• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

After GTA4 I'd rather have snappy controls that feel right and like I'm in the driver's seat. The weight could be ok for the swinging, and even then, too much realism there could destroy the fun (crap I need to build momentum again).
That seems like an odd comparison. GTA 4 versus a Spiderman game? What aspect of controls/mechanics are you comparing?

Was playing Arkham Knight last night. The Arkham freeflow combat is probably my favorite combat system in all of gaming, and I'm so glad other games are adopting and tweaking it

But playing AK, and seeing Batman pinball across the room and flip over enemy's heads....it screams Spider-Man. The finishers and counter animations are definitely perfect for Batman, but in light of this E3 footage, it seems so obvious that the freeflow combat style was always destined to be the perfect fit for Spidey

Agreed. It fits Spiderman as a character so well. I can't think of any other combat system that would even begin to approach this and how it portrays Spiderman.

This game has to walk the same fine line between controllability+player freedom and fluidity/scripting that the Arkham series had to. Both are high-profile characters known for their skill, and each are AAA experiences meant for casual audience while having (seemingly) lots of options available to the player. The prestige of those characters means the devs won't let the player just smack face first into a building or fumble a batarang, but swinging and fighting has to achieve a satisfying level of control too.

Insomniac has to make it feel satisfying to traverse the world while streamlining certain maneuvers (e.g. flipping through a catwalk/exploding watertower). They can't expect most players to be able to manually pull some of that stuff off, and it must be really hard to design such minute control. They also have to allow the player enough control over their movement/abilities that it feels engaging to play—players need to be as engaged with the gameplay as much as they need to be impressed by what they're making their character do. I don't envy them since it's such a hard spot to be in, but they seem to be doing a good job.

I actually find the Arkham-like combat to be a better fit for Spider-Man, and while the swinging and fighting could stand to be a bit more swift, there's an intimacy to all of the player actions that makes it fun to watch (and hopefully to play)—stuff like flipping over ledges and spinning through tight spaces is really great and seems to help give the city some texture, rather than it being a series of rectangular prisms that may as well be completely smooth and featureless as far the game is concerned. I really, really liked Spider-Man 2's web-slinging, and am still incredibly impressed by it today for its sense of momentum, but even if this new SM doesn't achieve that same speed and inertia, it looks to be a solid experience that captures some of the cool minutia of the character's traversal.

That seems like an odd comparison. GTA 4 versus a Spiderman game? What aspect of controls/mechanics are you comparing?
Pretty sure he's trying to say that too much realism can have a impact on fun. GTAIV's driving could be seen as too realistic with it's heavy handling physics. (IMO it was better than what we have in GTAV)

Am I wrong in wanting just a little bit more momentum in his movement? I.e. just before he pulls himself towards the furthest most enemy (from the camera) he basically just stops in mid air. It affects the visual fluidity of the combat

I would rather have complete control over my character's movements.

If any momentum generated by a movement I initiated - without my direct input to interrupt it - led to a perfectly physics-based launch trajectory with the expected physics-based ending of said trajectory - that is fluid animation at it's finest; but I would love the fact that I could interrupt it and do something else on the fly...as if I was actually Spider-Man.

kyser73

Jumping in not having read the thread, but one thing that will affect the controller choice will be the audience Sony are aiming this at.

IIRC Layden said in an interview that Spiderman is representative of Sony's strategy to get the next 40mn users in. These are late gen arrivals, impulse purchasers and the dreaded 'casuals'.

Making a Spiderman game with a 'gamers' control system will turn that audience off IMO, and while it will still sell well, it might mean the difference between a 5mn and 10mn LTD globally.

The God

Jumping in not having read the thread, but one thing that will affect the controller choice will be the audience Sony are aiming this at.

IIRC Layden said in an interview that Spiderman is representative of Sony's strategy to get the next 40mn users in. These are late gen arrivals, impulse purchasers and the dreaded 'casuals'.

Making a Spiderman game with a 'gamers' control system will turn that audience off IMO, and while it will still sell well, it might mean the difference between a 5mn and 10mn LTD globally.

Welp, guess they can kiss that 5 million goodbye since Insomniac confirmed the swinging to be skill-based

/s

Some of yall are posting some hard nonsense about this game lol

Ploid 3.0

GTA4's Euphoria physics engine. I hated it because it sacrificed good control. Not just the cars but the character movement. Tripping over sidewalk curbs, turning slowly in physics based circles (on foot while running). On foot was boring, good gifs, but very frustrating, loose, and heavy.

The person I quoted wanted more momentum in the physics, I liked the snappiness which seem to lend itself to better control and far from my experience with GTA4.

I remember the last time I tried to play The Lost dlc. I was in a building, and it felt like I was trying to fight my way out of a paper bag (though I was sleepy trying to force myself through the dlc for a while). Walking movement in tight quarters felt bad. Though that probably had nothing to do with euphoria and just camera + turn speed.

I completely disagree.

The core base of Spider-Man fans range the gamut from children all the way up to 40 and 50 year olds -
and even above. It's an extremely broad demographic, the only other comparable superhero demographic of that magnitude would be Batman.

If this truly turns out to be an amazing game and it is reviewed well - getting near perfect or perfect scores, it will be the new Batman Arkham of the Marvel gaming universe and it will have far more numbers generated in sales than you are less than generously giving it.

kyser73

I completely disagree.

The core base of Spider-Man fans range the gamut from children all the way up to 40 and 50 year olds -
and even above. It's an extremely broad demographic, the only other comparable superhero demographic of that magnitude would be Batman.

If this truly turns out to be an amazing game and it is reviewed well - getting near perfect or perfect scores, it will be the new Batman Arkham of the Marvel gaming universe and it will have far more numbers generated in sales than you are less than generously giving it.

Hmm, I was talking about how the control system might impact on that kind of audience's enjoyment, and hence word-of-mouth, around the product.

What do you think it'll sell, Deck? I tried looking around for previous games' sales, but could only find Chartz data, so I'm not going to hang my argument on that evidence.

Hmm, I was talking about how the control system might impact on that kind of audience's enjoyment, and hence word-of-mouth, around the product.

What do you think it'll sell, Deck? I tried looking around for previous games' sales, but could only find Chartz data, so I'm not going to hang my argument on that evidence.
"Hey, remember those really cool Batman games? It's like that but the Spiderman game you always wanted" will have a very good impact on audience's enjoyment and word of mouth

I would say over 4 million units in the first three months would be an easy estimate if it looks as good or better than what we've seen so far and it also reviews well.

It could be well over that and some kind of *new record* if it breaks new ground and improves upon not only what we've seen of it so far, but what superhero combat and gameplay can achieve if it can rival or best the Batman Arkham games.

"Hey, remember those really cool Batman games? It's like that but the Spiderman game you always wanted"

If I hadn't seen or heard of this game yet and someone told me that, I would buy it, sight unseen :)

Speaking of potential sales, Sony's only ever had one game sell a million units in one month in the US (GoW3), so does anyone think that Spider-Man could pull that off? Arkham Asylum did nearly 600k in its first month, City did 1.5m, and Knight did 1.5m+. Obviously they're based off different characters, but I think Spider-Man's quality is expected to be in line with the Arkham series.

It seems possible that GoW will hit that number as its hype seem more in line with GoW3 than Ascension. And TLoUPII is basically a lock when you consider that the original opened at 985k.

Spinluck

Speaking of potential sales, Sony's only ever had one game sell a million units in one month in the US (GoW3), so does anyone think that Spider-Man could pull that off? Arkham Asylum did nearly 600k in its first month, City did 1.5m, and Knight did 1.5m+. Obviously they're based off different characters, but I think Spider-Man's quality is expected to be in line with the Arkham series.

It seems possible that GoW will hit that number as its hype seem more in line with GoW3 than Ascension. And TLoUPII is basically a lock when you consider that the original opened at 985k.

There's always a chance, if I had to bet I'd say 800k, but 1 million wouldn't surprise me.

Marvel seems to be really pushing the character as of late.

Civil War last year, Homecoming this year, a new animated show (I think it airs this year as well), Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite will be a safe bet, and of course he'll be featured in the 3rd Avengers movie.

Besides being an established IP, I think a lot of that push will help the game. Especially if it's good.

FelipeMGM

Didnt Horizon sold over a Mil when including digital? I remember Harker indicating something like that

I think it can happen. Sony just needs to promote the crap out of it. I really want Insomniac to have a big commercial success under their belt.

Didnt Horizon sold over a Mil when including digital? I remember Harker indicating something like that
Yep.

This new Electric Playground interview with Bryan Intihar is the best one yet:

https://youtu.be/cN9QlE3ykJ4

Near the end, he says "We have a great cast and Peter is just one of many, many characters we have in the game. It's a big, big cast".

After that, he says "We have a lot of classic villains and we have a lot of newcomers as well".

I'm telling you guys, this could quite possibly be the best superhero game ever made.

FelipeMGM

Looks like we will be getting some sort of coverage and info on Spider-Man and Insomniac's work in 2 weeks

DC8aRyuXgAUJsId.jpg:large

lumzi23

Changed my mind. Just downloaded and watched the full HD version from Gamersyde. It's pretty spectacular. The movement and swinging are not quite the ideal in my mind (the way I remember from the Spider-Man 2 game (from the Sam Raimi trilogy) but it's still quite good (with time to get better). Overall the game looks quite fun (even though I wish they would have gone in a different direction than that Arkham games and QTE stuff).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fantastic news, wow!

Sounds like they want to get this game out ASAP but at the same time don't want to rush it.

Early 2018 sounds more and more likely.

Fantastic news, wow!

Sounds like they want to get this game out ASAP but at the same time don't want to rush it.

Early 2018 sounds more and more likely.

Exactly.

The fact that they're pulling so much high-level animation talent from Naughty Dog including Andrew Garber & Mike Yosh - who was the former "Lead Animator" at Naughty Dog, means they're really wanting this to be something special!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Exactly.

The fact that they're pulling so much high-level animation talent from Naughty Dog including Andrew Garber & Mike Yosh - who was the former "Lead Animator" at Naughty Dog, means they're really wanting this to be something special!

Yeah, let's just hope there is still some talent left for The Last of Us: Part 2 :p

c.bake

Neo Member
I do apologise if this has already been posted but I thought it was worth posting, just in case.

This is a fifteen-minute analysis of the E3 gameplay from, Chris Baker, an ex Marvel employee who has worked on many of their game projects including quite a few of their recent Spider-Man games. On his own website, he lists himself as having been the Steward of the Marvel Brand and approving video game submissions.

Spider-Man PS4 Analysis From a Guy Who's Worked on Five Spidey Games (YouTube)

Thanks for the shout-out! In addition to this video, I also posted this follow-up a few days ago: https://youtu.be/CkaGwY8YZWs

And a publisher. I get the impression it's not all beenox's fault

It definitely wasn't. Let's not forget, they made a very serviceable and fun Spider-Man game with Shattered Dimensions back in 2010. It removed a lot of the mandatory requirements of Spider-Man games and made a fun game based off of the 2000's title. Beenox were definitely fans of Spider-Man and they made a different game with Shattered Dimensions which was a fun title for fans. Feels like after that game, Activision just broke them.

Edge of Time was them going a bit too big for themselves with heavy time constraints, while the first ASM game was done in about a year with half the team to meet deadline. It was even worse with the sequel.

That being said, Insomniac are at a whole other level as they are definitely one of the best developers in the world at the moment.

Best wishes.

TimFL

It definitely wasn't. Let's not forget, they made a very serviceable and fun Spider-Man game with Shattered Dimensions back in 2010. It removed a lot of the mandatory requirements of Spider-Man games and made a fun game based off of the 2000's title. Beenox were definitely fans of Spider-Man and they made a different game with Shattered Dimensions which was a fun title for fans. Feels like after that game, Activision just broke them.

Edge of Time was them going a bit too big for themselves with heavy time constraints, while the first ASM game was done in about a year with half the team to meet deadline. It was even worse with the sequel.

That being said, Insomniac are at a whole other level as they are definitely one of the best developers in the world at the moment.

Best wishes.
The first ASM game had a development time of at least 2-3 years (if not 4). I'm almost 100% certain I read an article by one of their devs claiming they started work on a prototype back in 2008/2009 when it was supposed to be Spider-Man 4 so they had a base to build from.
The sequel had it's budget cut to 1/4th of the first one (+ a rushed schedule), that's why it lacks the quality the first one had.

The first ASM game had a development time of at least 2-3 years (if not 4). I'm almost 100% certain I read an article by one of their devs claiming they started work on a prototype back in 2008/2009 when it was supposed to be Spider-Man 4 so they had a base to build from.
The sequel had it's budget cut to 1/4th of the first one (+ a rushed schedule), that's why it lacks the quality the first one had.

Your avatar, is it from Equilibrium?

looking back at the Uncharted 4 screenshots thread.... please Insomniac Games give us a photo mode, the game looks so good, it would be a sin not having such a feature in this game.

Absolutely yes!

The screenshot thread here would be endless.

Imagine recreating your perfect Spider-Man moment and being able to rewind it and take a picture of the exact moment you wanted - you really hit on something here...

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Your avatar, is it from Equilibrium?

Absolutely yes!

The screenshot thread here would be endless.

Imagine recreating your perfect Spider-Man moment and being able to rewind it and take a picture of the exact moment you wanted - you really hit on something here...

most likely it will have photo mode but be on par with what horizon did with photo mode.

Gurish

Of course it will have a photo mode, didn't R&C had one as well?

It will be a sin if the next best looking open world game won't have a photo mode.

Top Bottom