• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGX 2013 |OT| DON'T BE CRANKY [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejpfin

Thanks to ElTorro:

iHcmnGP7UT4Rc.gif

O god, I love you gaf so much.

mhayze

I thought Joel McHale did well to bring a dose of reality and humor to some of the conversations, but it is definitely not a good pairing - Joel and Geoff had absolutely no chemistry.

Witness Geoff's refusal to respond to the repeated jokes about the number of layers of clothes he was wearing on a 70 degree day (and some of the Canadian jokes). He's not a stand up comedian, and Joel is.

I think either one of them would have probably done a better job on their own, but it would have been two very different shows.

I'm not sure why people are so bothered by this show. I thought it was somewhat tolerable until the musical number. I'm not saying it was good, but it's most definitely been worse in the past.

Also, Sony really needs to show some exclusive PS4 games for fucks sake. I've been banging this drum for months now, and I was told to wait for Gamescom, and then I was told to wait for TGS, and then I was told to wait for the VGAs. Whelp.

Hey we haven't namedropped Titanfall for a whole 5 minutes - cut to another promo!

It doesn't feel genuine. It feels like dastardly PR wheels are turning and trying to manufacture fan hype.

Some of you are gonna need therapy when this game actually comes out and is amazing.

Dabanton

Hey we haven't namedropped Titanfall for a whole 5 minutes - cut to another promo!

It doesn't feel genuine. It feels like dastardly PR wheels are turning and trying to manufacture fan hype.

From what I and many others on here who have played it at tradeshows,it's a great game,the excitement that people have for it is genuine.

viveks86

Did they hire extras to fill up the concert? Most of them looked like they didn't belong there and were pretending to enjoy it!

I thought Joel McHale did well to bring a dose of reality and humor to some of the conversations, but it is definitely not a good pairing - Joel and Geoff had absolutely no chemistry. Witness his refusal to respond to the repeated jokes about the number of layers of clothes he was wearing on a 70 degree day (and some of the Canadian jokes). He's not a stand up comedian, and Joel is.

I think either one of them would have probably done a better job on their own, but it would have been two very different shows.

This is exactly what I kept thinking throughout the show.

Geoff had that weird "are you joking?" look every time Joel spoke, and Joel had that "how come you don't get my jokes" look to Geoff.

TheOGB

Banned
Well now that GAF has stopped fluctuating from everyone wanting to say the same thing, thank god that was over, it was kinda shit.

Good moments, and good efforts with getting more industry people on and such, but please stop hiring douchebags that blatantly don't give a shit (and make terrible jokes about them not giving a shit) to host these things. I actually like Joel McHale, but come on. You guys don't know how to do self-deprecating humor, so don't try. And if you weren't trying, well...

KPJZKC

I missed the live stream, so watching parts of it now - sounds like there are like 12 people in the audience? Poor South Park guys, almost no applause :/

Gorillaz

I was wondering after that whole Sony ps4 launch thing, that it was there "hype" show.

Joel McHale was Joel McHale. Spike knows his humor. What they didn't expect probably was how much he can go into that humor. Underestimating the beast it seems lol

I felt bad for Geoff tho. First year I felt really bad for him.

I hope Geoff hosts the show himself from now on. He's obviously the most passionate and knowledgeable person for the job. No need for a celebrity who doesn't want to be there to be included. Joel was funny at times though. The format just didn't work though.

Some of the reveals were pretty good, but wow nothing we didn't expect and zero titles from Sony. I am disappoint.

Oh well, here's a long road to E3 to see some Sony stuff then.

Well it's was a funny ride, with you my good fellow GAFfers, the show... well, I feel bad for Geoff having such a side host during 3 hours.

I felt bad for Joel. There's only one hard-and-fast rule of improv. It's never "No, but..." it's always "Yes, and..."

Geoff almost always went "No, but..." whenever Joel tried to breathe some life into this shitshow. Many times after Joel said something he literally said "no..."

If you wanna blame somebody though, (I honestly don't blame Geoff for being a rather humorless but usually well-organized, safe host.) blame the producer who decided they could slap Joel and Geoff in a live show for three hours when, as Joel stated at the beginning and end of the show, they had never even met before.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking terrible, No Mans Skys and Joel McHale taking the piss and getting more fed up as the show went along were the only entertaining things about it. I'd say it was worse than last years as last years was so bad it was entertaining when taking the piss out of it with friends.

That was a truly...magical experience.

But, I will say this: ON PAPER it looked decent. So I mean, the thought process is in the right place. Perhaps look more within the industry next year. Get the Stelings and the Sesslers (just as an example) or what have you, to co-host perhaps.

jmcoo7

Banned
Well sad to say I ignored my gut instinct and watched that utter drivel. Next year will get drunk and watch it with a bag of Doritos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom