• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoG

I thought that was already bunked? Since on plasmas, the parts that are black on screen will be off.
that's what I've read in this thread. I don't know much about plasmas.

The problem is the middle of the screen will wear unevenly and you'll have a dim center and brighter area where the bars are. I'm overly cautious though.

are we watching the same videos here? is that cam footage because the game looks like another downgrade.
The top picture looks better. Which build is which?
iGChU0Z3djIbz.png

ibwuyPawBVf2N9.png

Come on guys, i know the footage was compressed but it's obvious which one looks better.

takoyaki

I played Dragon's Dogma for over 100 hours. No issue with burn-in. Is it a common problem nowadays?

It's less of a problem for newer model plasmas, but it's still an issue. I think permanent burn-in during normal use is pretty much gone, but image retention is still a thing. The longer you use your plasma, the less likely it will be a problem and turning down contrast will help as well.

I played about 120 hours of Dark Souls on my 2010 Panasonic plasma over a holiday break and the HUD was there for over a month afterwards, but you'd only notice it up close or if it really clashed with the colors of a movie. I played a PS2 game in 4:3 last week, big black bars to the left and right. If you display a white image, than you'll see the outline of the 4:3 image, but in normal use, it's hardly noticeable and will be gone in a week. If you play a game with black bars or a big HUD, the trick is to display something different in between gaming sessions. I use an SD card with monochromatic images (blue, green, white,...) and I've never had any permanent burn-ins.

orochi91

It's less of a problem for newer model plasmas, but it's still an issue. I think permanent burn-in during normal use is pretty much gone, but image retention is still a thing. The longer you use your plasma, the less likely it will be a problem and turning down contrast will help as well.

I played about 120 hours of Dark Souls on my 2010 Panasonic plasma over a holiday break and the HUD was there for over a month afterwards, but you'd only notice it up close or if it really clashed with the colors of a movie. I played a PS2 game in 4:3 last week, big black bars to the left and right. If you display a white image, than you'll see the outline of the 4:3 image, but in normal use, it's hardly noticeable and will be gone in a week. If you play a game with black bars or a big HUD, the trick is to display something different in between gaming sessions. I use an SD card with monochromatic images (blue, green, white,...) and I've never had any permanent burn-ins.

I've always wanted to invest in a plasma set, but the burn-in issue scared me away.
I wonder if it will ever be fully dealt with. In fact, who is still making plasma sets
in 2014?

GameSeeker

Dear Ready At Dawn,

A suggestion for E3.

Sony Marketing seems stuck on using YouTube for all their game trailers and thereby making their games look much worse than reality due to the usage of low-quality, low bitrate YouTube video. Several studios have found ways to deliver higher quality video footage. Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog and Evolution have all delivered high quality, high bitrate video that has impressed far more people than any YouTube footage.

It's clear you have put much effort into the graphics, animation, character design, physics, etc. of the world of The Order: 1886. Please have a plan to release high quality videos of your game before the end of E3. It doesn't matter whether you host the video on the Ready at Dawn website, Gamersyde, MEGA, etc. but find some place for it. If all people see of your game at E3 is more lousy YouTube footage, you will have done your game a disservice.

So be prepared and develop a plan for E3. And release the hounds! :D

takoyaki

I've always wanted to invest in a plasma set, but the burn-in issue scared me away.
I wonder if it will ever be fully dealt with. In fact, who is still making plasma sets
in 2014?

Sadly, nobody. Panasonic was the last big manufacturer, but they released their last models in 2013. Those are supposed to be the best plasmas ever made, at least after the Kuros. There are still a few good options out there right now if you're interested, the image quality is really worth it, it's like a 65" Vita OLED :)

edit: Oh, and don't be too worried about burn-ins, it's hardly a problem on my 2010 plasma and the common consensus is that it was getting less and less of an issue with each year. If you buy a 2013 model, that's it. Plasma TV won't get any better than that. Now it's time to wait for affordable OLEDs.

Remember never to switch your plasma off. That's the whole lot of black which may break it!

Oh. My. Sides.
Not sure if serious. The issue comes from pixels aging at different rates. As plasmas age, they darken. Black bars won't age as fast, leading to brighter images at the top and bottom of the screen.

This is less of an issue with newer plasmas.

On Demand

Banned
No wonder plasma is no longer made. People are still scared of IR and burn in.

Sigh. I never worry about either when using my kuro. Never had a problem.

Now we're stuck with shitty LCD's.

There should be no problem playing The Order on a plasma for long hours. Just make sure afterwards you follow it with full screen content.

I still don't like having black bars on a game though.

Those black bars have a high chance to be burnt into the screen on older plasma television sets.

Not unless you're playing the game for REALLY long periods of time incessantly.

I can't see the game harming the screen, unless you were playing the whole deal in one sitting.

FeiRR

Banned
Not sure if serious. The issue comes from pixels aging at different rates. As plasmas age, they darken. Black bars won't age as fast, leading to brighter images at the top and bottom of the screen.

This is less of an issue with newer plasmas.
Of course I wasn't serious. How long until such thing happens, several thousand hours? Would you not watch a film on it because it may also have black bars? If you worry about things like that, don't buy a plasma. It's like suggesting not to charge your phone or laptop because it will eventually kill the battery.

R_Deckard

iGChU0Z3djIbz.png

ibwuyPawBVf2N9.png

Come on guys, i know the footage was compressed but it's obvious which one looks better.
Yeah the new one has more detail, greater post processing effects, like DoF and volumetric lighting specular light bloom on the gun and armour and more smoke, alpha effects and particles all with a silky smooth framerate and brilliant motion blur.

When this game shows the horror, werewolf side it will litterly be the bomb! I am even more desperate for this game now than ever, but please,please ready at dawn/Sony give us a direct feed HQ version of this....I need it in my veins!

Good to see that the hate/downgrade all games are crap brigade has moved from watchdogs or The Order... I shudder to think what will happen once Quantum Break and Halo 5 are shown.

Samyy

Yeah the new one has more detail, greater post processing effects, like DoF and volumetric lighting specular light bloom on the gun and armour and more smoke, alpha effects and particles all with a silky smooth framerate and brilliant motion blur.

When this game shows the horror, werewolf side it will litterly be the bomb! I am even more desperate for this game now than ever, but please,please ready at dawn/Sony give us a direct feed HQ version of this....I need it in my veins!

Good to see that the hate/downgrade all games are crap brigade has moved from watchdogs or The Order... I shudder to think what will happen once Quantum Break and Halo 5 are shown.

Halo 5 "oh great you just shoot things from a first person perspective, I played this in the 90s"

FeiRR

Banned
How do you know that? Certainly not from this stuttering and torn stream.

jacobeid

Banned
Is my video player acting up or are there VERY noticeable framerate drops and screen tears? It even seems blurry in 1080p (on the video feed player, I know that The Order is not a 1080p game).

I guess it doesn't really matter because the gameplay looks so boring.

MilesTeg

Banned
Is my video player acting up or are there VERY noticeable framerate drops and screen tears? It even seems blurry in 1080p (on the video feed player, I know that The Order is not a 1080p game).

I guess it doesn't really matter because the gameplay looks so boring.

Yeah for me both videos are very poor. I'm assuming the game isn't actually running that badly. At least I hope not.

Really diggin the black bars honestly. I thought the whole thing was CGI. I like the settings too. Then again, the gameplay looked pretty boring.

VanWinkle

InFamous was ok for me. First play through took me 15+ hours, second play through around 10-12 hours, and I'm still doing Paper Trail stuff, so it's not too bad. But yea, I'm in the same boat. No multiplayer and I want 15-20 hours of gameplay or a campaign that is extremely repayable.

Agreed.

Shads

Graphically, this the best looking game on next gen (or are we calling them current gen now?) without a doubt (until Uncharted is shown). I love this alternate reality setting and atmosphere, I think Ready at Dawn nailed it just by the few videos I've seen. The gameplay is very reminiscent of Gears of War, which to me, isn't a bad thing at all and even if someone said it's a GoW clone, then that's good news to me as GoW was always fun as hell. I really can't wait to see more of what Sony has to show of this at E3.

jaypah

Some of this really does have CG quality to it, looks very...grounded? Believable? I don't know how to phrase it but it looks good. I dig TPS games so this is probably going to be a day one thing. Can't wait to see more of it.

orochi91

I game on level 94 contrast and 57 brightness on my gt50. No regrets

Sadly, nobody. Panasonic was the last big manufacturer, but they released their last models in 2013. Those are supposed to be the best plasmas ever made, at least after the Kuros. There are still a few good options out there right now if you're interested, the image quality is really worth it, it's like a 65" Vita OLED :)

edit: Oh, and don't be too worried about burn-ins, it's hardly a problem on my 2010 plasma and the common consensus is that it was getting less and less of an issue with each year. If you buy a 2013 model, that's it. Plasma TV won't get any better than that. Now it's time to wait for affordable OLEDs.

Yeah, no burnin, just image retention these days. And that's a non issue.

Regarding burn-in, this is good to hear. I will now be on the hunt for a Panasonic VT60.

You need to avoid black bars on a plasma. It's ok for a two hour movie, but a 15 hour game it's not good. It's our punishment for being picture quality snobs.
If you played any game for 15 hours straight theoretically by your logic the hud will be burned in. But it doesn't happen that much nowadays.

That is such an odd worry... If you are a plasma owner you should be used to these things. I get image retention out the ass, burn in never.

EBreda

The stream honestly kept cutting out for me, had to reload twice.

Every time there is a new batch of juniors people always say stuff like that, I think your taking things a little too seriously, the junior thing is used as a joke here or there.

Also, I would assume that you aren't aware of what Sony's first party has done or put out over the last few years so I'm going to pretend that you aren't judging the quality of their studios based on launch/launch window titles (expect for inFamous, which was loads of fun) we don't even know much about because that in itself is asinine, but hey if you want to post stuff like that then it is your prerogative.

Also I'm not really equipped to discuss this game considering I know nothing about it, beyond its setting and genre. What I can say is the setting intrigues me and I enjoy third person shooters.

I`m am totally aware of Sony 1st party efforts over the last few years and I`m all for it.
That doesn`t make the PS4 1st party situation any better though. As things are at this time, my first year with the PS4 didn`t translate to interesting 1st party software, that`s all.

And I was very specific qhen I said "fails to impress ME so far", so your experience might be different. I was talking about mine.

I promise you the negativity for those games will be minimal at best. Quote me later.

cormack12

Gold Member
Why are these videos such horrible quality? I can't even watch them all the way through. It takes a lot for something like that to bother me. I really like the idea of this game - if there are new videos etc. at least make them decent enough quality to be able to formulate opinions on :(

StuBurns

Banned
It is the first game to achieve that 'CG' look.

The way his coat slaps against his leg and the bounce folds out instantly literally looks impossible to believe.

So, Plasma-GAF, I take it you guys never ever watch movies?

I've watched many back to back episodes of The Wire with the old school 4:3 ratio on my ST50 without problems, only time I had problems with IR was playing the Witcher 2 for like 5 hours straight on it when it was still fairly new. It went away after a while from just watching tv on it

Graphically looks better than any game I have ever seen. Looks like CGI.

But my God does the gameplay look generic as hell.

no shite. moves like gears and turns into gta once you start firing. the worst of both worlds.

and doesent sony already have a first party franchise that plays like this? whats it called?............................oh yeah, uncharted.

The videos are bad quality because Sony gave an exclusive look on a Twitch stream, every other video is recorded from said stream. It was supposed to be a one-off, exciting thing before we get the full footage and now we're all looking at shitty captures from Twitch and squinting. Sony should have realised this and just released it on Youtube or something.

Also, agree that in trying to prove it was downgraded that previous poster merely made it look upgraded, shame.

iGChU0Z3djIbz.png

ibwuyPawBVf2N9.png

Honestly looking at them now, the new footage looks better, compressed or not. The lighting effects on the character and gun are better and bring the focal point on the player character (as it should be), and the saturation levels are toned down to create a more appropriate vibe, not to mention it works better for contrast w/ the explosions.

Level of texture detail for the buildings looks better in the old shots yeah, but I'd take the newer ones easily. It actually has depth and doesn't look flat.

ihvOcq2yvziZK.gif

If you were to tell me this was cg, i would have believed you.
Same. This is probably the best-looking next-gen game I've seen so far, both in a technical and artistic sense. Can't wait 'till crow's eaten by the haters thinking the game's gonna suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom