• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: OK with PSVR on PC in future, but current focus is games

Sony preparing its exit from console business.

Listen to him, you might learn something.

So, okay, PSVR on PC, sounds nice, but you'd still need a decent rig, right? Then again, just the ultra-hardcore audience would buy PSVR AND Vive/OR, right? So being the only cross console/PC VR set would be a pretty nice USP.

It'd be great. Don't have a gaming PC that is up to snuff anymore, but it would be nice to go right into PC VR once I upgrade mine. Obviously I'd prefer to have a Vive for that experience, but that is a whole other investment.

Dio

Banned
I don't really see why you would want PSVR on PC.

I dunno man, Vive and Rift only supporting 90hz and the PSVR supporting 120hz, along with a minor resolution difference (the PSVR is 960x1080 per eye, the Vive and Rift are 1080x1200 per eye) and the PSVR being a few hundred dollars cheaper makes me want to use a PSVR on PC.

The big bottleneck for the PSVR is simply the PS4 at this point. Running it on a PC gives it a very competitive place, IMO.

Zalusithix

Uh, isn't SteamVR supposed to be for the Vive?

How's that going to work when you can't face away from the camera with a PSVR?

OpenVR is an abstraction layer. You don't need to support room scale to use it.

Edit:
I dunno man, Vive and Rift only supporting 90hz and the PSVR supporting 120hz, along with a minor resolution difference (the PSVR is 960x1080 per eye, the Vive and Rift are 1080x1200 per eye) and the PSVR being a few hundred dollars cheaper makes me want to use a PSVR on PC.

The big bottleneck for the PSVR is simply the PS4 at this point. Running it on a PC gives it a very competitive place, IMO.
That 120Hz is going to require at least as beastly of a machine as the 90Hz at Rift/Vive resolutions. At that point a couple hundred bucks is nothing. There's a number of reasons to want PSVR on the PC. Better specs is not one of them.

Nzyme32

Uh, isn't SteamVR supposed to be for the Vive?

How's that going to work when you can't face away from the camera with a PSVR?

SteamVR is HMD agnostic since Valve are happy to get as many customers as possible. HTC Vive is the first of many headsets that will target SteamVR. SteamVR is OpenVR compliant

OpenVR is basically the api without Steam. So any OpenVR compliant games, content etc work with any OpenVR compliant headsets. Anyone can use it, make stores, content, headsets etc and not use Steam stuff, use any business model etc. They even get access to a bunch of Valve tech that is a part of it like the Chaperone system.

You can face away. There are LEDs around the whole headset.

The headset works fine, the controllers will not be reliable if you are facing away and occlude them.

Zalusithix

I asked if this was a possibility on this very forum and was treated like an idiot.

Going by Sony's historical (lack of) support of Playstation gear on the PC, you'd have to excuse anybody for assuming they weren't going to do it themselves. It's still an open question as to when they will. It might not happen at all for the first generation. Who knows.

kinggroin

Banned
I honestly have no idea why ANYONE would actively be against another HMD landing on PC while also supporting a console.

Just don't.

I can understand saying, "pass" cause you got the money for a better experience, but otherwise come the fuck on son.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lol at people thinking Sony would take focus off of psvr and its games pushing ps4 sales only to launch it on pc. I see them expanding it to other platforms only once it maximizes profit for its own ecosystem.

And nothing is wrong with this.

murgo

PC support would be amazing. I can't really justify getting a Vive or Rift, so PSVR will be my only option at PCVR. If my rig isn't powerful enough, then so be it. But at least I'll be able to experience VR on PS4.

Dio

Banned
That 120Hz is going to require at least as beastly of a machine as the 90Hz at Rift/Vive resolutions. At that point a couple hundred bucks is nothing. There's a number of reasons to want PSVR on the PC. Better specs is not one of them.

Yeah, so? 120hz isn't nothing, I think. People buy 144hz monitors over 120, the higher the support the better so I find it a little odd that you'd be downplaying that bonus.

I've always been a proponent of better framerate over resolution if the choice needed to be made.

Zalusithix

I honestly have no idea why ANYOME would actively be against another HMD landing on PC while also supporting a console.

Just don't.

I can understand saying, "pass" cause you got the money for a better experience, but otherwise come the fuck on son.

There's legitimate reasons. It's all in the details. Bringing a headset to the PC doesn't magically make it work with existing headsets and games. You have to play with the existing standards or make your own. There's already multiple (not fully interoperable) standards for the PC. A problem which needs to be addressed for the future health of VR on the PC. Having another heavyweight potentially introduce another standard would make matters worse.

Yeah, so? 120hz isn't nothing, I think. People buy 144hz monitors over 120, the higher the support the better so I find it a little odd that you'd be downplaying that bonus.

I've always been a proponent of better framerate over resolution if the choice needed to be made.
Hah... 120Hz is nothing... Monitor != VR. You're rendering twice and can't frame drop in VR, and you're running prediction logic. It's already a challenge to get 90Hz in VR on a PC. 120Hz is shrinking the window in which you have to get everything done even further.

Also numbers:
1920*1080 @ 144Hz = 298598400 pixels rendered per second
960*1080*2 with 1.4x superscaling for VR @ 120Hz = 487710720 pixels rendered per second
So VR at 120Hz is more demanding than 144Hz on a monitor. Now how many people are hitting 144fps with zero drops on their monitor?
Edit: And for comparison's sake the PC headsets are 457228800 pixels per second @ 90Hz using the same calculations. There's some room to reduce this though with lower scaling due to the higher starting res.

rambis

Banned
I've figured as much. PSVR could be the leading VR device on every platform with that price difference. You're crazy if you don't think this interests Sony.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Not a PC gamer myself but PSVR on PC can only be a good thing. The main problem with a PS camera having an adapter for PC is any potential latency, they may need to make a native PC version.

RibMan

They haven't even released official DS4 drivers yet like they promised. Can't imagine the wait on them getting PSVR onto PC officially.

I came in to post something similar. PSVR on PC would be fantastic, but Sony haven't even made official DS4 drivers on PC. It's one thing to say they'll do it, it's another thing to look at their history on PC and realize they're not serious about anything on the platform.

UrbanRats

For your already high cost rig? Please. PC gamers that are already invested in that space will go for the option that is built for PC.
I'm speaking specifically about this version of PSVR.
PSVR 2 is another story and will probably be compatible with PC, PS5 and as many other devices that makes sense. Will most likely have it's own PC storefront.

"Please" what? You assume a lot there.

I am a PC gamer, i have a "Vive ready" PC, and i still can't bring myself to spend a 1000€ in one pop on a 1st gen VR headset.
400€ though? That's more reasonable.

I also didn't buy my PC in one go, i bought various parts spread through time, to minimize the economic impact, and look for various offers on components.
I can't buy a Vive in pieces or installments though.

Having a gaming PC, doesn't mean money are never an issue.

Especially, again, since we're talking 1st gen, something that will likely be significantly out-dated in a couple of years.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not a PC gamer myself but PSVR on PC can only be a good thing. The main problem with a PS camera having an adapter for PC is any potential latency, they may need to make a native PC version.

I think the most likely solution will require a PS4.

The Move.Me project connected your PS3 to your PC, and the PS3 fed tracked input to the PC application.

I think something like that will be the case with this, if it happens. Connect your PS4 camera to your PS4, PS4 to your PC, it feeds input data to the PC. Probably feed output directly to the HMD though via HDMI.

This would have the not-unimportant side effect of ensuring you have a PS4 - and have access to the PS4 and PSVR software ecosystem which is their bread and butter in the end.

Tumle

But why when we have the Vive and the Rift?
So now competition is a bad thing?
Having one headset that can be used on two ecosystems.. Hmmm I wonder how that's a bad thing too? And it's cheaper ( though not the same specs, but close enough).. Aparently a bad thing too..

Tumle

Isn't the ps4 camera port just an unconventional USB 3.0 port?
I can't see the big latency in that kind of a converter.. But I have no idea if that's true about the camera port.. I just think I read it somewhere here on Gaf

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But why when we have the Vive and the Rift?

If you already have a PS4 then it's a slam dunk. I've also got a VR capable PC but I don't want multiple headsets in the house.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So by the time it's compatible, why would anyone care about it on PC? There'll be tons of content for Oculus and Vive already (not to mention the superior hardware), and no developer will waste their time on it at that point. This is basically that Windows Kinect thing.

You make it open VR compatible and a ton of stuff will work. That plus a competitive price point and it could be an attractive entry level option for PC owners - especially those that can't meet the minimum specs for the rift or vive

//DEVIL//

enable this on pc and this will be transform from maybe buy to a must buy for me. As this wil be the only thing that works on both consoles. The price will be justified for me

Sony should strongly advertise that PSVR will be PC compatible at some point because that would affect a lot of folks buying decisions.

It's great news for me.

Great news I think too.

Conceivably the PS VR could be it's own platform alongside PS4.

Instead of PS Vita (RIP) and PS4....

New dual lineup is PSVR and PS4, fine by me.

I have a question: How much power does it need to watch a VR video on PC? It will be so cool if I can use the PSVR for both my PS4 and laptop.

Durante

because i don't have to buy two devices?
Say whaaaaa? lol
I don't really see why you wouldn't want PSVR on PC.
Come on son.
Options are bad all of a sudden? People should spend all their disposable income on multiple headsets? Some people don't feel threatened by added competition.
It seems my previous comment inadvertently stirred a hornet's nest!

All I'm saying is that as someone directly in the target audience for VR (to the point of having backed the Rift KS, and receiving both a Rift and a Vive in the upcoming weeks) I don't really see why you would want PSVR on PC. It's half a year late, it's not part of either of the major ecosystem pushes on the platform, and it doesn't have any convincing hardware advantages over the existing systems. If you want a low-cost alternative, there's already OSVR with a $300 price tag with all you need for tracking included.

Now, if they would actually bring their exclusive software to PC with it I'd see a use case, but I heavily doubt that.

orochi91

All I'm saying is that as someone directly in the target audience for VR (to the point of having backed the Rift KS, and receiving both a Rift and a Vive in the upcoming weeks) I don't really see why you would want PSVR on PC. It's half a year late, it's not part of either of the major ecosystem pushes on the platform, and it doesn't have any convincing hardware advantages over the existing systems. If you want a low-cost alternative, there's already OSVR with a $300 price tag with all you need for tracking included.

Now, if they would actually bring their exclusive software to PC with it I'd see a use case, but I heavily doubt that.

Getting PSVR up and running on PC would benefit those who already own PS4s, as you'd only need a single headset that's compatible with 2 separate platforms and their respective games.

Ran rp

but why would I want to spend 300 on OSVR when I already have the PSVR for the PS4?

Alo0oy

Banned
I came in to post something similar. PSVR on PC would be fantastic, but Sony haven't even made official DS4 drivers on PC. It's one thing to say they'll do it, it's another thing to look at their history on PC and realize they're not serious about anything on the platform.

The DS4 is plug & play on PC, it doesn't need drivers.

The only issue is that it uses the DirectInput API instead of Xinput, any game that supports DirectInput should support DS4 natively, which is a good majority of the games (the ones I've played anyway).

Vlodril

It would allow you to have one headset for both ps4 and pc games and apss. Why wouldn't you want it for those that have a ps4?

Personally i am in a wait and see approach on vr in general but if they did allow it (which again i dbout) i would totally lean towards it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Again. How in the world can you not see the benefits to the consumer if Sony were to allow PSVR to work on the PC? Like, great for you being able to buy the expensive headset, but some are only going to be able to afford one and if that one works for two platforms all the better.

wow really surprised by this. then again they have been harping on how they want to help establish VR and not be too competitive, so i guess it makes sense that they want to help VR spread first and worry about exclusive stuff later.

maybe they'll wait till the next gen PSVR unit is launching and then open up the V1 for PC? who knows.

Bravocado

I agree with this.

spwolf

Listen to him, you might learn something.

So, okay, PSVR on PC, sounds nice, but you'd still need a decent rig, right? Then again, just the ultra-hardcore audience would buy PSVR AND Vive/OR, right? So being the only cross console/PC VR set would be a pretty nice USP.

i suspect Sony's intention would be for business applications of PSVR and not gaming on PC.

Dynasty

From a hardware perspective Oculus and Vive are better. They use 2 screen, 1 for each eye while PSVR uses 1 curved one.

Edit: Appears I'm wrong about the PSVR screen.

Genio88

Whether they're doing it or not modders will make it work on PC too eventually, though i wouldn't consider it oculus costs only 100€ more and offers better screen quality, frames and controls

Top Bottom