• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Squid girl is the main character. Not really surprising consiring she's been featured more
Eh.. this is a create a charcter game it seems, if you can take yoru guy into campaign with you, whoever you want will be the main character.

Calling her the main character would feel weird, not because I hate women or some Gamer Gate nonsense. But because I have a a shit ton of female create a characters in games with dudes on the box like mass effect, Saints row 4, And even fire emblem, and they are just as much as the protagonist as the guy. And I believe the same for the reverse, I wouldn't want to invalidate someone's character like that, so if thats the case, the main character is who you make.If that makes sens.e

Eh.. this is a create a charcter game it seems, if you can take yoru guy into campaign with you, whoever you want will be the main character.

Calling her the main character would feel weird, not because I hate women or some Gamer Gate nonsense. But because I have a a shit ton of female create a characters in games with dudes on the box like mass effect, Saints row 4, And even fire emblem, and they are just as much as the protagonist as the guy. And I believe the same for the reverse, I wouldn't want to invalidate someone's character like that, so if thats the case, the main character is who you make.If that makes sens.e

Nope @ Bolded, main character's the Squid girl cause that's the character that's gonna be marketed as the main apparently.

It seems a little like TF2 having Heavy being pushed everywhere by default, despite him having no special status within the game itself. It may not qualify as a main character treatment technically, but it is something.

Village

Nope @ Bolded, main character's the Squid girl cause that's the character that's gonna be marketed as the main apparently.

Eh , She's the face, generic character. If this is a create a character, the protagonist is whoever you want it to be.

Like FEA for example, male robin was put out as the face. Many others feel differently.

DaBoss

It seems a little like TF2 having Heavy being pushed everywhere by default, despite him having no special status within the game itself. It may not qualify as a main character treatment technically, but it is something.
Yea, exactly. Squid girl is basically the default. If you want to play as a boy, then go ahead. The marketing will not affect that in anyway.

Put it this way; when Inkling winds up in Smash Bros., kind of like how Villager's default look was the one that was on the cover of the last Wii game, the Inkling's default look will be the girl with the orange hair they're marketing the most.

New tweet:
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/545870146372251648
イカとタコが近縁種だというのは想像がつくだろうが、巻貝もイカやタコに近い仲間だと言われている。イカの胴の中にある骨のように堅い部位は、貝殻の名残りらしい。 見た目は似ていないイカと貝だが、確かに、美味いという点では共通している。

Google translate:
The that's squid and octopus is closely related species would be imagined, but snails also I have been said to fellow close to the squid and octopus. Stiff sites like bone that is in the squid of dough seems remnants of shells. It looks it's squid and shellfish that are not similar but, certainly, have in common in terms of delicious.

No one linked this tweet? https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/545514715468689408

Sounds like Splatoon will be at the Game Party Japan at the end of this month. Hope someone is going and can get us some more coverage.

速報が入った。 「1/31(土)、2/1(日)に幕張メッセで開催されるニコニコ闘会議で、『スプラトゥーン』が国内初プレイアブル出展!ゲームにちなんだリアルイベントも開催!」だと? 例のイカに関することなら、我々も調査員を派遣せねば…! http://tokaigi.jp/

Google translate:
Breaking entered. "1/31 (Sat), 2/1 (Sun) to smile Compete conference to be held in Makuhari Messe," Splatoon "is also held real events named after the country's first playable exhibitors! Game!" When is it? If things related to squid of example, we also I must dispatch the investigator ...!

I think it says January 31th and February 1st, not December.

From what I gather from that poor translation...
Agreed. Splatoon event at January 31th and February 1st,

And they'll hold real live turf war at the party.

1217_splatoon.jpg

Eh , She's the face, generic character. If this is a create a character, the protagonist is whoever you want it to be.

Like FEA for example, male robin was put out as the face. Many others feel differently.

Miyamoto literally said she's the main character. This isn't up for debate

pitt_norton

... so... a Splatoon event on January 31st and February 1st in japan...

... sigh, i have a hospital appointment... can't make it for play impressions... sigh

Crayolan

I have a feeling it's a create your character scenario in the multiplayer, but in the single player you play as a specific female inkling. Though we only know them all as generic inklings now some of them (like the starring female and the old admiral squid) will probably get names and distinct characteristics like voices (to speak in squid-gibberish of course).

Jintor

I have a feeling it's a create your character scenario in the multiplayer, but in the single player you play as a specific female inkling. Though we only know them all as generic inklings now some of them (like the starring female and the old admiral squid) will probably get names and distinct characteristics like voices (to speak in squid-gibberish of course).

There are some shots in the second trailer which seem to be story mode with a male Inkling

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Miyamoto said the squid girl is the face and the "main character" in a youtube interview.

TheMoon

Zero²;144092797 said:
Glad to hear it, I wonder what engine they are using to make this game, the art style is just so different :)

Nintendorando engine. A.k.a. Mario Karto 8 engine. A.k.a. the same thing they always use: a modified version of the one they used for other stuff ;D

black_clavus

Neo Member
New tweet,

yay

調査員から1枚の写真が送られてきた。
巨大な倉庫の内部のようだ。ここもナワバリバトルの格好の舞台となっているらしい。もちろん、ちゃんと倉庫の管理人に許可を取って、バトルが終わったらきちんと掃除をして帰るものと、私は信じている。

B5cvyE2CQAAm-lC.jpg

DizzyCrow

There is also original posts from the Tumblr(THIS IS NOT THE TRANSLATION!)
Hey! It’s a slow day here in the lab, so I thought I’d drop a few more squid facts on you guys. Did you know that there are over 15,000 squid species in the world? Most of them live in water-filled caves way beneath the ocean floor, pretty close to the Earth’s core, in fact. The intense heat down there has apparently resulted in some crazy mutations too. Not that we’ve ever seen any of them, mind you, as getting down there would require some kind of insane diamond-tipped drill-dozer machine. I imagine they’re pretty cool-looking, though.
#splatoon #squidlab #wiiu #nintendo #squid #facts #diamond-tipped drill-dozers

NotLiquid

A bit of a shame Nintendo is going with industrial looking levels.

There are nature-oriented areas in the game. One of the maps shown in the beginning of the recent trailer has a more resort-looking area to it.

That said I like the contrast it creates. You literally liven up the grey-looking areas with all sorts of paint, and it seems like a deliberate choice so the color stands out more.

New tweet,
yay

調査員から1枚の写真が送られてきた。
巨大な倉庫の内部のようだ。ここもナワバリバトルの格好の舞台となっているらしい。もちろん、ちゃんと倉庫の管理人に許可を取って、バトルが終わったらきちんと 掃除をして帰るものと、私は信じている。

B5cvyE2CQAAm-lC.jpg

google translate:
"One photo from the investigator has been sent.
It seems inside a huge warehouse. Here also seems to become the stage of looking for Nawabaribatoru. Of course, properly taking permission from the caretaker of the warehouse, and the things that go with a neat clean when finished battle, I believe."

NeonZ

Well, you can blame NoA (and now Smash) for that. The Japanese marketing for Awakening actually attempted to stay as neutral as possible as far as the avatar goes, which is why it's only shown as a hooded figure in the opening, and doesn't even have official artwork. Even in the game itself, although the cursor starts on the male avatar, the camera initially shows the female one before changing focus. They really seemed to try to be as neutral as possible there.

Nap1400

Check it out! One of our lab assistants just texted over this fascinating new image. It looks like the interior of a giant warehouse, and the location of some intense turf-war battles. I sure hope the squids get permission before going in here and clean up after themselves when they’re done…

NoA Tumblr

Penguin

New Tweet

Is this a boss/main enemy?

B5lz4tbCAAAwxD3.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/547596249629597696

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。
タコ軍団には、イカと同様、ヒトの姿に変身できるものがいるようだ。だが、不思議なことにメスの個体しか確認されていない。メスのタコだけが変身能力を持っているのだろうか?それとも単に誰かの趣味なのだろうか……?

Golnei

As far as shooter bosses go, I hope she'll be more in line with Dark Samus rather than being a glorified multiplayer bot. If they can manage to pull off the "Vergil" of third-person shooters
that aren't Vanquish
in addition to all of the other interesting stuff we've seen, Splatoon would inch even closer to perfection.

DaBoss

From what I can gather from what it says on Google Translate, I think it says octopus corps can also transform into humans, but only female ones have been confirmed in being able to transform. The guy is wondering if female ones are the only ones that are able to transform or if it is a hobby(???).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
From what I can gather from what it says on Google Translate, I think it says octopus corps can also transform into humans, but only female ones have been confirmed in being able to transform. The guy is wondering if female ones are the only ones that are able to transform or if it is a hobby(???).

Ive seen this anime

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If there are some octo girls as enemies the battles against them should be quite interesting, not being fixed like the other enemies that we saw until now.

It's interesting if you can play as an octo girl in MP.

JB2448

B5nIosyCUAAII9-.jpg:orig

いつもスケッチを送ってくれている調査員の1人から、クリスマスカード代わりに1枚のイラストが届いた。
どうやら彼も、すっかりイカの魅力に毒されているようだ。

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom