• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

^^^ No way Days Gone comes out next October. Every other open world game will be running scared from Red Dead Redemption 2, which will a) sell about 20 million copies and be one of the biggest successes of next year, and b) Sony will probably have the marketing for, so it makes even less sense sending their own new IP to die in its shadow.

I mean, fuck - the end of next year is going to be a slaughterhouse for almost any game which isn't Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and RDR2.

dracula_x

^^^ No way Days Gone comes out next October. Every other open world game will be running scared from Red Dead Redemption 2, which will a) sell about 20 million copies and be one of the biggest successes of next year, and b) Sony will probably have the marketing for, so it makes even less sense sending their own new IP to die in its shadow.

I mean, fuck - the end of next year is going to be a slaughterhouse for almost any game which isn't Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and RDR2.

yep.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233575

Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

+

Studio is about 100 people

GeoramA

Sony's 2017 already looks set. Unless their's a summer surprise, there's no need to bury their games during the crowded ass fall.

viHuGi

Banned

Add Cod.

Kasper

not exactly first-party studio, but still:

UmZPXbI.png

https://twitter.com/FireSpriteGames/status/812967087375269888

I hope they're tackling something a bit more ambitious than Run Sackboy! Run! or The Playroom. I could definitely see it being VR.

Kasper

doubt we can expect something big from them, because they're still a very small studio (~ 10-15 people).

fTVChyI.png

Nahh, not expecting anything big per se, just something more than a demo suite and a lower tier mobile title. Those were nice ways to get the studio up and running, but now I'd like to see something more from them. That's why some sort of VR title seems like the logical next step, as smaller experiences fit well within that space and Sony seems to be craving content.

FelipeMGM

Three new interesting quotes from Japan Studio folk from this 4Gamers interview about their expectations for 2017

Keiichiro Toyama, Creative Director at Sony Interactive Entertainment

Known for: Gravity Rush series
Favorite title of 2016: Inside

“As soon as preparations for the start of a new title begin, it will likely be a busy year again. Outside of that, I will be promoting various this, so please keep an eye out in the future!”

Teruyuki Toriyama, Japan Studio Producer at Sony Interactive Entertainment

Known for: V! No Heroes Allowed R, Bloodborne, Soul Sacrifice sreies
Favorite title of 2016: Final Fantasy XV

“While I can’t say any details yet, we’re also moving forward with the creation of ambitious new titles and new title concepts at the same time, so please continue to support Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio in 2017.”

Masaaki Yamagiwa, Producer at Sony Interactive Entertainment

Known for: Bloodborne, Tokyo Jungle
Favorite title of 2016: Pokemon GO

“Since behind the scenes activities have been ongoing since Bloodborne, I hope this will be a year that bears the fruit of the things we’ve built upon so far.”

Zukkoyaki

Studio Japan is shaping up to be the MVP of Sony's first party developers this generation. The Last Guardian was great, Gravity Rush 2 is looking stellar, Knack 2 has potential, they had a hand in Bloodborne, and they seem to have multiple new projects well underway. I'm hoping for a legit Triple-A JRPG but even if these new projects are small or experimental I'm in.

Studio Japan is shaping up to be the MVP of Sony's first party developers this generation. The Last Guardian was great, Gravity Rush 2 is looking stellar, Knack 2 has potential, they had a hand in Bloodborne, and they seem to have multiple new projects well underway. I'm hoping for a legit Triple-A JRPG but even if these new projects are small or experimental I'm in.
Yep, Sony Japan is my fave.

Masaaki Yamagiwa, Producer at Sony Interactive Entertainment

Known for: Bloodborne, Tokyo Jungle
Favorite title of 2016: Pokemon GO

“Since behind the scenes activities have been ongoing since Bloodborne, I hope this will be a year that bears the fruit of the things we’ve built upon so far.”

my hoonter sense is tingling

PayaV87

On PS4

2013: Knack, The Playroom
2015: Bloodborne
2016: Gravity Rush Remastered, The Last Guardian
2017: Gravity Rush 2, Knack 2, Gravity Rush DLC

I hope some late PS3 games may come to PS4:
Rain, Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle

Or a Team ICO Collection

who's the studio head of Sony Japan ? Yoshida?

Allan Becker, founder of Sony Santa Monica.

On PS4

2016: The Last Guardian, Playroom VR

Or a Team ICO Collection

FTFY. Bluepoint remastered Gravity Rush but Japan Studio did ship Playroom VR this year.

I hope they really do have a FF scale jrpg in development. That along with smaller more experimental games would make them one of the most exciting devs

A real deal Ape Escape game please. No VR, no minigames or any of that. Just a normal platformer.
I'll take a psvr mode. Just don't make it an VR exclusive. Give me a Ratchet and. Clank sized budget for Ape escape, hell use whatever engine they used...Hell just let insomniac do it lol. They could totally pull off an ape escape

FelipeMGM

Japan Studio is on a roll this gen, but I wish they had some smaller collab projects like Tokyo Jungle or RAIN on PS4

But yeah, Allan Becker sure made some impact there after arriving a bit before the end of the PS3 era

Guymelef

On PS4

2016: Gravity Rush Remastered, The Last Guardian

Or a Team ICO Collection

Why people keep forgetting New Everybody's Golf exist?
:(

Japan Studio is on a roll this gen, but I wish they had some smaller collab projects like Tokyo Jungle or RAIN on PS4

But yeah, Allan Becker sure made some impact there after arriving a bit before the end of the PS3 era

tokyo Jungle is sooooo good for such an odd game. Loved it. Yeah, they need more games

Btw, subbed. Everytime this shows up on the front page, I'm like ooo!

Same. Well-organized, informative, and I love the discussion here.
This is probably one of the only threads I've been in that stays on a consistent path. No BS no hyperbole only arguments I can think of are about release dates lol. I love this thread

Sucker Punch's game is 2018 you fools

I hope Verendus didn't lie about the FF-style game.

I hope they really do have a FF scale jrpg in development. That along with smaller more experimental games would make them one of the most exciting devs

At this point I think it's safest to assume the big JRPG isn't happening. It's been a long time since he told us about that, and even at the time he said it was early days and it may yet be cancelled. Plus, that's not a genre Sony has ever really invested in and the heyday of the JRPG has well and truly passed now, so it seems to risky to do a massive mega-budget entry as their first attempt since The Legend of Dragoon (I think) almost two decades ago. Sony seems more interested in third person adventure games these days.

A real deal Ape Escape game please. No VR, no minigames or any of that. Just a normal platformer.

I would bloody love that. Just a reimagining of the first game, like R&C 2016 would be amazing.

Yeah, I'd love some smaller innovative games out of them this gen. If they're going to continue working with genDESIGN their next game should be a little 2 hour downloadable title.

Please have a Bloodborne sequel in the works. I don't need a billion of them, but one more this gen would be fantastic.

I'd be amazed if there's not a Bloodborne sequel. It's one of the highest rated games this generation and has probably sold 2.5 - 3 million copies by now (based on it having done 2 million by PSX last year before the DLC and GotY version were out).

I'd be amazed if there's not a Bloodborne sequel. It's one of the highest rated games this generation and has probably sold 2.5 - 3 million copies by now (based on it having done 2 million by PSX last year before the DLC and GotY version were out).

The only thing that makes me wonder is the fact that Miyazaki said he was done with Souls. My hope is that he doesn't consider Bloodborne "Souls" despite the similarities because Bloodborne has a lovely world, some phenomenal gameplay and bosses, and was just a fantastic experience.

As far as those 4Gamer interviews go, Yoshida said that while 2016 was a great year for PS hardware (Slim, Pro, and VR launching), he'd like for 2017 to be a great year for releasing games that take advantage of that hardware. So, I think next year may be a bit more active than some are expecting from them.

As far as those 4Gamer interviews go, Yoshida said that while 2016 was a great year for PS hardware (Slim, Pro, and VR launching), he'd like for 2017 to be a great year for releasing games that take advantage of that hardware. So, I think next year may be a bit more active than some are expecting from them.
#SPis2017
At this point I think it's safest to assume the big JRPG isn't happening. It's been a long time since he told us about that, and even at the time he said it was early days and it may yet be cancelled. Plus, that's not a genre Sony has ever really invested in and the heyday of the JRPG has well and truly passed now, so it seems to risky to do a massive mega-budget entry as their first attempt since The Legend of Dragoon (I think) almost two decades ago. Sony seems more interested in third person adventure games these days
If it happens it will probably be more in line with FFXV where it's aimed at western audiences in addition to traditional JRPG fans. I get your point though, but I'll never stop believing

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Don't see RDR 2 coming out in less than a year. May 2018 is my guess. Rockstar has never hit their original release date so until it actually happens, im expecting a delay announcement around E3 2017.

As for other IP's, out of them all, I prefer Days Gone. Don't care about Battlefront 2 and have no interest in Destiny. Probably won't happen but Days Gone is number one on my list out of all their first party games and sadly, it probably is 2018 or beyond. Really wish Sony stops showing games that are years away because it's depressing at times. :(

I made a thread about SIE WWS having a new English website, and I figured that it would probably be useful for this thread to look through the website, so here's the link to it again:
http://www.playstation.com/worldwidestudios
Nice. But...

Working exclusively with the PlayStation family of consoles, our studios and partners constantly push the boundaries of innovation to produce some of the platform’s best-loved titles. These include The Last Of Us, God Of War, Uncharted, The Order: 1886, DriveClub, Tearaway, Bloodborne, Gran Turismo and many more besides.

Top Bottom