• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

The Boat

Using a Kickstarter just so the publisher can gauge consumer interest is very shady and something I'm not comfortable with... but if that's what it takes to get Shenmue 3, whatever, bring it on!

timlot

Banned
Gottem
DrFaciler2.png

Respawn

Banned
Really not a fan of this approach.
Good maybe you should have funded it. It wasn't going anywhere if Sony didn't step in. If Microsoft or anybody else wanted to they only had a what a million years now to do it. Stop crying like this was some moneyhat.
Play on PC then sheesh.

Dugna

Really not a fan of this approach.

With Sony's financial situation they can't be risking tons of money on a niche game, so this approach made sense. They boosted the noticeability of it at E3 and now saw that people besides the vocal minority that speak on forums actually want the game, so they can back it with total confidence.

wmlk

Sega would likely have not funded Shenmue, then.

I guess Sony is providing the budget but it's still being developed by Sega? Or is this a Sony Japan thing?

FranXico

If Sony is funding, why the kickstarter? Did they really ask Suzuki to go through a kickstarter campaign to decide?

Kalentan

I really hate this "use a kickstarter to gauge interest" approach that's been going around.

Why? I mean, anyone can type on a forum or select on an option on a poll saying their "interested" but it means nothing. Kickstarter allows for those interested to put their money where their mouth is to show that they're in fact interested and willing to buy. Because the other approaches gets you nothing.

I don't see this as a binary choice.

But it is. If they had confidence in the game, they would have backed it like they have other games. The kickstarter was done to essentially prove to SONY that there is demand enough for the game.

It's an odd approach, but it's also getting the fans to show what they want to toss their money at, instead of having suits in a boardroom decide where the industry should go

jay

If this were any other game, I'd complain about how this is a little beyond the pale, complain that KS as a way of development perverts designs by introducing stretch goals, and so on and so forth. But Shenmue 3.

Kickstarters *really* need to make it clear when their aim is only to gain major publisher support.

That's what basically all of them are

More to the point, I think this is dumb. There was never ever ever ever any doubt that the kickstarted would hit its goal in 31 days, so Sony should have just partnered from the start. There is no "gauging interest" here. The kickstarter was unnecessary

Memory

I guess this is what Kickstarter is now, an extra security blanket for publishers. I mean we get great games but shit i hope this doesn't become common place.

Klossen

Banned
Been saying it the moment the KS was revealed with no Xbone version and only two million goal. Shenmue 2 had a budget of 40 million. They need publisher funding just like so many other successful KS games.

Santiako

Now that they know there is interest they should cancel the kickstarter if they are already getting money from Sony.

SerTapTap

I don't mind them picking up the game or getting it exclusive in return since it's VERY clear this shit was never going to happen, but I do think Kickstarter needs to start requiring a clear label on these publisher-backed kickstarters. Stick an "externally funded" badge at the top.

Though it should have been VERY obvious that someone, clearly Sony, would be pitching in several times the funding amount for this from the Kickstarter.

Kickstarters *really* need to make it clear when their aim is only to gain major publisher support.

I agree. I only contributed enough to actually purchase the game, but I still feel a bit cheated. Nintendo didn't make a semi-fake kickstarter to gauge interest for Bayonetta 2, for instance, they just funded it because they wanted it on their console, and they even went a step further and put Bayonetta 1 on there as well.

i'll still probably buy it on pc lol, my bloodborne box won't be around as long as my pc will. oh well, souls games are almost always best on playstation so it's nothing to complain about, i'll still buy all of them on there due to no hackers (lookin at you pc) and larger player base (not that xbox is a bad alternative but PS will always have an advantage in playerbase for souls games imo)

but for shenmue, eh yer gonna have to put something exclusive there to get sales from people like me

joecanada

Soooo now can we ignore all the dumb questions of "why would sony get any credit for this" and "this seems scummy"

it was obvious all along Sony was helping out, helping them out with advertising via giving them stage space during e3 was nice enough, now here's the official word that there's more.

not only that but if they never had a piece of the pie, they would have never gotten extra money from the franchise, so it's not like they were draining the franchise of resources or something. It was nothing, a pipedream and they helped out. big deal, some people need to make sour grapes out of anything.

Then why the Kickstarter?
That's what I don't get. It's like trying to prove a point that didn't need to be made. This idea that people needed to prove their love of Shenmue with some $2 million dollar goal that would be super easy to reach is strange. I'll admit I'm eating crow on this one, because there is no way I thought a massive dev like Sony would send a project they are partially funding to Kickstarter.

eFKac

Why are they using kickstarter then, assholes HUUR DUUR DUUR.

We told you so everyone in that nasty thread.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's the problem? Early fans get the game for cheaper and feel like they supported it's development.

Agreed.

Not to mention, us gamers can now put our money where our mouths are. We want a game made so bad (that would seem hardcore followed but still niche), then let them gauge it. It isn't like most of these Kickstarters do not give fans a copy of the game plus some collector's like extras for their funding. And they get to be recognized in the credits more often than not.

It is pure win IMO.

Top Bottom