• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

This looks really really good, and is being made by one of my favorite developers. But I'm afraid the game will have too much cinematic gameplay, you know what I mean? I really hope that's not the case.

Did you play the earlier Spiderman games? I don't think there's much cause for concern over this.

Open world negates the 'too much cinematic/routed gameplay' concern immediately because you can just fuck off and do what you want. That's what makes Mirror's Edge Catalyst better than ME1, too, IMO.

This is a really well made trailer. Is the music an existing piece or written for the game?

Not really been too interested in Spiderman games after Spiderman 2 (which was great) but Insomniac are one of my favourite studios so will get this for sure.

DKHF

Is there any news about how long this has been in the oven for? Like, was it in pre production planning stages prior to SOs release in 2014 and then moved into full production after that shipped or did the collaboration only come about once the studio was freed up after that title?

I hope it's next year. I think Sony avoided giving any release aspirations for their newly announced titles to avoid a Horizon situation. The games are probably all planned for late next year, but Sony has demonstrated they are happy to give more time if needed. It's better than to give a nice surprise when you're sure of the timeframe you can deliver rather than having to delay into the next quarter and disappoint a lot of people after setting expectations.
According to the creative director's Linkedin he started working as creative director (his position on this game) in October 2014 which is right when SO shipped so I'm guessing this game went into full production at that time. Though it was probably in pre-production towards the end of SO's development.

And yeah I'm glad Sony was careful not to give any vague release years like in the past.

LordofPwn

And yeah I'm glad Sony was careful not to give any vague release years like in the past.

this.

also it sounds like Marvel has a plan for more info about the game in the coming months. maybe Comic-con? did anyone ask them about release window? i would imagine it's a 2017 title, maybe summer even though it has nothing to do with the movie.

very much looking forward to it.

The God

this.

also it sounds like Marvel has a plan for more info about the game in the coming months. maybe Comic-con? did anyone ask them about release window? i would imagine it's a 2017 title, maybe summer even though it has nothing to do with the movie.

Insomniac isn't talking about dates aka it's 2018

DKHF

this.

Yeah Bill Rosemann did say specifically that they will be releasing more information in the coming months which makes me think we might not have to wait until PSX for more. We could see some at Gamescom/PGW or more likely, Marvel might just release a new trailer on their own some time. Comic-Con is a possibility too.

Tonky

Did anyone else think the graphics looked absolutely incredible? That scene where he jumped off the building while doing a backflip looked amazing.

bunkitz

Yeah Bill Rosemann did say specifically that they will be releasing more information in the coming months which makes me think we might not have to wait until PSX for more. We could see some at Gamescom/PGW or more likely, Marvel might just release a new trailer on their own some time. Comic-Con is a possibility too.

Oh shit, yeah. SDCC's gotta give us something about the game. Demo please. With a release window?

a late summer/fall 2017, if they can manage it without rushing, would probably be really smart in case the movie is massive hit and they can capitalize on the hype. That's something that probably really helped Battlefront push huge numbers last year, and probably something that WB is still kicking themselves over, not having a game out to coincide with The Dark Knight back when it was a box office phenomenon. I kind of get the feeling Spiderman and Days Gone are 2018 though.

farisr

Insomniac isn't talking about dates aka it's 2018
I think Sony's implementing a new policy of not stating a vague release year and will only mention a release date when a proper date is set.

I'm sure Insomniac is working towards getting it done for Summer 2017 to come out alongside the Spiderman movie, as its basically free marketing and they can ride the hype. But aren't completely sure they'll be able to, and it's not a set deadline, hence they're not talking about dates.

Wereroku

I think Sony's implementing a new policy of not stating a vague release year and will only mention a release date when a proper date is set.

I'm sure Insomniac is working towards getting it done for Summer 2017 to come out alongside the Spiderman movie, as its basically free marketing and they can ride the hype. But aren't completely sure they'll be able to, and it's not a set deadline, hence they're not talking about dates.

It really depends Marvel stated that they aren't going to force devs to release along side a movie because that tends to hurt the production values. However since they have so much time trying to hit with the Spider-man movie wouldn't be a bad plan.

Neoxon

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but do guys think we'll get different kinds of web fluid in this game? What I mean is the idea of Peter having unique kinds of webbing (like stickier webbing or colder webbing) with limited amounts of cartridges for each. Obviously we'll have a shit-ton of the normal web fluid, but I'm curious to see if Insomniac will get creative with other kinds of web fluid.

Neoxon

I dont need that but it would add to the gameplay.
For example, Peter is about to fight Molten Man but needs colder webbing to slow him down. Bam, he has 4-5 web cartridges of colder web fluid that would actually have an effect on Molten Man. Same for someone like Electro, where Peter would need more inductive webbing. Part of why I love Peter's character is because he can adapt to situations pretty damn well (though I'm not sure if it's on the level of Prep-Time Batman), & having alternative web cartridges would be a testament to that.

This looks really really good, and is being made by one of my favorite developers. But I'm afraid the game will have too much cinematic gameplay, you know what I mean? I really hope that's not the case.

Not sure what you mean by cinematic gameplay, but I wouldn't worry after Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet and Clank.

For example, Peter is about to fight Molten Man but needs colder webbing to slow him down. Bam, he has 4-5 web cartridges of colder web fluid that would actually have an effect on Molten Man. Same for someone like Electro, where Peter would need more inductive webbing. Part of why I love Peter's character is because he can adapt to situations pretty damn well (though I'm not sure if it's on the level of Prep-Time Batman), & having alternative web cartridges would be a testament to that.
It would make sense since Peter is apparently more seasoned in this game. He isn't a rookie trying to figure things out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No idea why one should be worried about "cinematic gameplay" even when you think that Sony does this all the times, its not even a Sony studio.

Neoxon

It would make sense since Peter is apparently more seasoned in this game. He isn't a rookie trying to figure things out.
Exactly. He's been fighting crime for a while now in this universe, so it would make sense that Peter would have developed different kinds of webbing for different situations.

RK128

with what they showed i would guess early 2017 to late 2017 at the latest

I feel this too, as this game looks very far along after what they showed this E3. Very smooth, ran great, and it seems a lot of mechanics are in place (Web Swinging, Combat mechanics, interactive moments, ect).

I think that Sony's line up for next year seems really solid overall if they release things in this order.
Feb: Horizon
*Third Party Feb: Persona 5
March: MLB 2018
May: Crash Remastered
*Third Party Early 2017: Neir Automata
June/July: Spider-Man
August: Detroit
November: God of War w/th PS Neo Release

I feel this too, as this game looks very far along after what they showed this E3. Very smooth, ran great, and it seems a lot of mechanics are in place (Web Swinging, Combat mechanics, interactive moments, ect).

I think that Sony's line up for next year seems really solid overall if they release things in this order.
Feb: Horizon
March: MLB 2018
May: Crash Remastered
June/July: Spider-Man
August: Detroit
September/October: Days Gone
November: God of War w/th PS Neo Release

Days Gone is a 2018 game according to Colin. Neo will probably be a year old by then. I'm gonna say Dreams lands somewhere in 2018.

Also shame on you for not including NieR Automata and Persona 5 eleven though they are not Sony published games.

RK128

Days Gone is a 2018 game according to Colin. Neo will probably be a year old by then. I'm gonna say Dreams lands somewhere in 2018.

Also shame on you for not including NieR Automata and Persona 5 eleven though they are not Sony published games.

I want those games badly too, but I was mainly talking about Sony-published games with my list.

sackninja

No way dreams isn't 2017, it was originally supposed to be 2016 and they have been developing it in some form since 2011 when lbp 2 launched in january. But yeah I would say Days gone seems 2018.

Darknight

Insomniac be like "We aint hungry no mo."

This is a major score for them I got to say. After so many so so games, they get this handed to them. Props to them. Hopefully this lets them stay alive as a studio as I felt they were on their way out.

I wonder if Sony chose them to partner? Im sure this Spidy game deal was part of their character crossover on film with Marvel.

Philippo

I can see this releasing in September.
More than a year to work on it from now, and close to Homecoming release to ride on its success.

This game is going to sell a fucking lot.

Ploid 3.0

As much as the clone saga was madness, I think a developer could actually get away with it in a game.

Jaysis

Insomniac gotta love when people constantly doubt their previews and trailers are actual game graphics when they actually are. It has to feel good, and they get questioned a lot.

Slayven

As much as the clone saga was madness, I think a developer could actually get away with it in a game.

Jaysis

3261671-spidercide.jpg

Come on the greatness writes itself.

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but do guys think we'll get different kinds of web fluid in this game? What I mean is the idea of Peter having unique kinds of webbing (like stickier webbing or colder webbing) with limited amounts of cartridges for each. Obviously we'll have a shit-ton of the normal web fluid, but I'm curious to see if Insomniac will get creative with other kinds of web fluid.

Been done with Spider-Man, we had Fire and Electric webbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom