• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yes, that is (again) if someone told me that both the new Xbox and Playstation consoles released at the same time. Only way Xbox can/could beat Playstation in worldwide sales is if they released a year earlier and/or at a significantly cheaper price ($200+ less) in my opinion.

There's no denying the worldwide perception but at price parity and given the current landscape worldwide, 3:1 is really hard to forecast. I would even say given the strong presence and fanbase in the US, that MSFT would be winning in the states even with the PS4's price advantage. It will be interesting to see not just US but WW numbers come November. I think Sony is in the clear driver seat right now regardless of the banter and daily drama that happens here. Not that it matters as they have done a great job consolidating and starting to restructure towards a sustainable future.

Do we know if PSP had its last shipments this quarter, or the previous? Either way, it seems that Vita/PSP shipments beat Wii U's(0.75 vs 0.51)? Or am I mistaking shipments with actual sales?

Yes, that is (again) if someone told me that both the new Xbox and Playstation consoles would release at the same time. Only way Xbox can/could beat Playstation in worldwide sales is if they released a year earlier and/or at a significantly cheaper price ($200+ less) in my opinion.

The 360 carved a pretty good base WW. The issue is MS decided to make the X1 incredibky american centered. For someone in Europr there is no reason to get an x1 over a PS4 unless you absolutely can't live without Halo and other MS IPs

DieH@rd

Banned
We can now easily assume that PS4 has over 9 million shipped consoles.

I really doubt that PS3 managed to sell a lot. Someone needs to check out NPD and MC results for PS3 so that we can extrapolate ratio of PS3/PS4 shipments.

Usobuko

Banned
So, is FY14 Q1 ( April to June ) numbers decent? Especially when you take into the context of PS4 launches in Japan on February 22nd which was the previous quarter.

dPnEz5L.gif
Haha! Awsome!

SeanTSC

Man, this DS2 hatin' has to stop. It's not a bad game.

That entirely depends on if they care about BB. Some will, some might decide it's not for them and wait for DS3.

That's a huge assumption that as far out as DS3 would be that it would still be a cross-gen game. I doubt anything that far out besides sports games will be.

le.phat

I don't think this is terminal for MS or anything close. The PS3 was way behind the 360 for most of its life, but pulled level (overtook?) right at the end of the generation. If MS can bring the games then people will buy.

ps3 had Japan and Europe. ps4 has the US, Japan and Europe. See the difference ?

Bgamer90

Banned
There's no denying the worldwide perception but at price parity and given the current landscape worldwide, 3:1 is really hard to forecast. I would even say given the strong presence and fanbase in the US, that MSFT would be winning in the states even with the PS4's price advantage.

I would have predicted that MS would be #1 in US too but not by that much early on in the gen. The PS4 improved on pretty much everything that made the PS3 an unattractive console here in the US during the first 3 years or so of its life.

And again, I would have predicted 3:1 for the worldwide Q1 sales (due to fewer consoles being sold during the period) -- not overall worldwide sales period.

DieH@rd

Banned
So, is FY14 Q1 ( April to June ) numbers decent? Especially when you take into the context of PS4 launches in Japan on February 22nd which was the previous quarter.

Numbers are very good. Last year's Q1 had 1.1M shipment of PS3 consoles. And now, PS4+PS3 sales are not only 3x of that, but are also 3x of MS console shipment in this last quarter.

Bgamer90

Banned
The 360 carved a pretty good base WW. The issue is MS decided to make the X1 incredibky american centered.

I agree -- Especially in terms of services on the XB1.

Lol. You are a funny guy.

Thanks? I guess? Don't know what else to say -- thought many months before both consoles launched that the PS4 would do better in sales (worldwide) if both systems released at the same time.

Welfare

Man, this DS2 hatin' has to stop. It's not a bad game.

I wasn't hating. I thought DS2 sales were slow, making me think fans actually do care. If sales are alright, then my statement holds less ground.

I was looking at it with a sales perspective, not an actual statement on my feelings of the game.

I really doubt that PS3 managed to sell a lot. Someone needs to check out NPD and MC results for PS3 so that we can extrapolate ration of PS3/PS4 shipments.

Between March 30th and June 29th, PS3 sold 97,076 units in Japan

In roughly the same time period PS3 sold ~113,000 units in the US

Tratorn

I knew the gap would be big, because the PS4 was still supply constrained until mid/end of march, so they were able to ship a lot of units this quarter and it was the opposite for XB1 which was overshipped. But that the difference would be that big is still surprising.

Usobuko

Banned
So about 20% of the operating income came from the sale of those buildings. This is very good news for Sony then.

Actually I'm not sure because it says current quarter for building sales whereas the figure for operating income was for the last FY. Regardless, it's fair to say they don't need to sell buildings for good figures.

Sorc3r3r

I thought MS numbers were US only, 1.1M combined worldwide is terribad.

Takes time to fix the HUGE self inflicted damage of the last year.
And making a come back with a competition already totally focused on the points you only now are picking up to sell your box it's even harder.

So it likely declined pretty bad, no?

In the same time period last year, PS3 sold 152,578 units in Japan so it dropped ~36% in one of its strongest markets

So yes the decline is probably on the scale of 40% - 45% by my guesstimate

Be nice to have 2013 PS3 NPD numbers for a US comparison

So let's say.... 400-500K PS3 shipment? 3M for PS4?

I'd probably say closer to 600,000 personally so maybe 2.9M PS4 shipments?

fedexpeon

Banned

JOLED will aim to bring innovative products by leveraging flexible display technologies, aiming for improved moldability and durability as well as further reduction in weight.

Aww yeah, I am in need of a new 60'' TV soon Sony.
Or just create a new slimmer Smartwatch3 with tethering ability to my phone so we can text/surf the web on the watch.
Seriously, you will make BILLION if you can design a Smartwatch with just those two abilities. It will be the next iPod in personal wear tech.

Top Bottom