• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents possible PS5 Backward Compatibility method invented by Mark Cerny

Shin

Banned
The house of PlayStation, Sony Interactive Entertainment, registered a patent with the Japan Patent Office which seems to have “PS5” written all over it.
The patent describes a method that allows a device to check whether an application is a legacy application (IE: designed for an older device) or not.
If it isn’t, it returns its own correct CPU ID, if it is indeed a legacy application, it returns a spoofed CPU ID basically allowing the processor to impersonate the one used in the older device for backward compatibility purposes.

While there is no way to be sure that this will be used on the PS5, how whatever Sony’s next-generation console will be called, the inventor of this method is Mark Cerny, who is well known as the lead architect behind the PS4.
Of course, we don’t have a confirmation that Cerny is currently working on PS5 either, but it at least stands to reason to believe that this is possible.
As usual, this kind of information should be taken with a grain of salt, because patents don’t always result in actual products, but the timing of this filing certainly doesn’t appear completely random.

Credit: Twinfinite
Source: Hokanko

thelastword

Banned
Cerny is such a great architect, I believe in him.....He was so instrumental in designing the PS4 which was the most powerful in 2013 and which has dominated since then, absolutely no issues with the hardware, lots of neat features; like the share button, essentially a great controller, the audio jack and touchpad, the media chip and of course 8Gb of GDDR5.......Media streaming on a console and the share button for pics and vids were such powerful features on day 1.......Playstation Live was lit and saw so much activity which boosted PS4 sales and attracted many persons to the eco-system...

Looking at the great work he did with the PRO, with it's custom design, Vega features, 64 rops in 2016, I know we are in for something really special with PS5, all the chips are aligning for a powerful SOC in late 2020, with some neat custom features which I can't wait to know about.....Yet, I'm doubly interested in some of the OS features, just like they brought media streaming to consoles; shareplay, remoteplay....I want to see what new revolutionary feature they adopt or present to us in 2020........Some of their patents for texture replacement in old games is looking very promising, so their BC approach should be very ambitious by the looks of it...

ptuck874

giphy.gif

I think the long tail (as it's known) will be more important going forward. If devs are able to keep making money off old and new games for a few decades it could reduce the incentives to add loot boxes and pay-to-win mechanics to new games, since revenue from older titles would be coming in.

Well, that's the hope at least.

thelastword

Banned
But people buy new systems to play new games, right? Nobody cares about backwards compatibility, I was told.
Tbh, this does not make and break a console, but if they're doing it with the ambition they are, people will take note of it and use it more....Sometimes it's not what you do, it's how you do it......

In any case, if I want to go back to old games where textures are replaced, 60fps is given, 4k resolution is standard with 16xAF and TAA, I'm more than happy to play some PS4 games or my backlog with such enhancements......Yet, I'll tell you something, no matter how nice they look, they won't look as nice as PS5 games and that's what everybody will be drooling about and playing......I won't be playing Shadowfall at 4k 60fps on launch day on PS5, I will be playing the new Killzone by Guerilla that will surely blow eye-sockets out......

mcz117chief

I'm hoping this includes all previous consoles. And if so, I'm hoping it does some auto magic enhancements to them to make them look the best they can.
If they can make even PS3 backwards compatible then that would be awesome but I don't hold my breath. PS4 is the absolute minimum I am willing to accept.

I will be playing the new Killzone by Guerilla that will surely blow eye-sockets out......

It might look good but if it is as boring and bland as all the other Killzone games then what is the point? I want fun games. There are games which don't look spectacular but are extremely fun (NAtURAL DOCtRINE, EDF) and then there are games which look great but are no fun to play. There are still dozens of great games on PS3/4 that I haven't played that I want to and if it would be all available from one place that would be very convenient, as opposed to juggling cables all the time when I want to play a PS3 game.

Last edited:

Frizzie

Banned
If it's true it would be quite a pro-consumer thing to do regardless of how much it is used.

A positive starting point I think.

thelawof4

If the PS5 is supporting backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP, PSV and maybe PS3 then i'll gladly pay Sony.

Pallas

If the PS5 is supporting backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP, PSV and maybe PS3 then i'll gladly pay Sony.

Sure I would too but I wouldn’t count on anything other than PS4 being compatible with the PS5. Everything else will probably require PSNow or digital purchase I bet.

Shin

Banned
I thought this was given from the get go. Even the POSSIBILITY of PS5 not being backwards compatible is outrageous.
You never know with Sony until they confirm it, looking at their history it's hit and miss, yet they've been at the forefront of BC in general.
Also the application got pulled from public viewing on the Japanese site, so a bit of "oops that didn't supposed to happen", just gives more credibility to this story.

thelastword

Banned
It might look good but if it is as boring and bland as all the other Killzone games then what is the point? I want fun games. There are games which don't look spectacular but are extremely fun (NAtURAL DOCtRINE, EDF) and then there are games which look great but are no fun to play. There are still dozens of great games on PS3/4 that I haven't played that I want to and if it would be all available from one place that would be very convenient, as opposed to juggling cables all the time when I want to play a PS3 game.
If you thought the Killzone games were bland, I don't think 4k 60fps or BC changes that.....Like anything else, you play what you want to play, you play what you like or what resonates......That's why there are several games at any typical launch, so persons can choose....If you don;t want to play the new Killzone, then I'm sure there will be many other new gen titles that will blow yours socks up graphics wise and are also fun.....

It's as simple as this, I won't buy a PS5 for BC, I'll buy a PS5 to experience new gen games on day 1, BC is only a bonus of which I will utilize if done right, but it's hardly the reason why I will spend $500.00 in 2020....If the PS5 had no BC, it would not be a problem for me to keep my PS4 plugged in to play PS4 games....

But people buy new systems to play new games, right? Nobody cares about backwards compatibility, I was told.

There is a big difference between being a great added value and being the main reason to buy.

Besides, with the rise of online gaming and digital downloads BC is mandatory. Standards have changed and every company has to adopt them if they don't want to be left behind. Sony cannot make their service grow without BC, that would be crazy.

Ps4 is a given for backwards compatible I think if they did not they'd be shitting the bed.

Now we need it to be backwards with ALL gens just imagine how insane PSNOW could be with all those games downloadable..

Please, I'm sure the PS5 has the power to emulate a PS3.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

If you thought the Killzone games were bland, I don't think 4k 60fps or BC changes that.....Like anything else, you play what you want to play, you play what you like or what resonates......That's why there are several games at any typical launch, so persons can choose....If you don;t want to play the new Killzone, then I'm sure there will be many other new gen titles that will blow yours socks up graphics wise and are also fun.....

It's as simple as this, I won't buy a PS5 for BC, I'll buy a PS5 to experience new gen games on day 1, BC is only a bonus of which I will utilize if done right, but it's hardly the reason why I will spend $500.00 in 2020....If the PS5 had no BC, it would not be a problem for me to keep my PS4 plugged in to play PS4 games....
graphic's haven't impressed me since the jump from PS2 to PS3. It is just higher res and some added effects. I don't expect anything on PS5 to blow me away graphics wise.

PSFan

Sure I would too but I wouldn’t count on anything other than PS4 being compatible with the PS5. Everything else will probably require PSNow or digital purchase I bet.

I'd settle for being able to play my PS4, PS2 and PS1 discs. Fuck PSNow. Leave that for PS3 games.

Ozrimandias

1.- I Believe in Cerny (#believeincerny)
2.-
If they can make even PS3 backwards compatible then that would be awesome but I don't hold my breath. PS4 is the absolute minimum I am willing to accept..
This plus, my digital PS2 and PSone Classics, if it is backwards compatible with those, i will buy a PS5 day one, even a PRO if it is available at launch.

3.- Dont care Crossplay, only worried about backward capability
4.- One of the best way to keep your long term costumers happy, is that they dont need to migrate to another hardware, all of the games buyed in the past can be played in the new console.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wait, didn't Sony fans all cry about how backwards compatibility is a joke and nobody needs it...? Now they are making a big buzz for doing what everybody has been doing for years, and the last word has a boner, even though he himself said it was pointless...??

What the hell am I reading?

llien

This kind of beyond obvious crap should not be patent-able.
Apparently USPO is not the only PO that sucks.

Journey

Banned
There is a big difference between being a great added value and being the main reason to buy.

Besides, with the rise of online gaming and digital downloads BC is mandatory. Standards have changed and every company has to adopt them if they don't want to be left behind. Sony cannot make their service grow without BC, that would be crazy.

Did anyone claim BC was the main reason to buy anything?

Wonko_C

The "spoofing" the old CPU ID thing makes it sound like it's going to be like how the Pro runs unpatched PS4 games: No enhanced resolution for BC games, they'll just run like on the previous gen consoles.

Last edited:

Sparda

Banned
Wait, didn't Sony fans all cry about how backwards compatibility is a joke and nobody needs it...? Now they are making a big buzz for doing what everybody has been doing for years, and the last word has a boner, even though he himself said it was pointless...??

What the hell am I reading?
Microsoft doesn't have a break.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
invented by mark cerny...yeah...sure...ok

all they gotta do is build a "PS4 Super Pro" and name it PS5. There's your backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

Verdanth

it returns a spoofed CPU ID basically allowing the processor to impersonate the one used in the older device for backward compatibility purposes.

It almost sounds like Cell absorbing the Androids.

latest

pr0cs

Hard to get too excited yet, but at least Sony is actually not going to orphan my digital purchases next gen. It was REALLY hard to forgive them and in all honesty most of my third party digital purchases this gen were on Xbox.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
as fucked as ps3 was it makes sense that ps4 is easier to port to ps5

Shin

Banned
The "spoofing" the old CPU ID thing makes it sound like it's going to be like the pro: No enhanced resolution for BC games, they'll just run like on the previous gen consoles.
Old games don't make money, they'll probably do the minimum and people will accept it.

sublimit

Banned
PS4 compatibility is a given but make the PS5 compatible with PS1/PS2/PS3 discs while also enhancing them and then we will talk.

Fbh

I understand nothing of the subject but I remember when the Ps4 specs were announced people said it should make future console being backwards compatible easier so this is cool I guess. At least for me Ps4 BC is mandatory to even consider buying a Ps5 early on. Them going all out and making it fully compatible with Ps1-Ps4 would be amazing (though I seriously doubt it as they want to push PsNow)

Whatever it ends up being I really hope its similar to what MS is doing it. Not just emulating the game as it was but actually enhancing it with the new hardware

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I think everyone expects the PS5 to at least offer PS4 BC.

Sony had full PS1 BC in the PS2, full PS2/PS1 BC in the launch PS3. The vita played digital psp games. The PS3 hardware gave a legitimate excuse for no BC on the PS4, and they offered PS Now for that.

Digital purchases have exploded this generation and it would be dumb to wipe that away. Sony needs to do a better job of offering PS1 and PS2 games too. The PS1 classic was a fucking failure, let me buy the games on PSN.

Javthusiast

Banned
Cerny really wants Knack and Knack 2 to be playable on ps5. The rest of older games will just be a bonus, that he doesn't really care about. Knack is where it's at boiz.

FranXico

It's fine that Sony actually did research on BC, but I want them to actually deliver it on the PS5.
Also, isn't what is discussed in the patent kind of a fundamental requirement for this? How is it patentable?

SaucyJack

BC is at its most useful at the point of transition into a new generation when nextgen games are few and far between. Xbox BC is a cool feature, but it came too late to be a big deal for this gen.

I’m assuming that PS5 and Xbox2 (?) will have BC out the gate.

The extent of one's investment in digital libraries also influences how attractive the feature is.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I dunno sounds like a pretty straightforward 'If Statement'...surprised you could even patent that

I'm more interested in how they are going to get Zen CPU to impersonate a Jag CPU...that seems like it would be the tricky part...

Top Bottom