• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reticle snaps to the ground and certain surfaces. Trying to shoot straight down on high ground is very difficult.

Oh wow, I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for the info.

edit: Top of page was boring so I'll just put the best person here:

latest

Rahk

The ๖ۜBronx;245975586 said:
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing but I have much more trouble in this game aiming the reticule over people in-action than any other. It's strange and hard to pinpoint why though.
Might be because there are two reticules. A semi-transparent one to show where you are aiming and a white one to show where your ink will hit. I'd prefer just the one reticule like a normal shooter and get used to the ink trajectory. I don't pay attention to the white one most of the time, it's distracting.

Branduil

Why do teams tempt fate in goldie seeking once you've met the quota? There's no reason to keep shooting gushers once you've met the quota.

Might be because there are two reticules. A semi-transparent one to show where you are aiming and a white one to show where your ink will hit. I'd prefer just the one reticule like a normal shooter and get used to the ink trajectory. I don't pay attention to the white one most of the time, it's distracting.

Yeh I'd twigged that much but you're right it is distracting and doesn't help matters. Honestly I think the ink on the ground constantly is a good visual enough indicator of its spread without needing the additional reticule.

Why do teams tempt fate in goldie seeking once you've met the quota? There's no reason to keep shooting gushers once you've met the quota.

Do any more enemies spawn even if you don't shoot a gusher?

I just had a round with glowflies which should have been the easiest wave especially with this map and the heavy splatling in play but went pear-shaped when two teammates (including one with the glowflies on them) kept running to the front. All we had to do was stay together at the basket and deposit the eggs on a break in the waves.

is there a trick to spotting the valve with the goldie, or is it just luck? i vaguely remember a loading screen tip or something mentioning it glowed more, but I can never tell.

Don't look at the glow; look at the flow. There's at least three levels of flow and accompanying sound when you open a valve. Might be a fourth (I don't pay attention enough), but low-flow's unmistakable. When you get low-flow, that means it's definitely not near where you are.

Don't know the exact specifics like just how far away you have to be from the Goldie to get a low-flow valve, but if nothing else, understand that if it's high tide and you opened a low-flow valve, run to the other side of wherever you are.

Seriously how the hell do I communicate to my team there are two eggs right next to me??? None of them knew and they were elsewhere. I kept clicking "this way" so they would come because that's all we needed to meet the quota and nobody came.

13ruce

Banned
Seriously how the hell do I communicate to my team there are two eggs right next to me??? None of them knew and they were elsewhere. I kept clicking "this way" so they would come because that's all we needed to meet the quota and nobody came.

Dpad up for this way command spam it.
Decent team mates should normally respond to it. If not they are shit.

Koren

???

If you're carrying the rainmaker backwards a warning appears on your screen to tell you not to do it. How the...
Well, it still happens in a couple B rank matches, I don't know...

Though you sometimes see people catching the rainmaker and running toward their side of the map when the timer is reaching 5:00 and their team is in the lead, it can make sense if:
- they can indeed be safe
- they don't go near the target, and don't come anywhere close to the opponent "record", and definitively not closer to their own team record

Seas snails are gained from Splatfests.

AFAIK you get ability chunks by "scrubbing gear" with Murch. Haven't used any yet - still scrubbing - but it seems there is an amount you have to have to add the perk you want i.e. Ink Saver Main = 10x chunks. Not sure if it's 10 scrubbed ISMs or 10 in general.

Ok, so with the ability chunks gained ( when you have the correct amount) you get to choose your own abilities?

Wait is there some enemy that steals your eggs? I barely payed attention, but I thought I saw my teammates shooting something on our basket.

I was so distracted with those guys who dropped the boxes I didn't really look.

pringles

I have yet to win a Mothership round.
Those rounds are so easy if the team knows what they're doing. I usually spend most of those rounds just swatting those flying fish out of the air and I let the rest of the team pick up eggs, only bringing back eggs to the basket when the mothership comes in.

Actually that's a strategy that seems to to work well most of the time. Depending on your weapon, focus on taking down enemies instead of constantly scrambling to collect eggs. For example if I get the heavy splatling, I mainly provide support and take out bosses while the rest of the team with more mobile weapons collect the eggs.
Wait is there some enemy that steals your eggs? I barely payed attention, but I thought I saw my teammates shooting something on our basket.

Yeah you get a message that the mothership is closing in, and if your team is worth a damn they're likely spamming "This way" for everyone to protect the basket. It's real easy, 1 or 2 players can usually fight it off but it helps to be more.

Ridley327

I have yet to win a Mothership round.

The game has been out for close to a month now, and I do not understand how more people don't immediately converge on the basket as soon as the message comes up that the mothership is approaching. Is it that rare a special wave compared to the others?

Ridley327

There's two different colored Chums: the yellows you're most familiar with, but whenever an egg is loose, a blue Chum will spawn after a few seconds with the express purpose of grabbing eggs and removing them from the stage permanently. They can grab up to three eggs at a time, which makes them rather bothersome if you let them go, but you can actually use that to your advantage as they will not leave until they have all the eggs available to their proximity, and as soon as they die, every egg will drop to where they were originally. That's why leaving just one egg behind isn't advisable, since they'll book it as soon as they have it.

I stink, and every team I'm on seems to be getting worse at Salmon Run.

I feel that's due to Mr. Grizz's leniency. He gives 20 points for every successful run but only docks 10 points for a bad run, 0 if it ended on Wave 3. With persistence and some luck, anyone can be carried to Pro.

Had a Charger just shoot at Flyfish one time. That was...slightly aggravating. Maybe they forgot their training (I don't recall Flyfish showing up at lower ranks). Maybe they thought that Chargers pierce the same way Sting Rays pierce, which'd actually be understandable. Maybe someone other than the account owner was playing. I don't know, but they did it in a Pro run where you'd think everyone knows the game inside-out.

Doorman

Or maybe Flyfishes are just stupid dumpsters that should be nerfed.

I've said it before, they mostly just need their recycling bin-launchers to be larger and a little deeper. If you're going to make something require two grenades or a particular special weapon to destroy (literally the highest resource-to-kill enemy in the entire mode), they should make it slightly easier for those two grenades to land.

I had one during the previous session where I threw two grenades straight into the bin, but thanks to momentum and the shallow lip of the bins, they just rolled right out, allowing him to get the full volley off. Then you have to wait around for another 5-10 seconds for him to reposition and open again for more. Aggravating.

HeroR

Never thought I would reached this point, I am at 110% Professional!

.....I'm going to die the next time I play Salmon Run. lol

Yeah it was insane the amount of killing. Again it was with three Japanese people.

Yeah you get a message that the mothership is closing in, and if your team is worth a damn they're likely spamming "This way" for everyone to protect the basket. It's real easy, 1 or 2 players can usually fight it off but it helps to be more.

That's my fault then. I didn't know that was a thing and I did pay attention.

Seriously they should be nerfed a little.

Instead of nerfing Flyfish (though that would be nice!), Splat Bombs -> Burst Bombs.

Burst Bombs explode instantly while requiring less ink (i.e. Flyfish become sanely solo-able). The only other boss that requires bombs, Maws, has a certain timing to them that you can land the quick kill without the bomb ever touching the ground if you practice a bit. Oh, and Bomb Rush becomes a less shitty special. Hate getting that one. <.<

Ridley327

I think an easy fix for a Flyfish would be to allow the bins to be damaged with any weapon, rather than explosives/Sting Ray. You would still need the proper range to get in there (making short-range weapons more or less useless against it), and you can apply whatever resistances to normal inking to not make it trivial to deal with them, similar to what you already have with Maws.

Alternatively, throwing in Burst Bombs as a sub-weapon option would be incredibly helpful, since you'd get immediate feedback.

Instead of nerfing Flyfish (though that would be nice!), Splat Bombs -> Burst Bombs.

Burst Bombs explode instantly while requiring less ink (i.e. Flyfish become sanely solo-able). The only other boss that requires bombs, Maws, has a certain timing to them that you can land the quick kill without the bomb ever touching the ground if you practice a bit. Oh, and Bomb Rush becomes a less shitty special. Hate getting that one. <.<

I think hitting the part that actually damages the Flyfish would be much harder with a burst bomb. When you try killing one with an Inkjet you realize how small the actual weak point is.

Edit: Having selectable bombs would be amazing though. Curling bomb would be broken probably, but still

random25

Carrying the Salmon Run team in every round on consecutive games can be stressful lol. C'mon Carbon Roller you should be busy collecting eggs.

Ridley327

I think hitting the part that actually damages the Flyfish would be much harder with a burst bomb. When you try killing one with an Inkjet you realize how small the actual weak point is.

Edit: Having selectable bombs would be amazing though. Curling bomb would be broken probably, but still

Considering the amount of uneven surfaces present on the maps, and the whole "Flyfish laugh at you" thing that's inherent to their design, I think the balancing for curling bombs is already done for them. Maws might be a bit weird with them, though I wonder if it's possible to program him in a way where a player with a curling bomb could use it as a decoy to lure him away from other players.

Eh, feel that's more the Inkjet's elevation than anything. Bombs fly higher and arc to avoid hitting the rim.

Additional merits for Burst Bombs:
Sometimes you just have to shoot things. Some weapons having severe ink consumption makes taking out even one launcher next to impossible unless you plan on dying.
Sometimes you take a frying pan to the face because of Smallfry. >.>

-

Do like the idea of being able to select a bomb, though we'll definitely need to nerf Flyfish before that happens. Good luck getting a Curling Bomb into the bins. :p

Kebiinu

Banned
Really loving this Umbrella weapon. Pulling in over 2000 every win!

Edit: Well...not every win, lol. But still pulling in big ass numbers.

Why does nobody run eggs back in that new “bust a pipe” salmon mode run? Every team I’ve played with just keeps trying to find the Goldie instead of running back 4 eggs then searching again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom