• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

bidguy

Banned
Never know they doubled the PS4 RAM at the last second and even caught developers off guard with it.

People shouldn't just assume the spec list we have now is accurate for a launch box.

you think upping the ram is same as changing cpu/upping gpu clockspeed ?

im almost 100% sure a box the size of ps4 cant contain a full clock r480 there is no way.

icespide

Banned
Never know they doubled the PS4 RAM at the last second and even caught developers off guard with it.

People shouldn't just assume the spec list we have now is accurate for a launch box.
Sony literally had to tear open PS4s about to be shipped and shove more RAM in there. that's how last second it was

RexNovis

Banned
There is little more frustrating than taking the time to rebut multiple arguments only to then be dismissed with "thats not my real argument this is" and then get the exact same response on the rebuttal to the aforementioned "real argument." what an infuriatingly aimless debate tactic.

Again; the base design remained the same. They were taking advantage of a very late game density increase in memory chips from their provider. They didn't redesign the console with new hardware last minute.

Man people and their e-peen

Still can't disregard the possibility of a hardware up clock. To get the full 6tf out of the rumored hardware.

Raylan

Banned
It's what a majority of their last conference was, and I don't see them dropping the bombs this year like Shenmue 3 or FFVII remake. But please do tell what I have to be excited for in terms of something really cool and new at the conference. Literally 3 months of GAF hype building upon the speculation and rumours all cultivating to E3 and not getting any kind of news about it to instead just have a press statement just acknowledge it? That's literally the definition of disappointing to me.

So every E3 without Shenmue 3, FFVII:R and TLG was boring and disappointing to you? Sorry man. Maybe you have to choose a different hobby then.
Guess what: Maybe there will be new AAA 1st Party games, new IPs, new 3rd Party AAA games, new innovative indie games, etc. What about that? Interesting? Or do games bore you and you play with hardware only?

impact

Banned
“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

I wonder which big dev will be the first to not support a Neo version

GHG

There is little more frustrating than taking the time to rebut multiple arguments only to then be dismissed with "thats not my real argument this is" and then get the exact same response on the rebuttal to the aforementioned "real argument." what an infuriatingly aimless debate tactic.

He's clearly trolling, just ignore him. You're better than this Rex.

devkits are already out according to rumors so you wont see any meaningful upgrades

You know that's not how it works right? Development kits change specs all the time. Now this could end up the exact same spec we've heard but it also could change it has happened many times in the past even with dev kits in the wild

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Like I said earlier, it's a real mistake for Sony to not have it at E3, especially if the MS Scorpio is there, it'll be an interesting E3 I guess, the first time Sony could lose in years...

What do you think MS would show of Scorpio? We've received no word of dev kits being out and the rumor is it's a fall 2017 release.

Jln1221

Banned

Maybe join your local speech and debate club if you are that desperate to argue with people.

Good. Show games only and don't confuse or outrage the general public. They need time to explain very well what this whole system is about and why we need it. I still think this is only going to be show at PSX.

Yes. It was the right move for Sony. This e3 will be focused on great games - no need to spoil it by showing a new system that half the internet doesn't seem to want.

"This is a difficult time for juniors"- LOL

If you think posting or what people post of gaf matters at all to me then...

If your ability to post on an internet forum matters to you I'd suggest finding another hobby...

Did you even read my post? It was completely measured and reasonable. I'm sorry that you are too combative to see that.

I was trying to be cool and help your account survive the season, but it seems defending your ego is more important. You're a lost cause, man.

Who else would it be targeting expect from that audience?

We all know core gamers are going to be all over this because they'll want the best version of their games, the best graphics, frame rates, etc. The Neo will be my second PS4 day one. I just think the idea of saying this new PS4 is *the* PS4 for hardcore gamers creates an unnecessary dichotomy with the current system which is supposed to be the "best place to play." To me saying "it will take the PS4 gaming experience to a new level" or something similar would create the want for the new system without fostering the PSPoor idea.

Loris146

Never say never but seems unlike to me. I don't think they will change the apu or something like that. We'll see.

RexNovis

Banned
Not sure why you're so butthurt and desperate for an argument. Actually kind of strange that you're begging me to argue with you haha

No I'm asking you to actually state your actual arguement as apparently I have wasted my time replying to arguments that aren't your arguement multiple times. If your going to tell somebody repeatedly "that's not my arguement" then you should damn well tell them what the hell it is.

jdmonmou

Have Sony shot themselves in the foot by confirming the existence of Neo? Like why would you buy a PS4 when you can get the PS4 Neo masterace version later?
Yes, I think so. Sony needs to unveil this thing quickly and release sometime this year. Also, they are killing the momentum of the PS VR release.

bidguy

Banned
You know that's not how it works right? Development kits change specs all the time. Now this could end up the exact same spec we've heard but it also could change it has happened many times in the past even with dev kits in the wild

lol dont twist my words i never said they cant change specs. i said they cant change them in any meaningful way

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol

too bad we'll probably never know how it performs since I doubt they'll separate the Neo in sales reports.

It truly does not matter. It is the new chipset they have in AMD's roadmap, since the old fab is being phased out in foundries. Plays the same software, etc.. The OG PS4 will eventually be phased out more than likely when prices come down enough to lower the new machine in the same range.

Or if they stick with the lesser SKU, it will use chips that have bad CU's disabled and can't pass for use in the 4K model.

If they are profiting from day one, as expected, then this just continues to be PS4 ecosystem sales effectively.

Maybe join your local speech and debate club if you are that desperate to argue with people.

PSA: You know, I just came off a ban for being 'passive aggressive', just an FYI, junior bans are permanent.

Jln1221

Banned
Did you even read my post? It was completely measured and reasonable. I'm sorry that you are too combative to see that.

I was trying to be cool and help your account survive the season, but it seems defending your ego is more important. You're a lost cause, man.

Thanks for the advice!

Again; the base design remained the same. They were taking advantage of a very late game density increase in memory chips from their provider. They didn't redesign the console with new hardware last minute.

Man people and their e-peen

There is zero e-peen and you are all over reacting to my discussion because you guys are emotional and have worked yourselves up in this thread.

I'm simply saying you never know there could be hardware tweaks on the way on non finalized hardware. That isn't even remotely controversial and if you guys would calm down would be aware of that.

RexNovis

Banned

Right ok so whenever you take the time respond to a post I hope they say "that's not really my arguement though" and never actually explain what their argument is. You repeatedly wasted my time and refuse to actually explain yourself.

Paz

I wonder which big dev will be the first to not support a Neo version

I don't think that's what his quote relates to.

Doing flawless 100% BC is nearly impossible, even when the new machine contains the hardware of the old one inside of it ala PS2. There will always be the rare exception where a game is not BC and so making a statement like 'all' is not possible.

alright then tell us what kind of change you expect

I don't expect any. It's called wondering out loud. Like I said in my original statement I'm just curious if Sony is going to tweak some things. Maybe try to put a bigger clock increase on the CPU side or adjust the APU in some way. Maybe they will maybe they won't. It'll just be an interesting thing to keep an eye on over the next several months

Kayant

We all know core gamers are going to be all over this because they'll want the best version of their games, the best graphics, frame rates, etc. The Neo will be my second PS4 day one. I just think the idea of saying this new PS4 is *the* PS4 for hardcore gamers creates an unnecessary dichotomy with the current system which is supposed to be the "best place to play." To me saying "it will take the PS4 gaming experience to a new level" or something similar would create the want for the new system without fostering the PSPoor idea.
Right that makes sense yh it definitely will be interesting to see how they market it.

PS4 owners not hardcore enough confirmed.

bidguy

Banned
I don't expect any. It's called wondering out loud. Like I said in my original statement I'm just curious if Sony is going to tweak some things. Maybe try to put a bigger clock increase on the CPU side or adjust the APU in some way. Maybe they will maybe they won't. It'll just be an interesting thing to keep an eye on over the next several months

they wont risk fucking up ps4 compatibility by changing the apu

nillah

Banned
stockpiling

-games

tumblr_m8ne7yHLW41r097cj.gif

-vr
-new hardware

Right ok so whenever you take the time respond to a post I hope they say "that's not really my arguement though" and never actually explain what their argument is.

I don't think he knows what his argument is, he is just arguing and flip flopping over the place, and throwing around Sonygaf accusations, best to ignore like I have, it's clear what his intent is.

MogCakes

It truly does not matter.

(...)

If they are profiting from day one, as expected, then this just continues to be PS4 ecosystem sales effectively.

Gotta disagree here. The sales of the Neo do matter, how important the Neo is to Sony's overall strategy for this generation is the object of speculation. The Neo is a risky move that presents a number of possible outcomes, it's worth discussing how its sales may impact or play into Sony's plans.

I don't think that's what his quote relates to.

Doing flawless 100% BC is nearly impossible, even when the new machine contains the hardware of the old one inside of it ala PS2. There will always be the rare exception where a game is not BC and so making a statement like 'all' is not possible.

if the programming language, api, sdks and system architecture are the same then it should be easier than a PC to Console port. In this case its still an AMD x86 part with GCN using PSSL/GNM/GNMX. Should be relatively straightforward. Obviously I am oversimplifying as it will require dev work, qa etc. but nowhere near the LOE as going from exotic cell architecture to x86

jdmonmou

Sony aren't killing the momentum of anything
I just find it hard to believe there aren't some annoyed people who pre-ordered the PS VR back when they thought their current PS4 will offer the optimum experience. There probably are going to be VR games that run like shit on the current PS4 when compared to the NEO. Sony could've done a better job in unveiling these two pieces of hardware. Either unveil them together or the NEO before the PS VR.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
They want to see what Microsoft does/prices and what people think.

So far this generation Sony has pretty much out-witted the competition by doing things first. Launch first, launch more powerful, introduced VR, etc. Microsoft has been the reactive one trying to catch up. Why would Sony go back to PS3 mode and see what the competition is doing before acting?

MaulerX

Well this has got to be the weirdest way to officially announce/acknowledge that a rumored product does indeed exist. -'Hey guys, the product that we never said existed is not going to be at E3.' Weird times indeed.

they wont risk fucking up ps4 compatibility by changing the apu

The APU in the PS4k is already very very different than the one in the PS4.

That said again who knows what they plan on doing. This may be the exact specifications we've heard. It is odd though the atmosphere in this thread so I may be bouncing out. It's hostile as hell in here

Top Bottom