• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We Held PS4 Exclusives Back from E3 2017

Shin

Banned
God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Horizon DLC, GT Sport, Spider-Man, Knack 2, Matterfall, That's You, Hidden Agenda, Shadow of the Colossus, The Impatient, Moss, StarChild, Everybody's Golf, Crash.

They showed a ton of games, including good VR support. That's not complacent, especially when you look all the stuff they already released in the past six months or so. They have more shows this years, so of course they're holding back some titles.

Pre-show shouldn't be forgotten, it was was kinda crazy how many games they had shown during that.

Orca

Sony announced more new exclusives at E3 for their console than Nintendo for the Switch or MS for the Xbox, but they're the one that barely brought anything new?

To be fair five of the games people are touting as new exclusives are those 'use your phone as a controller' titles - it's not like they're all God of War.

The God

I'd rather have a weak E3 conference than no exclusive games to play for 3 quarters of each year.

Seriously, released games paint an entirely different picture of who is complacent. And having seen Sony's past behavior at other conferences (especially PSX), I have no doubt they have plenty more to show us.
Why's it gotta be either or? They can't have both a good E3 and a strong first half of the year?
Sony announced more new exclusives at E3 for their console than Nintendo for the Switch or MS for the Xbox, but they're the one that barely brought anything new?

How are they being complacent if they showed more exclusives than anyone else? What exactly do they have to do in order to not be complacent?
I've already said they did a great job representing PSVR, and the Playlink stuff was neat, but in regards to AAA console games they fell flat as hell. It doesn't get more complacent than bringing last years lineup with no release dates and no new content. Their best announcements were a multiplat and a remake.
I don't believe you can't see the full picture. You must be trolling by now.

What's the full picture? They had a bad E3. That's not trolling

So, it's ok for Sony to say "we held back stuff". But when MS/Phil Spencer says that, he's lying?

giphy.gif

Why's it gotta be either or? They can't have both a good E3 and a strong first half of the year?

I've already said they did a great job representing PSVR, and the Playlink stuff was neat, but in regards to AAA console games they fell flat as hell. It doesn't get more complacent than bringing last years lineup with no release dates and no new content. Their best announcements were a multiplat and a remake.

What's the full picture? They had a bad E3. That's not trolling

Microsofts only new announcement was Forza 7 and outside of yet another Yoshi and another Kirby game, Nintendo showed off a bunch of logos. The announcement slate from all three parties was weak as hell this year.

So, it's ok for Sony to say "we held back stuff". But when MS/Phil Spencer says that, he's lying?

giphy.gif

You know why this is the case.

I guess I just don't understand what difference it makes whether it happens at E3 or between Gamescom and PSX. As long as they actually bring new major announcements over the rest of the year, why does this matter?

So, it's ok for Sony to say "we held back stuff".
Yes, because they have tons of content and several shows in a year.

Skeeter49

Microsofts only new announcement was Forza 7 and outside of yet another Yoshi and another Kirby game, Nintendo showed off a bunch of logos. The announcement slate from all three parties was weak as hell this year.

The new Microsoft reveals

Forza 7
Ori 2
Super Lucky's Tale

While that isn't much more impressive, it's still more than what Sony did, and the 4 AAA First Party games Microsoft showed all had release dates or early 2018 as the release window, while Sony at best had 2 release windows with GoW and Spiderman, one being late 2018, everything else didn't have a date. It's not much better, but it's more impressive, and it's becoming a problem that Sony can't commit to release dates. Spiderman gets delayed that's a 2019 game, that's a problem, God of War gets delayed, they have nothing coming out early 2018.

One thing I think Sony did do better, was the quality of the First Party games we know about. Even if they didn't commit to dates, almost all of them interested me in some way. A lot of Microsoft's First Party stuff felt underwhelming in the show, Sea of Thieves and Forza were really the only ones to get proper showings, and if Microsoft didn't have the timed exclusives/ third party support, I don't think it'd be debatable Sony had a better show, at least for me personally anyway.

maxcriden

Nintendo also announced two new retail 3DS games. Kirby games have sold 35 million copies so I don't think it's a small announcement. Mario and Rabbids also counts I think as a full game announcement.

To be fair five of the games people are touting as new exclusives are those 'use your phone as a controller' titles - it's not like they're all God of War.

Sure, butt hey're sitll new games. I think the PS4 is at the point where the PS2 was when Sony started to spread its wings to try to bring in different people. With the PS2 they released stuff like Singstar and Eyetoy. Things they may not necessarily appeal to a hardcore gamer, but something that had a space because they'd managed to get the platform cheap enough that people were willing to check it out.

Sony's been upfront about how they aren't going to announce release dates anymore until they're confident that they can hit them. They probably could give you dates for God of War or Spider-Man right now, but what's the reaction going to be when they have to make a blog post apologizing for having to push it back? And all of their announced games from previous years that were shown did see new content. Days Gone looks like a proper gamer rather than a tech demo, we saw a much better example of GoW's combat, and got a lengthy gameplay demo of Spider-Man.

As far as AAA announcements go, what PSX showed last year is that Sony is changing their mentality about what can be announced at different shows. You'd kinda expect something like TLoUPII to be announced at E3 rather than PSX. And earlier in the generation we saw them announce Gran Turismo Sport at PGW. What it shows is that Sony no longer views E3 as the end all be all of gaming shows. They will naturally spread things out more than others because they do more shows and need to do that. There's a good possibility that they'll put on four shows this year. Does it matter if you get your Sucker Punch game announced at PSX rather than E3 this year?

I guess I just don't understand what difference it makes whether it happens at E3 or between Gamescom and PSX. As long as they actually bring new major announcements over the rest of the year, why does this matter?

I agree, we are past E3 being the only event. Spreading out the announcements is not a bad thing. Gamers are aware that there is more than E3 and with social media and Youtube, creators don't need to wait for one event to announce new games.

Besides Sony has a lot of games still being released in 2017, has anyone seen what has been released so far? Holy moly.

One of these companies has been releasing a steady stream of games. One of these companies has revealed new games at multiple conferences every year. But yeah, they're the same.

Skeeter49

giphy.gif

I mean traditionally Microsoft doesn't reveal games outside of E3, with the exception of The Game Awards, so if Microsoft held stuff back, unless they have a Xbox One X Launch event, or a Gamescom/ PGW presser, we might not see much until E3 2018.

Sony has TGS, while it's clear Sony isn't going to bring any first party games there as PSX will get better exposure, we'll get a lot of third party support there, and PSX which had 3 new First Party Games, which is pretty big. It's more likely we'll see those games held back later this year. Now that story might change late this year and we get no First Party reveals from Sony, then there'll be a price to pay.

Should be obvious, shouldn't it? One company has a terrible lineup, the other doesn't. So yes, people ask more questions of the one with the terrible lineup.

And that's before you take into account the fact that Sony has TGS and PSX coming up.

Forza 7
Ori 2
Super Lucky's Tale

While that isn't much more impressive, it's still more than what Sony did, and the 4 AAA First Party games Microsoft showed all had release dates or early 2018 as the release window, while Sony at best had 2 release windows with GoW and Spiderman, one being late 2018, everything else didn't have a date. It's not much better, but it's more impressive, and it's becoming a problem that Sony can't commit to release dates. Spiderman gets delayed that's a 2019 game, that's a problem, God of War gets delayed, they have nothing coming out early 2018.

Sony always has something for the first half of the year so that should not be a problem .
Plus this year they also have whole bunch of stuff for the end of the year .
Yes they are smaller title but they will add up , don't see why people worry about Sony game wise.

There's no denying that Sony's first-party announcements from a AAA standpoint is weak at this year's E3.

To their credit, given that the new announcement they made isn't a 2019 game, this does mean that they're not extending themselves too much...

But we're definitely seeing the backlash from last year's E3 where Sony announced 1 game more than their E3 average ( Death Stranding would've been an amazing closer announcement, Spidey was overkill ), and where TLOU2's announcement could've been reserved for E3.

Had Spidey been reserved till this E3, that would've made a big difference in how they're viewed, and wouldn't had weakened E3 2016 much, given that GoW, Days Gone & Death Stranding were big reveals regardless.

The God

God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Horizon DLC, GT Sport, Spider-Man, Knack 2, Matterfall, That's You, Hidden Agenda, Shadow of the Colossus, The Impatient, Moss, StarChild, Everybody's Golf, Crash.

They showed a ton of games, including good VR support. That's not complacent, especially when you look all the stuff they already released in the past six months or so. They have more shows this years, so of course they're holding back some titles.
the VR support was good. The rest are games we've been seeing since 2015 and they still don't have release dates

Nintendo had Mario Rabbids and at least confirmed Pokemon and Metroid Switch. That's better than what Sony had.

It may not matter when in the year they reveal stuff, but my point is their E3 was bad. This "hold back" thing isn't telling me they'll have better shows later. It's telling me they're running out of content.

It may not matter when in the year they reveal stuff, but my point is their E3 was bad. This "hold back" thing isn't telling me they'll have better shows later. It's telling me they're running out of content.
The bold doesn't make sense. How are they running out of content if you're acknowledging they'll have stuff to reveal later in the year?

I think Detroit is the only one we saw in 2015 so that confused me.

Everybody's Golf, GT Sport and Matterfall were announced in 2015 too but they're all coming this year (EG and Matterfall even have release dates).

Meanwhile, Shadow of the Colossus, Horizon DLC, That's You and Hidden Agenda were literally announced at E3.

TB12

Banned
you know what:

"Peoples that dont watch the preshow" = Sony got no games...

"peoples that watch the preshow" = Dammm Sony got too many gamezz....

I watch the preshow and you know what, dammm Sony got too many gamezz. And dont forget there is still TGS, Europe thing and PSX. So no wonder Sony hold thing up at E3

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._seeks_an_experienced_Graphics_Programmer.php
I wonder how far along their unannounced project is if they are looking for a senior graphics programmer now.
SP not being at E3 was by far the biggest disappointment. Still can't believe they didn't show when their last game came out in March of 2014...

you know what:

"Peoples that dont watch the preshow" = Sony got no games...

"peoples that watch the preshow" = Dammm Sony got too many gamezz....

I watch the preshow and you know what, dammm Sony got too many gamezz. And dont forget there is still TGS, Europe thing and PSX. So no wonder Sony hold thing up at E3
well that's Sony's fault. If you have games people wanna see, put them in the fucking show.

OmegaDL50

I'm baffled that people expect Sony to reveal everything they have at E3 just to have nothing to show for Gamescom, TGS, or even their own PSX event?

Spreading out the stuff they have to show across several different events isn't out of the norm.

When Sony shows the same stuff they already revealed at E3 at another event such as Gamescom or PSX, you lose the right to complain for saying there is nothing new to see at those events.

Booked my flights and hotel for PSX. Since I didn't get to go to E3, I had to. Man, I just have a feeling this year's PSX is gonna be a crazy showcase.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

giphy.gif

I for one respect Phil for this. He is actively refusing to show these AAA titles so far away from the release of the console, it isn't worth mentioning. Unless they don't exist, in which case, he has bought enough time to buy companies to make them exist or can continually say that they exist without proof. Whichever works out in the end.

sense

Did we watch the same E3 conference? It was the definition of complacent.
You do realize that the majority of the new titles ms showed were multiplatform titles right. Sony could have went for 90 minutes and showed a couple of new multiplatform titles and indies to bring up the number if they wanted to but they wanted to focus on the big stuff and leave the smaller stuff for psx.

giphy.gif

Sony has actually been delivering so people see a precedent.

This was only the first E3 where I felt like Microsoft has a steady stream of first-party content in the pipeline for XB1. If they can have a Q1/Q2 like Sony just did, then I'll feel more comfortable about their output.

Forza 7
Ori 2
Super Lucky's Tale

One thing I think Sony did do better, was the quality of the First Party games we know about. Even if they didn't commit to dates, almost all of them interested me in some way. A lot of Microsoft's First Party stuff felt underwhelming in the show, Sea of Thieves and Forza were really the only ones to get proper showings, and if Microsoft didn't have the timed exclusives/ third party support, I don't think it'd be debatable Sony had a better show, at least for me personally anyway.

Forza was showed before E3.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
well that's Sony's fault. If you have games people wanna see, put them in the fucking show.

They had tons of games out there this time, and they have had tons all throughout this year. There's no real argument to be had in any measure about them having a lackluster lineup.

Do games stop existing if they're not shown at E3 ?
I don't have time to look up every game that is shown beforehand though. It just doesn't make to leave out quality titles that release in 2017 like Ni No Kuni out of E3's show.

I for one respect Phil for this. He is actively refusing to show these AAA titles so far away from the release of the console, it isn't worth mentioning. Unless they don't exist, in which case, he has bought enough time to buy companies to make them exist or can continually say that they exist without proof. Whichever works out in the end.
I think you're drinking too much of the kool-aid breh. He's been in charge for close to 4 years now, and what we do know is that he cancelled some of their games on top of shutting down studios. The only difference is buying up Coalition so they can pump more Gears, Halo and Forza. In terms of software, Phil has been nothing more than the creepy car salesman.

As someone who keeps up with games announcements intimately, it being pre-show/show/post-show, etc doesn't bother me, but it is clear that Sony's got a lot of learning to do in terms of optics and brand management there.

The entire one-hour pre-show segment, given that it's the first time Sony showed so much content there, and it wasn't well-marketed that there'd be a ton of content before the actual show starts makes people disassociate the pre-show with the show, even though in effect it's a 2 hour conference where first-hour is traditional and 2nd hour is theater.

What Sony should've done, was... have a "Pre-E3 Sony Direct", a few days before the actual conference, where they showed off the stuff that was in the pre-show.

The God

You do realize that the majority of the new titles ms showed were multiplatform titles right. Sony could have went for 90 minutes and showed a couple of new multiplatform titles and indies to bring up the number if they wanted to but they wanted to focus on the big stuff and leave the smaller stuff for psx.

I never said Microsoft had a good show though? Both Sony and MS were 5/10 at best

pixelation

Should be obvious, shouldn't it? One company has a terrible lineup, the other doesn't. So yes, people ask more questions of the one with the terrible lineup.

And that's before you take into account the fact that Sony has TGS and PSX coming up.

Agreed, i can fully trust in Sony because they've shown time and time again that they always bring it (the games), Microsoft on the other hand...

Top Bottom