• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We Held PS4 Exclusives Back from E3 2017

kyser73

Looks like I have to repeat myself:

Sony first party have an announced release roster strong enough for 1 AAA release per quarter for the next 2.5 years.

But apparently because this E3 largely focused on previously revealed titles this means Sony are:

Complacent
Resting on their laurels
Plateauing creatively

This as opposed 'There will definitely be some new first party IPs in 2-3 years...during which time Sony will have released at least 10 AAA games

Yeah, this year's lackluster E3 sure means Sony is in trouble.

I mean, it's a lesson Sony needs to learn and make better, going forward. Latest interviews with Shawn and Jim has them deflecting some of the criticisms of their E3 showcase.

I mean, unlike most people I don't think the pre-show was a bad idea, but the way they handled and set expectations for the pre-show so late definitely meant people skipped on it.

But otherwise, I agree. I mean, in an alternate universe, a different Sony could've arranged this announcement setup:

2016: God of War, Days Gone, Death Stranding
2017: SotC, TLOU Part II, Spider-man

Had they gone with the above, they would've had two consecutive killer E3s, at the cost of a big PSX megaton.

yurinka

So, it's ok for Sony to say "we held back stuff". But when MS/Phil Spencer says that, he's lying?

giphy.gif
We know that Sony has already announced games that weren't at E3 (TLOU2, Death Stranding, Dreams...), that they have at least a couple of big exclusives to be announced (Sucker Punch, From) and a few games higly anticipated by their fans because may be announced soones by them even if not exclusive (Resident Evil 2 Remake, DMC5, CTR remake, Shenmue I&II HD...), but because these brands are more or less attached to PS. Plus cool console exclusive/timed console exclusive indies.

They have enought stuff coming (or highly rumored to be coming) to make another E3 conference, maybe even better than the one we saw.

With MS we think we already saw all their cards. Unless they tease a Halo 6 / Gears 5 to be released late 2019/2020.

In addition to this, if we look back we see that Sony released way more huge games per year because they have more 1st/2nd party teams, so we believe it will continue, and may even increase with 3rd party exclusives -at least Japanese ones- due to the market share.

Top Bottom