• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That is a great point I haven't seen mentioned. You simply will not be able to run Scorpio VR games (if it does have VR) on an OG Xbox One (that doesn't appear will ever support VR games).

That is going to be a bit confusing. Will MS have to have seperate game cases for Scorpio VR games so consumers are aware it will not run on their Xbox One?

Based on what I've read so far, my impression is that the Scorpio is not an iterative Xbox, but rather the next Xbox (that is also capable of running Xbox One games through backwards compatibility).

So I imagine Scorpio games will be in separate boxes from Xbox One games in general unless they have double packs similar to those Blu-ray + DVD things you see now (even if they're on the same disc effectively).

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Needs to be at least $899.99 more than VIVE so people know they are buying a premium product. Neo improved games should also have a $20-30 dollar premium. New PS4 Neo system and VR headset every nine months to keep with demand no need for PS5...ever.

So now that Sony has been clear on this all, what do you guys think? Will MS say anything about their Scorpio at E3?

On one hand i'd say they definitely won't, no real reason for it yet. But on the other hand, there was some stuff about VR games for Xbox planned for this E3, right? I doub they are going to bother with VR for the current Xbox One.....

It's not that simple. In any case, for as underwhelming as my proposition is- consider it a more realistic version that alings better with reality. Pick one- but to be honest, Sony will pick one for you because majority of people in this thread are scoffing at the $599 price point. I don't know how Sony will position a Neo at $499 with Jaguar, but we shall see what happens.

I want the $599 model, but the mass market isn't exactly privy on that price tag.

How is it realistic? If you take his word that $499 is the new minimum how is that justified with same specs as the $399 price point? Additionally he stated that the $499 price point would include a heavily upgrade CPU. Did components somehow increase in price over the last few months? A better version of rumored GPU is selling at retail for $199. What justifies the additional $300?

$499 is Zen or Sony is about to fleece some people under the guise of a "premium" model.

Mula

Three years ago, Sony made a 1.8 TF System for 399,-
Now they release a 4.5 tf System for 499,- ?
I don't know something feels wrong.

thuway

whats wrong with the ps4 selling bad and then eventually discontinuing it? Like nintendo and their third pillar crap. They dont need to keep selling ps4 consoles if the games are interchangeable

Im just worried because ill have to drop $800 canadian on this badboy and even $499 i was struggling to justify it to myself.

Man I'm not defending any of the choices above. The question is simple- which option seems more attractive to you? I'm an enthusiast so I don't mind the $599 price tag. The performance the $599 model gives is quite a punch and can rumble and tumble with some pretty decent PC's on the market.

The other option to me doesn't make so much sense. A $499 Jaguar Machine isn't attractive because irrespective of the TF increase, it still is bound to a very handicapped CPU.

It boils down to- do you want a machine that gets you 1080p 60 FPS/4K 30 in most cases or a machine that gets you an upper level of visual fidelity, but is only 100 dollars cheaper?

geordiemp

Based on what I've read so far, my impression is that the Scorpio is not an iterative Xbox, but rather the next Xbox (that is also capable of running Xbox One games through backwards compatibility).

So I imagine Scorpio games will be in separate boxes from Xbox One games in general unless they have double packs similar to those Blu-ray + DVD things you see now (even if they're on the same disc effectively).

MS strengths are they are better at backward compatibility and they have that virtual OS layer before the silicon...MS could just ship Xb1 games with a Scorpio mode after easter 2017, no different to Sony.

Man the question is simple- which option seems more attractive to you? I'm an enthusiast so I don't mind the $599 price tag. The performance the $599 model gives is quite a punch and can rumble and tumble with some pretty decent PC's on the market.

The other option to me doesn't make so much sense. A $499 Jaguar Machine isn't attractive because irrespective of the TF increase, it still is bound to a very handicapped CPU.

Why not a zen + 4.5 TF at $ 499 ? That would be a 60 FPS gaming machine.

I know this feel. You have to consider your options if your interested in Neo.

A $499 4.2 TF machine with Jaguar.
or
B $599 6 TF machine with Zen-Lite.

The only advantage is that Sony can defend the original PS4's value and it won't go into the trash. The original PS4 will sit on shelves and remain at a $299/249 level.

Theres a 600 dollar model in the mix now?

geordiemp

$499 is supposedly the minimum price point now so maybe, but doubtful.

499 + zen = 60 FPS gaming. Sony can put in as Many GPU cores they want, dont care.

499 + Jaguar would be a massive fail. Its like buying a 970 GPU for your PC and putting in an Atom to run it lol. I exaggerate but its not far off. Crazy....my head hurts..

499 + zen = 60 FPS gaming. Sony can put in as Many GPU cores they want, dont care.

499 + Jaguar would be a massive fail. Its like buying a 970 GPU for your PC and putting in an Atom to run it lol. I exaggerate but its not far off.

I'm going with $499 includes Zen, which would be awesome. The alternative is a joke and I don't think I can support it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Words don't really capture my feeling on this whole development. I feel... left out? That might be the right word. With kids and limited time, I can only really justify a console 'once a gen' to both myself and my wife. And I hate the feeling of being left behind, as suddenly I'm playing 'lesser' versions of games [especially, how will this effect multiplayer games?].

And then, when PS5 finally comes out, I'm going to be wary about the PS5.5 so I don't even know if I'll buy -that- at launch anymore like I did with the PS4.

So basically, now I don't see myself getting a console till the PS5.5... and by then, maybe I'll have talked myself out of console gaming altogether.

Darn. I really loved the current console lifecycle, with huge jumps at the end. Iterative just doesn't work for me [heck, I still rock an ancient, non-smart flip phone]. I don't buy ipads due to the iterative cycle either [bought a gen 1 right before the first gen, and it quickly became obsolete when they stopped upgrading the OS and everything started to stop working, so I sold it and didn't look back].

So. Yeah. Darn. It's too early to say how this will pan out, but I fear it's the beginning of the end for my console fun.

You can still buy a console once a gen - you just skip in between machines. You even get the benefit where after your 6 year wait, you can either get the new shiny expensive console, or the cheaper interim console that released a few years before but which is still an improvement over your current machine and will play all the same games as that new console that just came out.

Fuck off with that last quote. I don't mind iterative upgrades if it seems necessary (alongside PSVR for example) but If they start planning that way each console is going to be made with the knowledge they're going to release an upgraded one a few years down the line, meaning each time they'll probably skimp on the power.

"It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4," House explained.

Fishy choice of words by House. A plug-in upgrade to the PS4 that expanded its power would be a complement to it. The PSVR is a complementary device to the PS4. The Neo is a competitor to the PS4.

I also think Sony is dreaming if they think the cycle we see in the smartphone market can be replicated in consoles. The smartphone has become a central part of people's lives; part communication hub and part fashion accessory. Game consoles do not occupy such a space in people's lives. The general public is not going to drop $300-400 every year or two for a slightly better experience.

JaggedSac

Fishy choice of words by House. A plug-in upgrade to the PS4 that expanded its power would be a complement to it. The PSVR is a complementary device to the PS4. The Neo is a competitor to the PS4.

I also think Sony is dreaming if they think the cycle we see in the smartphone market can be replicated in consoles. The smartphone has become a central part of people's lives; part communication hub and part fashion accessory. Game consoles do not occupy such a space in people's lives. The general public is not going to drop $300-400 every year or two for a slightly better experience.

They won't have to drop $300-$400 every year for a new device though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If Sony are considering going big with zen and more GPU, they should consider doing the same. Brand new console that will still play your PS4 games, but 4K games are a separate SKU that won't play on your PS4. From a consumer point of view I don't think there would be much difference. Most publishers would still support both but simply release them as two versions. But they could also make 4K only games

Speaking more broadly about consumer reaction, House believes buyers have become used to frequent, and often costly, upgrades thanks in part to the emergence of high-end smartphone
Goodbye, console gaming. T'was fun.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My goodness.

Can't not wait for official shit, if it means these half baked 'interpretations' are gone.

Wishful thinking, I know.

DieH@rd

Banned
Smartphone cycle? Like every year? That's just too much for a console.

Nah. I expect that during PS4 generation, only Neo will come out.

PS5 will be the next console that will be "target" for development of games.

Smartphone cycle in this case means that consoles are switching from 6 year cycle to cycles that include optional mid-gen upgrades.

You can still buy a console once a gen - you just skip in between machines. You even get the benefit where after your 6 year wait, you can either get the new shiny expensive console, or the cheaper interim console that released a few years before but which is still an improvement over your current machine and will play all the same games as that new console that just came out.

Some people can't stand of idea of being in the lower "class" within a console brand. It makes no sense to me when we a playing vastly inferior versions of most games by virtue of being on console in the first place.

If Sony are considering going big with zen and more GPU, they should consider doing the same. Brand new console that will still play your PS4 games, but 4K games are a separate SKU that won't play on your PS4. From a consumer point of view I don't think there would be much difference. Most publishers would still support both but simply release them as two versions. But they could also make 4K only games

That would take up shelf space and they would have to print 2 versions .
Truth is both version being on one disc is better for Sony , pubs and retailers .
Plus no one is going to be making NEO or Scorpio only games for a long time.

le-seb

You'll certainly be able to play PS4 games with the PS5, but it's very unlikely the PS4 consoles will be able to run PS5 games.

It's definitely an idea, but I don't think they will do this.

For one, it is too reactive. They need to commit to a plan that is right for their PS4 business, and building on the PS4 userbase is the immediate concern. IMO.

Conversely, Microsoft's concern is to restart the generation. So it makes sense they have a plan that fits those interests.

Separating into SKUs and exclusive games for Neo will be a confusing proposition for PlayStation owners. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, say to combat against Scorpio.

But I think making a plan as a reaction is not a way to make a good plan. It needs to account for what PlayStation has now and what they plan to do going forward.

thuway

Theres a 600 dollar model in the mix now?

I am stupid and my predictions were all wrong before. My new prediction is the $499 model is the current one with the leaked specs, and the $599 is the one in option B. Pick your poison. Option A is double + PS4, Option B is nearly 3X PS4.

Congratulations Sony you just lost out on a PSVR sale. I'll buy this instead.

In my case I actually built a new rig and plan to buy a Vive instead. If we are going to cycle consoles anyways and I want to remain on cutting edge PC route will always be best (minus exclusives of course)

Kyoufu

I don't think you know what competitor means. Xbox One is a competitor as it potentially takes away dollars from PlayStation. PS4K/Neo *is* a PS4. It doesn't harm Sony if people opt to buy the premium product over the standard one.

brian577

Banned
Both are gonna be profitable niche products intially so I doubt it matters to them which one you buy.

How many others will make the same decision? Two major hardware releases in a year? It's going to cannibalize sales. If the choice is PSVR with poor performance or a more powerful PS4, I'm going to choose the later.

I am stupid and my predictions were all wrong before. My new prediction is the $499 model is the current one with the leaked specs, and the $599 is the one in option B. Pick your poison. Option A is double + PS4, Option B is nearly 3X PS4.

You still have not explained how you arrived at the conclusion that the price has increased by $100 but the specifications remain the same? What is realistic about this?

I don't think you know what competitor means. Xbox One is a competitor as it potentially takes away dollars from PlayStation. PS4K/Neo *is* a PS4. It doesn't harm Sony if people opt to buy the premium product over the standard one.

It's competition in that (in my estimation) the PS4 will become a budget platform where the target fidelity is the Neo and things on the PS4 will be left unoptimized. For Sony, sure, it's money either way. But for PS4 owners, it's potentially bad.

Words don't really capture my feeling on this whole development. I feel... left out? That might be the right word. With kids and limited time, I can only really justify a console 'once a gen' to both myself and my wife. And I hate the feeling of being left behind, as suddenly I'm playing 'lesser' versions of games [especially, how will this effect multiplayer games?].

And then, when PS5 finally comes out, I'm going to be wary about the PS5.5 so I don't even know if I'll buy -that- at launch anymore like I did with the PS4.

So basically, now I don't see myself getting a console till the PS5.5... and by then, maybe I'll have talked myself out of console gaming altogether.

Darn. I really loved the current console lifecycle, with huge jumps at the end. Iterative just doesn't work for me [heck, I still rock an ancient, non-smart flip phone]. I don't buy ipads due to the iterative cycle either [bought a gen 1 right before the first gen, and it quickly became obsolete when they stopped upgrading the OS and everything started to stop working, so I sold it and didn't look back].

So. Yeah. Darn. It's too early to say how this will pan out, but I fear it's the beginning of the end for my console fun.

I definitely feel where you are coming from. But I think with a busy schedule like you have, maybe consider an alternative timeline.

Being busy will possibly inevitably make you miss parts of a generation here or there. Let's say you want to jump into Xbox or PlayStation a few years after a generation starts, and a .5 console is around the corner in the Fall of the same year.

With this model, you might have 2 options depending on when you decide to get a new console. You could spend less to get the base experience with the same games, or wait a few months to get the stronger hardware at a bit of a premium price. Either way, there's lots of games to buy when you jump into the generation a couple or more years late.

In a way it gives you a choice. Do you want to spend a bit more for the 1337 experience, with up to date hardware that happened to come at the time you got back into gaming? Or would you rather have a little less powerful box but have opportunity to buy more games that you might be interested in? Now you have a choice. After all, you came 3 years later, why not have 3 years more powerful hardware?

Like has been said many times it is kind of like a PC-like choice. It's good in some ways, bad in others. But at the same time depending on your timing of buying a console it can be very good.

Maybe you will get only PS5.5 based on this model, and maybe that will serve your needs better. More games are already out because the generation is already half way in, and you have the more powerful version of the PS5, etc etc.

There's definitely some drawbacks and some good points about this new system. I think the main thing is this: it gives the "new" factor to people who want to jump in at different times during the console life cycle. That is the ideal scenario from Sony or any hardware manufacturer perspective. The platform doesn't "age" in the same way as a traditional platform would. So whenever you do decide to get a new console, at the start of the gen, or the middle of the gen, you can still get a newly powerful console, which is really not so bad.

The God

People will mass exodus to PC where bigger and better gpus and cpus and ram packets come out every year? The price of which to upgrade all three is at least equivalent to purchasing a new console?

Dunno about "mass exodus" but if people go to PC it's because it's better to own one than a console badly attempting to be a PC.

sora87

Nah. I expect that during PS4 generation, only Neo will come out.

PS5 will be the next console that will be "target" for development of games.

Smartphone cycle in this case means that consoles are switching from 6 year cycle to cycles that include optional mid-gen upgrades.

Article doesn't mention that, just consumers are used to upgrades thanks in part to mobile phones.

That makes more sense. 1 mid-gen upgrade every cycle would probably be the best outcome.

Lady Gaia

"It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4," House explained.

I'm almost certain this is intended to suggest that it sits alongside the PS4 in their product lineup, not that it literally sits beside your PS4 in your entertainment center.

Kyoufu

It's competition in that (in my estimation) the PS4 will become a budget platform where the target fidelity is the Neo and things on the PS4 will be left unoptimized. For Sony, sure, it's money either way. But for PS4 owners, it's potentially bad.

With 50+ million PS4s sold through to consumers by the time this thing comes out I doubt many developers would make a game that suffers on a standard PS4 more than they already do right now.

icespide

Banned
Needs to be at least $899.99 more than VIVE so people know they are buying a premium product. Neo improved games should also have a $20-30 dollar premium. New PS4 Neo system and VR headset every nine months to keep with demand no need for PS5...ever.
is this a joke post?

Top Bottom