• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played Splatoon at the Press-Event at NoE a few weeks ago and several times back at gamesom. This game just don't need a voice chat. Matches are so fast and changes so fast and maps are so complicated, you can't even think about a tactic or something else. And talking with friends you say? Damn, if they are ur friends, talk with skype or Teamspeak. And not with the shitty Micro from the GamePad. And don't come with Heaset, maybe a handfull of Wii U owners got a Headset.

Soul Lab

Played Splatoon at the Press-Event at NoE, at back at gamesom. This game just don't need a voice chat. Matches are so fast and changes so fast and maps are so complicated, you can't even think about a tactic or something else. And talking with friends you say? Damn, if they are ur friends, talk with skype or Teamspeak. And not with the shitty Micro from the GamePad. And don't come with Heaset, maybe a handfull of Wii U owners got a Headset.

this! the big question is: Is there a lobby system?? I want to team up with a friend and join the queue. Smash is disappointing in this regard. "With friends only" and "randoms only" is not satisfying. so I'm worried

Javier

This. They aren't new levels. Instead the challenge is simple to beat existing levels with a different weapon provided. It's actually a smart way to handle this. They really just are bonus challenges with the ability to unlock an outfit and weapon.
So it's like the missions in Hyrule Warriors then.

I'm OK with stuff like that being locked behind amiibo.

J@hranimo

Banned
Played Splatoon at the Press-Event at NoE a few weeks ago and several times back at gamesom. This game just don't need a voice chat. Matches are so fast and changes so fast and maps are so complicated, you can't even think about a tactic or something else. And talking with friends you say? Damn, if they are ur friends, talk with skype or Teamspeak. And not with the shitty Micro from the GamePad. And don't come with Heaset, maybe a handfull of Wii U owners got a Headset.

This is good to hear. Hopefully you can clarify about the lobby system.

Regiruler

I'm going to bring this up here where the thread isn't moving a mile a minute.

I respect Amano for going with his vision if that's truly the reason there's no voice chat in the game. The resolution/other feature anology is immensely petty and doesn't grasp the intensity of his desire to reshape the genre.

That said, there are perfectly viable alternatives that we haven't seen fleshed out. While we have seen the d-pad used for lite communication, all but one of the messages have been too inane to be of any use, and if you can't change sets mid battle, with only two to chose from, it's not going to work at all. Four reasonably descriptive commands (backup/spread out/follow me/hold position) a la battlefront would suffice, or even better you could quick swap between 4 sets of three by pressing the one d-pad direction not assigned to a command.

NotLiquid

tumblr_nmjxh3F0Eo1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/115956209914/ranked-battle-report-sounds-like-ranked-battle

Ranked battle report! Sounds like “ranked battle” is an intense multiplayer mode for Inklings who are super serious about tracking wins and losses and trying to improve their rank. We’ve also gotten word that the Turf War matches we’ve been talking a lot about will be officially classified as “regular battles.” Ranked or regular, both sound really rawesome to this researcher! Roo hoo!

Vylash

this is what I don't get, voice chat is such a weird thing to get so upset about when there's other options like Skype, not to mention the mic on the gamepad is subpar at best, I can't tell if people are just looking for a reason to be angry or what

cacildo

It really dosent matter when people are dead set on complain mode.

But one thing i understood over here is that people actually change opinions when a game is actually released and they can play and see for themselves instead of just complain about every bullet point

i mean, it happened to Mario 3d World, which disappointed everybody at its first reveal at e3 (me included) and now is regarded as one of the best games this gen

Fandangox

It really dosent matter when people are dead set on complain mode.

But one thing i understood over here is that people actually change opinions when a game is actually released and they can play and see for themselves instead of just complain about every bullet point

That's ridiculous. Game looks very fun and I don't doubt I will enjoy it, but that doesn't invalidate my (or anyone's) complains about lack of voice chat.

Edit: Or any game really, The Wonderful 101 is probably on my top 5 ever but the game has its flaws and me having a really good time with the game doesn't mean those flaws don't exist.

cacildo

That's ridiculous. Game looks very fun and I don't doubt I will enjoy it, but that doesn't invalidate my (or anyone's) complains about lack of voice chat.

Edit: Or any game really, The Wonderful 101 is probably on my top 5 ever but the game has its flaws and me having a really good time with the game doesn't mean those flaws don't exist.

Did you read the post i quote?

Mesoian

No dude, come on. The action is not so frantic that your mind is literally unable to process the facilities to warn someone that someone is camping a hallway with the roller. Most shooters are faster than Splatoon.

cacildo

Yes. What does that change?

Its just a guy that played the game already saying the game is so fast all the "but i want to set tatics with my friends over voice chat" are almost useless

And that people are making like the game is ruined because there is no voice chat when in the end, when people finally be able to play it, they will see it dosent matter.

Fandangox

Its just a guy that played the game already saying the game is so fast all the "but i want to set tatics with my friends over voice chat" are almost useless

And that people are making like the game is ruined because there is no voice chat when in the end, when people finally be able to play it, they will see it dosent matter.

But that's just one person opinion on having playing the game once at an event, we don't know how the game's meta will evolve, what tactics could arise from gameplay, we don't even know all the multiplayer modes.

The last paragraph doesn't necessarily has to be true, for some people lack of voice chat is a deal breaker, so its not guarantee that they will change their opinion upon playing it.

I know this style isn't going to appeal to everyone but it's a striking one and they nailed every aspect of the charm and likability of a cast of brand new characters.

The presentation of this game is topnotch and right up my alley.

plank

I'm finding it kind of interesting that the usual blue/pink gender application is reversed here.

That was how it was like at the turn of the century. On a different note you can the subtle difference in girl and boy inklings not just the hair styles like most people are suggesting.

TheMoon

That was how it was like at the turn of the century. On a different note you can the subtle difference in girl and boy inklings not just the hair styles like most people are suggesting.

Yea, it's the eyes and eyebrows especially.

cacildo

But that's just one person opinion on having playing the game once at an event, we don't know how the game's meta will evolve, what tactics could arise from gameplay, we don't even know all the multiplayer modes.

The last paragraph doesn't necessarily has to be true, for some people lack of voice chat is a deal breaker, so its not guarantee that they will change their opinion upon playing it.

ok bro

I'm finding it kind of interesting that the usual blue/pink gender application is reversed here.

yeah i noticed this too. I think its pretty nice (dosent hurt that the rednders look great!)

"Ranked battle report! Sounds like “ranked battle” is an intense multiplayer mode for Inklings who are super serious about tracking wins and losses and trying to improve their rank. We’ve also gotten word that the Turf War matches we’ve been talking a lot about will be officially classified as “regular battles.” Ranked or regular, both sound really rawesome to this researcher! Roo hoo!"

And another update:

"Splat Zones report! We’ve gotten some new intel about the ranked battle mode called Splat Zones. Apparently the goal is to splatter set areas, or “zones,” with enough ink to gain control (unlike Turf War, in which you’re fighting to ink everything in sight!). As the two teams fight for control of a stage’s Splat Zones, it sounds like things can get pretty intense! Sounds kinda like us here in lab fighting over the good stapler!"

Splatoon Squidlab Nintendo WiiU Splat Zones We love a good stapler!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/115959281683/splat-zones-report-weve-gotten-some-new-intel#notes

Jintor

Hoyl fuck those renders look sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

i'll get on the translation wagon after i've finished studying for today ==;;

Fandangox

Of all the IPs Nintendo has Splatoon seems to really have a lot of potential as a cartoon
Because a Wonderful 101 one will never be made ;-;

"Ranked battle report! Sounds like “ranked battle” is an intense multiplayer mode for Inklings who are super serious about tracking wins and losses and trying to improve their rank. We’ve also gotten word that the Turf War matches we’ve been talking a lot about will be officially classified as “regular battles.” Ranked or regular, both sound really rawesome to this researcher! Roo hoo!"

And another update:

"Splat Zones report! We’ve gotten some new intel about the ranked battle mode called Splat Zones. Apparently the goal is to splatter set areas, or “zones,” with enough ink to gain control (unlike Turf War, in which you’re fighting to ink everything in sight!). As the two teams fight for control of a stage’s Splat Zones, it sounds like things can get pretty intense! Sounds kinda like us here in lab fighting over the good stapler!"

Splatoon Squidlab Nintendo WiiU Splat Zones We love a good stapler!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/115959281683/splat-zones-report-weve-gotten-some-new-intel#notes

And a third one. Busy day:

"Inkling girl amiibo report! This amiibo is just…so…beautiful… Look at her “hair” flowing in the breeze… Her mischievous eyes… Those sweet shoes… That stylish pose… The way she holds that Splattershot… Be still my heart!"

Splatoon SquidLab Nintendo WiiU amiibo Splatoon amiibo Inkling girl Splattershot
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/115984187096/inkling-girl-amiibo-report-this-amiibo-is#notes

Squid girls stealing your heart.... and hopefully soon taking over the world. Ika would be proud.

Jintor

コイツの名前は「タコダイバー」。
名の通り、タコのインクに潜る性能を持っているそうだ。
インク溜まりを見つけたら、コイツが潜んでいる可能性があるので要注意らしい。
それにしても、エラ呼吸のタコにシュノーケルは必要なのだろうか?

These guys are called Octodivers.

As the name suggests, looks like they've got the ability to dive into octopus ink.

If you see ink, there's every possibility this guy is lurking, so beware!

But it's kind of weird... Octopuses can breath underwater, so why do they need snorkels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom