• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakfuss

Uncharted and TLoU don't feel anything like each other in terms of aiming. In fact, UC2 and 3 barely feel anything like one another.

Okay. But surely I can think two things are bad for different reasons. Although I do think the so-called difference is being exaggerated here. All I know is that I never felt completely comfortable with aiming in either game. At least not like I have with other TPSs.

Then this game is propably just not for you. I don't think that there will be any shortage of multiplayer shooters in the future so I'm just glad to get games like these that devote themselves to a (hopefully) good single player campaigns. Although, I do think that this game would have benefitted from a co-op option.
I'm still buying it. I like Uncharted, it feels more like an adventure game than a shooter. I'll see how this feels. I was just saying it would have been nice to have a multiplayer mode.

charsace

The graphics look great and the game looks like it can be fun. The problem for me is that it looks like GOW right down to the pacing and cover game play. GOW could get hectic when they threw enough enemies at you shooting things from all over, but you didn't really move a lot even in those situations and still used mostly cover. With the order I was expecting something more along the lines of MP3 where movement and fast game play is the focus and cover serves as a pit stop to recover and dive back in.

The first Order trailer had werewolves. After this trailer where character movement speed is reminiscent of GOW I wonder how fast something like the werewolves will be and how agile their move set will be. I expected them to be quick and just bouncing off the walls when they showed werewolves in the first trailer. The GOW pace that was shown in the game play doesn't look like it can properly support something like that. Games like GOW and Uncharted build the movement around being in cover so when you're out of cover in a fire fight it usually isn't a good thing. The Order looks like that type of game from the bit sized piece of game play.

The reveal trailer showed the Knights taking on a lot of werewolves. Right now I'm wondering if you will take on groups of 3--7 werewolves at any time and that would mean they are easy to take down. Or maybe battles with werewolves won't be anything like the trailer and in game they will be strong so you only take one at a time and the whole team will have to plan to even have a chance against it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Isn't there supposed to be crime solving elements to this game also?
Yeah but it's not much of a mystery. The only crime here is being committed by Ready At Dawn against video game players for making a third person cover based shooter.

Endo Punk

Ready at Dawn have to prove they know how to make a good shooter, but this little teaser sure doesn't help their case. Looks like presentation over substance, so far.

This looks like the Ryse of third person shooters, to me.

It's a shame none of their lofty ambitions are coming through in these early previews. I hope it's just build up to better and more exciting footage but as of now the game really does look like it could pull a Ryse. The fact it even has such by the numbers scenes has me worried. I mean, not to compare it to TLOU but that is an example of amazing handled game up until launch, each gameplay footage more exciting than the last. Right now RAD are 2 fo 2 with boring gameplay.

StuBurns

Banned
Okay. But surely I can think two things are bad for different reasons. Although I do think the so-called difference is being exaggerated here. All I know is that I never felt completely comfortable with aiming in either game. At least not like I have with other TPSs.
You certainly can.

I really like the aiming in TLoU, it's tense, and difficult, but it's also hard hitting enough that people don't really survive being shot, or they're affected to the point putting them down with melee is a non-issue.

I think there is a big difference between Uncharted and TLoU in that regard. Uncharted wanted you to be able to aim perfectly, like Vanquish, TLoU wants you to be scared of firing and panicked. Steady aim is a stat you can upgrade in TLoU, but it still never gets to the point it's anything like a normal shooter.

At the end of the video one of the guys says to find a way out of there. That gives me hope for the exploration side...assuming the way out isn't just opening a door behind them. lol

I may be way off base, but I've been given the impression that there's going to be a detective side to the game as well. Perhaps that's me inferring too much from previous screenshots, but it'd be ace if I was right. There's some variety straight away.

As for the AI criticisms made by other posters, I absolutely see that point, but I have to imagine that the werewolves will be a different kettle of fish. Moreover, we don't know what difficulty this is being played at, etc.

I think the wider issue here is that Sony is doing a terrible job at promoting these games right now. It said far too little about inFAMOUS prior to release, and there were plenty of threads with people panicking about that game before it turned out alright. Similarly, it took about five videos to get people hyped about DriveClub, because it kept picking the wrong clips, or posting them to poor sources. And now we're seeing the same thing with The Order.

Sony's done a brilliant job so far this generation, but it's handling its first-party stuff very poorly in my opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think it has anything to do with system wars. Pretty sure you will find people unimpressed with this sneak peak who were very positive about TLoU's showing. RAD just haven't presented the game well.

RAD hasn't had 8+ minutes to play the game live on stage. If they do and it still shows poorly, I think people can safely write it off.

SDCowboy

I may be way off base, but I've been given the impression that there's going to be a detective side to the game as well. Perhaps that's me inferring too much from previous screenshots, but it'd be ace if I was right. There's some variety straight away.

As for the AI criticisms made by other posters, I absolutely see that point, but I have to imagine that the werewolves will be a different kettle of fish. Moreover, we don't know what difficulty this is being played at, etc.

I think the wider issue here is that Sony is doing a terrible job at promoting these games right now. It said far too little about inFAMOUS prior to release, and there were plenty of threads with people panicking about that game before it turned out alright. Similarly, it took about five videos to get people hyped about DriveClub, because it kept picking the wrong clips, or posting them to poor sources. And now we're seeing the same thing with The Order.

Sony's done a brilliant job so far this generation, but it's handling its first-party stuff very poorly in my opinion.
That's what I was hearing also. I thought there was supposed to be detective work, morse code, some exploration, etc. I too, think they're doing a poor job showing the depth of the game off. We know there is shooting. Show us the other mechanics already. Game still looks amazing to me though.

Are they really gonna be able to pull this off with a team of 100 devs? I think we'll be lucky to see 2 of the above environments fully done up.

I suspect that those are part of the elaborate cutscenes, I think the gameplay will be much more limited in scope.

Just an impression I'm getting, would love to be wrong.

Kinyou

Graphics look amazing, but yeah, so far does the gameplay look very standard. Not that there's really much wrong with that just that people seemed to suggest that it would be more than that.

SDCowboy

Graphics look amazing, but yeah, so far does the gameplay look very standard. Not that there's really much wrong with that just that people seemed to suggest that it would be more than that.

To be fair, the only gameplay we've seen is some of the shooting mechanics (and almost nothing even there). But, that's also their own fault. Hopefully at E3 they show us the rest of what you can do in this game.

RAD hasn't had 8+ minutes to play the game live on stage. If they do and it still shows poorly, I think people can safely write it off.

Pretty much this.

We've seen what amounts to around 2 minutes of gameplay at its most generic form, and arguably at its most boring state as well.

If the game still fails to impress after showcasing the set-piece moments in a proper full-length gameplay blowout, then welp.

StuBurns

Banned
E3 needs to be incredible. It should open the show, begin with an area that's really pretty with people, have them talking, go down some back alley, see things move in the shadow, a chase kicks off leading to an all out insane battle in some open-ish court area with monsters and crazy super guns.

Sony have only been flashing a bit of thigh so far, E3 is time to fuck.

Kinyou

To be fair, the only gameplay we've seen is some of the shooting mechanics (and almost nothing even there). But, that's also their own fault. Hopefully at E3 they show us the rest of what you can do in this game.
I'm surprised that they choose to release these little tidbits and not just some Rockstar style video that explains the game

boeso

Yeah it obvious that he is shooting above and around the enemy to ignite the gas cloud.

The thermite rifle is the flashiest and most devastating of the bunch Ready At Dawn has revealed so far. Pellets packed with strips of aluminum iron oxide are blasted into the environment, which then break open into a cloud of glittery metal paper. A high temperature flare is then shot into the cloud, creating a chemical reaction that turns the cloud into a burning mass of melting metal. This devastating weapon is perfect for punishing enemies hiding behind cover.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...he-weapons-and-gadgets-of-the-order-1886.aspx

386685bc_homer-drool.gif

JawzPause

I really don't know what RAD & Sony were thinking revealing the gameplay in small snippets like this. Really stupid on their part. They should have just left to it a live demo in E3

Skeff

E3 needs to be incredible. It should open the show, begin with an area that's really pretty with people, have them talking, go down some back alley, see things move in the shadow, a chase kicks off leading to an all out insane battle in some open-ish court area with monsters and crazy super guns.

Sony have only been flashing a bit of thigh so far, E3 is time to fuck.

exactly, E3 will make/break this game.

SDCowboy

I'm surprised that they choose to release these little tidbits and not just some Rockstar style video that explains the game

Agreed. Enough of the 2 minute, 'dialogue, walk out, cap some people, fade to black'. Show us some of the crime solving and whatnot. We know there's shooting. lol

I'm surprised that they choose to release these little tidbits and not just some rockstar style video that explains the game.

What I get from these executions is that Sony wants to maintain mindshare about The Order throughout the 1H of the year, but lack the proper content push until E3.

Feb reveal was practically a poorly put-together gameplay reveal that was even more barebones than what GameInformer got to see. Too short, and all it gave was a glimpse of how the game ran, but that was all.

We're looking at another round of press impressions, but Sony apparently just wants to tease stuff without letting slip what they're preparing for their conference.

Sony's been doing it for Hohokum and Helldivers as well, where they're doing piecemeal info-sharings for both games sporadically.

It's not a bad approach, but it's not a good approach if you don't have a wealth of content worth sharing. An overly stingy teaser is infuriating.

The Rockstar GTA5/Sunset Overdrive approach is what Sony should had went with. Complete radio silence until there's something worth sharing, and that thing that is shared is hefty with content.

ocean

Banned
This is the only PS4 game coming out soon that I plan to get on Day 1 (the rest - FFXV, KH3, TLG - are apparently far from release).

This is looking amazing! I don't know where the Gears clone comments come into play. TPS = Gears clone now? That's a tad unfair.

Loudninja

What I get from these executions is that Sony wants to maintain mindshare about The Order throughout the 1H of the year, but lack the proper content push until E3.

Feb reveal was practically a poorly put-together gameplay reveal that was even more barebones than what GameInformer got to see. Too short, and all it gave was a glimpse of how the game ran, but that was all.

We're looking at another round of press impressions, but Sony apparently just wants to tease stuff without letting slip what they're preparing for their conference.

Sony's been doing it for Hohokum and Helldivers as well, where they're doing piecemeal info-sharings for both games sporadically.

It's not a bad approach, but it's not a good approach if you don't have a wealth of content worth sharing. An overly stingy teaser is infuriating.

The Rockstar GTA5/Sunset Overdrive approach is what Sony should had went with. Complete radio silence until there's something worth sharing, and that thing that is shared is hefty with content.
This time it hands on impressions though,we should get some good info.

Sotha_Sil

Are they really gonna be able to pull this off with a team of 100 devs? I think we'll be lucky to see 2 of the above environments fully done up.

If it's over 100 people, then there is a good chance it's larger than Skyrim's development team. A very linear, SP-only game releasing on 1 platform should be fine for RAD's team. RAD also has a very talented team, I'm sure they'll pull off whatever they intend to do with this game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

How does that necessarily help. We've had that with Destiny and people still don't know what it's about.

StuBurns

Banned
How does that necessarily help. We've had that with Destiny and people still don't know what it's about.
Because it was insanely boring.

Yeah, if this game is boring, it won't help, presuming it's not and Sony are just showing really bad bits, E3 is the chance to show us why we should care, beyond it being pretty.

Y2Kev

Seriously? I'm not alleging it "necessarily helps." I'm saying you should give it the same opportunity that other games have had to show you what they were about. If it gets the chance and fails, then it fails. It's not like we owe it anything.

I feel like I know quite a bit about Destiny, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

vpance

I suspect that those are part of the elaborate cutscenes, I think the gameplay will be much more limited in scope.

Just an impression I'm getting, would love to be wrong.

Kind of feeling the same, and I'm slowly reining in my expectations. I think they might have bit off more than they can chew.

If it's over 100 people, then there is a good chance it's larger than Skyrim's development team. A very linear, SP-only game releasing on 1 platform should be fine for RAD's team. RAD also has a very talented team, I'm sure they'll pull off whatever they intend to do with this game.

Skyrim was a lot of copy paste though. It's actually easier to design a large open world and fill it sparsely. I hope they do pull off creating some unique locales to fight in though, and keep the alleyway shootouts to a minimum.

TMNT

Banned
Pretty much this.

We've seen what amounts to around 2 minutes of gameplay at its most generic form, and arguably at its most boring state as well.

If the game still fails to impress after showcasing the set-piece moments in a proper full-length gameplay blowout, then welp.

Would RAD show the most dull, drab gameplay segment in their initial unveil if they had better options? Are they withholding the "good stuff" intentionally? Doubtful.

Rembrandt

Banned

Well, they need to do a better job at showing off the game. They discussed tons of interesting concepts in previews but they suppress and ruin their own hype by releasing two videos that only show off the gunplay and pretty graphics. People are curious about the investigation aspects, the destructible environments, supernatural aspects, etc. so they need to show those at E3. They couldn't expect nothing but positive reactions when they hype up this last release and then only show 3 mins of gameplay. They're being weird with their marketing.

Would RAD show the most dull, drab gameplay segment in their initial unveil if they had better options? Are they withholding the "good stuff" intentionally? Doubtful.

They could easily be withholding the juicy shit for a much larger forum.

I mean, that video looked like screen grabs from a couple of months a go, who knows what build was shown.

While I don't think it's a good idea to show old builds, I highly doubt they the have been showing "the best" they have, they are saving that for E3 for maximum hype.

Looking very Gears of War so far. Smaller environments, mostly shooting (vs Uncharted shooting/platforming), and heavier hitting guns. No seeing any subsystems or changes to core gameplay from something like Gears of War that makes me think this is going to be more than a pretty game though. Haven't read up much on it though so maybe more has been discussed?

Setting is very neat though even if the cinematic aspect ratio is still unfortunate.

EDIT: Neat weapon concept.

Y2Kev

Well, they need to do a better job at showing off the game. They discussed tons of interesting concepts in previews but they suppress and ruin their own hype by releasing two videos that only show off the gunplay and pretty graphics. People are curious about the investigation aspects, the destructible environments, supernatural aspects, etc. so they need to show those at E3. They couldn't expect nothing but positive reactions when they hype up this last release and then only show 3 mins of gameplay. They're being weird with their marketing.

They didn't even know it was being shown yesterday. The developer is not in charge of "marketing." It was a sneak peak to get you to watch the press conference. I agree it is not being shown well but I don't think it is their responsibility so I will give them a chance to demo it.

Yeah it obvious that he is shooting above and around the enemy to ignite the gas cloud.

The thermite rifle is the flashiest and most devastating of the bunch Ready At Dawn has revealed so far. Pellets packed with strips of aluminum iron oxide are blasted into the environment, which then break open into a cloud of glittery metal paper. A high temperature flare is then shot into the cloud, creating a chemical reaction that turns the cloud into a burning mass of melting metal. This devastating weapon is perfect for punishing enemies hiding behind cover.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...he-weapons-and-gadgets-of-the-order-1886.aspx

hyyyype.

iceatcs

I don't think it has anything to do with system wars. Pretty sure you will find people unimpressed with this sneak peak who were very positive about TLoU's showing. RAD just haven't presented the game well.

It won't be massive thread if we are on 4th years this gen that I can assume. Purely system wars.

Oh yes I'm very unimpressed the way Sony showing this game. I still dunno what is it really about.
Most Sony sneak peaks were montages. What we have from this game is small demo sneak peek. It can be boring because there isn't much to reveal.

Amazing. Small team.

Hope it will success very well, then publisher should able to do "AAA" level without too expensive.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still looks good to me. But I was wanting/expecting a Gears of War clone.

Unless GameInformer was lying through their teeth, their article on The Order 1886's 'Whitechapel demo' back in October last year covered everything we've seen and more, up until the end of the scene where half-breeds made an appearance.

I wouldn't say they're withholding good stuff intentionally, but there's clearly a build of the game ( unoptimised or otherwise ) that GI has seen further ahead of everyone else in the gaming press, and was something with a proper 'stage start and stage end' moment, instead of pieces of gameplay here and there.

I initially assumed Feb reveal would have the rest of the game press see the GI demo, as well... but lol what they saw was no different from what we saw.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Seriously? I'm not alleging it "necessarily helps." I'm saying you should give it the same opportunity that other games have had to show you what they were about. If it gets the chance and fails, then it fails. It's not like we owe it anything.

I feel like I know quite a bit about Destiny, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Most games don't get 8 min stage demo's. They get trailers and previews and if they're fairly open extended demo's but they're not on stage.

Anyway my point is that you could potentially make an 8 minute demo of what they're already shown, and extend the encounter. That won't necessarily tell you what the game is about but it'll give you a larger sample.

takoyaki

care to elaborate to the rest of us who doesn't even know how TPS can be revolutionize?
For god sake it's TPS, what more do u want?

Look, I did, 40 pages ago in this thread, not sure why you picked this post from a conversation I had with someone else half a day ago. What more do I want? I want new franchises to take risks at the beginning of the gen because we all know they will become franchises. I don't accept the notion that we've arrived at a point were the FPS and TPS are at the end of their respective evolution. It's just that he industry's current take on the genre still sells, that's why nobody seems to eager to push forward. If the industry had only focused on graphics, we'd be playing with 2 photorealistic paddles and one photorealistic ping-pong ball. I remember people saying how TPS couldn't get any better when Max Payne 1 came out. Well, Resi4 changed the experience with it's tighter camera, Gears changed the whole flow of the genre with Pop-and-Shoot and Vanquish had a very unique take on Gear's gameplay. That's 3 examples of what I'm thinking of when you say "care to elaborate". Of course I don't know what the next step is, that is the job of the gamedesigners. I just don't want AAA to always play it safe and never try something new because "For god sake it's TPS, what more do u want" is an acceptable excuse.

Oh, and like I said 40 pages ago, the Order can still be a great game with a lot of variety and a great story. It might even be the next evolution in the TPS genre. We've seen 3 minutes, but those were what the developer wanted us to see, so they are probably pretty representative of the game's gameplay (and graphics, those look incredible). We can only judge the game by what the developer gives us.

Skele7on

Banned
I was really impressed by the footage, can't wait to see some that isn't cut down by the stream! 3 million people watching at some point, was crazy!

True. They need to really bring it at E3. I was just watching the E3 demo of UC2, the helicopter/collapsing building part and it's still impressive this day even after seeing it a bunch of times and playing through the game twice. Something like that from RAD would really change people's minds.

Y2Kev

Most games don't get 8 min stage demo's. They get trailers and previews and if they're fairly open extended demo's but they're not on stage.

Anyway my point is that you could potentially make an 8 minute demo of what they're already shown, and extend the encounter. That won't necessarily tell you what the game is about but it'll give you a larger sample.

I think you're being really difficult here. It is obvious I'm not suggesting the game needs a "stage demo." I'm saying The Last of Us got one and therefore you had a fuller gameplay demonstration with which to understand how the game worked. It doesn't have to be on stage. An 8 minute video streamed over the internet regardless of where it is coming from is functionally the same.

The whole argument I am trying to make is that the sample is too small to draw any conclusions (I did not excuse Sony for giving people a small sample).

I'm not understanding our disconnect.

Look, I did, 40 pages ago in this thread, not sure why you picked this post from a conversation I had with someone else half a day ago. What more do I want? I want new franchises to take risks at the beginning of the gen because we all know they will become franchises. I don't accept the notion that we've arrived at a point were the FPS and TPS are at the end of their respective evolution. It's just that he industry's current take on the genre still sells, that's why nobody seems to eager to push forward. If the industry had only focused on graphics, we'd be playing with 2 photorealistic paddles and one photorealistic ping-pong ball. I remember people saying how TPS couldn't get any better when Max Payne 1 came out. Well, Resi4 changed the experience with it's tighter camera, Gears changed the whole flow of the genre with Pop-and-Shoot and Vanquish had a very unique take on Gear's gameplay. That's 3 examples of what I'm thinking of when you say "care to elaborate". Of course I don't know what the next step is, that is the job of the gamedesigners. I just don't want AAA to always play it safe and never try something new because "For god sake it's TPS, what more do u want" is an acceptable excuse.

Oh, and like I said 40 pages ago, the Order can still be a great game with a lot of variety and a great story. It might even be the next evolution in the TPS genre. We've seen 3 minutes, but those were what the developer wanted us to see, so they are probably pretty representative of the game's gameplay (and graphics, those look incredible). We can only judge the game by what the developer gives us.

Those few minutes of gameplay is what sonys marketing team wanted us to see. Not RaD.

I think that, in terms of gameplay mechanics, the genre has hit somewhat of a plateau. What this game is doing that is fresh and new is in the graphics area, setting and lore, there is still this talk about this morse code and detective work and horror aspects. I hope we see more at E3.

Edit: we still have not seen the main enemy type. Thats how little we know about this game.

True. They need to really bring it at E3. I was just watching the E3 demo of UC2, the helicopter/collapsing building part and it's still impressive this day even after seeing it a bunch of times and playing through the game twice. Something like that from RAD would really change people's minds.
basically they need a setpiece and peeps will go omgwtfbbq.

sorry to burst your bubble, but uncharted played 90% of the time like that 3 minute demo of the order. worse, it had no flashy weapons.

still, it was a great series. that is why i just scoff at those who prematurely write off the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom