• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

My bet is that the amount of people who actually will buy an upgraded Xbox or PS4 is actually very small. I'm pretty sure it will be small for Xbox because not many people bought the original Xbox One and with Project Helix you may never need to buy another console from Microsoft again if you have a Windows 10 PC. Those people who deeply care about graphics have by and large moved to PC.

The article said it was for hardcore gamers. I suspect that Sony at least thinks it won't be more like a replacement and that it might not sell like hot cakes like the PS4 was earlier.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This isn't going to stop anyone from going to PC. It'll most likely have the opposite effect.

Or the opposite effect of power PC users getting one of these to complement their gaming, due to the power being within their taste now.

There are always at least two perspectives. These one sided narratives are getting redundant.

Proposal: The amount of people on the forum who are very concerned that their PS4 will no longer be the most powerful PlayStation within six months and/or that the Xbox Scorpio will be more powerful than both their PS4 and the PS4K in 2017 suggests that hardware power is a really notable concern for many enthusiast gamers.

What is this, logic?

Play nice! :p

Cmagus

Pretty much done with consoles at this point, I rather just upgrade my PC. I've felt this way for a long time though and my experience with the PS4 hasn't been that great and the exclusive games haven't been all that great. Honestly all this console upgrading stuff has made me lose all interest outright for E3 this year I probably won't put anymore money into the PS4.

The God

Or the opposite effect of power PC users getting one of these to complement their gaming, due to the power being within their taste now.

There are always at least two perspectives. These one sided narratives are getting redundant.

What is this, logic?

Play nice! :p

Yeah I'm sure lots of PC gamers will be lining up to pay $500+ for an upgraded console when they've already got a powerful computer

Lady Gaia

No but, 4GB HBM = 6 GB of GDDR5
Therefore
32GB of HBM = 128GB GDDR5

Easily doable in 2020 with HBM2 possibly HBM3

What are you talking about? Even assuming your first line is a typo and you meant "4GB HBM = 16 GB of GDDR5" so the ratios remain constant the statement still makes no sense.

jdmonmou

Yeah I'm sure lots of PC gamers will be lining up to pay $500+ for an upgraded console when they've already got a powerful computer

And with project Helix there's no reason for a PC gamer to buy an Xbox. MS doesn't care as long as their PC is running Windows 10. MS is probably running the long con on Sony with Scorpio. Get people frustrated with consoles to point where more people convert to PC gaming on Windows 10. More profit for MS.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You act as if all PC Gamers are the worst fanboys if all, and don't want to try console exclusive games. Get over that mindset.

Freeman

Banned
And with project Helix there's no reason for a PC gamer to buy an Xbox. MS doesn't care as long as their PC is running Windows 10. MS is probably running the long con on Sony with Scorpio. Get people frustrated with consoles to point where more people convert to PC gaming on Windows 10. More profit for MS.

Actually they are playing the even longer con, get people frustrated with gaming on Windows 10 as well so they can sell the next Windows. MS moves are so ahead of what everyone else is thinking that they look like failures when in fact they are the perfect set ups for complete domination in the future.

My bet is that the amount of people who actually will buy an upgraded Xbox or PS4 is actually very small. I'm pretty sure it will be small for Xbox because not many people bought the original Xbox One and with Project Helix you may never need to buy another console from Microsoft again if you have a Windows 10 PC. Those people who deeply care about graphics have by and large moved to PC.

What about a year or two after Neo launches? Is it still a premium-only product? Not really.

Do you think more people will be buying vanilla PS4 or PS4 Neo when Neo also price drops to say $249 or $299 US?

Sony can even hypothetically stop making and selling vanilla PS4 much earlier when Neo is available. So if people want a PlayStation, by year 5 or 6 in the generation only Neo at $249 is available.

icespide

Banned
Actually they are playing the even longer con, get people frustrated with gaming on Windows 10 as well so they can sell the next Windows. MS moves are so ahead of what everyone else is thinking that they look like failures when in fact they are the perfect set ups for complete domination in the future.
all according to keikaku

Lmao. Joke post?

Freeman

Banned
I don't understand the logic myself.

PC versions of the same games are superior, but they don't care because they don't game there?

Well you won't be gaming "there" on Neo either, so why...

You know what, if I understand it, then I turn into them. I just can't...
Do you care that people with better PCs than yours will be running the game much better than you?

jdmonmou

kvpaw_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

Yep, done with consoles. The "smartphone model" is laughable in the console space. Consoles are not subsidized, nor are they as vital to everyday life as smartphones.

I don't necessarily mean you, but 99% of people who claim this will be there day one, even if they don't admit it. Mark. My. Word.

The God

You act as if all PC Gamers are the worst fanboys if all, and don't want to try console exclusive games. Get over that mindset.

what lol

I didn't say anything about fanboyism. If a PC gamer wants to try console exclusives, he doesn't need an Xbox, so that's out.

If he wants to try PS exclusives, you're talking about him spending $500+ just play some exclusives in the best way? I think you're talking about a small amount of people who are so power hungry that they need everything at its best. I think it's more likely that that PC gamer would get the cheapest version of the PS4 to play those exclusive games.

Consoles trying to play the power game with PC is just fucking dumb.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
what lol

I didn't say anything about fanboyism. If a PC gamer wants to try console exclusives, he doesn't need an Xbox, so that's out.

If he wants to try PS exclusives, you're talking about him spending $500+ just play some exclusives in the best way? I think you're talking about a small amount of people who are so power hungry that they need everything at its best. I think it's more likely that that PC gamer would get the cheapest version of the PS4 to play those exclusive games.

Consoles trying to play the power game with PC is just fucking dumb.

If he/she is an enthusiast gamer, which is one of the reasons on the PC always chasing the power threshold, then yes, yes I do.

Lol, what.

And before you try and counter with, again, "that is only a small amount"... well what did House say? Basically this will be for the enthusiast gamer, which they already expect to be that "small amount" early on...

With the plan from greater adoption for the mainstream as prices come down. That is standard consumer economics.

watership

Proposal: The amount of people on the forum who are very concerned that their PS4 will no longer be the most powerful PlayStation within six months and/or that the Xbox Scorpio will be more powerful than both their PS4 and the PS4K in 2017 suggests that hardware power is a really notable concern for many enthusiast gamers.

Nope. Pay no attention to this post. Nothing to see here. Move along.

ZehDon

3054981-inline-i-5-these-are-the-bill-nye-reaction-gifs-you-didnt-know-you-needed.gif

Not sure how MS feel with such large Win10 installed base but only a tiny fraction of them buy games on Win10 store.

The God

If he/she is an enthusiast gamer, which is one of the reasons on the PC always chasing the power threshold, then yes, yes I do.

Lol, what.

And before you try and counter with, again, "that is only a small amount"... well what did House say? Basically this will be for the enthusiast gamer, which they already expect to be that "small amount" early on...

With the plan from greater adoption for the mainstream as prices come down. That is standard consumer economics.

what does any of that have to do with my original point of upgrades consoles not stopping anyone from going to PC gaming

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
what does any of that have to do with my original point of upgrades consoles not stopping anyone from going to PC gaming

Your point is invalid without evidence. You act as if there is enough of an exodus in the 40 million sold crowd that will all of a sudden see a PC is the light. I am willing to bet that your argument is a pebble drop in a pond, compared to the amount that will accept this.

I don't necessarily mean you, but 99% of people who claim this will be there day one, even if they don't admit it. Mark. My. Word.

Nope. I'm done. I've had my new gaming PC for about a month or so. Consoles used to be convenient. Now they nickel and dime you, you pay for online, have vastly poorer performance and visuals and well, have way more expensive titles in comparison to Steam or Origin sales.

Consoles will die off with the phone model. I say bring it on and watch PC and mobile raise to greater heights.

Jonboy

Damn it, this news bums me out. I was stoked to buy a more powerful PS4 that will better accommodate PSVR and provide 1080p/60 for all games (Uncharted 4, Witcher 3, etc).
News? What news?

I'm having trouble finding any news in the thread for all the separate discussions/arguments going on here...

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is what news has said the PS4k won't better accommodate VR and run most games at 1080p/60fps?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nope. I'm done. I've had my new gaming PC for about a month or so. Consoles used to be convenient. Now they nickel and dime you, you pay for online, have vastly poorer performance and visuals and well, have way more expensive titles in comparison to Steam or Origin sales.

Consoles will die off with the phone model. I say bring it on and watch PC and mobile raise to greater heights.

If consoles die off, AAA PC gaming will contract like ET in a landfill.

Come back from Utopia, lol.

PC's/laptops/tablets/phones will always be in homes, while consoles won't. That wont change after the consoles die off from this failed experiment.

That has nothing to do with the fact that AAA gaming is heavily dependent on console gamers. If think most will just head to PC and development will continue as usual you are wrong.

If that's the evolution of gaming, so be it. We'll all know who to thank, if that happens then.

If you have a PC why do you care what happens to console so much? This I want it to fail because I don't like it stuff is so petty.

P.S. It's highly unlikely this fails and ruins consoles simply because they have a failsafe in the OG PS4. If Neo was a replacement instead of a compliment/option your hopes might have had a chance.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PC's/laptops/tablets/phones will always be in homes, while consoles won't. That wont change after the consoles die off from this failed experiment.

Man, you don't just talk like, "nope I'm done", this sounds like a whole lot of, "nope I was never in for some time". ;)

I would not keep up the fight and disillusions of PC picking up a consoless AAA slack.

In this new Eurogamer article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist there are certain interesting infos:

All new titles with Neo support use unified packages that run on both platforms. The CPU binary is identical, while three GPU binaries (shared, PS4-specific and Neo-specific) are all contained in the same package.

What does this mean?

1- That even if the CPUs are different, the game shares same unified code for both platforms which means: no extra units per screen and no more advanced AI or physics or anything involving CPU usage. Then where is the need for a better or a new CPU?

2- The difference will revolve around the GPU side where the game code will have 3 different profiles:

. One Neo Specific : This is obvious.

. One shared : Same unchanged effects or features between both, which means not all elements will be better on Neo, hmm

.One PS4-specific : really? Why would we need some specific features for regular PS4? Unless, by that, they meant using different less advanced methods for the regular PS4 but using more advanced methods for PS4 Neo i.e using static pre-baked GI for regular PS4 while using dynamic GI for PS4 Neo or using rudimentary hair physics for OG PS4 while using PureHair for PS4 Neo (similar to how some PC games allow it in the highest settings).

If consoles die off, AAA PC gaming will contract like ET in a landfill.

Come back from Utopia, lol.

Consoles will die though. Not as a form factor and that is the most important element here.

Incremental upgrades, end of generations, consoles as we know it are dead as a model and are moving toward a new model. But the form factor remains, that's the key point here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Consoles will die though. Not as a form factor and that is the most important element here.

Incremental upgrades, end of generations, consoles as we know it are dead as a model and are moving toward a new model. But the form factor remains, that's the key point here.

Semantics.

It is still a closed platform, a console.

I feel as many are setting up strawman arguments attempting to invalidate the NEO/Scorpio.

Give or take we all buy consoles for the same reasons... We love gaming. It's our hobby. It's our entertainment. Our 'escape'. We have fun. It's cheaper than a gaming PC, less maintenance and more reliable. It has exclusives. .

What changes with NEO? It's a 'high-end' console targeting 'high-end' consumers. I honestly do not understand how that offends some people.

It will not fail because it's complimenting the standard PS4, not replacing it.

Sweet logic nectar.

duhmetree

I feel as many are setting up strawman arguments attempting to invalidate the NEO/Scorpio.

Give or take we all buy consoles for the same reasons... We love gaming. It's our hobby. It's our entertainment. Our 'escape'. We have fun. It's cheaper than a gaming PC, less maintenance and more reliable. It has exclusives. .

What changes with NEO? It's a 'high-end' console targeting 'high-end' consumers. I honestly do not understand how that offends some people.

It will not fail because it's complimenting the standard PS4, not replacing it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In this new Eurogamer article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist there are certain interesting infos:

What does this mean?

1- That even if the CPUs are different, the game shares same unified code for both platforms which means: no extra units per screen and no more advanced AI or physics or anything involving CPU usage. Then where is the need for a better or a new CPU?

2- The difference will revolve around the GPU side where the game code will have 3 different profiles:

. One Neo Specific : This is obvious.

. One shared : Same unchanged effects or features between both, which means not all elements will be better on Neo, hmm

.One PS4-specific : really? Why would we need some specific features for regular PS4? Unless, by that, they meant using different less advanced methods for the regular PS4 but using more advanced methods for PS4 Neo i.e using static pre-baked GI for regular PS4 while using dynamic GI for PS4 Neo or using rudimentary hair physics for OG PS4 while using PureHair for PS4 Neo (similar to how some PC games allow it in the highest settings).
The binaries are there for the two scenarios.

Shared is presumably for all the games that will release before the Neo comes out, and is the same as the existing format.

The two separate ones are for all games going forward, because they'll be built for a different piece of hardware, whereas the CPU hasn't changed at all and doesn't need a different binary.

Also this is just the republished original article.

jdmonmou

Cloud gaming will kill consoles...eventually.

Top Bottom