• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to cut TV, Smartphone lineup; sees growth in PlayStation, image sensors

HowZatOZ

Banned
I love their TV's. Their $799 60" has got to be one of the best deals out there right now. My 55" is still kicking after almost 5 years. It's the one division (besides PS4) I hope sticks around. I'm still hurting after they axed the VAIO divison.
The persona will sadly always be here that Sony TVs are too expensive, which they were and still are to say me degree. Hopefully the changes work, but I don't like the soun of relying on PlayStation Vue as that seems like a very unlikely project to work.

Sony needs to trim the fat. Seems to be they're aware of this.

Funny enough I was eyeing up one of their TVs just recently and I'm getting the Xperia Z3 for Christmas. Their products are getting really good again imo...

But yeah they need to trim those divisions down. Too many products, quality over quantity and what not.

I have both the Z3 and Z3 Compact and the phones are brilliant. The battery life is fucking amazing! I'm getting the Xperia Z3 Tablet compact next to make it a trilogy!

So to make sure I understand this correctly, after reading the article, Sony TV's and cell phones will continue to exist, just we'll be seeing a lot less variety of them in the stores?

I just don't understand why people aren't buying Sony phones. I can forgive America because they are always slow to release there and have stupid carrier exclusivity deals but man, the rest of the world is making a giant mistake by not going Sony. They are blatantly the best unless you absolutely must have vanilla Android.

TVs are incredible as well but yes, pricing is a huge issue for them.

Price is not an issue anymore, they introduce some very good panel at 800 Euros for 50 inch. Yes, we talk about very basic Sony Tv but this what they need now, this is what we need now

I literally just bought a Sony TV yesterday that handily beats Samsung TV's in the same price range.

The stigma of all Sony TV's beating overpriced is kind on like saying the Xbox One still had to be always online. It just isn't true anymore.

There's definitely high priced Sony TVs but the same is true with Samsung.

Drekken

Neo Member
Sony TVs are so overpriced, ain't nobody buying a Sony TV.

I disagree. All I buy is Sony TVs and they have never done me wrong. All other brands just feel so cheap compared to Sony. Most have mentioned their low input lag, which is really the selling point for me.

Arkanius

I would buy Sony TVs if they were cheaper
Its hard to fight against LG and Samsung, honestly, this is a problem affecting Japan's Electronic Industry to be honest.

How to reduce costs without sacrificing their quality is problematic.
Most Japanese companies already implement LEAN...

Exile20

I would buy Sony TVs if they were cheaper
Its hard to fight against LG and Samsung, honestly, this is a problem affecting Japan's Electronic Industry to be honest.

How to reduce costs without sacrificing their quality is problematic.
Most Japanese companies already implement LEAN...

It is a cost vs quality thing and consumers are choosing cost.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
At least they released the Xperia Z3 before they discontinue the whole thing....I hope they don't rocket in price because of this since I'm getting one of those in January.

Koralsky

I have original Xperia Z, but my TV is 51 inch Samsung plasma.

I am quite happy with their support for the Z - it's February 2013 model and will receive Android 5.0.

Z started with 4.1.2 Jelly Beam - so 4 major OS updates, along with couple of bug fixes.

I truly hope they keep just Z series - with this series they can have his own niche with very good support and loyal fanbase, because of the quality and the support.

Because of the flagship category, they can have bigger margin and eventually be profitable in mobile segment.

They also have amazing tablets - Z, Z2, Z3 compact.

J-Rzez

Sony TVs are so overpriced, ain't nobody buying a Sony TV.

No, to both statements.

If the LG 9300 didn't exist, I would pimp the X900B so fast. Sony's color tech stands out to even those who know nothing about what they're looking at. Their TVs sport some of the lowest input lag out there. Walk into a Best Buy and compare Sony TV's against competitive Samsung TVs and see their prices and tell me which is actually overpriced, which are the Samsung TVs for what you get.

On another note, I thought they were supposed to trim the fat with their TVs. It was looking that way, then all of a sudden they released some cheap entry level TVs. It's like Sony doesn't know what's going on in it's own company. They need to address this.

Ushay

This is sad to hear, Sony make magnificent phones and TVs. Really high quality stuff form them recently.

In fact I'm planning on getting a 55 inch Sony when we move house next year.

Getting a Z3 tablet compact this weekend. Hope I'm not making a mistake as all I've heard is good things about it (minus the price)

I just hope this doesn't happen: I buy it, then Sony shuts down the xperia division; no support for my tablet for years to come.

Theman2k

I just bought this today:
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KDL-60W855B/list

sony-kdl-60w855.jpg

Anyone care to share what they think on this TV?

Does this mean there will be no future support for the smart tv?

So, they're not actually cutting the TV and phone divisions, but rather, are attempting to transition them in to more of a boutique business a la Apple?

I'm okay with that.

cafemomo

Do you buy the best quality of everything? You have to be extremely rich.

What? no. Sony is a TV brand I trust and the TV gets a lot of usage in my place so I will go with the superior brand due to the frequent usage and knowing it will take a good beating per say

There are certain things where I will save up and fork over the extra cash for.

If only they offered their 2gbps internet in NYC, then I'd be on that right away lol. But in all seriousness, they need to really leverage their film business and offer some sort of Netflix like streaming service for PlayStation. Their smart phones are really amazing also, I had the Z2 and it really was a breath of fresh air compared to Samsung's touch wiz bullshit, they really need to cut their line up and offer a phablet, flagship, and a compact flagship, and make them available on all US carriers.

tbm24

I bought a KDL-50W828B last Friday. Looooooooveee it!

sony-kdl-55w805b-001.o.jpg

I have the same TV, bought in June for the World Cup. Lovely TV, I don't think I'll replace it unless I live in a place with a huge living room/4K broadcast of footy matches becomes a thing.

Getting a Z3 tablet compact this weekend. Hope I'm not making a mistake as all I've heard is good things about it (minus the price)

I just hope this doesn't happen: I buy it, then Sony shuts down the xperia division; no support for my tablet for years to come.

Fantastic tablet mate. I'm getting mine shortly in white!

If your tv doesn't last 5 years it's a shitty tv. That's nothing to be proud of. That isn't to say I doubt they've turned around their TV business to sell good, high quality products.

I got suckered into one of their VAIOs (2011 SA, the second most exp at the time), and it was hot garbage. Cheap feeling construction, poor battery life, low performant, but at least it had a really, really nice screen on it!

It's good to see them focus their efforts and clean up the product line. When they make a high quality product, it's often times fantastic. Some of their cameras are quite spectacular. I would have gotten on of the NEXes except for the lens platform.

That's so ironic because I have the 2012 VAIO S. I love it. IPS screen and discreet graphics for all under 1k and it came with a VITA. I don't know about the 2011 model, but this one is pretty solid. Still has another 2+ years on it easily before the hardware starts getting antiquated.

rjinaz

I bought a Sony Bravia 40 inch 1080p LED tv in 2008 for $1000. It was even on sale because it was used on the floor. I have used that tv extensively as my main tv, often times leaving it on all night long. That's 6 years of heavy use, and the thing is still ticking. The picture is excellent, even for today.

Say what you want about the price, but Sony made some quality TVs.

Skux

They definitely need to cut down on TV models and streamline the product names. The silly A-Z series titles aren't doing anyone any favours.

One for entry level, one for midrange, and one for high end, all in different sizes. Done.

AHindD

They definitely need to cut down on TV models and streamline the product names. The silly A-Z series titles aren't doing anyone any favours.

One for entry level, one for midrange, and one for high end, all in different sizes. Done.

Yep definately. They need to do this to their phone line up too, there are just too many options. The z3, z3 compact, tablet, and a single mid range device is all they need. They should also adopt a yearly upgrade refresh, in line with their other device line up.

Just to be clear, they're not cutting TV and mobile completely, they're streamlining their product range, which they should have done years ago.

Edit: I freaking love my 55' hx850!

I'll buy the last guardian thrice.

Also I've mentioned Sony's mobile follies to death in the official android thread so I won't bother but the mobile and tv news is so predictable.

Zukuu

Banned
I have a Sony Bravia TV from 7 years ago or something and it still holds up. Perfect gaming TV as it features minimal input lag. I also plan to get a Xperia z3 Compact for christmas - since it's the best 'mini' smart phone available. *shrugs*

AHindD

Sony needs to cut down to the bare essentials.

Then once they get their shit together, build back up.

Nope, they need to go back to the bare essentials and stay there.

Too many devices per product line is what got them into this mess in the first place. They need to focus on a small, quality set of devices per product line, and advertise.

I'm seeing xperia z3 compact ads all over the place in Australia, so hopefully they keep the push up.

Top Bottom