• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

antonz

Well they know interest is there. So now they can cancel the kickstarter and have everyone buy it later. right right? LOL

Who am I kidding. Multibillon Dollar corporation found a new way to do things.

kamakazi5

It's Shenmue 3. This approach was invented for a project like this.

Exactly this. This game will cost a lot and Sony needed to be completely sure that fans were willing to put their money up for it. If they just created the game and then it sold like crap they would be out a ton of cash.

entremet

But it is. If they had confidence in the game, they would have backed it like they have other games. The kickstarter was done to essentially prove to SONY that there is demand enough for the game.

I'm sorry, but I don't pay for market research for a multinational corporation.

That's not a burden I want as a consumer.

And the fans who backed it will get the game, others an expensive jacket, others a special lunch with the creator (a once in a lifetime deal) and other cool stuff. Fans should be proud of themselves for making this happen and obviously their money won't be in vain. They revived that game from the dead.

Game dev is expensive guys - there's a very good chance that a lot of the big-name Kickstarters you've backed actually have been used to do the exact same thing. At least Sony was up front about it.

Alx

Kickstarters *really* need to make it clear when their aim is only to gain major publisher support.

Definitely. Between "we need the money" and "prove you want the game by paying for it right now", it's not exactly the same thing.

This needed to be out on the forefront, not that the KS has been hurting, but good to have confirmation. I'm sure more will pour in now as a result.

It could also go the other way. Now that gamers have made their point, it's Sony's turn to show the money.

Bravo Sony. bravo.

It was this or nothing. Same deal with Bayonetta 2. Gamers need to count their lucky stars.

Bayonetta2 wasn't kickstarted, Nintendo wanted the game and paid for it.

This needed to be out on the forefront, not that the KS has been hurting, but good to have confirmation. I'm sure more will pour in now as a result.

Edit: Hope this translates into some kind of HD Shenmue 1 & 2 scenario, I'd like more than the cinematic shorts the KS stretch goal is getting.

Agreed on both points. I'd rather Sony be upfront about this kind of stuff. And I'd love the chance to play through the first two entries before diving into the new one.

Approach was a bit weird, but I thought it was pretty obvious Sony was involved financially.

They must have a contract in place if the kickstarter reached it's goal Sony would kick in X amount of money.

Even though the approach was different, they easily reached their goal in no time and now the game will be developed.

Great news all around for Shenmue fans!

Embarrassingly though, I have yet to play either Shenmue game.

ryseing

That's what basically all of them are

More to the point, I think this is dumb. There was never ever ever ever any doubt that the kickstarted would hit its goal in 31 days, so Sony should have just partnered from the start. There is no "gauging interest" here. The kickstarter was unnecessary

Some people on this very forum thought S3 KS would fail to reach even a million.

Gauging interest was necessary.

It didn't say "this is basically a petition to see if interest is there"

We can probably assume that if it was announced at the Sony E3 conference and didn't raise $2 mill in a month that there wasn't much interest. Sony was just confirming interest with peoples money/creating tons of buzz for themselves.

Erevador

Shenmue is a wildly ambitious franchise.

Personally I'm really happy that Yu will have the coffers and expertise of Sony to back him up on this. Huge asset.

I wonder what would happen if fans pulled their donations bringing it below the $2 million threshold because Sony is now going to fund it too.

TheXbox

Is there really no better way to gauge interest for this thing than preemptively taking people's money? That $2 million is ultimately a just drop in the bucket compared to what the game's actual budget is going to be.

SephLuis

People from the $29 tier are getting the download for the game, so it isn't much different from a pre-order campaign. Except here, they are actually getting the money before in order to fund the project and it gauges fan demand.

With how fast it got to 2m, I have no doubts that Sony was looking it closely and it will be a heavy-hitter in 2017. Sony will probably have a Shenmue HD Collection outsourced, hopefully with BluePoint games.

Bravo Sony. bravo.

It was this or nothing. Same deal with Bayonetta 2. Gamers need to count their lucky stars.

The difference there was that Nintendo funded Bayo 2 regardless of whether it would sell or not.

Meanwhile Sony wanted to hedge their bets and put the onus on the fans.

Anyway, I'm really glad this is coming to PC.

I think this is good news at least because it means that the game might have a decent budget. It certainly needs it.

I do think it is a pity for xbone fans, but there you go...it wouldnt likely have got made otherwise.

MilkBeard

Cool, glad they said it. Now we know, and we can rest easy that this game will get proper backing so that it can live up to the potential.

ironcreed

Banned
It was actually the smartest move they could have made. The response was overwhelming with fan support and now Sony is jumping in with the rest. Everyone wins in the end.

maltrain

My bet: Sony support only 50% of the game (25 millions according what Suzuki said?)

The other 50% is a Suzuki responsability.

And Sony helped giving him a boost on the conference knowning the game will break every record on Kickstarter.

Was it ever implied or that one of the stretch goals would be "xbone" port? I dont get it.

Now im confused too. Does this mean no PC version now? or still PS4/PC? The hell, I thought they were funding the game already with a Kickstarter to help dev costs???
Obviously Sony put a game on the spot at their own show so it could get funded for them, but most importantly also for their competition. It makes sense why people would think it would go there.
lmao

Then why the Kickstarter?

Kickstarter is a good way to secure funds. It's nothing but a pre order campaign in the end. Also, great way to generate buzz and press.

But I understand the feeling. Sony should have been straight up transparent. I understand people feeling weird that they back an independant project only to find out a big publisher will "help and found" the project too.

In a perfect world Sony could have come on stage, present to kickstarter and state " if this succeed, we will provide technical help and easier publishing solutions for the game on PS4 "

Top Bottom