• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to cut TV, Smartphone lineup; sees growth in PlayStation, image sensors

boltz

I really hope they keep coming out with their Z series phones, tho refreshing every 6 months is kinda insane. Would rather see them come out with a new flagship every year, and actually push and support the handsets they produce

Yup, thinking about a Z3 compact, but I don't know if this bodes well for software support for that phone.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nope, they need to go back to the bare essentials and stay there.

Too many devices per product line is what got them into this mess in the first place. They need to focus on a small, quality set of devices per product line, and advertise.

I'm seeing xperia z3 compact ads all over the place in Australia, so hopefully they keep the push up.

Samsung is suffering too, S5 sales are like 40% below expectations, they are releasing like 56 smartphone models a year, etc...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup, thinking about a Z3 compact, but I don't know if this bodes well for software support for that phone.

Most of Android is slowly moving out of AOSP/Android proper and into Google Play Services which auto update and are not stopped by ISP and phone makers. Unless you need firmware changes or changes to the Android kernel and system level components, Android is slowly changing the rules behind their fragmentation issues :).

Krilekk

Banned
Seems like the Playstation brand is more important than ever to Sony this generation if they're hedging their bets on it.

And that could be the end of it. It's like they already forgot the last generation or don't recognize Nintendos fall from grace. Sony went from market leader to third place (back then Japan was still relevant for consoles which helped them stay in 2nd place in worldwide numbers but now consoles pretty much only sell in Europe and America), Nintendo went from market leader to last place within three years. From profit making to loss machine. You don't build your main business around such a volatile market. Nintendo only exists because they still have billions of cash. Sony has billions of debt.

Their TV business has been on thin ice for years now. That's not really surprising. They definitely need to refocus their smartphone lineup tho. Focus on the Z and Z compact, possibly one lower end, more affordable model.

I'm glad to see Playstation becoming Sony's flagship brand tho.

With what we know, Sony is actually geared to do a lot better in the 2015-2016 calendar than they have in the recent past.

* They finally got rid of the useless and loss leading PC division.

* They spun off the TV division which now has to float on its own or sink. Trimming the fat in the TV sets is a much better idea than trying to be everything and everywhere at any cost.
If like Panasonic they can aim mostly for the higher margin (but lesser volume) high end, they should be able to do fine. Having high volumes of unsold low cost TVs in inventory was definitely not fine (can't really sell your $350 32" Sony TV to Joe Blow when he can't see the difference with the Emerson TV of the same size but at $225. And more often than not, for the average user, there were little to no difference with a Sammy set of the same size at $299).

* Where the normally profitable Tablet/ Cell phone busines really hurt them in 2013-2014 is because they did not have big carriers selling them in NA (not sure about Europe). Lack of advertising also hurt them, but for the longest time it was simply not an option to find the most recent Xperia products at a reasonable cost in the US. Now? The Z3 is present with most large carriers (I know it's at least with T-Mobile and Verizon) at the same cost as any other flagship phone. Heck, back in August when comapring all my options (coming from a Motorola Razzr Max) I wanted a Z3 but couldn't get it with Verizon, so I fell back on a Note 3. I now wish I had waited.

* PS4 is selling great worldwide, and carriying along (most importantly) services. Bringing Remoteplay and PS Now to other devices was very much needed, good for them that they finally went there.
Now if they could make Music and Video Unlimited truly appealing, they'd have something really special (not holding my breath though).

* The imaging division will do fine as long as people buy video cameras and phones with cameras.

* The Finances division will probably continue to do fine, and at least maybe won't have to carry the whole comapny from now on, baring a financial collapse which I think is unlikely in the near future.

Imo, it's probably time to buy (if you're into stock options). Probably won't get any lower than it has been in the recent past, and will actually probably go up from now on.

Disclaimer: I'm no professional Analyst. Just a guy who has Bloomberg TV in his office all day long ;)
Good summary but I don't think that Sony has the management skills to pull this off, they've been trying different things for years and nothing has worked and I don't have reason to believe that they can make this happen.

MavFan619

Banned
Came home the other day to a newly purchased Sony Bravia 60" in my living room. I like it a lot, good to hear they will still have some kind of presence with Tvs I like theirs.

Do modern TVs do full RGB? Haven't bought one since the start of last gen.

Yes. But you may have to set it to full and sometimes its labled differently depending on the brand. Also, be sure you set your ps4 to full as well. The automatic setting doesn't work for many people.

Skux

Yes. But you may have to set it to full and sometimes its labled differently depending on the brand. Also, be sure you set your ps4 to full as well. The automatic setting doesn't work for many people.

Yeah that's annoying. On Samsung monitors, full RGB is labelled "low" and limited is "normal". Which doesn't make sense because it's called "color range". "Low" means the RGB values go all the way down to 0, but having a "low" colour range sounds like the opposite of what you should do.

Yeah that's annoying. On Samsung full is labelled "low" and limited is "normal". Which doesn't make sense because it's under the color range. "Low" is supposed to mean the RGB values go all the way down to 0, but having a "low" colour range sounds like the opposite of what you should do.

No wonder the picture looks better on my s27d590p monitor when I set black level to low lol. I was confused kept thinking something was wrong.

rambis

Banned
And that could be the end of it. It's like they already forgot the last generation or don't recognize Nintendos fall from grace. Sony went from market leader to third place (back then Japan was still relevant for consoles which helped them stay in 2nd place in worldwide numbers but now consoles pretty much only sell in Europe and America), Nintendo went from market leader to last place within three years. From profit making to loss machine. You don't build your main business around such a volatile market. Nintendo only exists because they still have billions of cash. Sony has billions of debt.
Nintendo also actively segmented themselves away from the markets that Sony competes in, at least in the home console segment. Meanwhile Sony "sunk" to third and still at or around about 90 million units. They will likely end this generation as market leader which would make that 3 out of 4 generations that they have lead.

Good summary but I don't think that Sony has the management skills to pull this off, they've been trying different things for years and nothing has worked and I don't have reason to believe that they can make this happen.
Most of the moves he outlined have been in the works for a few years. Sony was never going to get back on its feet overnight. Of course you could argue that delaying the moves for TV/PC made things worse but that's another argument.

Top Bottom