• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

We haven't sold through numbers, but this seem pretty low.
I guess at least 27 million.

This article say "well over 25 million", and imo, i believe this is about the 25.3 million shipped of last quarter.

He said "well over" 25 million, that could mean 26, 27.
oh wait a second, damn...I just realized this now. the gamespot article said the official number would be released on october 29th, and that was the date of this thread, so it's probably referring to the 29.3 million mark.

so yeah. even though this is from the day before, maybe it is about the last quarter ship.
ok man believe in whatever you want.
i want to believe in the truth, man.

"well" over 25 million means it could be millions higher than 25, he likely just didn't know specifics of anything outside of what Sony ships.

And to be frank, Sony's ship number is likely very close to sold-in. There aren't a ton of PS4's sitting on shelves.

So 29 million shipped is about as good as sold.
yeah I've just about realized that now. Which is cool, that just furthers the argument of how much of a beastly seller the Ps4 is.
The truth isn't out there.
so who the hell do you trust with your gaming news man?

Depending on when the nx releases, I wonder if it'll kill the Ps4's momentum. Because by that point, for anyone who hasn't bought an 8th gen system, the nx will be the newest, freshest piece of hardware on the martlet & may capture more potential consumer attention than the Ps4.
When it does come down to $299, I feel like the momentum won't be as strong if it were going from $399-->$299 since it's already $50 cheaper, so it'll be going from $349 to $299.
TBH NX will be fortunate to get to N64 status (relatively speaking, in terms of sales) against PS4 this gen. There is a definite PS1 vibe w/ PS4 regarding the first few years being good but not great, but things really ramping up later roughly two years later thanks to stuff like FFVII.

It's looking very similar w/ PS4 in 2016 as well. I'd also venture to say PS4 hasn't seen its highest sustained sales quite yet; that should happen over the next two years, following previous regular examples, as well as after its official lifespan, going by previous PlayStation systems.

And if you know about that, you know that even with a stellar launch, N64 couldn't maintain the energy and slowed down in sales, mainly b/c PS1 just had too much momentum by then. But if anything, it's XBO that needs to worry about NX. NX could just take its lunch money, because personally a hypothetical next-gen Mario, Zelda and/or (hey, maybe) Metroid game kind of eats up anything MS has coming for their system next year. Just my opinion.

And i know it's always said that they virtually make nothing out of it but that's because the margin is far lower compared to software/peripherals.
But the absolute number is higher.
It's about 10% for Gamestop, so that would be $30 for a $300 ps4.
Oh, is it that much? Still, I can see how retail may consider that "zero" margin; I think their margins are usually closer to 100% on the stuff they stock. And as I was saying before, once it comes off the ship, retail is responsible for moving it around the country, storing it, hiring people to sell it, etc. I could see most or all of that $30-$40 being eaten up fairly quickly. Anyway, it's good to know there is some margin there, just for calculation purposes.

Actually, the other day Zhuge and I were talking about the possibility that retail margins on hardware are higher in Europe than they are in the US. The prices in EU/UK seem generally higher than the US prices, even accounting for VAT and exchange rates, and at the same time, it's much more common to see retailer-initiated discounts there, which would tend to indicate they have larger/any margins to work with.

"well" over 25 million means it could be millions higher than 25, he likely just didn't know specifics of anything outside of what Sony ships.

And to be frank, Sony's ship number is likely very close to sold-in. There aren't a ton of PS4's sitting on shelves.

So 29 million shipped is about as good as sold.
Any time now, yes. Going by Sony's earlier sell-in/sell-through reports, backed by general knowledge of how stuff moves around the globe, we can see that Sony's sell-in leads sell-through by about 5-6 weeks, globally. The delay is primarily because it takes nearly a month for a container ship to sail from China to NA or EU, and then it needs to clear customs, be trucked to the distribution centers, be trucked to the local stores, stocked on the shelves, and finally sold.

So that means that the last of the shipments that left the factory on September 30th should be in customers' hands in the next 7-10 days. Of course, consoles going to Asia may sell just a couple of weeks after they ship out.

So while it's hard to say what they're at right this second, we can say with reasonable certainly that they should be at 29.3M sold through no later than November 14th. Well, at least we can say that back on September 30th, Sony and their retail parters were reasonably certain that would be the sell-through by then, and they're pretty well-practiced at this sort of thing.

TBH NX will be fortunate to get to N64 status (relatively speaking, in terms of sales) against PS4 this gen. There is a definite PS1 vibe w/ PS4 regarding the first few years being good but not great, but things really ramping up later roughly two years later thanks to stuff like FFVII.

It's looking very similar w/ PS4 in 2016 as well. I'd also venture to say PS4 hasn't seen its highest sustained sales quite yet; that should happen over the next two years, following previous regular examples, as well as after its official lifespan, going by previous PlayStation systems.

And if you know about that, you know that even with a stellar launch, N64 couldn't maintain the energy and slowed down in sales, mainly b/c PS1 just had too much momentum by then. But if anything, it's XBO that needs to worry about NX. NX could just take its lunch money, because personally a hypothetical next-gen Mario, Zelda and/or (hey, maybe) Metroid game kind of eats up anything MS has coming for their system next year. Just my opinion.
damn, I guess this is the realistic way of looking at it but in theory, Nintendo could come up with another wii, yeah? I don't mean another motion console, but just another thing that becomes like a craze in the industry

Javin98

Banned
I guess. but Ps4 sold through is at around 25 million, sold in is 29 million.
Come on, man, you said you learnt a lot here, but you are still making ridiculous statements. There is absolutely no way there are 4.3 million PS4's sitting in stores worldwide. If there were that much stock, retailers would be shipping it back. The minimum amount for sold through would be 27 million, but I would put it at 27.5 million.

Edit: Saw your later posts, but just to remind you, check the date of your sources before posting. Saves you a lot of trouble.

viHuGi

Banned
Come on, man, you said you learnt a lot here, but you are still making ridiculous statements. There is absolutely no way there are 4.3 million PS4's sitting in stores worldwide. If there were that much stock, retailers would be shipping it back. The minimum amount for sold through would be 27 million, but I would put it at 27.5 million.

Edit: Saw your later posts, but just to remind you, check the date of your sources before posting. Saves you a lot of trouble.

We can assume that they shipped over 2m Ps4s in October since they had a price drop so shipments now are probably at 31.5m give it or take and the two biggest months are about to start.

Ricky_R

latest

Javin98

Banned
We can assume that they shipped over 2m Ps4s in October since they had a price drop so shipments now are probably at 31.5m give it or take and the two biggest months are about to start.
Nah, I don't think they shipped 2 million consoles in October. Sounds too high and overshipping can result in consoles being shipped back. 1.6 million sounds more likely and that bumps the shipment numbers to almost 31 million. I can see at least 5 million PS4's shipped in the biggest months of the year. Personally, though, I'm currently predicting 36.5 million shipped by the end of 2015 now. Could even hit 37 million depending on demand for the bundles.

Rosur

Nah, I don't think they shipped 2 million consoles in October. Sounds too high and overshipping can result in consoles being shipped back. 1.6 million sounds more likely and that bumps the shipment numbers to almost 31 million. I can see at least 5 million PS4's shipped in the biggest months of the year. Personally, though, I'm currently predicting 36.5 million shipped by the end of 2015 now. Could even hit 37 million depending on demand for the bundles.

I reckon if they hit 35mill we will get an updated at PSX for numbers.

damn, I guess this is the realistic way of looking at it but in theory, Nintendo could come up with another wii, yeah? I don't mean another motion console, but just another thing that becomes like a craze in the industry
It's possible, but I doubt it. Nintendo has said that they aren't particularly interested in netting casual gamers, and that audience is probably lock-stepped into Apple and Google's ecosystems by now. If they want the mass market they'll have to do it the old fashioned way, i.e appeal to the hardcore and core, who in turn make the product attractive to casuals.

noobie

Banned
Can anybody tell me how these two graphs have been created?
console-wars-q3-2015-new.001-980x735.jpeg

console-wars-q3-2015-new.002-980x735.jpeg

I tried to read it but its just too much complex for me. My simple mind says that PS4 is selling more than XBO and it will continue to sell more than XBO year on year until some external force (like kinect but its already dead, so what else) is not applied on XBO. Noobie First law of Console Sales

Javin98

Banned
I reckon if they hit 35mill we will get an updated at PSX for numbers.
I don't think they will hit 35 million for shipment numbers by PSX, what more sold through figures. Remember, for them to use sales figures, the data has to come from several days ago, maybe even more than a week. So, I honestly don't see 35 million shipped by the end of November. 34 million is quite likely, though.

I tried to read it but its just too much complex for me. My simple mind says that PS4 is selling more than XBO and it will continue to sell more than XBO year on year until some external force (like kinect but its already dead, so what else) is not applied on XBO. Noobie First law of Console Sales
Simple, just don't read it at all. ;) It's written by a journalist with a delusion that the XB1 will catch up to the PS4 in sales.

I don't think they will hit 35 million for shipment numbers by PSX, what more sold through figures. Remember, for them to use sales figures, the data has to come from several days ago, maybe even more than a week. So, I honestly don't see 35 million shipped by the end of November. 34 million is quite likely, though.

Simple, just don't read into it at all. ;) It's written by a journalist with a delusion that the XB1 will catch up to the PS4 in sales.

Fixed it! ;p

stryke

To simplify it a little, ignore the Q3 bit and see each bar represents a year of shipments (not cumulative). The first graph is an extrapolation of the percentage increase in console shipments between '14 and '15, applied to every year after that until 2024. In this stupid hypothetical scenario, XBO catches up in yearly shipments because it had a higher percentage increase from '14 to '15.

The second is just the cumulative version of the above.

All in all, it's just a pointless and absurd statistical exercise.

noobie

Banned
To simplify it a little, ignore the Q3 bit and see each bar represents a year of shipments (not cumulative). The first graph is an extrapolation of the percentage increase in console shipments between '14 and '15, applied to every year after that until 2024. In this stupid hypothetical scenario, XBO catches up in yearly shipments because it had a higher percentage increase from '14 to '15.

The second is just the cumulative version of the above.

All in all, it's just a pointless and absurd statistical exercise.

But how he arrives to the shipment number of XBO when we dont have a clear picture of XBO shipment. I dont think we got any numbers for XBO only shipment for over a year now.

samar11

Simple, just don't read it at all. ;) It's written by a journalist with a delusion that the XB1 will catch up to the PS4 in sales.

I think it will just be a random announcement once they reach 40 million

stryke

But how he arrives to the shipment number of XBO when we dont have a clear picture of XBO shipment. I dont think we got any numbers for XBO only shipment for over a year now.

I can't remember and I honestly don't care enough to read through that article again to find out.

Bastables

I can't remember and I honestly don't care enough to read through that article again to find out.
He pulls it out of his arse while waving his hands about a xbox360 vs one split, then chooses the highest bullshit guess as a percentage of constant growth/sales.

Determining sales information for the Xbox One was harder than ever this quarter, as Microsoft didn't break out shipment numbers for the Xbox One or the Xbox family as a whole in its latest report. The only hint about the company's console sales came in an off-hand sentence saying that "Xbox hardware revenue decreased 17 percent, mainly due to lower volumes of Xbox 360 consoles sold."
He's pretty much indulged in 'solving' a algebra equation with no known variables.

Javin98

Banned
I think it will just be a random announcement once they reach 40 million
Maybe, but I still expect an announcement of the cumulative sales by the end of 2015 in early January, much like we did early this year for the last year. Also, I expect 40 million PS4's shipped around the time Uncharted 4 launches.

Felessan

Consoles shipped in October will arrive in Novemeber-December to retail. Actually the biggest shipments should be in September and October, as consoles shipped late in November will arrive when holidays already over.
Probably some of those 4 millions is a part of shipment that was prepared for price-cut as you need to ship them well in advance to be able satisfy spike in sales.

Javin98

Banned
Consoles shipped in October will arrive in Novemeber-December to retail. Actually the biggest shipments should be in September and October, as consoles shipped late in November will arrive when holidays already over.
Probably some of those 4 millions is a part of shipment that was prepared for price-cut as you need to ship them well in advance to be able satisfy spike in sales.
Yes, I agree. The shipment numbers are probably higher than expected because Sony was preparing for the price cut. In any case, I don't think they shipped 2 million in October. Sounds too high even if October is just right before the holidays. I'm guessing the heavy shipping for the holidays began in late October since it takes 3-4 weeks for the stock to reach retailers in the US IIRC.

Yes, I agree. The shipment numbers are probably higher than expected because Sony was preparing for the price cut. In any case, I don't think they shipped 2 million in October. Sounds too high even if October is just right before the holidays. I'm guessing the heavy shipping for the holidays began in late October since it takes 3-4 weeks for the stock to reach retailers in the US IIRC.
Where'd you get that figure? Just observing shipment reports versus sales reports, it seems like it takes more like 5-6 weeks for shipments to sell through globally. Most consoles actually spend 3-4 weeks just on the container ship.

China to:
Western US: 20 days
Europe: 25 days
Eastern US: 30 days

DieH@rd

Banned
Looking at previous two years, roughly one month after Sony announces numbers, all those shipped consoles are sold. So by now a bit more than one month after end of financial quarter, PS4 should be at ~29.5M sold trough (probably more since sales pace quickens in last quarter).

that was from an ars technica article wasn't it

Top Bottom