• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Thing is...

Unless there is a GOOD storyline behind said games, it's actually a bit of a waste to play Helghast because ultimately you'd end up playing the same game, but shooting boringly designed enemies instead of cool red-eyed Helghast designs.

I always felt that if you'd play as Helghast, it'd be better served as a Gears-style TPS game with a team dynamic so that you get to see yourself controlling the Helghast characters from a TPS camera and have a team to build character development in better way.

I've never been a huge stickler for GG's lack of tackling the Helgast storyline from their perspective cause their stories have never been good enough for me to wish I was seeing the enemy perspective. They need to improve that first.

I've thought for years that they've set themselves up perfectly to make a game about a Helghan squad that's been given the mission to hunt down Rico, who the ISA have hidden away somewhere. I mean seriously, Guerrilla built Rico up over the course of three games, murdered Visari in cold blood and inadvertently committed mass genocide and you're not going to fucking do anything with him? Come on.

I'm guessing you meant 2016 announced less than 2015. So a few things:

1) A ton of new games were announced this year, at both E3 and PSX.
2) A ton of indie games have released on the PS4 this year.
3) Two specific indie games with a lot of fanfare, The Witness and Firewatch, did wonderfully.
4) A ton is scheduled for next year already.

I'm not sure what you're looking at.

By "indie games", I think he's talking about Sony's small first party games like Bound, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers and so on. I don't know why he's calling them indie, they're not indie at all if a major publisher is funding them and they were also never really announced at E3 either, they tended to appear at GC/PGW or PSX.

Sony have ditched the small games SSM was producing (Wattam, Edith Finch and Modern Zombie Taxi) but I don't think it's accurate to say Sony as a whole has given up on the idea just yet. It would be pretty disappointing to me if they did though, as I've loved their small games like Journey, Rapture, Helldivers, Hohokum, Resogun and Bound over the years.

To me, what I would like to see out of an FPS from Sony would either be:

1. A new FPS IP
2. Killzone reboot to something that invokes the imagery and tone of Jinroh.

I didn't mind Shadowfall, but I'm feeling that sci-fi escalation for the Killzone franchise isn't the right path for it.
A new IP would have some heavy competition now though. That FPS slot is a hole in Sony's otherwise diverse lineup but I don't know if it is something they really need to heavily invest in.

By "indie games", I think he's talking about Sony's small first party games like Bound, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers and so on. I don't know why he's calling them indie, they're not indie at all if a major publisher is funding them and they were also never really announced at E3 either, they tended to appear at GC/PGW or PSX.

Sony have ditched the small games SSM was producing (Wattam, Edith Finch and Modern Zombie Taxi) but I don't think it's accurate to say Sony as a whole has given up on the idea just yet. It would be pretty disappointing to me if they did though, as I've loved their small games like Journey, Rapture, Helldivers, Hohokum, Resogun and Bound over the years.

Ah, you may be right about the indie thing. However, Sony's still publishing Wattam according to the PS Store. And they still have Drawn to Death, Wild and Matterfall, plus you had Alienation, Bound, Shadow of the Beast, Hardware: Rivals, Kill Strain and The Tomorrow Children this year. I don't see any lack of interest on their part.

Ah, you may be right about the indie thing. However, Sony's still publishing Wattam according to the PS Store. And they still have Drawn to Death, Wild and Matterfall, plus you had Alienation, Bound, Shadow of the Beast, Hardware: Rivals, Kill Strain and The Tomorrow Children this year. I don't see any lack of interest on their part.
yup, remember it's like 1000 Indy releases before the next Minecraft, scratch that, Minecraft is too big. Before the next Firewatch or Bastion.

I don't see any Wattam listing on the PS Store but seeing as Sony no longer owns the Wattam trademark, I doubt they have much to do with it any more.

Sony did release a lot of small games this year and have a few still lined up but the concern is we've gone from what seemed like a dozen upcoming small first party games to like three or four. It might just be that they want to announce them closer to release or some other reason but I think it's a valid concern.

Turkoop

Banned
okay, now we know they are not working on Infamous, maybe this artwork is from their newest project?

ioan-dumitrescu-final9.jpg

I don't see any Wattam listing on the PS Store but seeing as Sony no longer owns the Wattam trademark, I doubt they have much to do with it any more.

Sony did release a lot of small games this year and have a few still lined up but the concern is we've gone from what seemed like a dozen upcoming small first party games to like three or four. It might just be that they want to announce them closer to release or some other reason but I think it's a valid concern.

Sorry, the Playstation site:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/wattam-ps4/

"Publisher: SCEA"

I think we have plenty of multiplayer shooters. Sony's first party should be making unique games that wouldnt be approved by third party publishers.

All I wanna know now is when will be Horizon's next big marketing push before launch.

Normally around one month before launch is when we get the last extended gameplay trailer and stuff like "we've played 10 hours of game" previews.

schaft0620

All I wanna know now is when will be Horizon's next big marketing push before launch.

Normally around one month before launch is when we get the last extended gameplay trailer and stuff like "we've played 10 hours of game" previews.

Remember the Order 1886 Super Bowl ad?

They had their significant delay anyway. The reasons given gave them enough time to get it out on the date they set as well
Mhm, the pushed up released date boosted my confidence. You can never be completely sure though. UC4 was basically gold and still got delayed, after all. A special case, surely, but still.

In Shinobi I trust.
After PSX, my faith is unshakable.

You know it!

wapplew

After the marketing push of Gravity rush 2...

After playing Until Dawn recently, I feel that Sony really fucked up by not courting Supermassive games to make UD 2.

Obviously I'm still stoked to see their next big title though.

Man if they make another Killzone it is going to melt eyes. Shadow Fall is still one of the best looking games this gen and that was a launch title.

Zukkoyaki

I dunno if this has a meaning but the official PlayStation Germany made a poll about our most anticipiated game of 2017 - and GoW is available to vote.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationDE/status/814426930913148928

Except of this, I am also expecting GoW to launch next year.
I'm not optimistic about GOW in 2017 but I would LOVE to be wrong. Pound for pound it's probably my favorite Sony franchise.

I'm ready for Santa Monica to recapture its glory from around 2010-2012 when they released GOW 3 and their ex-dev group helped with Fat Princess, Journey and Unfinished Swan. Everyone usually points to Naughty Dog has the true darling of Sony's studios, especially last generation, but Santa Monica was a force as well.

The fast few years have been sort of down for them with Ascension being disappointing, their big new IP getting canned, a few layoffs, ex-dev projects getting delayed/dropped and such. Here's hoping the new GOW is a return to something special.

I'm hopeful for games like Horizon, Nioh, God of War, etc delivering so that I don't have to see so much "concern" about studios, their track record and the inability of people to have empathy and think that maybe... in the span of X years, people could improve or develop their skills/talents further to make up for weaknesses exhibited from lesser products.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Despite this page, Sony does not own that trademark anymore, Funomena does. Its clear that they dropped but never said anything. Robin Hunicke confirmed that it will come out on multipe platforms too. My guess is that will be published by Annapurnna Interactive, the same people who are publishing 'Edith Finch
Yeah, considering the Annapurna press release said they were working with Keita Takahashi, it's pretty obvious they have Wattam now. The Sony store page has simply been ignored since it was originally created.

I'm hopeful for games like Horizon, Nioh, God of War, etc delivering so that I don't have to see so much "concern" about studios, their track record and the inability of people to have empathy and think that maybe... in the span of X years, people could improve or develop their skills/talents further to make up for weaknesses exhibited from lesser products.
Well said

Mark Healey hinted last year that Dreams coming out in 2017 would be a good timing for it, but last year they also thought they could release the Dreams beta this year, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Yup that's why I don't think it'll make next year. I mean I get it, seems really ambitious and different and im all for different so take ya time but next year really needs to be info dump time if nothing else

Top Bottom