• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

Using a Dual shock for a while really cramps my hands, so if they can take care of that, that'd be nice. A more comfortable d-pad would be nice too, though making good d-pads seems to be a lost art nowadays.

Has anyone else also wore out the plastic/rubber surface of the sticks on the DS3? I had to buy a pair of those silicone caps to fix one. The grips add small bumps on them that added a better feel to them. They could also copy that.

feature-PSM3-Stick-Grips.jpg
I've never really worn out the plastic of a Dualshock or Nintendo (GCN, Classic Controller, Nunchuk) stick, but I wear out the left stick on 360 pads super fast.

gadwn

I agree with this. A controller needs to evolve according to what the new genres demands. Because of this, the DS (a pad with a 20 years old design) doesn't fit for genres like the FPS's or TPS's like the 360 pad does.

And why is that? Symmetrical stick design? I have never understand that complaint, it makes no sense.

But it does have sucky triggers yes, I prefer R1 anyway though.

Arkam

So many of you dream so small. You really want Dual Shock again? I Mean it's solid controller for sure,but evolution is good. While you may like/dislike the WiiU gamepad, I think it is a great effort on evolving the "normal" game controller. I expect the same level of innovation from Both Sony and Microsoft next gen. I remember when many thought the SNES controller was the ppinnacle... lol boy were we wrong

On a side note: It seems all most Gaf members want from next gen is the exact same consoles again, but powerful enough to run Samaritan demo at 1080p 60fps....That's so disappointing.

I would be fine with sony, if they refuse to change the location of the left stick to the proper location.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I HOPE THEY ADD SOME RESISTENCE TO THEM!

Pallad1um

I agree completely with the OP. I own a Playstation and a Playstation 2, but not a Playstation 3 (yet), and as silly as it might look, the main reason is the horrible controller.

I've disliked the Playstation controllers since the beginning, the sticks are hard to use and the Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 managed to create the worst triggers I've seen - though that can be somewhat fixed. Also, after playing with them my hands always hurt - even 30 minutes of play are always a chore...

I understand that a lot of Playstation owners don't agree, and even in my household I'm the only one who really complains, but I believe Sony can change the controller for better without alienating its costumers.

statham

Totally disagree with thumb placement being huge. To me there's zero difference between either placement.

Anyway, my point is about you saying that the Dualshock is outdated and that Microsoft changes their controller to better fit the times. Which is fine and dandy except they changed it to be more similar to the DS. Do you not see the irony here?

no I do not. one is made for FPS the other nintendogs

def sim

So many of you dream so small. You really want Dual Shock again? I Mean it's solid controller for sure,but evolution is good. While you may like/dislike the WiiU gamepad, I think it is a great effort on evolving the "normal" game controller. I expect the same level of innovation from Both Sony and Microsoft next gen. I remember when many thought the SNES controller was the ppinnacle... lol boy were we wrong

On a side note: It seems all most Gaf members want from next gen is the exact same consoles again, but powerful enough to run Samaritan demo at 1080p 60fps....That's so disappointing.

I'm sure Sony will have their own thing to attach to the Regular Ass Controller™ trend. Nintendo with tablet features, MS with Kinect, Sony with ???

woahjeez

Banned
I always hated testing on the PS3 because of that controller. Felt like playing on ice or something because of those loose sticks.

keit4

Banned
And why is that? Symmetrical stick design? I have never understand that complaint, it makes no sense.

But it does have sucky triggers yes, I prefer R1 anyway though.

Nope. I mean that every iteration of the DS only added buttons without a redesing. Because of this, for example, the DS3 has the R2/L2 triggers in that uncomfortable position, almost forcing the user to buy an add-on.

gadwn

While you may like/dislike the WiiU gamepad, I think it is a great effort on evolving the "normal" game controller. I expect the same level of innovation from Both Sony and Microsoft next gen.

God, I hope not. Fuck innovation from that perspective. I don't need gimmicks.

You should stick to Nintendo then.

Nope. I mean that every iteration of the DS only added buttons without a redesing. Because of this, for example, the DS3 has the R2/L2 triggers in that uncomfortable position, almost forcing the user to buy an add-on.

It's not the position so much as how the triggers work.

The $5 clipon things solved mine and a bunch of other people's problems regarding the triggers. Their physical position was never really an issue.

gadwn

Fair enough. But if the game is good and uses R1 for shooting that is not at problem for me anyway, R2 works fine with secondary fire and such. :)

No thanks on the 360s triggers, we need less shooters out there, let alone specifically tailoring our controllers for them.

I would hope the next controller is at least fine tuned because things can always be improved, that goes for both console controllers. The only thing I'd take from the 360 pad is the analog sticks, their sensitivity and resistance is the best I've felt.

DS3 could use a few small improvements, but in no way does it need to be bigger, or redesigned to be like the Xbox controller.

How are you people finding it too small? I've 6'7" with giant hands and I don't have a problem with it!

No thanks on the 360s triggers, we need less shooters out there, let alone specifically tailoring our controllers for them.

I don't even touch shooters with a ten-foot pole with a controller. To me it doesn't matter at all how good the 360 is good with shooters because no analog is ever going to be as good as a mouse for me anyway.

Mr.Green

Of course in the end it's pretty subjective but to declare that this controler is perfect I think one has to be a fanboy of epic proportions.

def sim

The popularity of shooters won't be affected by Sony's design choice. Ignoring the market just because is silly. Besides, triggers work for action adventure games too. Targeting or locking on is a lot more satisfying with them.

There's room for improvement with the triggers, but I hope they don't change the placement of the sticks. Having one stick higher than the other makes no sense to me.
When the Dual Shock was designed the primary job of your left thumb was to manipulate the D Pad. That's why its where it is, it's the natural position when you hold a controller

I would hope the next controller is at least fine tuned because things can always be improved, that goes for both console controllers. The only thing I'd take from the 360 pad is the analog sticks, their sensitivity and resistance is the best I've felt.

The top selling PS3 games are shooters, the best PS3 launch title was a shooter. Shoot, even the first million seller game for the PS3 in the US was a shooter.

DS3 could use a few small improvements, but in no way does it need to be bigger, or redesigned to be like the Xbox controller.

How are you people finding it too small? I've 6'7" with giant hands and I don't have a problem with it!
While I'm no sasquatch I've never really had problems with controllers either. From the original Duke controller for Xbox, to the DualShocks, I don't find 'em too big or small. Actually the only controller that had awkward placement for me was the original Classic Controller, the sticks were a bit too close in that tilting them towards eachother would rub my thumbs against one another.

I love the dual shock and hate the 360 controller. So, obviously, I do not agree with the hypothesis of this thread.

Also, I'm 6'2 and have hands that match that and I don't find the DS to be small at all.

Annnnnnnd, why in the world would anyone not want symmetrical sticks? Having them offset is silly. I'm glad the Nintendo pad for the Wii-U copied sony on this and not MS.

Lima

Keep using those trigger add-ons people. Try playing a racing game that uses analog inputs and you will see that you will no longer be able to achieve 100% acceleration.

This is very easy to see by just playing GT5 and looking at the telemetry data.

That is not really an issue with shooters because most of them use digital inputs but fuck them for racing games.

Snipes424

It just needs some better analog sticks, make them concave instead of convex and a tad bit more springy, or just rip off the joy sticks from the 360 pad and put them on the DS4 and call it a day.

I agree with this. A controller needs to evolve according to what the new genres demands. Because of this, the DS (a pad with a 20 years old design) doesn't fit for genres like the FPS's or TPS's like the 360 pad does.

Playing TPS and FPS is no harder than on 360. You need a left stick, a right stick, and a button to shoot with. DS has all of the requirements.

If anything, it's easier than the 360, because shooting with R1 is way better than shooting with RT.

Mandoric

Banned
I agree completely with the OP. I own a Playstation and a Playstation 2, but not a Playstation 3 (yet), and as silly as it might look, the main reason is the horrible controller.

I've disliked the Playstation controllers since the beginning, the sticks are hard to use and the Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 managed to create the worst triggers I've seen - though that can be somewhat fixed. Also, after playing with them my hands always hurt - even 30 minutes of play are always a chore...

I understand that a lot of Playstation owners don't agree, and even in my household I'm the only one who really complains, but I believe Sony can change the controller for better without alienating its costumers.

It's mostly an issue of how you hold the controller. If you grip the DS3 hard, it's a cramping mess like trying to keep a firm grip on a flopping fish; you've gotta relax. If you cradle the X360 pad relaxedly, it's a bulky lump that's perpetually grinding on your middle fingers (especially with that huge battery pack); you've gotta get a good grip on it.
That makes it pretty hard to "compromise".

The DualShock triggers need to go. Ideally back to pressure-sensitive L2. All debate about favorite genre aside, triggers are -bad for shooters- except for they hyper-chuu2 appeal of "guns have triggers too!"; they're bad for quick shots, for rapid fire, and the lack of a solid break action means the most "gunlike" L/R were actually on the damn Saturn pad.
Only genre they're actually good for is racers.

denshuu

The L2 and R2 buttons on the Dualshock 3 are the absolute worst triggers in the history of console controllers (that... have triggers). It says a lot about a product when the top selling accessory for it are tiny plastic clip-ons to un-fuck how stupid those two buttons are.

Raoh

I also think 360 fans try to hold a DS3 like a 360 controller.

With the 360 you grip the handles/grips.

With the DS3 your hands are more spread out, your supporting the handles/grips with your free fingers from the bottom and press down with just the side of your palm just below the thumb.

I tend to also use my middle fingers for the L2/R2 sometimes depending on the game and amount of use of the L2/R2. For instance with shooters, I don't want to take my trigger finger (index) off the R1 just in case I need to shoot real fast, the middle finger on my R2 helps to keep me at the ready.

With the 360 you have to leave the trigger to use the right bumper.

Stop trying to hold your Playstation controllers like a 360 controller.

Other then the L2-R2 buttons I dont have any problems with the current dualshock design but even I think its time for a change.

They probably should have released a "dualshock 3 pro" that fixed the shoulder buttons and tested out some design changes before a proper overhaul with the ps4.

But I know what I want and I want to the game controller to be replaced with 2 motion sensing Nunchuck / navigation controller style controllers.

You can still have all the buttons of the ps3 and 360 controller plus you can have decent motion control gaming and its just really comfortable.

I really like the 2 part design of the Wii mote + nunchock and PS move.

acm2000

better triggers, swap left stick and dpad, and make the sticks tighter would bring it on par with 360 pad, of course if ms fixed the dpad, it would be the ultimate super duper mega controller

It's the perfect controller for me. I hate that the 360 controller is not symmetrical and having analogue face buttons makes a difference. I play racing games with the face buttons for throttle control because of it and they feel better than the click buttons of the 360.

GQman2121

Banned
I play with the real triggers. Those two buttons would be my only complaint.

I will say though, that if they started offering controllers with the left stick and the dpad swapped, that I wouldn't be against it.

Raoh

The L2 and R2 buttons on the Dualshock 3 are the absolute worst triggers in the history of console controllers (that... have triggers). It says a lot about a product when the top selling accessory for it are tiny plastic clip-ons to un-fuck how stupid those two buttons are.

I can't argue that, I lost one of my clips once and spent half an hour looking for it because I refused to play without them.

There is no reason for sony to not fix that with every new playstation 3 sold, just fix it anyone wanting the new one can buy one and new customers won't have to suffer.

Again I say.. This is the best design ever...

Top Bottom