• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

Kenpachii

I love new tech simply can't wait to see what these new consoles will be capable of.

Next gen is going to be the most boring gen ever for consoles.

Every game you can think off could already be done on current gen consoles at reduced graphics that is of course. We are going to be more and more limited by vision and idea's rather then hardware to hold us back.

Sadly creative input is the limitation we got currently going already.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Every game you can think off could already be done on current gen consoles at reduced graphics that is of course. We are going to be more and more limited by vision and idea's rather then hardware to hold us back.

People said the exact same thing about the move from PS3 to PS4.

PocoJoe

Banned
Well from ps3 -> ps4 resolution bumb alone made a difference.

Now this 4k nonsense is just wasting recources without noticeable gains vs 1080p.

For 4k to shine user needs either huge +70" tv and/or sit close(less than 2m) and average consumer does neither.

If they would still focus on 1080p, they could spend recources to more details/popup/a.i. and other stuff that would make a difference.

Now it could be just ps4 pro games with 4k and few minor improvements on worst case.

And consumers are so stupid that they need to see "bigger" numbers like 4K to buy new stuff, even if they would not see the difference. So what can sony/ms do?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It should be the opposite as more and more creators will be able to do decent quality graphics work, better graphics technically than PS3 and some PS4 games, but with a fraction of the time and knowledge spent optimising. Focus more on creativity than technholding you back is good :).

Azurro

Banned

Now this 4k nonsense is just wasting recources without noticeable gains vs 1080p.

For 4k to shine user needs either huge +70" tv and/or sit close(less than 2m) and average consumer does neither.

If they would still focus on 1080p, they could spend recources to more details/popup/a.i. and other stuff that would make a difference.

Now it could be just ps4 pro games with 4k and few minor improvements on worst case.

And consumers are so stupid that they need to see "bigger" numbers like 4K to buy new stuff, even if they would not see the difference. So what can sony/ms do?

Yeah, no, that's not true in the very least. I have a 55" 4K TV and the difference between 1080p and 1440p and 4K CB is huge, I got the PS4 Pro at launch, and the moment I saw a game in higher resolution, it became painful to put in 1080p games in it. The pixels are huge in 1080p and my TV is not even exceptionally big.

Toe-Knee

No way. Last gen looks so ugly compared to what we have now.

But they're mostly the same games. Nothing has really changed beyond visuals in 90 % of cases.

I'm hoping for a massive ai overhaul next gen which probably won't own because it would make games harder in general which reduces the appeal to the masses.

Three

Are there any actual measured values for input lag on a 120hz monitor running at 60fps or 30fps? If a game is VSynced then I can see some theoretical millisecond savings but from what I've seen so far empirically input lag has been increasing with new gen xbox games.

onQ123

Will devs have to make any other adjustments to their games to make this work? If not, then I'm okay with it. I just want my PS5 games to be made with the actual PS5 in mind. Not to "scale" with a render farm of PCs in a warehouse.

I would hope that something like that would be handled at the system level & not up to each dev.

120hz is a waste of resources for consoles, even if it offered the option no games would target it besides some simple indies

VR games

joe_zazen

Congratulations, Sony. Although, they had it easier this gen, IMHO. Microsoft were Sony's best advertiser.

Personally speaking, I have been disappointed with Sony this gen. They started very strong and seemed to had the right policies in place. But their overall terrible build quality, how they've treated indies and their (for me!) weak first-party lineup just makes me hope that Microsoft will get back into the ring as a real competitor. Pressure is good.

But I know that this is an unpopular opinion around here, so let me end on something positive: I like that Sony have shown that consoles can still be viable to develop for (Remember, some third-parties were unsure about this generation of consoles).

There has been a big change in management. I cannot remember the last bit of good PR Sony has had not involving sales and profit. They look to be cutting corners as well, with the axing of the fan expo, closing studios, and not buying new ones, killing portable. And Sony HQ is different too, having slashing most of their hardware (computers, AV, etc), getting rid of the retail Sony stores and now focus on insurance, entertainment etc.

I suppose they might be saving all this money because they know next gen will be a battle, and have some fantastic plans, but I get the feeling that playstation, like the movie division, is run by American moneymen without vision or balls. So I expect a product that has the least amount of cost they think they can get aay with, and the same 10-12 critic bait exclusives we got this gen.

The Sony I liked was Japanese, had a big range of high quality products, pushed tech forward with 2nd to none engineering talent, and had stores in malls. Time marches on though.

Then I look at the competion. Nintendo penny pinches like Sony, but they do take risks and are still 100% run by Japan. Microsoft is as American as a corporation can get, so I cant get too excited about their stuff. But they have been spending money and trying abunch of different things, so they very well might be the best choice next generation.

Still, the original brilliant PS4 Cerney roadmap (dev and gamer console 2013->pro2016-ps52019) means Sony will most likely be launching one year ahead of MS. This could cement the next gen as the year headstart is hard to counteract...wildcard being xcloud.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

There has been a big change in management. I cannot remember the last bit of good PR Sony has had not involving sales and profit. They look to be cutting corners as well, with the axing of the fan expo, closing studios, and not buying new ones, killing portable. And Sony HQ is different too, having slashing most of their hardware (computers, AV, etc), getting rid of the retail Sony stores and now focus on insurance, entertainment etc.

I suppose they might be saving all this money because they know next gen will be a battle, and have some fantastic plans, but I get the feeling that playstation, like the movie division, is run by American moneymen without vision or balls. So I expect a product that has the least amount of cost they think they can get aay with, and the same 10-12 critic bait exclusives we got this gen.

The Sony I liked was Japanese, had a big range of high quality products, pushed tech forward with 2nd to none engineering talent, and had stores in malls. Time marches on though.

Then I look at the competion. Nintendo penny pinches like Sony, but they do take risks and are still 100% run by Japan. Microsoft is as American as a corporation can get, so I cant get too excited about their stuff. But they have been spending money and trying abunch of different things, so they very well might be the best choice next generation.

Still, the original brilliant PS4 Cerney roadmap (dev and gamer console 2013->pro2016-ps52019) means Sony will most likely be launching one year ahead of MS. This could cement the next gen as the year headstart is hard to counteract...wildcard being xcloud.
Haha that's a complete stretch. There is no change. Kaz Hirai has been in charge of Sony before the PS4. Shawn Layden was appointed SCEA head at the beginning of PS4's life. The closure of only TWO UK studios was because Evolution completely screwed up Driveclub online, and Cambridge was axed as a part of a restructuring. Even after losing two studios, they were still double the amount of studios Microsoft has.

Lol focusing on insurance... what a joke. They focused on games and blew the competition out of the water.

joe_zazen

It's not my concern but basically anyone who uses a PS4 in Japan publically outcried that they were going to be moving to Nintendo because of this.

Xbox could take this chance to capitalize on that, but that's up to them. Get your pedo bullshit out of here. If they censor anime games, then they don't can easily just censor anything else on the platform.

Naw, it is the fact that they cant use Japanese to communicate with a Japanese company, that makes people angry. Censorship is a tradition in Japan.

Its interesting because I have had a lot of my gaming friends tell me they don't see much of a difference between 1080p and 4k either.

But even with my older eyes (I am 50+ years old) I have no problem picking out 4k especially vs 1080p to me the difference is night and day.

My TV provider comes in over Fiber and has 4 channels broadcasting in Native 4k HDR and to me when one of those channels are on our 65" OLED it is about as pretty of a picture as you can get.

Even my wife on the other hand kind of shrugs her shoulders and says yeah I guess its better.

Its just interesting to me how people see things so differently and by no means am I saying you're off base here.

Toe-Knee

Its interesting because I have had a lot of my gaming friends tell me they don't see much of a difference between 1080p and 4k either.

But even with my older eyes (I am 50+ years old) I have no problem picking out 4k especially vs 1080p to me the difference is night and day.

My TV provider comes in over Fiber and has 4 channels broadcasting in Native 4k HDR and to me when one of those channels are on our 65" OLED it is about as pretty of a picture as you can get.

Even my wife on the other hand kind of shrugs her shoulders and says yeah I guess its better.

Its just interesting to me how people see things so differently and by no means am I saying you're off base here.

I know many people who can't see a difference between them.

Heck my wife doesn't see any difference between sd channels and 4k ones and she has near perfect vision according to the optician.

joe_zazen

Haha that's a complete stretch. There is no change. Kaz Hirai has been in charge of Sony before the PS4. Shawn Layden was appointed SCEA head at the beginning of PS4's life. The closure of only TWO UK studios was because Evolution completely screwed up Driveclub online, and Cambridge was axed as a part of a restructuring. Even after losing two studios, they were still double the amount of studios Microsoft has.

Lol focusing on insurance... what a joke. They focused on games and blew the competition out of the water.

Kaz is not Sony ceo anymore, and SIE is, for all intents and purposes, an American company, based in California, owned by Sony and founded founded in 2016. And they handle EVERYTHING playstation. Sony Computer Entertainment (killed in 2016) was a Tokyo based subsidiary of Sony founded in 1993. And Layden was the guy who restructured SCE into the american SIE, and yes that took a couple of years.

Tldr; Playstation is 99% American now, and Sony itself is no longer a harware first company, so 2018 playstion management is quite different than 2013.

joe_zazen

Heck my wife doesn't see any difference between sd channels and 4k ones and she has near perfect vision according to the optician.

They dont notice a difference, it is not that they can’t see one. It is a subtle difference, but one that would prevent a lot of misunderstandings between the enthusiasts and the normals.

Last edited:

onQ123

More like she don't care lol if she can't see a difference between SD & 4K there is something wrong with her eyes.

Mozza

Why even post? Both of you?

Why not?,I have no issues with the PS4 it's a great console,all I was saying was the console has taken a bigger slice of the pie this time round,if people on here somehow believe it has carved it's own market then that's up to them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why not?,I have no issues with the PS4 it's a great console,all I was saying was the console has taken a bigger slice of the pie this time round,if people on here somehow believe it has carved it's own market then that's up to them.

They did what they have done their first 2 gens, and learned from their early hiccups the gen prior.

And this does not read the same as your prior sentence I quoted.

Mozza

They did what they have done their first 2 gens, and learned from their early hiccups the gen prior.

And this does not read the same as your prior sentence I quoted.

So you never read "The console is doing an awesome job" part then?

onQ123

But Xbox One is selling just as good as Xbox 360 sold after 5 years they both was at around 40 million sold so if PS4 success was due biting into anyone's pie it would be Nintendo & not Microsoft.

Mozza

First of all I know how to read, second the first post reads like a backhanded complement. Awesome job... but...

Your next post you fleshed out more.

Fair enough,my initial post was never intended as a backhanded compliment although in hindsight it could look that way.

WaterAstro

Kaz is not Sony ceo anymore, and SIE is, for all intents and purposes, an American company, based in California, owned by Sony and founded founded in 2016. And they handle EVERYTHING playstation. Sony Computer Entertainment (killed in 2016) was a Tokyo based subsidiary of Sony founded in 1993. And Layden was the guy who restructured SCE into the american SIE, and yes that took a couple of years.

Tldr; Playstation is 99% American now, and Sony itself is no longer a harware first company, so 2018 playstion management is quite different than 2013.
He became chairman not long ago which proves my point. You're talking about the time Kaz Hirai took charge.
Yes, PS management change because 2013 is when they switched Tretton to Layden, and that's when PS4 came out.

I'm not sure what you're even talking about anymore because everything that happened when PS4 came out was good since PS4 sold bonkers and have tons of highly acclaimed exclusives.

onQ123

Xbox 360 was on the market for 8 years before Xbox One was released & the life was extended by Kinect at the 5 year mark so Xbox One matching Xbox 360 depends on what happens in the next 3 years . PS4 on the other hand has already reached PS3 lifetime sells in just under 5 years .

Xbox 360 was on the market for 8 years before Xbox One was released & the life was extended by Kinect at the 5 year mark so Xbox One matching Xbox 360 depends on what happens in the next 3 years . PS4 on the other hand has already reached PS3 lifetime sells in just under 5 years .

Xbone fell behind X360 globally launch aligned since 2017. This year is the when Xbone will fall behind X360 in US too. Probably from November.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbone fell behind X360 globally launch aligned since 2017. This year is the when Xbone will fall behind X360 in US too. Probably from November.

And yet they reversed their blunder, added fantastic features to their ecosystem, and this is still happening it seems. So there is much more than just, "2013 reveal tho".

onQ123

My point is that PS4 success isn't due to Xbox One's start because Xbox One started off better than Xbox 360 & the 1st 5 years was pretty close but this is around the time that Xbox 360 life was extended by Kinect so things might change a lot in the next 3 years if MS don't come with something to keep the sales up.

Yes because it's not reliable, it's an estimate and uh...

Xbox 360 announced 80 million a bit later and Sony announced 80 million some time after that. So it also contradicts official numbers.

The last official numbers we got were 84 million for the 360 in summer 2014.

No data base has even changed their historical numbers yet because there's no reliable source.

IMO Sony can thank Don Mattrick's for such success. Hell, they probably already sent him a bonus check.

Last edited:
Congrats Sony for dominating this gen. PS4 should blow by 100 million easily next year.

I think they'll win next gen too, albeit by a smaller margin.

And yet they reversed their blunder, added fantastic features to their ecosystem, and this is still happening it seems. So there is much more than just, "2013 reveal tho".
I know this is anecdotal info, but my friend bought a PS4 just last year, and when I asked him why he didn't buy an xbox instead, he said that he thought that it didn't play used games.

I honestly think the "xbox one" name still leaves a sour taste in people's mouths (and for good reason too), so I think they can only back up to speed once they drop that branding like it's some plague.

onQ123

IMO Sony can thank Don Mattrick's for such success. Hell, they probably already sent him a bonus check.

Or they can thank themselves & the fans who bought the PS4 just like they bought PS1 , PS2 & PS3 . Y'all keep trying to credit MS for PS4 success but all the facts point to Xbox One doing better in the 1st few years than any other Xbox , PS4 just done better.

thelastword

Banned
360 only got so high because of RROD, people kept buying replacements...Some people swore off LIVE...There are individuals who went through 8-13 XB360 units to keep playing with their friends and as was said often that gen, (the controller)......MS had to spend upwards of 1.15 billion dollars because of RROD.... If you really want to know 360's active installbase last gen, it was really in the 40 mil range or much less.....A 54.2% failure rate only ever happened that generation, that never happened before...

So yes, some people put too much stock into 360's padded numbers to indicate massive success......If 360 was so hot, PS3 would never catch up to them and that system came a whole year later with worse multiplats...

So all the persons who looked at padded 360 figures to speak of the succes MS would have this gen from 2013, just didn't look at the whole picture....MS is not only massively behind because of DRM, they just don't have the brand-awareness worldwide, they did'nt have the headstart, they don't have the big AAA SP games or the diversity in their library....As can be seen, the 1 year headstart didn't help them outdo a $600.00 system.....Had it not been for RROD, MS would never have shipped so many 360's, alot of that was; replacements, replacements, replacements...

https://consumerist.com/2009/08/17/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds/

As for PS4, I expect Sony to sell at least 10-11 million units into retail this quarter.....

demigod

360 only got so high because of RROD, people kept buying replacements...Some people swore off LIVE...There are individuals who went through 8-13 XB360 units to keep playing with their friends and as was said often that gen, (the controller)......MS had to spend upwards of 1.15 billion dollars because of RROD.... If you really want to know 360's active installbase last gen, it was really in the 40 mil range or much less.....A 54.2% failure rate only ever happened that generation, that never happened before...

So yes, some people put too much stock into 360's padded numbers to indicate massive success......If 360 was so hot, PS3 would never catch up to them and that system came a whole year later with worse multiplats...

So all the persons who looked at padded 360 figures to speak of the succes MS would have this gen from 2013, just didn't look at the whole picture....MS is not only massively behind because of DRM, they just don't have the brand-awareness worldwide, they did'nt have the headstart, they don't have the big AAA SP games or the diversity in their library....As can be seen, the 1 year headstart didn't help them outdo a $600.00 system.....Had it not been for RROD, MS would never have shipped so many 360's, alot of that was; replacements, replacements, replacements...

https://consumerist.com/2009/08/17/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds/

As for PS4, I expect Sony to sell at least 10-11 million units into retail this quarter.....

Im bet anyone who owned a 360 got a 2nd one. Luckily i bought mine at costco and got a refund but I stupidly got another one at the time, should’ve just kept the money. Im pretty sure it counted as a sale still.

Or they can thank themselves & the fans who bought the PS4 just like they bought PS1 , PS2 & PS3 . Y'all keep trying to credit MS for PS4 success but all the facts point to Xbox One doing better in the 1st few years than any other Xbox , PS4 just done better.

It was a joke man, i should of put a sarcastic face, my fault. Obvioulsy Sony has had much success themselves even before MS hit the scene, i mean, PS2 sold 155 Million to the OG Xbox's 24 Mil, thats insane! PS3 was pure GARBAGE and still sold over 80 Mil, only losing in the end by about a million to the 360 (i believe official numbers show 360 at 84 Mil sold, PS3 at 83 Mil). If anything, Don Mattrick's cost MS sales, but don't think for a minute that Sony wasn't grinning from ear to ear when MS shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

Very skewed article originally from Game Informer. Rhetoric like "And while the 360’s rate is alarmingly higher than the others, it’s still bafflingly low because it blows the mind to imagine that 45.8 percent of the consoles have not broken." shows the article and survey are displaying biased. Unless I'm mistaken, consoles that are sent from MS directly to customers for warranty replacement wouldn't be counted in retail sales numbers. According to a Squaretrade article, which I would trust above all due to it's their business to know this, that "SquareTrade found that over half of our customers who experienced a RROD error reported their
problem directly to Microsoft without contacting SquareTrade". SquareTrade has the percentage of fail rates at 23.7%, less than half of the nonsense article you posted. It doesn't matter anyways. If consoles were sold, they were sold. Period. You don't want to start down this slippery slope of hardware failures shouldn't be counted because that puts the PS2 numbers under very questionable circumstance due to the extremely large amounts of disc drive failures.

You need to face facts. Xbox 360 was 2nd place of consoles last gen as last officially reported and anything else is a guesstimate, hopes and wishes.

Link connects to original Squaretrade pdf.

https://n4g.com/news/401374/game-console-failure-rates

TLZ

Banned
Im bet anyone who owned a 360 got a 2nd one. Luckily i bought mine at costco and got a refund but I stupidly got another one at the time, should’ve just kept the money. Im pretty sure it counted as a sale still.
Yeah mine RROD'd about 13 months in and got a new one. Everyone I knew had one changed 3-4 of them. Those early ones were horrible. I still got the slim one, I think it's the S version, and it's going strong.

Last edited:

camelCase

Woot playstation killing it. Unfortunately sony has let this go to their heads, maybe some new titan will help remove them from their comfy throne and kick their asses back into gear. Shameful really how they've become so complacent

Top Bottom