• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Puruzi

Banned
So even though the QTE's in the demo all had to do with that specific plane sequence and not with any of the combat or swinging (the meat of the game) talk about it is going to dominate the thread huh?

QTEs are the devil you know. Even if they aren't in gameplay, somehow it's still the LITERAL WORST THING EVER

Alienfan

I'm feeling the combat and the swinging/traversal. I'm not feeling the quicktime events and set pieces at all though. They remind me of a movie tie in game

Bishop89

Why not just... not include it? Like, don't bother with the whole crane collapse BS, just get immediately to the webslinging helicopter chase.

Maybe people are really fucking hyped to watch a short movie where Spider-Man webs up stuff, but that's not why I'm putting my money down. I'm buying a Spider-Man game it's to do Spider-Man shit, not occasionally press a button while the game does Spider-Man shit for me.

yeah lets get rid of the spectacle and go straight to "Follow helicopter objective #12346635"

EDarkness

Looks like another Spider-Man game I'll be getting where I spend 90% of the time swinging around the city. Can't wait for that. Not a fan of all the QTEs, though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Somebody gotta gif the moments when he gets into contact with buildings to wall run. That shit looks off.
And post it next to a gif of SM2 and ask... wtf. A game so old. Still the high water mark.

Sony has the film rights to Spider-Man, and now Disney is making a Spider-Man movie.

Connect the dots.
that's what I thought, but this is unconfirmed. and then there was that news about non-MCU Venom and even Sony ending the Tom Holland deal after a trilogy
Miles Morales is the newer bi-racial (half black, half latino) Spider-Man introduced in the Ultimate Universe who was brought to the main Marvel Universe after Secret Wars. Miles doesn't replace Peter in the main MU, but rather co-exist with him (though he did replace the Ultimate Universe's Peter, who died). He basically has all of Peter's powers plus Venom Blasts (red electric shocks) & the ability to go invisible.
is Miles a genius also?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So even though the QTE's in the demo all had to do with that specific plane sequence and not with any of the combat or swinging (the meat of the game) talk about it is going to dominate the thread huh?

The combat wasn't exactly lighting my world on fire so?

QTEs are the devil you know. Even if they aren't in gameplay, somehow it's still the LITERAL WORST THING EVER

I know right? All these guys freaking out like the CTEs will make the game shit. This game is the Spider-man game I've dreamt about as a kid. A plus graphics, silky smooth gameplay and combat. This is my 2018 GOTY.

The QTE's didn't bother me much...it felt like God of War which I tolerated.

In fact, this game feels like a very clear blend of Arkham games and god of War.

Pachimari

And post it next to a gif of SM2 and ask... wtf. A game so old. Still the high water mark.

The wall running reminded me more of the Amazing Spider-Man games than Spider-Man 2 to be honest. Which is worrisome.

I'm gonna buy this game day one, but I want this game to be the best it can be.

But that's what Spiderman should be, except replace "big weapons" with random objects in the environment. That's mainly why I mentioned BOTW, because of the ability to manipulate objects. Just Cause for the aerial acrobatics, BOTW for the interactions with the environment (IE, replace static and magnesis with different types of webbing. Maybe even allow one that lets you stick things together then you can throw them or swing them around). There's so much more they could do with a Spiderman game!

You do realize how clunky the controls for BOTW are in that situations? Those are super static scenes in contrast to what has been shown for spider-man. It's about that one scene...It would just not been possible. If you don't like that cinematic style it's your problem, but don't pretend that the scene would have been better without QTEs when you are talking about totally different things.

And I'm so super tired of BOTW being brought up everywhere. BOTW has to be the most overrated game ever.

delSai

Insert dumb joke about QTEs and it being an Arkham rip off

I liked what they showed. Been a while since i played a Spidey game, will be great to finally have one to play again!

Sojgat

People love to hate on QTEs. The way they were utilized in the scripted web-swinging sequence was great, but since no actual free roam gameplay was shown, I understand the concern.

Kouichi

I know the whole game won't be QTEs but my god having your first gameplay demo heavily focus on that is just a really bad idea.

Nonetheless, the actually gameplay looks great so I'm still excited. There is a lot of stuff that reminds me of Shattered Dimensions so that's neat!

GamerJM

Banned
I was hoping this would be Sunset Overdrive with a Spider-Man skin and it looked more like Arkham Spider-Man.

Eh....I'll probably still get it but I'm not 100% sold.

OH MY FUCKING GOSH THIS SHIT IS BLESSED! DID Y'ALL SEE THAT SHIT? OOOOOOH!

The combat, that stealth. Yeah, y'all had some influence from the Arkham Games all right and I catch some Uncharted in that bitch too. They got Asian representation in this shit as well? Good ups, good ups! Also threw fans a bone with that Miles tease. I see what y'all doing.

I can't wait to play this!

Aikidoka

People are being a bit too hyperbolic about the QTEs. The free-form combat, movement, and web slinging looked fantastic. The only issue I saw was the hard cuts of the camera angles, so if they can just iron out the transitions then the game will just be about perfec

Looked incredible. I don't mind the QTEs but I do hope they're not so prevalent. The swinging looks great but I have to say I want it to be a little faster. Gimme dat sense of speed.

c0Zm1c

Who the hell cares if there were QTEs? It's not like you could do the QTE stuff with gameplay so it'd just be a long cutscene without it. Same shit.

You're right, but they could have designed these scenarios so that they do work with the base gameplay, and aren't just tedious scripted sequences laden with button prompts that fail to translate to anything compelling for the player. It detracts more from the game than it adds so, yeah, I would rather it be a cutscene than this rubbish.

The God

When you have big set piece moments like that, QTEs are kinda necessary. You're Spider-Man, and there's no way they could give you complete control in a moment like that and have it work well

Natiko

Banned
Kind of just looked like Arkham. Still looking forward to playing the game but I was hoping for something a little more unique given the team behind it.

You do realize how clunky the controls for BOTW are in that situations? Those are super static scenes in contrast to what has been shown for spider-man. It's about that one scene...It would just not been possible. If you don't like that cinematic style it's your problem, but don't pretend that the scene would have been better without QTEs when you are talking about totally different things.

And I'm so super tired of BOTW being brought up everywhere. BOTW has to be the most overrated game ever.

I didn't say it should be like BOTW. I'm using examples of how it could just give you Spiderman tools (ability to climb anywhere, swing from any surface, pull things with webbing, wrap things with webbing, use 2 webs and shoot yourself between them, etc) and enable fun emergent situations.

I honestly don't care what your thoughts on BOTW are since you're clearly fixated on it and how "overrated" it is, and not on what I'm saying by referencing it. Hell, forget I said BOTW. My point still stands

IJWpfDq.gif

Top Bottom