• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

danthefan

I don't think this is terminal for MS or anything close. The PS3 was way behind the 360 for most of its life, but pulled level (overtook?) right at the end of the generation. If MS can bring the games then people will buy.

I don't think this is terminal for MS or anything close. The PS3 was way behind the 360 for most of its life, but pulled level (overtook?) right at the end of the generation. If MS can bring the games then people will buy.

That has been disproved many times. It's impossible for the X1 to ever pull a PS3 like revival

Fedelias

The situations aren't really comparable though. Of course MS isn't going to scrap the bone or anything, but it's pretty safe to say it won't catch up to the PS4 at all.

Concept17

Monsterous.

The problem now is that MS was outselling PS3 in the U.S. That has not been at all the case for Xbone. Xbone is also selling very little anywhere else.

So Sony as a whole made a profit this quarter?

Notbadobama.PNG

Seriously though that's great news. Hoping they can ride this out for consecutive quarters for awhile.

Could this just be because of the PS4 and PS+ or has Kaz been redeemed?

Tomohawk

iKo73WaIe4Mag.png

Good Q for Sony.

Game division posted 4.3B yen ($42m) opt profit.

Finance division doing fantastic as usual ($430 opt profit)

Company as whole posted $260m net profit.

Sony seems to be turning itself around.

Well, during E3 2013 we were at 1:10 Xbox One - PS4 forecast levels. And I'm not talking fans: I'm talking purchase intent surveys made by major retailers. So it surely got better, and I'm sure Xbox can do even better. But it will hardly ever reach PS4 sales, I think.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
iKo73WaIe4Mag.png

Good Q for Sony.

As someone who has followed the uprise, you gotta be smiling for Kaz Hirai at this point. It's not a complete turnaround but they are not bleeding money right now.

Why do people still keep saying this? The race is over.

Personally I'm probably not quite as pessimistic on the XB1's final LTD as some but they are in a fairly undesirable position. They sold 50% of 360's final LTD in the US alone while PS3 only sold about 31% of it's final LTD there. Now XB1 is losing in the US to PS4 and fairly clearly Europe is still Sonyland. Japan is whatever for console sales so I'm not sure where XB1 has to make up the sales like PS3 did with Europe and Japan.

Overall WW XB1 is losing in sales but on a country-by-country basis? XB1 seems to be losing across the board besides maybe Brazil and Canada, maybe.

Granted it's not always necessary to outsell your competitor but you have to be able to compete and saleswise it's looking a bit unclear if XB1 can do that so far

Sakura

The PS3 was behind the 360 in NA and still is.
WW it overtook the 360 thanks to sales in Europe and Japan.
However the PS4 is stronger than the XBO in all markets. Kind of a different situation.

SRG01

iKo73WaIe4Mag.png

Good Q for Sony.

$260 mil net profit? That's really good for Sony in one quarter.

However, Imaging being down is worrisome. What's included in their Devices division?

BrunoM

Your right in part thing is ..

SONY and by that I mean Playstation is a WW thing system machine that's how it was able to start later and behind and even with higher prices and all else we all know here at GAF pull ahead Microsoft and by that I mean Xbox is a NA system if it does not do good here in NA well in shot they are shit out of luck

Sony and Playstation as a company and brand can afford to lose some space in the NA market but there's no way in hell Microsoft can lose space in the NA market

And this 1.1M vs 3.4M is looking very bad when we look into the NA side of things

Bgamer90

Banned
Two years ago though? Yep, it would have been a completely laughable forecast.

If you told me two years ago that both the PS4 and Xbox One would release at pretty much the same time then I pretty much would say a similar ratio for Q1. PlayStation brand has a greater presence worldwide than Xbox.

LiquidMetal14

Mod should edit the irrelevant Vita/PSP and add the game profits and net profits as they are the real news.

KZObsessed

It's crazy how fast things can change. The contrast with last gen for Sony & Nintendo is quite something. Hopefully Sony will keep their momentum going.

Usobuko

Banned
IIRC, I think they were expecting or analysts were expecting near $1b profit in future on game division alone? Mainly due to PS+ and services. It's kinda similar to how much Microsoft make for 360 in its twilight years.

Blastoise

Banned
Didn't Sony also sell a bunch of buildings? Could this be a reason why they posted a profit.

I remember reading last year that they were in dire straits.

It'll be difficult to tell for quite a while. MCC has to claw some of the gap back, but I'd argue that bloodborne will extend the gap once again.

MCC won't claw nearly enough to put MS back in the 'game' and Bloodbourne certainly won't extend the gap. Seems silly to think it will, Souls games aren't huge sellers and BB will be no different.

These comments almost seems very meme like.

LiquidMetal14

Didn't Sony also sell a bunch of buildings? Could this be a reason why they posted a profit.

That was last year sometime ago. Wouldn't impact financials that drastically now.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Why do people still keep saying this? The race is over.

Probably a question for another thread, but unless the Xbox is spun off or sold off, do you think ms will bother with a next gen system? I know the sales race matters little compared to profitability, but can the xbone be massively profitable, and if not, is it curtains time?

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not trying to start any console war bs. Just curious about the profitability of the division and microsoft's attitude towards it.

If you told me two years ago that both the PS4 and Xbox One would release at pretty much the same time then I pretty much would say a similar ratio for Q1. PlayStation brand has a greater presence worldwide than Xbox.

Really? Two years ago you would have predicted that the Xbox successor would be getting outsold over 3 to 1. I certainly would never have thought that

Usobuko

Banned

Your information is here.

Operating income increased 34.3 billion yen year-on-year to 69.8 billion yen (691 million U.S. dollars). This increase was primarily due to a significant improvement in the operating results of the G&NS segment partially offset by a significant deterioration in the operating results of the MC segment.

Operating income during the current quarter includes a gain of 14.8 billion yen (146 million U.S. dollars) recognized on the sale of certain buildings and premises at Gotenyama Technology Center in Japan, recorded in Corporate and elimination.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sony and Playstation as a company and brand can afford to lose some space in the NA market but there's no way in hell Microsoft can lose space in the NA market

Agreed. So far the sales of the Xbox One make up around the same percentage of NA console sales for its gen as the 360 did for its gen (33% I believe) -- will be interesting to see how (or if) it changes as the months go by.

And this 1.1M vs 3.4M is looking very bad when we look into the NA side of things

Would say it looks far worse in terms of the worldwide competition.

Don't do that. The PS3 had a strong fanbase in Europe and Japan that saw them through their collapse in other markets.

The X1 doesn't have that, MS are in dire straits. Not terminal, but it's close enough.

I-hate-u

Sony can keep up their momentum through the holidays if they followed through with strong Driveclub, TLoU, Destiny and Little Big Planet 3 marketing.

If a passing mod wanted to edit in the Operating Income into the title that would probably be good.

I thought about it but didn't want to make a mistake

danthefan

Ok my post (first one on this page) got too many replies to quote them all but... it only makes sense to buy a PS4 now because none of the exclusives on either console are system sellers and the PS4 does multi-plat games much better.

I'm just saying there's a long way to go. We don't know what games/features/whatever are coming down the line. I didn't say the XOne was going to win, I was suggesting it could still be a success.

For the record I've owned every Sony console ever, and no MS ones. I am not some MS fanboy.

Hydrargyrus

3,5 vs 1,1 Ooooh god
And the PS3 sales doesn't look too well and, in the other hand, xbox360 sales seem to compete with the Xbone sales...

Bgamer90

Banned
Really? Two years ago you would have predicted that the Xbox successor would be getting outsold over 3 to 1. I certainly would never have thought that

Yes, that is (again) if someone told me that both the new Xbox and Playstation consoles would release at the same time. Only way Xbox can/could beat Playstation in worldwide sales is if they released a year earlier and/or at a significantly cheaper price ($200+ less) in my opinion.

Plus we are talking about the Q1 period too which sees less overall console sales which help to make the ratio bigger. So yeah, I definitely would have predicted at least 2.5 to 1.

Top Bottom