response other than "NPD BRO"

ChrisD

speak the truth. i'm still waiting to play uncharted 4 on a proper console

So if we didn't know about the Neo, if the PS4 was the only thing we had and had known, you'd think the same?

I think you guys are letting this soon-to-be upgrade downgrade what we already have. PS4 isn't an "improper" console. It's not a top of the line PC, but is also no slouch.

[Edited fake with improper, misremembered the word I was replying to.]

Hello guys, been lurking here for a while and finally got my account approved.
For my first post I'll just say it was beyond obvious Sony never intended to reveal the Neo at E3.
You reveal this kind of stuff closer to release date, just like they did with the PS3 slim.
Im assuming a late August/early September announcement and a late October/early November release.

I really didn't, I asked how this is good business for PS4 and no one gave me a logical response other than "NPD BRO"

?? The sales numbers simply do not backup what you are saying, period. What evidence do you have that PS4 sales are tanking? The Onus is on you to prove your point.

There were ps4 dev kits out with 4GB of memory as well, until devs came back to Sony and told them that MS had 8GB in the XB1, and that no next-gen system should have 4GB of memory. I believe it was IGN who just a few weeks ago posted an editorial article about this exact topic.

That's also not how it worked. It has been said several times that the 8GB came about because the chips became available in time. If they hadn't come available, there would only be 4GB of ram. It is what it is

RexNovis

Banned
I have no idea why so many people were expecting to see it at E3. It would make absolutely no sense to unveil a new more powerful console only to then not release it for another minimum 4 months. Doing so would severely impact sales of the base unit in the meantime.

Consequently this even more of an issue for MS with Scorpio as the time from announce to release would be even longer if rumors are to be beleived. So while I fully expect to see MS unveil a slim SKU I seriously doubt they will be unveiling Scorpio at E3 either.

Jln1221

Banned
This would make sense, if only the numbers backed it up. However Ps4 still selling like hotcakes. If anything Neo will keep the excitement going after the sales start peaking.

I'm sorry but this does not make any sense. People are hyped for a better console so they're gonna buy an older one?

This new "more powerful but 100% forward compatible" trend is interesting - back when the SNES came out, there were complaints that NES owners couldn't play the new games, and were forced to buy the new console if they wanted to keep playing new games. Now here we are like 25 years later, and finally those complaints are being answered! It's an interesting new business model for the console industry, it'll be fun to see how it turns out.

SkylineRKR

I am probably not going to upgrade so late into the life cycle. I doubt we'll see a repeat of the last generation in terms of length, and I doubt a marginal upgrade like this is going to set us back for another 4 years (I hope not). PC is evolving rapidly, we'll get gimped console software regardless. Honestly I expect a PS5 announcement in 2019. Which would be 2 years after the Neo.

Maybe if my old PS4 breaks, then I likely just get the best version available (was a good incentive to get a Ps3 Slim last time).

I don't want indie games.

Well for one I wasn't even thinking of those and two I like how all "indie" games are one thing lol.

I feel like I stumbled in an alternate universe that is ruled by hyperbole and delusion lool.

Alternate? Have you forgotten...

Fair enough, didn't know that.

A million games have leaked already. That is his point.

That's not all of the games though.

I'm sorry but this does not make any sense. People are hyped for a better console so they're gonna buy an older one?

Every human individual is different, some will want the more expensive powerful one, most of the mass market will go with the cheaper one, it's not hard.

Jln1221

Banned
?? The sales numbers simply do not backup what you are saying, period. What evidence do you have that PS4 sales are tanking? The Onus is on you to prove your point.

Mate, he just announced it to the press today, what in the hell are you talking about?!?

What the hell is going on in this thread with the "scared of Scorpio" nonsense?

If they're not showing it, they're no showing it. If they're making changes to the system, they're making changes to the system. Some of you are embarrassing yourselves with this idiotic premature ejaculation console war crap.

Krakin

“We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,”

Horizon footage was running on launch hardware confirmed.

If you're going to hedge your bets on E3 this year being full of PC and Neo footage at the Sony conference then prepare to be disappointed.

There's still going to be a shit ton of high end pc footage (often with specific controllers plugged in for the respective console to fool people) like there is at every recent e3, both first and third party.

Top Bottom