• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

Grim1ock

Banned
I would only change the triggers and nothing else. I would be seriously annoyed if sony changes the analog sticks.

And the sony D-pad is the best thing ever. Street fighter, king of fighters, mortal kombat, tekken you name it are all glorious on playstation because of the D-pad. The 360 controller absolutely lags behind in this matter

Durante

The 360 controller feels much better in every aspect, especially the one with the slide out Dpad.
Let me tell you a small story. I just fixed my 360 wireless receiver for PC, which was broken for a month. So I thought "yay, time to play Dark Souls wirelessly" and decided to brave Blighttown. The joysticks felt a bit stuck and the button shape is strange, but nothing I couldn't deal with. At some point I got a toxic state, so time was of the essence, especially since another enemy was running at me. I adroitly switched to the blooming moss and ate it to cure myself, finishing just in time to block the enemies' blow with my shield.

Except I no longer had a shield, because the d-pad decided I wasn't just pushing down, but also left. Ten thousand souls and 4 humanity down the drain. Back to the DS3 for me.

Tellaerin

Might as well bring backtrack the 2600 controller as the standard for next gen.
I mean, who needs evolution? 20 year old shit is perfectly fine, so why not 30 year old shit? SMH

Take a look at the keyboard you're typing on.

Should we arbitrarily change the key layout every five years or so, too, just to keep things interesting?

The reason people are arguing against 'evolution' here is because we've already got something that's comfortable and works well. That's why some designs remain substantially unchanged for decades, because there's really not much that can be done to improve on them.

Carl

Fix L2/R2, tighten the sticks and change to concave, then it will be tolerable. Until then, the 360 is still far superior in every way except D-pad.

Concave sticks are horrible. As soon as your thumb flesh touches it, it pushes in anyway.

They need to find something better than the dual analog controller. It's a silly device that we all got used to but sucks for most games. It's very unimmersive and very unintuitive. Yes, you'll have to get used to another device, but it's for the better. It's like Windows.. we all got used to it and now we somehow think we need it. But the truth is that it sucks and needs to be replaced by something better. All my opinion ofcourse.......

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Give me either controller and I still do work.

I prefer the DS3 though, but also like the 360 controller a lot.

I really like the DS3's sticks, so no change there. Placement dont faze me, but prefer to keep it where its at. The convex grip feels like I have more precise control.

DS3 face buttons > 360 face buttons
DS3 shoulder buttons > 360 bumpers
DS3 triggers < 360 triggers

And I like the feel of both controllers.

Famassu

The 360 controller feels much better in every aspect, especially the one with the slide out Dpad.
No, the bumpers are shit and almost ruin a lot of games. Imo, the only thing it does better are the analogue sticks and it's a tiny bit more comfortable to hold. Otherwise it's worse in every regards.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
All I want changed is those stupid L2 R2 trigger redesign they did for the PS3. Worst triggers ever.

watership

I've always thought the sticks were too lose on the dual shocks. Fix this and make them fit into a HUMAN hands and we're set. Sometimes I feel like I'm holding a handful of Duplo blocks.

My main issue with that solution (which I own btw)... is one its after market so its not a standard on the DS, and two given its after market for some reason most friggin games on the PS3 come with the L1/R1 buttons as the default trigger / gas buttons, so you have to go in and change the buttons (if you can) to make this a viable option to play with. Sony just make L2/R2 the main triggers already and stop living in the year 2000.
they use r1 for shooting and gas because it feels like shit with the R2 button.

Triggers are spongy. also should curve out instead of in, a la the realtrigger extensions which I've come to love

My thumbs often slip from the analogs (left, in particular) when needing to hold them in place for a bit, such as walking in the same direction for a while. Should be concave and more resistant rubber. They are also too loose.

Dpad could be better but that goes for all the 1st party controllers, really.

I'm partial on stick placement. The left one is fine where it is, but I think since it get's more use it could go where the dpad is, a la 360 controller. Not really an issue but I think it could be more comfortable there.

Form wise, a little heavier and proper triggers for L2 and R2 would be the changes that I would make.

Aesthetic wise, maybe update the PS home button to stand out.

cakefoo

The 360 controller isn't perfect but what it does right needs to be imitated. PS4 controller needs concave thumb tips (not slippery convex ones), straight-traveling concave R2/L2 triggers (not convex "flaps"), and better overall ergonomics on the outer grips.

And I wish the Start and Select buttons weren't rubbery.

I like the face buttons and DPAD and R1/L1 buttons.

W1SSY

So pretty much to recap this thread 50% of people like the DS and 50% like the 360 controller. This isn't new news and any time anyone brings up a thread like this it splits down the middle.

Personally I think the DS is great I just wish they would change the L2 and R2 buttons but the layout works for me.

LeleSocho

Banned
I haven't a problem with its the size even if i have pretty big hands but with pretty much everything else should be changed, the analogs should be in an asymmetrical position, the triggers should be concave and not convex, the dpad should be way more like the Vita one because the one of the dualshock is the worst dpad i've ever used in my life

Brera

Banned
Sony have their head screwed on right.

Nintendo need to follow their lead. They had the best two controllers in the SNES and N64. The GC pad should have been a melding of the two not the abomination they gave us.

Hell, MS even had the right idea with the duke to 360 evolution.

It's all about evolution not revolution Nintendo!

cgcg

They need to improve the triggers then it's pretty much perfect. Concave sticks are shit, that's why Sony had it with the original DS then quickly changed it.

Concave sticks are horrible.

Yep, in theory it sounds good if you can keep your thumbs on the nub dead center at all times but in reality as soon as you start moving the stick you are pretty much just touching the ring edge. Pretty much renders the concave depression useless.

Flayer

The Dualshock is a fantastic controller, I hope they keep it. I'm so used to it as well now, it's like part of my body.

Gustav

Banned
As long as the stick placement stays the same and the triggers don't become the defacto standard for shooters like on the 360, I'm happy.

Tripolygon

Banned
7285448828_87fb5803cb.jpg

Every direction works as it is intended. That's my standard for D-pads.

If I'm playing a fighting game, I'd be using a stick.

It doesn't matter when you get cramps in your thumb for more than 20 minutes of using the d-pad. Trying to play Mega Man with that crap d-pad was a nightmare. I don't know how I used that thing back in the PS1 days before the Analog stick came along for it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The analog placement makes no sense, since it was basically a shoehorned in after they were ''inspired'' by the N64.
It's a symmetrical design. Of course it makes sense. Triggers need improvement but overall I'd be fine with the same thing again.

Midou

Those cheap 5 dollar triggers make it 100% perfect for everything but it is a little worse for FPS in general. If they add better triggers to the PS4 controller, that is enough for me. I hate shooters on consoles, so it would never really bother me otherwise. The awesome dpad is perfect for lots of twitch games too.

Toppot

• Curve the triggers*
  • Concave analogues
  • A little more resistance on the analogues
  • Allow people to switch the left stick and d-pad

*I have spent way too much on clip on triggers, Giotech must be making a killing on them.

It doesn't matter when you get cramps in your thumb for more than 20 minutes of using the d-pad. Trying to play Mega Man with that crap d-pad was a nightmare.

What? I've played the fuck out of MM10 on the D-pad with zero complaints over here.

I prefer the 360's rotating Dpad to sonys, SNES is the standard Dpad for me.

The 360's is woefully imprecise and feels far too cheap to be considered part of an "official" controller. The 360 d-pad looks, feels and plays like those shitty 3rd party SNES controller you were always stuck playing with when you went over to a friend's house.

HardRojo

I don't know, they could always keep the Dualshock the way it is and release a new design along with it to see if it pleases the people who need a controller closer to the 360's, I've always used the Dualshock so I find it pretty comfortable and familiar for the games I play, for fighters I just use my stick.

blamite

Dualshock's awful, I don't know what it is but something about the shape makes my hands fall asleep when I use it for too long. This never happens to me with any other controller. I think it's the fact that the "handles" just aren't shaped ergonomically enough like the 360 controller's are.

This to me will basically sell me a ps4 or not next gen. If the controller doesnt get better (especially for shooters) theyre not getting a dime from me.

Sony have their head screwed on right.

Nintendo need to follow their lead. They had the best two controllers in the SNES and N64. The GC pad should have been a melding of the two not the abomination they gave us.

Heresy. The GC pad is the best of all time.

Anyways, as others have stated, since day 1 I felt something was off with the DS's analog placement. The left one has been awkward as hell for over a decade. Switch it with the digital, and keep it the way it is.

It's just fine the way it is, but I wouldn't mind a change just for the hell of it. My only beef is the triggers could be a bit better.

def sim

It doesn't matter when you get cramps in your thumb for more than 20 minutes of using the d-pad. Trying to play Mega Man with that crap d-pad was a nightmare. I don't know how I used that thing back in the PS1 days before the Analog stick came along for it.

Cramps? Are you sure your issue isn't with the size?

Reallink

PS4 pack in stock pad needs to be 2 greatly improved and totally redesigned Move controllers that break apart for independent control and attach at the center to form a standard dual analog controller. The idea that a 2013-2020+ console should ship with a bog standard slightly redesigned dual analog controller is moronic. Selling a stand alone "Classic/Pro" controller is way too easy.

Top Bottom