• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

MisterHero

It looks a lot like an Activision-made Spider-Man.

Web-swinging is too slow, overuse of web-zipping pretty much confirms it.

Combat is needlessly complicated, but I get kids enjoy those combo-fest type things.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You guys are nuts.

The game looks freaking incredible.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Not feeling the combat (Looks like the same thing we've seen in many other games) and QTEs are whatever but that traversal looks great. Getting around New York is going to fun as hell and seeing Miles Morales was pretty cool.

Insomniac have a massive amount of goodwill from Sunset Overdrive (Probably still my game of the generation so far) so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt any day of the week.

Please don't make it too grindy

if the end game doesn't have many QTE moments then it was a bit dumb to show the demo that was heavy QTE.

It's going to give people a bad idea of what to expect, and then you have to explain that QTEs might be largely left to main story missions.

Miles Morales is the newer bi-racial (half black, half latino) Spider-Man introduced in the Ultimate Universe who was brought to the main Marvel Universe after Secret Wars. Miles doesn't replace Peter in the main MU, but rather co-exist with him (though he did replace the Ultimate Universe's Peter, who died). He basically has all of Peter's powers plus Venom Blasts (red electric shocks) & the ability to go invisible.

Right, but what was the tease? Did I miss it?

i don't like superheroes. i don't like marvel stuff, don't like DC stuff, and i have never had the slightest interest in Spiderman in particular ever. never watched the movies, read the comics (beyond enough to make me not like it), or played any of the games.

but gosh darn do i want this game. soooooo hard. i loved the combat, the swinging, the stealth, and especially the aspects where he tries to avoid civilian casualties.

i am going to buy this.

Pachimari

The wall running looked hella awkward. Wish it was like in Spider-Man 2, where he would start running on the sides of building as soon as he got in close proximity.

I'm somewhat glad this is a 2018 release so they'll have time to fix and improve the mechanics.

est1992

Thoroughly impressed with how fluid everything looked. With that said, I hope the entire game isn't a bunch of predator/combat missions that play out this slowly. The Spidey combat looked fun, but I feel this game might get too many comparisons to Arkham.

Asriel

Seriously. Stop with the QTEs.

And the combat is very Arkham like. I'd love to see what the open-world is like!

yeah it was kinda weird that he seemed to fight way slower than Batman...wtf.

it looks fun though overall. definitely step up from many of the previous spiderman games in presentation.
Yeah, exactly. Even the webbing was very slow.

I mean... HOW? You are making a Spider-Man game. How is being "super fast" is not the first thing that you think about?

Flipyap

Batman-style QTE combat with a QTE-filled story mode based around Beenox-style "stealth" levels? Yep, this is the worst case scenario.

I wish I could get a Web of Shadows remaster instead, but that's probably forever lost in Activision's licensed game dungeon. RIP Shaba Games, you were too good for this license.

TsuWave

qte's were used mostly for the set pieces which i don't mind, gameplay in general looked great and smooth. combat looked fluid and seems to offer several options and approaches. really pleased with what i saw

RedHill

Banned
It looks a lot like an Activision-made Spider-Man.

Web-swinging is too slow, overuse of web-zipping pretty much confirms it.

Combat is needlessly complicated, but I get kids enjoy those combo-fest type things.
First there's too many quick time events now combat is too complex

The passive aggressive "QTE" comments that were flooding the Sony thread was funny as hell considering how the vocal majority on GAF dislikes quick time event

Game looks amazing!!

HMD

Also I need to comment on the wall run spiderman did when chasing the helicopter, it looked straight out of Sunset Overdrive, that game must have a huge influence on Spider Man.

So even though the QTE's in the demo all had to do with that specific plane sequence and not with any of the combat or swinging (the meat of the game) talk about it is going to dominate the thread huh?

Even Just Cause doesn't have this kind of action. Just Cause is more about doing stupid stuff (which is also fun) with big weapons, but nothing resembles a scene like that.

But that's what Spiderman should be, except replace "big weapons" with random objects in the environment. That's mainly why I mentioned BOTW, because of the ability to manipulate objects. Just Cause for the aerial acrobatics, BOTW for the interactions with the environment (IE, replace static and magnesis with different types of webbing. Maybe even allow one that lets you stick things together then you can throw them or swing them around). There's so much more they could do with a Spiderman game!

plainr_

These quicktime events don't bother me. It would be hard to pull off those set pieces and still give complete control of spiderman.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
qte's were used mostly for the set pieces which i don't mind, gameplay in general looked great and smooth. combat looked fluid and seems to offer several options and approaches. really pleased with what i saw

Yep, there were a lot of combat options they didn't use while at the construction site. You could see a lot of objects they could have used.

These quicktime events don't bother me. It would be hard to pull off those set pieces and still give complete control of spiderman.

Yeah, it's not like the QTE's are going to be there in open gameplay..

I was hoping for something more than a straight up Arkham-style "Here's a stealth room with gargoyles/rafters, here's a combat room, repeat" formula. It's not a dealbreaker, but that shit's pretty played out at this point. Using environmental objects in combat looks pretty cool.

Swinging doesn't look a patch on SM2 or even Web of Shadows, but I'd have to get my hands on the controller to know for sure. It's extremely slow and Spidey isn't really beholden to physics; he's basically flying most of the time. The wallrun is obviously a locked-in animation, whereas in SM2 it was 100% manually controlled.

I don't know, I'll give it a chance, but I'm hoped for more.

Why not just... not include it? Like, don't bother with the whole crane collapse BS, just get immediately to the webslinging helicopter chase.

Maybe people are really fucking hyped to watch a short movie where Spider-Man webs up stuff, but that's not why I'm putting my money down. I'm buying a Spider-Man game it's to do Spider-Man shit, not occasionally press a button while the game does Spider-Man shit for me.

People want spider man doing cool shit while there playing .
I sure since it open world you can do what ever you want but i expect some cool stuff during certain missions .

They are? News to me. I thought they were slowly going extinct.

For certain things like set piece it make sense .

Soulstar

This game is looking pretty good.

I really wan't to get my hands on this game and see how web slinging through the city feels.

Top Bottom