• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida reacts to the "Nintendo PlayStation"

This thread is now about Reggie and his Pizza Hut career, lol.

It is always about the pizza's, nothing else

Ōkami

The only Nintendo exec that might've played on this and still is at Nintendo is Miyamoto.

Iwata was at HAL at the time, its unlikely he knew it existed back then, and the other big guys at Nintendo at the time (Yamauchi, Arakawa, Lincoln) are long gone as are Nintendo's hardware guys at the time Uemura and Satoru something (can't remember the name of the guy)

J-Skee

So Shu has played the Nintendo Play Station & the Gravity Rush sequel & God knows what else. What a privilege.

Salbug

Look, we always try to provide the best content available for our loyal consumers. If that meant a Playstation and Super Nintendo hybrid back in the day, I would have been fine with that.

Can you imagine the kind of PR spin he was giving customers at Pizza Hut?

"Fans don't like pineapple pizza because they haven't tried it yet."

-"But we ordered pepperoni."

"We know you want a traditional pepperoni. We hear you."

So in this industry, it's all about the ingredients. Ingredients drive pizzas. And we have seen this with over 50 years experience in this category.

We put out one high-quality pizza per generation. Contrast that with the yearly same-new pizzas that our competitors produce.

Angry fan: For being the president of Pizza Hut, you suck at eating pizzas, Reggie!

2b8.gif

jholmes

Ōkami;171184367 said:
The only Nintendo exec that might've played on this and still is at Nintendo is Miyamoto.

Genyo Takeda's on the board of directors, has been an employee since the '70s and is mainly a hardware guy, so he's the guy on Nintendo's end that I'd ask about it.

He didn't join Nintendo until 2003. He was likely with Procter and Gamble at the time. Even Iwata likely wouldn't know shit about the system, he was just a programmer at HAL at the time.

Yup, the SNES Play Station was in development during the Yamauchi/ Lincoln era of Nintendo. Iwata wouldn't know anything about it first hand. Myamoto probably does though.

Interesting part is that he played games on it.

I wonder if he meant that he played SNES games on it, or actual demos that were made for the CD ROM? The hardware must've been really different back then too.

TheJoRu

Ōkami;171184367 said:

Genyo Takeda?

Also, lol at all the Reggie "quotes". You could trademark his way of speaking, it's so distinct and recognisable.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Ōkami;171184367 said:

Iwata was at HAL at the time, its unlikely he knew it existed back then, and the other big guys at Nintendo at the time (Yamauchi, Arakawa, Lincoln) are long gone as are Nintendo's hardware guys at the time Uemura and Satoru something (can't remember the name of the guy)

SNES-CD was absolutley a Uemura thing and him being out of Nintendo is a good thing because it means he might actually talk about it someday.

Eiji Aonuma belonged to Uemura's old R&D2 division before jumping to the Zelda team; his first game as director, Marvelous, was conceived as a CD game: http://gosokkyu.com/post/102694408602/marvelous-mouhitotsu-no-takarajima-developer

hypotc

Can you imagine the kind of PR spin he was giving customers at Pizza Hut?

"Fans don't like pineapple pizza because they haven't tried it yet."

-"But we ordered pepperoni."

"We know you want a traditional pepperoni. We hear you."

Reggie Fils-Aime: "Current state of Pineapple Pizza isn't tasty."

"I haven't walked the floor, so I can't say in terms of what's on the floor today, but at least based on what I've seen to date, it's not tasty, and it's not social. It's just food"

"We lost our best chance to swallow the best developer at the time, dawn you Nintendo!"

They shouldn't have try to make Nintendo 3rd party, on their on system.

People keep mentioning this, is there a story that i don't know about a prototype version of Secret of Mana? :0

There sure is.

Secret of Mana was being developed for the SNES CD add-on. When Nintendo abruptly dropped the device, Square was forced to take a cleaver to the game and tear out a lot of content. Desperate to reach the Christmas deadline, the development and localization was rushed and Secret of Mana is lucky to end up as good as it did. This is supposed to be why Square dropped Nintendo like a bad habit when the PlayStation took over and ported all those SNES games to the PS1.

A lot of the story is apparently missing. There doesn't seem to be any acknowledged archive of the original game. It's one of those tragic gaming mysteries. Secret of Mana could have been the definitive RPG of the console, but instead it is heavily overshadowed by Chrono Trigger and has been abandoned in the past.

Top Bottom