• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yooo what! An official tumblr?! Has Nintendo ever made a tumblr for any of their games before? I don't even think they have an official Nintendo tumblr either.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is there any case of a 3rd person shooter game with pointer controls? If so, was it any good?

There are plenty of third-person games with pointer controls on Wii; I can't think of any multiplayer games offhand, but Sin & Punishment 2 and Resident Evil 4 are obvious single-player examples, and yeah, they worked fine.

TheMoon

Is there any case of a 3rd person shooter game with pointer controls? If so, was it any good?

Resident Evil 4, Sin & Punishment 2, Epic Mickey 1+2, Link's Crossbow Training, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Blast ...I'm probably forgetting some.

It really doesn't matter if it's third person or first person. The benefit remains intact either way.

Wouldn't the game have to support them for local multiplayer (this game does support local multiplayer, right?).

Yes. I feel like we're answering this question on every page lol.

llehuty

Resident Evil 4, Sin & Punishment 2, Epic Mickey 1+2, Link's Crossbow Training, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Blast ...I'm probably forgetting some.

It really doesn't matter if it's third person or first person. The benefit remains intact either way.

Ah, cool. just couldn't think of any. Adding Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword is strechin it a bit though, since it's not constanly on.

Also, Skyward Sword weren't pointer controls.

TheMoon

Ah, cool. just couldn't think of any. Adding Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword is strechin it a bit though, since it's not constanly on.

Also, Skyward Sword weren't pointer controls.

Doesn't matter, you control a reticle via motion control to shoot. We don't even know if the supposed Wiimote controls in Splatoon would be simple pointer controls or also gyro based like in SS. It just matters that they work in both games.

llehuty

Doesn't matter, you control a reticle via motion control to shoot. We don't even know if the supposed Wiimote controls in Splatoon would be simple pointer controls or also gyro based like in SS. It just matters that they work in both games.

I agree. I liked better gyro based, but I have no problem with any of those.

To be honest. I hope the Japanese twitter can keep being translated.
Even with NOA's tumblr.
Considering the missing tweet and the fact the US translations don't really seem 100% direct translations. I would like to see the differences.

A new one
調査員が興奮気味に報告を送ってきた。
タコに新種が発見されたとのことだ。通常のタコよりも強力な攻撃を仕掛けてくるらしい。
弱いタコが足1本で、強いタコが足2本。
なんとも安直な……あ、いや失礼。見るからに手ごわそうだ。
B5C-BFDCYAATNWc.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/545144483164086274

cloudyboy

Neo Member
that background is quite breathtakinge honestly.

also It seem like they have changed the models of the octopi to have two pigtails like tentacle, and not just a single tentacle with a face.

TheMoon

also It seem like they have changed the models of the octopi to have two pigtails like tentacle, and not just a single tentacle with a face.

Octopi have style too, maybe one likes two pigtails, another one prefers just having one!

I hope it's just a special enemy. They may a note about how the enemy octopuses seem to just be individual tentacles with legs for some reason. This new enemy just looks weird (from a concept standpoint) if it's just a square body with two tentacles growing out of it.

I liked the idea that the enemies where just individual mutated tentacles.

As for the background I love the idea that this is taking place on the rusted remnants of humanity. Allows the colorful ink to stick out that much more.

MrBadger

Super Mario Galaxy 2? Pointer controls for Yoshi and collecting star bits worked well

TheMoon

Super Mario Galaxy 2? Pointer controls for Yoshi and collecting star bits worked well

Ah yes, this too. Basically everything with pointer controls = ace lol.

Unless done poorly by some third party launch game (= Splinter Cell Double Agent)

They didn't name the Charge Shot Gun. Or called her cute. Come now NoA.
This is why I hope the JP Splatoon twitter keeps being translated here to see the differences.

調査員が興奮気味に報告を送ってきた。
タコに新種が発見されたとのことだ。通常のタコよりも強力な攻撃を仕掛けてくるらしい。
弱いタコが足1本で、強いタコが足2本。
なんとも安直な……あ、いや失礼。見るからに手ごわそうだ。

Google translate:
"Investigator has been sent a report to the excitement.
The thing with the new species have been discovered in the octopus. It seems come launch a powerful attack than normal octopus.
Weak octopus with one foot, two strong octopus legs.
Downright simplistic ...... Ah, no rude. It's Tegowa likely to visibly."

イカ研究所の調査報告だ。 これは地下基地に設置されている仕掛けのひとつ。レールのようにつながったインクの中を、イカになって進むことができるらしい。インクに潜ることができるイカならではの移動方法だ。それにしても、なんだか窮屈そうだ。

Google translate:
Squid's Institute of investigation report. This is one of the mechanism that is installed underground base. Through the ink led to the rail, it seems possible to proceed to become the squid. It's squid unique way of moving that you can dive into the ink. Even so, it's somewhat cramped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that this game is also (obviously, for a N game?) increasing its visual quality from last E3 videos. nice small touches all around

TheMoon

I love how you can tell when GAF found the Splatoon tumbler account. The notes for each posting jumped from 20-30 to 1100.

It's less that "GAF found it," it's more that NOA's twitter actually mentioned it finally. Which they didn't before.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yes, the only one in the whooole world!

I hope this game will be fun to play locally with 2 people. Will there be co op?

There will be local multiplayer for at least two players, but they haven't really talked about any of the multiplayer modes beyond standard 3v3 team deathmatch, so we have no idea if there'll be any sort of PvE or horde mode or whatever.

jp4464

Neo Member
Miyamoto reveals a teensy bit more information during his Nerdy Nummies appearance.
He explains – with Trinen translating – that the game features “a squid-boy and a squid-girl, but really the squid-girl is the main character.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUcDkNI24o
http://www.pixeldynamo.com/news/gaming/2014/12/17/44318/shigeru-miyamoto-appears-on-nerdy-nummies/

Squid girl is the main character. Not really surprising consiring she's been featured more

Dude I want that Splatoon shirt so bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom