• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnawtyDog

Banned
MS probably isn't happy with the arrangement. But if Destiny shows the direction Bungie would have liked to take Halo (and Reach/ODST kinda show it was)... then I'm glad they're off the franchise personally.

A direction heavily influenced by a new world with its own lore, heavily ambitious. Also heavily influenced by a publisher arrangement (the deal) and a direction heavily influenced by resources split on 4 platforms. If Bungie has shown anything with Destiny it's that they are capable of delivering quality games under a new banner, and to different ships, not just one. Then again I know gamers only look at a metacritic score to gauge success. For Bungie's first endeavor outside MS umbrella, they have done very well in my book. I don't see how Destiny's performance is any indicator of Bungie's performance for a hypothetical Halo Open-world RPG. I have never played Halo 4, I sold my X360 a few months after Halo 3, but I did read some backlash from the hardcore about the linearity of Halo 4. So it's not like 343i re-invented the wheel.

Synth

A direction heavily influenced by a new world with its own lore, heavily ambitious. Also heavily influenced by a publisher arrangement and a direction heavily influenced by resources split on 4 platforms. If Bungie has shown anything with Destiny it's that they are capable of delivering quality games under a new banner, and to different ships, not just one. Then again I know gamers only look at a metacritic score to guage success.

Yea, but none of this changes how I feel about the game. I consider Destiny to be much worse than even the worst Halo. If Bungie wanted to make Destiny, and didn't want to continue making Halo's in the form they are/were, then that's fine... but I'm glad they split off to do their own thing rather than turn something I actually do like into it.

Maybe the best choice for MS would have been to build 343i to take over Halo anyway, whilst the rest of Bungie got to make Destiny... but none of that's important outside of system wars, because both games would have existed in that scenario anyway, and 343i would still be making Halo today.

StuBurns

Banned
There's no reason to think Halo was going to become Destiny. Bungie had been working on new IP on and off since the first Halo, and none of them ever got made. They left because they were being stopped from doing something new, not because they wanted to pervert Halo.

omonimo

Banned
It's simple really.

SE have no idea how to handle TR, as we saw last gen. MS clearly see this and think that they could do better. So MS obviously opened talks with Square for the next game, and offered there assistance.

And yes, I want them to do the same with Capcom, who also clearly have no fucking idea what to do with the likes of RE, or DMC.
WTF I'm reading here. You can't be serious. MS has nothing to do with the game design. He paid for the time exclusive , no more.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yea, but none of this changes how I feel about the game. I consider Destiny to be much worse than even the worst Halo. If Bungie wanted to make Destiny, and didn't want to continue making Halo's in the form they are/were, then that's fine... but I'm glad they split off to do their own thing rather than turn something I actually do like into it.

This is obviously all speculation but for all intent and purposes some studios need freedom from time to time - to take on other projects and take on risk. Studios like Bungie deserve that trust, just like ND with Sony. If you're forced to churn out sequel after sequels - it gets tiring/boring for the creative minds behind it that ultimately make those products as well as make the studios run. Morale is key.

The story behind the cancelled SSM new IP would be very interesting from this point of view - if any journalist gets the inside scoop on what happened that would be neat. Embrace success as well as failure and make sure there is more of S than F.

Synth

There's no reason to think Halo was going to become Destiny. Bungie had been working on new IP on and off since the first Halo, and none of them ever got made. They left because they were being stopped from doing something new, not because they wanted to pervert Halo.
This is obviously all speculation but for all intent and purposes some studios need freedom from time to time - to take on other projects and take on risk. Studios like Bungie deserve that trust, just like ND with Sony. If you're forced to churn out sequel after sequels - it gets tiring/boring for the creative minds behind it that ultimately make those products as well as the studios run. Morale is key.

I think I'm coming across wrong here. I don't have any animosity towards Bungie for not wanting to continue making the Halo games I want. But I do still want them, so I'm glad that 343i has been created with the purpose of doing so. If MS were to pony up for both Destiny and Halo 4/5 to be created, then I wouldn't mind... but that situation isn't really any different to how things are today, with the exception that less people would be playing Destiny right now.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I think I'm coming across wrong here. I don't have any animosity towards Bungie for not wanting to continue making the Halo games I want. But I do still want them, so I'm glad that 343i has been created with the purpose of doing so. If MS were to pony up for both Destiny and Halo 4/5 to be created, then I wouldn't mind... but that situation isn't really any different to how things are today, with the exception that less people would be playing Destiny right now.

Ohh obviously. I think gamers win, at least PS fans. But then again there is obviously the side of the coin that says that Bungie pooling all of its resources towards a single platform would of yielded a more polished output. There are benefits to "first party".

Then you pointed very very poorly considering the link pertained to studios and their ownership, not video games and their publishers.

Ok, fair enough. However the link did state "In reality, the resulting game is first party (since it is funded by the platform holder who usually owns the resulting IP)".

Which is ultimately the point I was getting to when I used FFVII as an example. Sony hold the publishing rights for consoles, it went through First-Party QA and is still available to buy (albeit the GH version) via SCEE staff sales. But it's not a first-party title as Sony didn't fund it nor do they own the IP.

Yeh but to be fair to Microsoft Bungie also proved with Halo 2 that they weren't capable of developing a new IP and Halo at the same time. Whilst it would have been preferable for Microsoft to have let them develop a new IP and keep Bungie, Halo is much more important to them than Bungie.

And besides, I don't think if MS had let them make a new IP they would have stayed anyway, they wanted out simple as that.

Footos22

As I said above, the consistency with Halo and Gears. Also MS made the right decision where Bungie are concerned, Destiny was a total mess, in the way the IP was managed.

Hardly, I.P was handled perfectly up until after launch. They'd already sold millions. millions of ppl still play each and every day all needing gold subscriptions/ PS+ to get the best content.

Its a good game, Gameplay is fantastic. Sold Subscriptions and consoles.
Im sure they are super happy they didn tlet them make it.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't know if this is a serious request (especially after the near unanimous hatred this game garnered on the intertubes), but I would absolutely LOVE this.

lol I get that alot because of my opinion, but I really did love the original Knack for what it was and saw vast amounts of potential for this kinda game. Played it Co-op with my brother and we had a blast all the way through. The last boss was really impressive too. Knack is still my favorite game on the PS4 still, I was let down by Infamous and Killzone considering I used to be a fan of both Killzone 2 and Infamous 1+2.

For the record, when people say ridiculious posts, they get juniored or banned, I've never been banned for any of my most recent comments. Namely because none of it was riduclious.
Yes it is pretty ridiculous. SE did it because they got a ton of money from MS. Considering TR would be going against U4 at the end of the year and losing, the money they got from MS in their mind made more sense than releasing TR on the PS4 at the same time as it was released on the X1.

What you said is a bunch of hopeful fanboy nonsense. Now MS may take over some marketing campaigns as it could be part of the deal, but not because SE is so bad at it that they ask for MS for help. But money. It also makes sense that if they do the deal, they may as well commit and let MS use their money rather than their own.

Microsoft hires studios to work on their IPs which is cheaper than having 10 or 20 studios getting paid and have 2 to 3 games a year being good.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
For the record, when people say ridiculious posts, they get juniored or banned, I've never been banned for any of my most recent comments. Namely because none of it was riduclious.
For the record, I read your post last night and couldn't be arsed to ban you because it was too stupid to bother with. Which is saying something.

Sydle

Can OP update list to include Fibbage, Zoo Tycoon, etc.?

Maybe someone else should create a new thread that will keep both sides accurate and a mod can close this one down? It's kind of weird nobody will update the title. KAL is a known quantity for his Sony bias and I'm pretty sure he got juniored over his list wars last year, so I'm not surprised he won't update the OP on the Xbox side.

From like 600 posts ago here are some of the Xbox games missing:

Retail games:
Zoo Tycoon (also on 360)
Kinect Sports Rivals
Project Spark (also on 360 and PC)
Fantasia Music Evolved (also on 360)
Ori and the Blind Forest (also on 360 and PC)
Screamride (also on 360)
State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition

F2P:
Happy Wars (also on 360 and PC)
Smite (also on PC)
Neverwinter (confirmed for Xbox and PC only at this time)

Games not yet officially announced:
Twisted Pixel New IP
Lionhead Team 2 New IP
Press Play New Game
LiftLondon New F2P IPs 1, 2, 3, 4 (on "connected" platforms)

Digital games (when you end up adding this category):
Powerstar Golf
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle (also on 360 and PC)
Max and The Curse of Brotherhood (also on PC)
Super Time Force (also on 360 and PC)
Dance Central Spotlight
Dark Dreams Don't Die (D4)
Below (also on PC)

StuBurns

Banned
The MS/Bungie split was kind of a win win I think.

People say that MS owned the brand, and could have kept them and forced them to make Halo, which is kind of true, they could have retained 'Bungie' forever. But Bungie staff are just on contracts. They all could have bailed and pulled a Respawn. MS got cash for the brand name, and they got two more Halos from the studio. Bungie got independence, and two nice paying gigs to get the ball rolling while they could put enough of the Destiny pitch together to get a publisher.

It worked out pretty much the best it could have for both parties.

MS secured TR as exclusive because they saw how incompetent SE were in handling the series. They think they can do better.

I think you've just saved Son of Sam and his talking dog from 24 hours of Certain Lol in this thread.

It's simple really.

SE have no idea how to handle TR, as we saw last gen. MS clearly see this and think that they could do better. So MS obviously opened talks with Square for the next game, and offered there assistance.

Handle TR better by blocking its release on the best selling console.

Just thought I'd give an explanation, I don't want to come across as ignorant to the wider Gaf community.

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

kpaadet

MS secured TR as exclusive because they saw how incompetent SE were in handling the series. They think they can do better. I want them to do the same with the likes of Capcom and Eidios.

I'm sick to my back teeth with the way SE treat Eidios and with the way Capcom are handled by incompetent shareholders.

Da fuq am I reading? I'm sure MS will send over all their technical fellows to teach Crystal Dynamics about gamedesign. The only thing MS will teach SE is how to throw huge sums of money at a marketing firm, they're pretty good at that.

Hubble

Maybe someone else should create a new thread that will keep both sides accurate and a mod can close this one down? It's kind of weird nobody will update the title.

Agree. If anyone wants to do a thread like this, it should be purely fact based and everything be included. It's weird the OP wont update the thread and that GAF is allowing this as it should be subjective. A thread inaccurate like this by an op is like spewing poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom