• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 runs at 60fps, 1080p

jobrro

I think ever is bit of a strong word to use here. I don't think they had any meaningful progress in porting the game over but it's a definitely more than just a tad samey to Splatoon 1.

Would explain some early rumors regarding Splatoon on Switch.

Absolutely similar to the first. I think it's a particularly striking because it is rare for Nintendo to release such similar games in a short span. They usually say if they can't think of something drastically different why make the sequel. Personally I am glad they went for a full blown sequel than Splatoon Deluxe. It's not like other game companies don't put out somewhat iterative titles and I honestly would rather Nintendo become more open to it. Sometimes you don't want a game to break new ground, sometimes it's just nice to be able to play it on the current platform.

beril

I think ever is bit of a strong word to use here. I don't think they had any meaningful progress in porting the game over but it's a definitely more than just a tad samey to Splatoon 1.

It's only been two years since Splatoon 1. It's pretty safe to assume they started working on the sequel almost instantly in order to get it out now. And the easiest way to explain rumors is that they were wrong. By the time the more solid rumors started going around they would certainly have started working on Splatoon 2

hatchx

Banned
If a game is built ground up for Switch I expect a resolution above what we had on WiiU. Plain and simple. 60fps is preferable too but I want it above 720p. Its fine if you feel different.

Oh I absolutely agree for something like splatoon or Mario kart which is an upgrade to a 720p wiiU title, but I don't think it's fair to suggest every ground-up switch games should be 900p or higher. If the game is pushing the hardware in other ways, a resolution trade off is fine. I believe Super Mario Odyssey is 720p and I'll take it for a solid frame rate, draw distance, scope, and improved load times.

With that said splatoon 2 is 1080/60 and so are most of nintendos 1st party games so we have nothing to be upset about.

Sendou

Absolutely similar to the first. I think it's a particularly striking because it is rare for Nintendo to release such similar games in a short span. They usually say if they can't think of something drastically different why make the sequel. Personally I am glad they went for a full blown sequel than Splatoon Deluxe. It's not like other game companies don't put out somewhat iterative titles and I honestly would rather Nintendo become more open to it. Sometimes you don't want a game to break new ground, sometimes it's just nice to be able to play it on the current platform.

Absolutely. How long would something like this take to develop anyway? Splatoon is barely two years old. So they had to start planning right after Splatoon launch - even before they knew for sure it was going to be the hit it was.

I don't think it's very Nintendo-like if they said in that situation "make a full-blown sequel for Switch launch window WHILE supporting Splatoon 1". Making a completely new game is more expensive but probably was starting to seem like a more worthwhile investment when Splatoon exceeded all expectations.

And yes Splatoon 1 is my favorite game of all time but also fundamentally flawed in its very core. Fixing it easily wouldn't have been possible. Well be as it may I hope we'll get something in the spirit of Iwata Asks regarding this title. I'm sure the development history is fascinating.

Great news! I was expecting that resolution bump. Already day 1 but it's always nice to have Splatoon as clean as posible :)

Crossing fingers that Nintendo is secretly working on a patch to bump BotW's resolution to 1080p.

I think its doable. Waiting for DLC with performance boost!!

D.Lo

I've played the first Splatoon for nearly 2500 hours at this point and it varies by stage but the dips definitely are there and frequent. I watched the DF footage on YouTube and seems like they didn't test any of the stages (well stage at the time the video was released - Skatepark) nor did they play in a way that really brings the dips out (for example I saw Bomb Rush being used 0 times).

I'm not even that sensitive to dips in framerate but they're hard to miss. One of the things I want them to fix in the sequel.
2500 hours?

Over three hours a day every single day for two years?

E-phonk

Banned

Those rumors are easy to explain: someone somewhere saw an early technical showcase of games running on switch from nintendo that included splatoon 2, which they confused as splatoon.

The Boat

I've played the first Splatoon for nearly 2500 hours at this point and it varies by stage but the dips definitely are there and frequent. I watched the DF footage on YouTube and seems like they didn't test any of the stages (well stage at the time the video was released - Skatepark) nor did they play in a way that really brings the dips out (for example I saw Bomb Rush being used 0 times).

I'm not even that sensitive to dips in framerate but they're hard to miss. One of the things I want them to fix in the sequel.
I don't think I ever noticed any dips lol

Oh I absolutely agree for something like splatoon or Mario kart which is an upgrade to a 720p wiiU title, but I don't think it's fair to suggest every ground-up switch games should be 900p or higher. If the game is pushing the hardware in other ways, a resolution trade off is fine. I believe Super Mario Odyssey is 720p and I'll take it for a solid frame rate, draw distance, scope, and improved load times.

With that said splatoon 2 is 1080/60 and so are most of nintendos 1st party games so we have nothing to be upset about.

I'm not saying it to be fair. I'm saying it's what I want. It's not like I wont buy it if its 720p but ai def will complain.

Sendou

2500 hours?

Over three hours a day every single day for two years?

Yeah basically. Although it was more concentrated than that (I've done probably over 50 tournaments by now and those tend to add 6 hours to the clock each for example). I mean a good portion of it is just waiting in lobby but hard to say how much exactly. Barely played other games since Splatoon launch compared to before.

I'm not saying it to be fair. I'm saying it's what I want. It's not like I wont buy it if its 720p but ai def will complain.

I would have been disappointed if they didn't manage over 720p too. It's not the most important thing in a game but it's definitely nice to have in 2017.

Those rumors are easy to explain: someone somewhere saw an early technical showcase of games running on switch from nintendo that included splatoon 2, which they confused as splatoon.

That's definitely one of the options. Never will forget how majority of the GAF seemed to think judging from the October reveal that Splatoon 2 shown was a mere port.

Zoomed in to have a close look at the edges and tried a bit of pixel counting. A little tricky to tell with the heavy post process AA but I did manage to find a clean edge and it does appear to be a native 1280 pixels horizontally.

Cheers. Pokken on Wii U was such an eyesore that I was surprised that it was running at 720p, I thought it was 960 x 544 given how obvious the jaggies were.

Absolutely. How long would something like this take to develop anyway? Splatoon is barely two years old. So they had to start planning right after Splatoon launch - even before they knew for sure it was going to be the hit it was.

I don't think it's very Nintendo-like if they said in that situation "make a full-blown sequel for Switch launch window WHILE supporting Splatoon 1". Making a completely new game is more expensive but probably was starting to seem like a more worthwhile investment when Splatoon exceeded all expectations.

And yes Splatoon 1 is my favorite game of all time but also fundamentally flawed in its very core. Fixing it easily wouldn't have been possible. Well be as it may I hope we'll get something in the spirit of Iwata Asks regarding this title. I'm sure the development history is fascinating.

The alternative could be that the ideas they didnt put into Splatoon 1 moved over to Splatoon 2 ... OR game modes and maps they created moved over that were planned as DLC.

I think the idea is that Splatoon 2 was not developed for the Switch from the ground up because the bare bones of 1 were laying around to be ported. Had they created the game from scratch for the Switch we may have seen much more graphical improvements possibly.

I highly doubt Splatoon 2 was built from the ground up on the Switch considering the game originated on the Wii U... Like Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart, and Pokken they ported the games over. I believe Mario Odyssey as well was most likely a Wii U title moved over to the Switch.
You realize Splatoon was released around the time the NX was announced, yes?

noshten

In all likelihood Splatoon 2 started being developed after August 2015, that's when the big update dropped and it was already clear it was about to repeat/outdo MK8 sales in Japan. At that stage Nintendo knew they might have the biggest console game in Japan and they quickly moved towards getting Splatoon ready for the NX.
Keep in mind the original Splatoon also had a dev cycle of around 2 years and Splatoon 2 utilizing the base could quickly capitalize on the popularity of the game.

Top Bottom