• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Seventy70

My interest in this game slowly dwindled over the course of the demo the more button prompts and indicators came up. I would think one of the advantages of having a Spider-Man game is the potential in the degree of control and freedom of movement you would have.

The combat also seems to be very much in the Batman Arkham Asylum style unfortunately.

Same exact thoughts here. It kind of sucks if you have to take everything that makes Spider-Man cool and relegate it to QTEs and scripted events. I want to do the cool shit!

Give me control and let me fuck up if I want to. I should be able to slingshot myself into the ground.

Spinluck

My interest in this game slowly dwindled over the course of the demo the more button prompts and indicators came up. I would think one of the advantages of having a Spider-Man game is the potential in the degree of control and freedom of movement you would have.

The combat also seems to be very much in the Batman Arkham Asylum style unfortunately.

This is probably my biggest disappointment.

Was never really a huge fan of Arkham combat, but there was some neat stuff in there. Loving the context sensitive environmental stuff. Spidey's web abilities look like they will offer a lot more in combat as well.

ToastyRamen

Neo Member
No Peter parker in this game unless they doing multiple Spidey. Miles Morales looks to be main Spidey.

tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

Bishop89

That isn't a QTE, he is web zipping to the sign right as it explodes which triggers that special animation / camera. The player doesn't have to hit that at all

For instance if the water tower doesn't explode he would've zipped to the top of it, but since it did it changed the animation so he lands and vaults off

sounds great.

You guys are doing an amazing job

dominuece

That isn't a QTE, he is web zipping to the sign right as it explodes which triggers that special animation / camera. The player doesn't have to hit that at all

For instance if the water tower doesn't explode he would've zipped to the top of it, but since it did it changed the animation so he lands and vaults off

This is going to be a dream game that I've been wanting to materialize for ages.

The God

Horizon's gameplay is pure spectacle, as are souls boss battles. GTA does set-piece spectacle without QTEs. Just off the top of my head. Uncharted 4's main jaw-dropping set-piece didn't rely upon QTEs.

You can't be serious with those comparisons.

Which Souls boss had as much going on as this Spider-Man demo? Horizon sure didn't, neither did Uncharted 4's car chase set piece.

The whole scene of this demo had way more going on than in those games you listed, and I just think it's kinda ridiculous to expect all that action to stay completely in your control. Same goes for God of War and its set pieces. I mean, the alternative is a cutscene. I'd at least rather have QTEs

Rokuren

Very exciting to hear.

This is probably my biggest disappointment.

Was never really a huge fan of Arkham combat, but there was some neat stuff in there. Loving the context sensitive environmental stuff. Spidey's web abilities look like they will offer a lot more in combat as well.

Given his power set Spidey, probably lends himself the best to that style of combat. Yeah, I'm hoping to see what upgrades he gets. It looked like he had that proxy-web that they had in the Homecoming trailer.

Contextual actions and not QTE. That is how all QTEs should morph into.

Btw. Is this PS4 footage or PS4 PRO footage? Because before the show, they said all games shown will be on PS4 PRO but Cory Barlog said GOW was on standard PS4.

Edit: The Lost legacy was confirmed to be running on PS4 PRO.
Just check PlayStation channel: any game with video quality reaching 4K must be running on PS4 PRO.
GOW highest quality is 1080p.

c0Zm1c

That's not even a QTE, it's pretty obvious to me that he web zipped there and it triggered that animation, just like you're saying, you most likely won't have to go through that sign in the full game. Not every button press is a QTE guys.

Well that's good then. These subtle transitions that don't pull control away from you but still allow for such scenes are the better way of doing it.

Gartooth

This is the highlight of E3 for me so far! I love Arkham games so I loved the takedowns with different web shooters and environment interactions. I feel it is crazy for me to be this excited for a Spider-Man game when I never cared for them before.

KageMaru

Very awesome! Can you guys say anything about the tech, like are you using photogrammetry?

Also please keep the QTEs to a minimum. Game looked amazing.

I automatically thought the swinging was physics based and you couldn't just start swinging right away especially how he thwipped almost directly above him vs ahead of him

Gurish

I still can't believe those insane visuals that Insomniac was able to achieve, do we know if that was on Pro or OG?

Vire

I feel like everything needs to be sped up.

Combat seemed slow, swinging seemed slow. Felt like more priority was given to animations rather than some gameplay elements.

The visuals are phenomenal though.

Possibly the speed is matching the Helicopter so you won't be able to catch it right off the bat, who knows. Comparing a complete game that's been out for ages to an 8 min demo and making definitive statements is a bit silly.
Even if the swinging is slowed to match the pace of helicopter, the other parts of the game still look like the lack the proper speed that you expect form a Spider-Man game. Look at the fighting parts (sans the obvious slow-mo moments) or that building getting destroyed scene. He still doesn't move at a speed that I would expect from Spider-Man.

Hell, RS' Batman would be able to run circles around this slow ass Spider-Man.

KageMaru

I still can't believe those insane visuals that Insomniac was able to achieve, do we know if that was on Pro or OG?

There's no way that wasn't running on a Pro. I'd be that much more impressed if I'm proven wrong.

I'm sure it'll look great on the OG PS4, just not as clean.

3rdEdge

I'm still not a fan of the suit and I personally think Spidey comics have been mediocre at best since the whole One More Day/Brand New Day thing, so the presence of Yuri Watanabe and Mr. Negative are kind of a turn off. (Don't really care either way about Miles.) But with that said, the graphics are great, it looks really fun to play and I love Spider-Man, so I'm still looking forward to the game.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Combat seemed slow, swinging seemed slow. Felt like more priority was given to animations rather than some gameplay elements.

That's how I felt too.

DKHF

Looks great. Liked getting to know more about the characters and story and can't wait for more details. Watching Bryan Intihar on Geoff's stream now. QTEs are kind of meh but still looks good overall.

Kyolux

Mister Negative touching Spider-man near the end is pretty telling of where this is going. We're probably going to be trying to get Peter back to normal as Miles at least for a good portion of the game.

There's no way that wasn't running on a Pro. I'd be that much more impressed if I'm proven wrong.

I'm sure it'll look great on the OG PS4, just not as clean.

Before the show, they said all games shown will be on PS4 PRO but Cory Barlog said otehrwise for GOW.
The Lost legacy was confirmed to be running on PS4 PRO.
Just check PlayStation channel: any game with video quality reaching 4K must be running on PS4 PRO.
GOW highest quality is 1080p.
The lost Legacy is 4K.
Days Gone is 4K.
Spider-Man is 4K
You got your answeres.

Edit: confirmed and will be played tomorrow.

I noticed this too, but it seemed way faster in the mini boss fight. It was the thugs where there was a lot of slow down

Reminded me of Batman if you took out all the lead up punches, and you can really only activate those by growing the combo meter. That's probably what this needs

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm still not a fan of the suit and I personally think Spidey comics have been mediocre at best since the whole One More Day/Brand New Day thing, so the presence of Yuri Watanabe and Mr. Negative are kind of a turn off. (Don't really care either way about Miles.) But with that said, the graphics are great, it looks really fun to play and I love Spider-Man, so I'm still looking forward to the game.

It's probable that Spider-Man will have alternate costumes. Most of these comicbook games do.

Rokuren

Neat, watching now.
Mister Negative touching Spider-man near the end is pretty telling of where this is going. We're probably going to be trying to get Peter back to normal as Miles at least for a good portion of the game.
Based off of what was said in the stream, it seems unlikely. Talked a bit about how the man in the suit was important.

Also, running on ps4 pro.

You can't be serious with those comparisons.

Which Souls boss had as much going on as this Spider-Man demo? Horizon sure didn't, neither did Uncharted 4's car chase set piece.

The whole scene of this demo had way more going on than in those games you listed, and I just think it's kinda ridiculous to expect all that action to stay completely in your control. Same goes for God of War and its set pieces. I mean, the alternative is a cutscene. I'd at least rather have QTEs
I was serious and I think we just completely disagree. "More going on" doesn't impress me when I'm not in the action.

Different strokes.

Just confirmed during the stream, PS4 Pro indeed.

Fuck :(
Its safe to say that all game showings will be on the most powerful hardware acceptable for the venue.

Top Bottom