• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

bryanee

New triggers and analogue sticks please. Oh and the left analogue stick placement is just awful, thats one of the reason I hate using the CCP for the Wii. I'd keep the shape of the pad as it is as its quite nice to hold.

olimpia84

I have huge hands and never found them to be uncomfortable so I'm hoping they keep the same controller for the PS4 since I love the DS3. The only thing that needs some improvement is the L2 and R2 triggers but other than that it's a great controller.

reminder

I don't want them to change the DualShock. I always fear that i won't get used to a new controller, like with the original Xbox Controller, or the Game Cube Controller for 3rd Party games (it was really good for 1st party games, though).

meppi

Might as well bring backtrack the 2600 controller as the standard for next gen.
I mean, who needs evolution? 20 year old shit is perfectly fine, so why not 30 year old shit? SMH

Jb

For the love of God don't make it as bulky as the 360 controller. It gives me cramps after a couple of hours and makes it hard to play long sessions. But yeah the analog sticks could use some work (and even then I don't have too much problem playing CoD with it).

linko9

Lately I've been switching back and forth between the 360 and PS3 controllers a lot, just due to the games I've been playing, and I've come to the realization that I prefer the Dualshock quite a bit. I like the feel of the buttons a lot more, I prefer the shoulder buttons by a mile, and the d-pad is far superior (though still not great). I really don't have a preference regarding the stick placement, but I really prefer the convex, softer sticks on the Dualshock. It allows more of my thumb to be in contact with the stick at any given time, which makes it slightly easier to manipulate. Also, the hard convex buttons of the 360 controller, and the concave sticks mean that the buttons and sticks are essentially poking my fingers, so I have some very minor pain in my thumbs after a long play session with the 360 controller. All minor complaints, but complaints nonetheless. The Dualshock isn't anywhere close to perfect, so I do hope they make improvements, but I hope they don't make it more 360-like.

Nizz

My only problem with the DS are the triggers but I love the DS I hope they dont change it much!

Yep. Change the L2/R2 triggers back to buttons like the Dualshock 2, or make the triggers concave instead of convex so fingers don't slide off.

But yep, DS4 with better L2/R2 buttons is all I need.

Derrick01

Banned
Might as well bring backtrack the 2600 controller as the standard for next gen.
I mean, who needs evolution? 20 year old shit is perfectly fine, so why not 30 year old shit? SMH

Because 30 year old shit can't play 2012 games whereas 20 year old shit can. If you're looking for "innovation" from an input device you're looking at the wrong thing. You should be asking for innovative games instead.

The boomerang controller was really bad to use or people just freak out about the design back in 2006?

playstation-3-controller-20050518112952339_640w.jpg

The boomerang controller would most likely have felt great to hold. I have a similarly shaped controller and it is super comfortable. One reviewer said it felt more natural to hold this controller than to hold nothing at all.

Also you wouldn't have to bend your thumbs very much to operate the controls, they are already at a slight angle. EDIT: The buttons do seem to be too far apart though.

barrin87

My fingers slip off of the L2 and R2 every so often but other than that it's a perfect controller. If I wanted a 360 controller I would just play that system but I want my DS3.

KalBalboa

Banned
It'll likely have a few small, gradual changes like the last three iterations.

I've been playing with that familiar controller for seventeen years now... if it ain't broke don't fix it. There's always room for improvement, though.

def sim

They would at least be usable for primary functions instead of having it be the dedicated reload/grenade button.

They're a tad too high and not as well positioned as the Dual Shock's L1/R1 buttons, but they're not unusable at all. The internet loves their extremes, but come on.

I'm saying this as someone who played Dark Souls on both systems. Better on DS; not bad at all with the 360 controller.

SykoTech

They'll copy Nintendo again, whose busy copying Microsoft. Bam! Universal controller.

Well, outside of the Wii U pro controller's terrible button placement.

I liked L2 and R2 on the DualShock 2 beter, but it's fine outside of that.

mattp

i can understand people wanting an updated DS3(although i do like it besides the mushy L2/R2)
what i can't understand is how everyone seems to think the 360 pad is perfect? or would be perfect with a new dpad

come on. the face buttons on the 360 pad are pretty shitty compared to the DS. the bumpers are TERRIBLE. probably the worst part of the design. they're so awkward to press
and obviously the dpad is garbage

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't think that anyone outside of Sony ever got to hold it. There's one shot of a Sony employee holding it with gloves, and it's actually much smaller than you'd think when you just look at regular photos of it.

con113ooytu83.jpg

That looks really small, unless the angle is screwing me up. That or that person has giant hands.

Liamario

Banned
-I have small girl hands (I'm not a girl). The dual shock sticks are too close together.

-The 'triggers' are poor- take a leaf from the ps move triggers, which are perfect.

-I'd like the option to make the triggers behave like standard shoulder buttons as well.

-Customisable buttons (replace d-pad/sticks with a small thumb wheel for example), as well as customise their locations.

-Make a bigger version of the Vita d-pad and use it! It's a thing of beauty.

Somebody with too much time on their hands should draw my design.

I can't take anyone seriously who feels the triggers are perfect. The controller was unusable until I bought the real trigger button add ons. Now they are tolerable but still need fixed.

Psi

It needs better triggers and the ability to replace the battery without having to take the whole controller apart.

def sim

I can't take anyone seriously who feels the triggers are perfect. The controller was unusable until I bought the real trigger button add ons. Now they are tolerable but still need fixed.

They're not very good, but shooters on PS3 have adapted by moving fire to R1. R2's weakness isn't very apparent to me anymore.

Still needs to change though, yeah.

Carl

As long as the anaolgues stay in the current (correct) place, i don't care.

It's perfect how it is to me, though.

Would be interested in Boomerang controlelr.

I like everything about the DS3 controller apart form the shit triggers, which are fixed with those $5 clipon thingies.

I don't agree with any of the other complaints. I don't think it being lightweight is bad, I don't think the sticks are too lose, and I definitely don't think they should swap the d-pad and left stick.

The 360 controller on the other hand...I like it enough, as it's my go-to controller for PC games (which I play more often nowadays), but the bumpers and d-pad are dogshit and the battery compartment is EXTREMELY annoying. My middle fingers always end up in some uncomfortable position thanks to that shitty tumor on the back.

I would like it if they made adjustments to the DS4 more along the lines of the original Dual Analog controller (concave sticks, ridged triggers, slightly longer grips).

Endo Punk

Don't care for shooters. Love the controller, analogue placement and especially D-pad. Hate triggers though, need to make them like the PS2.

steadfast

Fix L2/R2, tighten the sticks and change to concave, then it will be tolerable. Until then, the 360 is still far superior in every way except D-pad.

Top Bottom