• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 runs at 60fps, 1080p

Hex

Banned
1080p60 the GOAT. Nintendoes what Sony/MS doesn't.

Is this really what happens in here?
I was going to just say good on the devs the game will feell great but I am getting a contact buzz from insanity that is giving me a migraine quickly......

Anyway ..great showcase game, quite fun.

Zedark

This is great. Splatoon 1 had real issues with slowdown when it gets hectic, and the motion controls work particularly badly in that situation. Solid framerate sounds great.
DF said in their analysis of the testfire that Splatoon 2 was even more locked than the original Splatoon: not a single drop was found, whereas Splatoon 1 suffered from rare slowdown. Same thing with ARMS: they recorded 3 hours of footage from an event they went to, and in those 3 hours not one frame was dropped.

Rodin

Is this really what happens in here?
I was going to just say good on the devs the game will feell great but I am getting a contact buzz from insanity that is giving me a migraine quickly......

Anyway ..great showcase game, quite fun.
Aside from the fact that "nintendoes" should suggest an obvious joke... Sony and Microsoft prioritize 60fps? Did i miss something?

sensi97

Aside from the fact that "nintendoes" should suggest an obvious joke... Sony and Microsoft prioritize 60fps? Did i miss something?
Aren't both Halo 5 and Uncharted 4 multiplayer 60 fps ?
Forza Horizon and DriveClub run at 30 fps but Forza Motorsport and GT are 60 fps games.

It depends on the genre. Nintendo didn't prioritize 60 fps for Zelda BotW.

edit: if we add another genre with ARMS, we can compare it with Killer Instinct, a 60 fps game too, obviously. It really depends on the type of game we're talking about.

13ruce

Banned
On of the only competitive Multiplayer games i enjoy tbh i am more of a coop work together guy but Splatoon and Arms and GTA V are the only Competetive multiplayers i like nowadays.

Shooters like COD and Battlefield and Battlefront + Overwatch make me stress and curse too much instead of having fun thats why i prefer big open world multiplayers or coop games normally.

And now INk Turf in 60fps + 1080P goodness
Ohman i am certainly ready!

El Sabroso

Will DF conduct a new analysis of the latest builds?

The entire Direct/Treehouse stream was at 720p, perhaps to compensate for all that bandwidth of people watching.

I am taking that into account, and if we look at previous content or any stream of testfire, jaggies are easily noticeable on 720 feeds when characters are on results screens, obviously not taking map action since will be less discernible, and either can be a result of just having now AA

of course we need some DF right there to compare if they got any direct feed of this new E3 build

Wonder what kinda work Nvidia did with the API for the Switch and how this has impacted performance? Interesting we are seeing this kind of performance on a mobile platform.

The Shield TV already has a version of Tomb Raider running on it at 720p / 30 fps already.Wonder if it would run better on the Switch APi.

phanphare

Banned
There was offline. But the mode was simple.

I just wanted salmon run 2 player split screen. I shouldn't have assumed it was in though.

there wasn't any split screen, the mode you're thinking of was one person on the tv and one person on the gamepad

and the game dropped to 30fps for it

Wonder what kinda work Nvidia did with the API for the Switch and how this has impacted performance? Interesting we are seeing this kind of performance on a mobile platform.

The Shield TV already has a version of Tomb Raider running on it at 720p / 30 fps already.Wonder if it would run better on the Switch APi.

Yeah, the Shield TV version of 360/PS3 Tomb Raider runninga t 720p/30 is precisely why Android and OpenGL arent working well despite Shield TV being significantly more capable than a 360. iirc Digital Foundry used it as an example of a game that was held back by the hardware and Android.

This video give the idea the game will hitting 1080p at time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX74XA0f_tA

The game UI is now 1080p and the game running between 1080p-720p range (dynamic Res)

Nice find. Yeah, the HUD is 1080p and it seems like a dynamic res setup. I hope there are still improvements to portable mode, since the HUD on that was already crisp and native at all times but the occasional drops to 540p res were noticeable and unfortunate compared with BotW's.

Yeah, the Shield TV version of 360/PS3 Tomb Raider runninga t 720p/30 is precisely why Android and OpenGL arent working well despite Shield TV being significantly more capable than a 360. iirc Digital Foundry used it as an example of a game that was held back by the hardware and Android.

Ya I was figuring that android may be the key factor there.. Would be cool if the Switch was able to push the same games a little further maybe 720 / 60 fps or highter.

I am actually kinda wondering why NBA Jam and Portal / Borderlands werent ported either to the Switch considering the Shield TV has had these games for a while.

dannie

Nice find. Yeah, the HUD is 1080p and it seems like a dynamic res setup. I hope there are still improvements to portable mode, since the HUD on that was already crisp and native at all times but the occasional drops to 540p res were noticeable and unfortunate compared with BotW's.
I think portable mode will stay 720p all the time in final version~The only problem I have in testfire is portable mode low res

Luigiv

The horizontal resolution looks iffy on Pokken, hope it's not 960 x 720 again...

Zoomed in to have a close look at the edges and tried a bit of pixel counting. A little tricky to tell with the heavy post process AA but I did manage to find a clean edge and it does appear to be a native 1280 pixels horizontally.

jobrro

This reignites my want for the game. Played a lot of the original so was on the fence but if this is 1080p with a good campaign I am in.

Zoomed in to have a close look at the edges and tried a bit of pixel counting. A little tricky to tell with the heavy post process AA but I did manage to find a clean edge and it does appear to be a native 1280 pixels horizontally.

The release date is listed as Sept. 22 for Pokken so maybe it will get the Splatoon 2 uprez treatment?

Good to hear. The poor image quality in the first game was a bit of a sticking point for me. The new one should look pretty beautiful in motion.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So I guess they aim for 720p for portable to begin with and then push for higher res on docked later in development when they've reached the portable goal.

Wouldn't surprise me if SMO ends up with 1080/60 too for docked at release.

hatchx

Banned
720p is some bullshit for an exclusive Switch game. Not gonna pretend I don't expect at least 900p docked for Switch exclusives.

This is kind of silly. If the game is really pushing boundaries in other ways, going to 720p is a fair trade off. I'd rather 60fps and good performance vs a resolution bump, and I think most feel the same.

Sendou

Going by DF's analysis it had some very brief dips at times, the biggest I saw was it dropping to 57 FPS lol. That's not a lot of dips :p

I've played the first Splatoon for nearly 2500 hours at this point and it varies by stage but the dips definitely are there and frequent. I watched the DF footage on YouTube and seems like they didn't test any of the stages (well stage at the time the video was released - Skatepark) nor did they play in a way that really brings the dips out (for example I saw Bomb Rush being used 0 times).

I'm not even that sensitive to dips in framerate but they're hard to miss. One of the things I want them to fix in the sequel.

This is kind of silly. If the game is really pushing boundaries in other ways, going to 720p is a fair trade off. I'd rather 60fps and good performance vs a resolution bump, and I think most feel the same.

If a game is built ground up for Switch I expect a resolution above what we had on WiiU. Plain and simple. 60fps is preferable too but I want it above 720p. Its fine if you feel different.

If a game is built ground up for Switch I expect a resolution above what we had on WiiU. Plain and simple. 60fps is preferable too but I want it above 720p. Its fine if you feel different.

I highly doubt Splatoon 2 was built from the ground up on the Switch considering the game originated on the Wii U... Like Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart, and Pokken they ported the games over. I believe Mario Odyssey as well was most likely a Wii U title moved over to the Switch.

BOTW and Mario Kart 8 and now Splatoon 2 have shown improvements in performance and resolution over their Wii U counterparts.

Sendou

I highly doubt Splatoon 2 was built from the ground up on the Switch considering the game originated on the Wii U... Like Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart, and Pokken they ported the games over. I believe Mario Odyssey as well was most likely a Wii U title moved over to the Switch.

Yeah I'd be very surprised to hear if they'd say the game didn't start as a direct port of Splatoon 1.

That said graphically it's more different than MK8D or BOTW.

BOTW and Mario Kart 8 and now Splatoon 2 have shown improvements in performance and resolution over their Wii U counterparts.

I doubt Splatoon 2 started as a port, but it is likely they just ported over the Wii U engine. Probably same for Mario Odyssey- I doubt it was ever considered for release on Wii U but the engine is probably ported from the version on that console.

But I doubt that will really matter, SMO textures and lighting already look far better than they did at the January reveal, and Splatoon 2 got boosted to 1080p 60fps, so clearly Nintendo is optimizing the engines for the new hardware. It may be one of the last steps in development, but it seems to be happening nonetheless.

BotW is likely a case where the game was just rushed to meet the launch date and they couldn't do all of the optimization they would've liked to. Which we saw some evidence of in those performance boosting patches.

beril

Obviously the game reuses the engine and a lot of the code base from Splatoon 1, but they sure as hell didn't start making a Splatoon 2 for Wii U in 2015.

Yeah I'd be very surprised to hear if they'd say the game didn't start as a direct port of Splatoon 1.

That said graphically it's more different than MK8D or BOTW.

It would also be rather silly to believe that they ever planned it as a straight port, but somehow were able to change it into a full sequel and still release it just a few months after the console launch.

Sendou

It would also be rather silly to believe that they ever planned it as a straight port, but somehow were able to change it into a full sequel and still release it just a few months after the console launch.

I think ever is bit of a strong word to use here. I don't think they had any meaningful progress in porting the game over but it's a definitely more than just a tad samey to Splatoon 1.

Would explain some early rumors regarding Splatoon on Switch.

Top Bottom