• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really like EA (plus the way they treat their staff) and what they do to some of my once favoourite games/develoepers so I'm glad about this. Well done Sony - sticking it to someone who puts money way ahead of any other priority!
SO WRONG!!!

maxiell

People who were interested in the PS4 and the service and thought the service was only exclusive for a timed period may now switch to getting an Xbox One.

People will switch their console for some year old EA games, demos of new ones, and a 10 percent discount?

I'd personally prefer to have discounts on EA games offered through PS+. I don't have a problem with people who would rather subscribe to EA's service and think it offers good value, but pretending it wouldn't affect PS+ offerings is silly. Of course it would.

I don't buy many EA games, so this doesn't affect me much. I do have an Xbox One, but I won't be using the service on that platform either. EA makes 1 or 2 games a year that I must have, and those aren't the games that will be included in their Vault when they launch, so the service becomes useless unless I want older titles, or want to buy digitally, which I do not.

geomon

I guess we'll all see eventually if this was a good idea or not. Personally, I think Sony made the right decision here.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If Microsoft wanted to put out a Halo game on Wii, but Nintendo said "we rejected the offer because we think our customers wouldn't like Halo", you would praise Nintendo's decision?
You're skipping way ahead here. First there'd have to be enough true demand from customers for "choice" in this industry to make MS even consider making Halo for Wii in the first place. If Nintendo were still active in such a wildly different marketplace, I'd imagine they wouldn't be as likely to turn away 3rd party content as they sometimes seem to be currently.

But, you know, this market's customers are plenty fine with a variety of restrictions on their choices that make it so answering the question above is completely moot and entirely hypothetical.

Bgamer90

Banned
Egh, they've nothing to loose, and this clears things up. The service will do very little if anything to improve X1 sales, so it's not like Sony is suddenly going to start loosing a ton of sales.

What's to say it won't improve XB1 sales? If MS greatly advertises this then I could see it helping XB1 NPD sales at least.

And no, it's not going to greatly hurt the PS4 but it was an unnecessary statement to make that could impact (sports) gamers who were previously set on getting a PS4.

People will switch their console for some year old EA games, demos of new ones, and a 10 percent discount?

Yep. A lot of "Sports gamer people". Already seen a few cases of it happening.

Been thinking of reasons why Sony might be reluctant to allow this ( at least at this stage). People saying they're being anti-consumer by denying choice are, IMO, not thinking things through, merely knee-jerking. Sony aren't likely to deprive users of a service that might benefit the ecosystem as a whole, therefore we have to look for the potential for harm.

i. Firstly it obviously competes with and potentially devalues ps+ (you'd have to think EA games would be less likely to become available to plus, or potentially they could be even more outdated versions of the sports titles).

ii. End user support. For the tiny fraction of the fee Sony would receive, they'd be expected to manage the purchase and delivery as with any digital purchase, but the fact that it's not just a single transaction for a single item and rather the support of a yearly or monthly subscription service, opens the door to many more potential issues.
Sony would be the first point of call for end user support when anything went wrong (and with ea/origin on top of ps+, that might not be trivial). Reading the many threads on GAF, I'm sure Sony's CS support lines are busy enough as is regarding the various issues that are thrown up with with their own ps+ without generating more with an extra layer of potential pitfalls on top. There would no doubt be grey areas - problems where Sony think it's an EA issue, EA think it's a Sony issue. Not appetising.

iii. It's not just EA - you have to think further ahead. Other publishers are likely to expect to be able to be given the chance to offer a competing (but maybe not even necessarily that similar) service for their own titles. This would not only multiply the effects of the above concerns but, thinking it through a bit more, you'd have to factor in each publisher's competing service's rules, regulations and nuances... and you are now presenting an even more complex problem for Sony CS.

Taking this further, it's not difficult to imagine the potential for a sea of confusion customer-side when Johnny Gamer expects certain things of one service that is actually only a part of a rival service he also subscribes to. This would only compound with every new service added. All customers would go directly to Sony to air their grievances and have their minds set at ease. Those CS staff are going to spend the next few years in and out of training courses like an mcse.

iii. Having to set up an auto-renewal with a credit card held on file. Sony don't really want to go there, do they? And that Johnny Gamer guy - what if he forgets to cancel and the service auto-renews - Sony CS have to deal with enough "my dog bought COD Ghosts when it scratched its arse on my DS4 help me please!" kind of gripes as it is.

So those were some possible reasons are why I reckon Sony isn't keen to want to walk this path, there are likely many more I can't comprehend not being in a position to understand. It's more understandable why Microsoft, struggling as they appear to be to hang on to the coat tails of ps4, are more open to a roll of the dice with their comfortable bedfellows in this extending of an unprecedented relationship
;-)

The current setup with ps+ is actually the best for the consumer in my view. Sony is the platform holder - they have their store and their services. Keeping that simple and uniform for customers is key. Having ps+ with the potential for any and all publishers competing for exposure through this single subscription service is true competition between rival publishers and it keeps things dead simple for the end user. No nested bullshit.

Several "competing" publisher-exclusive services would appear to me to be be anti-competitive and funnel gamers into a more fractured and uncertain gaming-as-a-service future.

Away from Sony and on a personal level - the TOS on the EA site reads significantly differently to a few random EA spokespersons' comments I've seen quotes in this and the other thread over the past 24 hours (regarding expiration of titles and purchases made using the 10% discount). There's ambiguity there. Tweets and e-mails to gaming sites aren't good enough - the ToS needs to be edited to reassure. It's entirely reasonable to expect EA to stick to the letter of their TOS and not some quote given to gaming Website X or a tweet from some guy who might no longer even work for EA any longer. EA don't really have the gravitas to ensure faith in their future generosity or ability to play fair.

The discount thing is thrown in there as a deal clincher. At 10% it is fairly measly vs the actual retail price paid for physical copies (here in UK at least) and for it to have much benefit as a DLC discount the user would have to be a serious content-hoover, and I can't see that very niche kind of consumer being too thrifty. The time-limited game trials some 120 hours before release I can see appealing to a hardcore minority hell-bent on getting their hands on EA's latest offerings as soon as humanly possible.

great post

quoting so more people see it

Sony lets tons of competing video apps on PS4 because they know people want it, despite it cannibalizing Video Unlimited sales.

I feel like there's more to the story here.

GeneralArrow

Neo Member
I don't really like EA (plus the way they treat their staff) and what they do to some of my once favoourite games/develoepers so I'm glad about this. Well done Sony - sticking it to someone who puts money way ahead of any other priority!
SO WRONG!!!
Sadly we can't really argue that point, EA employes are treated extremly well and it's ranked usually in one of the best places to work on a regular basis. Jos Hendrick and I chat all the time on twitter as well and he seems to really enjoy being at Bioware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
7 Years from now when everyone is complaining about having to get an Activision+ subscription to be able to download an exclusive COD map, and when Square(if they're even around by then) locks story missions behind their specific subscription, I will look back on this thread and laugh.

People seem so short sighted in what this could mean for the industry. No doubt Sony doesnt like this because it conflicts with their own services, but I can still definitely see where this ends up. Of course it looks like a great deal now, no doubt its not a bad one(if all you play are EA games), but the moment these companies get the chance that will all turn on its head. Too bad the average consumer, and many gamers in this thread are too short sighted to see that.

This is the future anyhow. PS Now (and PS+ with some extent), EA Access, whatever it might appear meanwhile. The music has gone in that direction, the movies have gone in that direction, it's just a matter of time. This now isn't some noble fight against this kind of future, it's just a fight on who's getting the bigger pie slice.

This argument is so weak. If the EA offer is a shit deal, consumers would respond by not buying in. Sony didn't do this to protect anyone.

The fact that Sony felt they needed to make a statement tells you everything you need to know about this. They felt the need to defend themselves, and they chose to put the spin on it that it was about protecting people from big bad EA.
I'm not arguing much, just pointing out a big difference between the two services.

Fuchsdh

So here's how I see this.

A subscription service of this is an incredible value, that being said it doesn't look like it includes DLC. Which means, it would be bare bones games. Not sure if it's such a deal if you have to buy 60 dollars worth of DLC. Here's what this service is really designed to do. I read through the EA statement and found the catch.

http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ea-access-on-xbox-one

It's put right before our eyes in plane marketing speak highlighted in bold, they're trying to make the games cheap so they can sell you additional content. Which isn't bad, but let me ask you fine folks this. If this becomes a norm, then how many other companies will be releasing this type of service with 5 dollar game subscription and 60 dollars with of extra content. Is that how much these companies really value there games at? Another question and statement. This seems to be a bit of a future concept. EA can sell you a Digital Exclusive game on this service with Micro Transactions and make way more money off of it. How much of the game to they actually need to have if the subscription service is only 5 dollars a month or 30 dollars a year? Half the game? Less than half the game? This is a worrying trend on EA. What seems to be a value, really becomes another way to shove services down our throats that we don't want or need. It's true value remains to be seen. It's not a bad move for EA to put them in a good like, but there's hidden costs here and an ulterior motive.

Awesome Value– Besides the great games in The Vault, EA Access members will save 10% on purchases of EA digital content for Xbox One offered through the Xbox Games Store. From full digital-download titles like the upcoming Dragon Age™ Inquisition or NHL®15, to additional membership services such as Battlefield 4 Premium or even FIFA Ultimate Team points, it’s all 10% off for members.*
The real goal of this program ^

So is Sony really being anti consumer here even if the price of PS Now or have they just spotted this trend and are looking out for the quality of games so they aren't beaten back and have to redesign like Nintendo did?

Of course that's the goal, but haven't you noticed that's the whole point of GWG and PS+ as well? Give away games to make money off the DLC. This is Sony protecting their bottom line, not gamers.

What's to say it won't improve XB1 sales? If MS greatly advertises this then I could see it helping XB1 NPD sales at least.

And no, it's not going to greatly hurt the PS4 but it was an unnecessary statement to make that could impact (sports) gamers who were previously set on getting a PS4.

We'll see. You never know but I doubt it'll do anything to help the X1's position. They gave away free Fifa, and free TF and that didn't do anything. Doubt this will do much.

Did you see Sony trying to protect anyone from that? No, they've embraced it wholeheartedly. They were even big proponents of the online pass last gen.

What choice did they have? MS was in position to push those things last gen because of their dominance in NA. Sony is now in the position to push their own things. Paid online was bad, but like I said earlier, at the very least online is much better on PS4 (finally on par with XBL).

People comparing this to PS+ make me laugh. PS+ is a flat fee I pay to play online and they throw me games EVERY month for two of my platforms PS4 and Vita.

EA gives you 10% off digital games a 5 day trial window and from what I can tell year old games whenever they feel like putting them up correct?

They do not offer a new game every single month? or did I miss that?

Nzyme32

lol Sony dun goofed. Should have just shut their mouths and let people assume this was a MS money hat deal.

#NotforthePlayers #ArrogantSonyisBack!

Well it's not like that would have made it any better. The truth would come out eventually. While it's good that Sony at least spoke up quickly with the growing questions about why it isn't on the platform, the statement they have given is largely questionable. In any case decision is more tailored to suit their interests than giving the players a say in the matter. However it will be interesting to see how this decision effects EA, Xbox and other publisher/dev decisions in future and how such services evolve

Navy Bean

All the games on one platform on a subscription versus one publisher's games on a subscription. Big difference.

If you want to start paying $5 for EA, $5 for Activision, $5 for Ubisoft in addition to what you pay for Gold/PS+ - then be my guest. Some of us don't want that and are happy Sony put their foot down and said "no". That's the only thing that saved us from the DRM debacle at the beginning of this gen. If Sony had signed on with that (as many suspected) - then no amount of #nodrm internet outrage would have stopped it.

I'm not claiming Sony are the good guys here: but in this case their own self interest has coincided with the interest of gamers who don't want games on a subscription based future.

The problem with this argument, and most on here defending Sony, is that PS+ is a subscription based gaming service. And most gamers love PS+. Now, EA wants to offer their own service at a cheaper price and suddenly the sky is falling and subscription based services are evil (unless they are offered by the infallible Sony, of course). It's just twisted logic. There is simply no good argument that I've read to justify Sony not offering this service.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can we drop the "choice" canard like it isn't somehow perfectly natural in this particular market for platform holders to dictate choice at a very granular level? We are all still talking about the services and products that come to support *fixed* hardware platforms that don't get updated for 5-10 years, right?

OF COURSE Sony is dictating what is best for their customers. It's inherent in how this industry has worked for decades and you, me and everyone else who buys into these consoles and their games have endorsed that. The very nature of the market has been about the platform owners restricting or allowing choice in a way that enables their individual, *totally proprietary* platforms to flourish as they see fit.
Of course, but I provided a specific example of something within the digital marketplace as an example, not just saying that a broad spectrum of choice exists in our world and Sony exists somewhere on that spectrum.

N.Domixis

Banned
well, say goodbye to certain games on PS+ if EA gets it's way. other publishers will follow suit and we're left with first party games and indie games.
jbo7fXR6wVWzIx.jpg

this is a slippery slope people.
Ps4 is too far ahead to ignore now. The gap is increasing and nothing will slow it down until probably halo5. Sony has the whole world to their advantage. If they ignore ps4, they will miss out on sales from everywhere except us and uk.

How are people arguing the value isn't there for this service? Maybe for you individually it isn't but for many others it is.

If I subscribe for 5 dollars on September 18th I get access to Battlefield 4, Madden, FIFA, and Peggle 2. Maybe you've already played those games but I haven't. Hell even if you do play those games you could sell em to GameStop and get more than 5 dollars worth of credit.

So I sub for a second month. I've paid 10 bucks and gotten to extensively play 4 new games. Now I get 10% off Dragon Age which is a game I'd actually buy. That's 6 dollars off making the total I've paid for the sub only 4 dollars! AND I get the game 5 days early? AND its a full game which means I can run through the full game in the 5 day period and pay nothing? AND if I do buy the game my save crosses over for the trial?

And that's not worth 4 dollars? That's not good value? Bull fucking shit.

You're not guaranteed to be able to run through the whole game in that 5 day period. It could, and likely will, have progress blocked at a certain point in the game, until you buy the full thing. Many Demo's currently operate like this. You d/l the full game but progress is blocked until you purchase it. Then you download an unlock key and have access to the full game.

The largest thing to be weary of in this case is that it's 100% up to EA's discretion as to what titles to add and when. Their sports titles are largely unwanted by the time the next years title comes out. That means singleplayer and local co-op are fine but online will largely be ghost towns. At least in these cases however, you can almost be certain that they'll add the sports games every year. Their non-sports games, however, are completely unknown.

If a game like Dragon Age becomes incredibly popular and continues to move units well after launch, they have no reason to offer it for the service and have made no guarantees that would force them to. This will almost assuredly result games not being added until their sales take a steep decline. At that point they add the title to the service, depending on subscribers to give the game a shot because "I'm paying for the service, so why not?" The strategy here is to hopefully hook the player on games they may not have otherwise even tried.. and entice them to buy the DLC. So even when the base game stops selling, they've built an install base to move DLC. For a game like BF4, this is a big deal as the more DLC Map Packs they offer, the more the playerbase becomes segmented. It's a slightly smaller deal for a game like Dragon Age, and it doesn't matter at all for Sports games really.

GeneralArrow

Neo Member
Of course that's the goal, but haven't you noticed that's the whole point of GWG and PS+ as well? Give away games to make money off the DLC.

True, but bare with me. I believe Sony realizes that unlike EA it actually has a quality to uphold with it's games. Imagine if for TLOU they had packs like a brick pack for 2.99 that gave you 20 extra bricks. Something they could have easily done but didn't. If Sony started messing around with its big exclusives they would start to loose people. They tend to release bigger DLC at shorter intervals for there games. EA on the other hand...

All the games on one platform on a subscription versus one publisher's games on a subscription. Big difference.

If you want to start paying $5 for EA, $5 for Activision, $5 for Ubisoft in addition to what you pay for Gold/PS+ - then be my guest. Some of us don't want that and are happy Sony put their foot down and said "no". That's the only thing that saved us from the DRM debacle at the beginning of this gen. If Sony had signed on with that (as many suspected) - then no amount of #nodrm internet outrage would have stopped it.

I'm not claiming Sony are the good guys here: but in this case their own self interest has coincided with the interest of gamers who don't want games on a subscription based future.

very good point. i for one am not interested in paying a subscription fee just for ea games because i dont buy very many ea games anyone so it would be of no value to me but if lets say bf4 was included in ps+ then i would play it

People have wildly overblown expectations of the EA offer it seems. Will be interesting to revisit in a couple of months.

Wildly overblown expectations of what it will be providing? Or wildly overblown expectations of how this will hurt the industry?

I think both.

Sounds good in theory.

Then in 2015 you have:

PS+ $5 a month
Ubisoft Uberservice $6 a month
EA Access $9 a month (price rise)
EA Online Access $5 a month (online play for EA titles)
Activision COD Pass $10 a month
Activision Destiny Pass $12 a month
Activision Do we make other games? Probably Pass $7 a month
Square Us too Pass $40 a month, $20 extra for games.

And so on.

Personally I'm happy for it to be all under one umbrella, that you have to pay anyway to pay online. Otherwise things could get stupid very fast... and lets face it, with these companies involved you know that it will.

Pretty much. I think it's better to nip this kinda stuff in the bud or it could get really stupid, really fast.

Kiant

Whether it's a mistake will come down to how many game's they add to the service and how old they are. Let's face it, once Fifa 15 come's out, no one will be playing 14. Like the other's have said earlier in the thread, if this does take off and then the other publishers start following suit, then fml. Granted Sony should have allowed choice to the consumers, but general consumers are not always a good gauge of how I want something to behave, look at the ios/android market - EA claiming Dungeon Keeper is too innovative etc.

Also the discount to inquisition in the UK will mean jack shit, Inquisition is like £64.99 digitally, I can get it retail for around £40. Sure in America where digital prices are actually fair it might be worth it, but in Europe? no chance.

Metfanant

Did you see Sony trying to protect anyone from that? No, they've embraced it wholeheartedly. They were even big proponents of the online pass last gen.
Which they have since done away with...and even have a first party title that gives free DLC map packs...

I'm not defending Sony here...but bringing up online passes from last gen...or allowing DLC is silly talk...

Are you honestly suggesting that Sony should tell activision that CoD DLC is not allowed on PlayStation platforms because its anti consumer?

People who were interested in the PS4 and the service and thought the service was only exclusive for a timed period may now switch to getting an Xbox One.
Now where's that chalkboard again :p

Once more, if enough consumers demand the service, I don't doubt that Sony will cave... But that's going to need to be seen in the coming months. It also depends on if EA starts locking things away from PlayStation owners due to content being only available for subscribers (tinfoil warning), which may or may not happen. I can tell you, though... if EA generates tons of exclusive content for subscribers that PS4 owners couldn't access because of Sony's refusal, Sony would have a lot of pressure on them to offer the service.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Other publishers will only do it if EA's service is successful, and it will only be successful if consumers CHOOSE to purchase the service. Consumer choice, a good thing
Sometimes consumer choice is a dubious badge of honor. Look at all the proprietary streaming services you have to set up accounts with now to view content that all otherwise used to default to Netflix. Is it better for the consumer to have to jump through thirty-some odd hoops to view the fullest library of content because companies got dollar signs in their eyes and ferreted away their content to their own special little corner, or was it better when they just had to have Netflix? Because that's exactly where this is headed if it's successful.

...Or, I should say, is painted over as successful convincingly enough. 'Cuz no matter how badly it starts, EA ain't gonna give you that honest evaluation up front. They're gonna tell everyone it's going great to keep drumming up subscriptions, either until the lie becomes truth or until they've bled too much money to go on with it.

ElRenoRaven

People comparing this to PS+ make me laugh. PS+ is a flat fee I pay to play online and they throw me games EVERY month for two of my platforms PS4 and Vita.

EA gives you 10% off digital games a 5 day trial window and from what I can tell year old games whenever they feel like putting them up correct?

Nobody knows how often they're going to be putting them up. You have to figure it will naturally be more limited then PSN plus of games for gold since it's one publisher and their games on one console. XBL and PSN can naturally pull from a larger selection of games. That's probably one reason EA priced it at 30 for a year instead of 60 which was smart on their part.

The difference is anytime you don't like EA Access? Unsubscribe. Anytime you don't like ps+ "free" games of the month? Well you still have to subscribe if you want to play ps4 online

Gestault

I can't see how it's exactly like PS+ being only with one publisher.

If the limited scope of the library is a problem, then the service will do poorly, or the publisher can adjust the offerings. As I said, the business model is exactly like PS+, so I think it's fundamentally sound. If an offering can only exist in the absence of similar competition with different content offerings, then that's not a good sign.

The bulk of this program is along the same lines as paying up front for a membership discount for buying games you might be anyway. You pay X amount for a year, and everything you buy through it is 10% off. I don't understand why people object to that being available as an option. The company making games wants to control pricing for their products, including a membership to reward ongoing buyers. It worked for PS+, even before the PS4 implementation.

The problem with this argument, and most on here defending Sony, is that PS+ is a subscription based gaming service. And most gamers love PS+. Now, EA wants to offer their own service at a cheaper price and suddenly the sky is falling and subscription based services are evil (unless they are offered by the infallible Sony, of course). It's just twisted logic. There is simply no good argument that I've read to justify Sony not offering this service.

I'm not defending it but this is what I'm hearing.

EA service is for EA games.
PS+ is for all games.

Subscription services work when the content justify the value.

ObiDin

Im glad Sony decided to make the choice for their own selfish reasons(their bottom line). Because some consumers have made bad decisions for me in the past. Like the people that bought horse armor. Or paying 50$ (which later became 60$ and everybody just kept paying without any added benefits of the price hike) a year to use their own internet connection, to use p2p servers to play the game they already paid 60$ for.

Im glad those people now don't have a choice to make. Well they still have a choice if you don't like it, buy an Xbox One.

This whole publisher subscription model, is just a Pandora's box waiting to be opened.

How can you not see this?

tbm24

Ps4 is too far ahead to ignore now. The gap is increasing and nothing will slow it down until probably halo5. Sony has the whole world to their advantage. If they ignore ps4, they will miss out on sales from everywhere except us and uk.

Not really understanding this point. EA isn't going to suddenly stop releasing games on PS4. You just may not see them on PS+. Not seeing where EA is losing anything significant if they decided to do that.

Ur_momshere

Neo Member
Sony is just being defensive to Playstation Now. Why would they let, a new subscription service on their console, to cannibalize on their own service?

I think they did the right thing to issue a response. It shows they are focused on the console's image (free with PS+), plus it looks a little like another blow on Microsoft's face to me, due to the fact that their image looks like "more money to play" now.

driver116

Of course that's one area they will have to charge for, the infrastructure costs a lot of money to run/maintain.

What about F2P outside of paywall.

Yudoken

I don't like this approach of Sony.
EA is pretty big and this service is just starting and have a lot of potential to be a great value even when you already have PS+.
But they're probably allowing this sooner or later if people really want it.
Great move of MS to allowing this service!
It's like their first goal after a long time getting wrecked by Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom