• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: new info from Famitsu magazine (Hero Mode, multiplayer and more)

Foshy

So you were allowed to have games suitable for your age group when you were young but this new generation should just suck it up because games should now only be for grown ups?

No, they should be able to disable it so they don't have to put up with the shit spewing people. But give those who actually want to communicate the option to do so.

Xater

So you were allowed to have games suitable for your age group when you were young but this new generation should just suck it up because games should now only be for grown ups?

You mark the online mode with the disclaimer "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" like everyone else and it's fine. That's what parents are there for.

phanphare

Banned
Can't they just make voice chat friends only? It doesn't make sense to keep it completely out of a squad based online shooter.

this is probably what's happening, especially since the precedent is already set for their online games (Kart and Smash). read the wording of that point in the OP. "no communication with the players you are matched with." all we know right now is that if you're getting matched up with randoms you won't be able to talk to them. you wouldn't be matching with your friends.

Kid Ying

Well, i always mute everyone on my team when i play a multiplayer game, so no problem here.

And the eight player thing, since it doesnt seem to have lots of modes, i guess will not be a problem. You can play cod, which Jãs the same restriction, with ease on the wiiu, if you want tema deathmatch of course.

Pikma

Banned
Online experiences change. Your stuff will get abused everywhere. Everyone is fine with that but oh not Nintendo. This has nothing to do with maturity and with their weird policies.
Nah there's no abuse of any kind in Nintendo games, so it actually works. Well I'm glad it isn't about maturity because your lack of it is pretty clear.

To be fair, voice chat isn't a solution for worldwide random matches since it's highly likely your team isn't going to speak the same language.

There are many games that do this and have voice chat so I don't follow the logic. Yeah, you may end up with people speaking different languages from time to time, but I don't see why that invalidates the inclusion of voice chat whatsoever.

At the very least, like most of you are saying, give us friends chat.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You mark the online mode with the disclaimer "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" like everyone else and it's fine. That's what parents are there for.

Is it fine? As a parent wouldn't it be nice to know that the game is suitable for their child no matter what mode they play?

A squad based online shooter where teamwork is critical to success and it has no voice chat.

Just put a parental control pin prompt or something to control voice chat use/listening. I don't understand why they keep using this solution.
I play Counter Strike everyday and I couldn't care less to chat with random dudes, nor is this that important.
And since you play with random dudes all over the world, not everyone is going to speak fluent english.

More important would be quick voice-commands like in Counter Strike, I hope they implement this in Splatoon.

If you wan't to chat with your friends, start Skype or something like this.

Pikma

Banned
i am teh ignorant?

I am well aware. I also kinda don't see how it's relevant. We're not swapping pictures here. It's fucking voice chat.

Parental controls exist. Parents should use them.
Yeah and there's no way people will commit any kind of abuse using just voice chat right? Are you that naïve?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Is it fine? As a parent wouldn't it be nice to know that the game is suitable for their child no matter what mode they play?

You only have to turn on parental controls once.

Yeah and there's no way people will commit any kind of abuse using just voice chat right? Are you that naïve?

No, I'm an adult who would like to have my experience uninterrupted because of Nintendo's fear of 'the pedos'

Then Nintendo could include a password system that allows parents to lock voice chat behind it. That way they could never hear or use it while those that wanted to still could. Parents get what they want and people that want voice chat get what they want.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A squad based online shooter where teamwork is critical to success and it has no voice chat.

I understand the disappointment and i would wish Nintendo to implement such features just to avoid the bad feedback, but can you point what would voice chat do or help to do better in this game?

Memory

none in multiplayer

Matches are 2 teams of four players. The game won't make use of CPU fighters to fill in any gaps in the teams (say, if only 6 people are waiting for a match).

Thanks for the answers, What i mean is if there is a mode where AI populate all the spots? Offline AI multiplayer if you will.

If not then in the base package we have:

4v4 online mode
1v1 local co-op duel mode
Hero mode

Cuburt

Working on a local multiplayer mode in addition to online and Hero Mode
Local multiplayer confirmed is nice considering we've only seen LAN play in live demos.

Surprised no one is talking about this

-Hero mode is predominantly a 3D platformer with heavy emphasis on human-squid transformations

Should be fun, especially with traversing the environment/speedruns

-Game won't use CPU fighters; only once 8 human players have been found will a match start

Actually think it is a good idea for Nintendo. They don't have many people playing games online in general and I think putting the emphasis on community (with such little competition in the genre on the platform) is a better plan for giving the game legs in the long run rather than artificially boosting matches. Sure it can be a gamble but it seems Nintendo is pushing this in the way the title needs to be pushed and having a hit FPS online multiplayer game on their platform could have a big effect not only on the future of their own games but any potential 3rd party games as well.

-Having multiple modes with random matching would limit the number of players per mode, so all the focus is on the 4 vs. 4 for that

Just hearing how much this can be a problem with other games having secondary multiplayer modes turning into a ghosttown right away, I think this is a step in the right direction.

-No communication with players you are matched with
Considering most of the preceding bulletpoints were talking about random online match making, the way this is phrased make it seem like the same thing. Don't know why people are raging based on some translated bulletpoints. IIRC reps at E3 and possibly even the developers (don't remember for sure) were saying something about chatting with your team being something they were going to try to implement. I don't remember anything that sounded close to confirmation, but considering they know communication could be important (although not necessary due to what information, goals, etc. you have), I think it's more likely considering they removed other order communication and this game, unlike Smash and Mario Kart, requires more teamwork in able to win. Don't care to chat with randoms at all really. Chatting with friends is something I hope is actually included in this game.

openrob

I heard CoDs Wii U still get 1000+ players, fear not.

Yeah, ghosts still averages about 600 on any given day.

Really disappointed with the no in game chat...
But the way it's worded "no voice chat for players you are matched with". Does that mean voice chat for matches with friends?

jimi_dini

At the very least, like most of you are saying, give us friends chat.

Noone said anything about that yet.

They said
No communication with players you are matched with

Mario Kart 8 already allows voice chat between friends. Like it should be.

Don't allow trolls and assholes to shit-talk on Wii U and they will go to Playstation and Xbox instead. And I'm totally fine with that.

I played in a clan some ages ago. And I can definitely say that voice chat for tactical talk does not work as well as hotkeys. 3 people talking at the same time simply does not work and it takes time anyway to say "I'm getting attacked in the middle of the map on the left". Instead we just had hotkeys for specific points. One press, done.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I understand the disappointment and i would wish Nintendo to implement such features just to avoid the bad feedback, but can you point what would voice chat do or help to do better in this game?
Communicate? Co-ordinate as a team. The team can discuss what they're going into a match with, where they should focus on, call for backup, etc.

Man, hopefully Nintendo provides dedicated, regional (instead of worldwide) servers for their multiplayer games. I pretty much lost my motivation to play Smash 4 on 3DS because I cannot be bothered searching 5mins on average to get an opponent I can play against with low ping and little lag. And that's in 1v1 For Glory...

Pikma

Banned

But the way it's worded "no voice chat for players you are matched with". Does that mean voice chat for matches with friends?
Probably, just like MK and Smash, not sure if there'll be in game chat though

Volotaire

Really? Hmm. I might invest in a copy since it's quite cheap and for local co-op.

so glad they forgot about bloopers sheesh people love that Nintendo rehash

Splatoon is fine without Mario

no voice chat I called that so not shocked

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Communicate? Co-ordinate as a team. The team can discuss what they're going into a match with, where they should focus on, call for backup, etc.

It's a 2 or 3 minutes match. You can set strategy at the beginning, but during the game? Good luck with that. Call for backup? You're almost instantly dead when hit, you'll only lose precious time for your team. Remember, kills are not the main focus of it and not the main points maker here. You see in every moment on the map where your teammates are, how the map is painted in real time, where is the offensive and the defensive. You have the info on who died and where.

Edit: in the end it's a random matchmaking, your individual decisions matter more than everything.

Fandangox

Considering matches only start when there's eight players this is either going to have a long life or die immediately. I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Yeah if it really doesn't start until all players are in, that could really make it or break it.

Sterok

Not sure why anyone expected voice chats with randoms. That was never hapening. It's Nintendo. Now chat with friends will hopefully be in, at least pre-battle. No bots online is probably the right choice, but it needs to be able to match us quick. Everything else sounds good.

Thanks for the answers, What i mean is if there is a mode where AI populate all the spots? Offline AI multiplayer if you will.

If not then in the base package we have:

4v4 online mode
1v1 local co-op duel mode
Hero mode

As far as we know, that's what we have; yes.

I suppose how long/deep/exciting the single player mode is and whether or not there's any offline play of the turf wars will be interesting. It's also possible there's another mode they've not mentioned yet, I suppose. Something that's not super exciting on paper but might be fun to play (like battle mode in MK64).

Pikma

Banned
Yeah if it really doesn't start until all players are in, that could be an issue..
It's not an issue, Splinter Cell Blacklist, a WiiU game that sold like complete shit, has that and it's mp is still very healthy, add to that the fact that this will be a more straightforward games in terms of modes, so population won't spread too much around

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, is there a "with friends" multiplayer or "communities", or are we locked to teaming with randoms only?

Also, for such a team focused gamed, I find it odd that there is no communication methods. Though, if there is a "with friends" multiplayer, people could use other voice chat services; still inconvenient.

I play Counter Strike everyday and I couldn't care less to chat with random dudes, nor is this that important.

More important would be quick voice-commands like in Counter Strike, I hope they implement this in Splatoon.

If you wan't to chat with your friends, start Skype or something like this.

Splatoon is so different mechanically from something like Counter Strike though. It's something unique enough that people may not grasp it right away, so the inclusion of voice chat would make early days with this game a lot less frustrating.

Explaining mechanics to newer players in real time, asking for a teammate to jump to you to help cover a point or fight back an enemy, communicating that an enemy is flanking behind you or is in an especially annoying spot are a few examples. Voice chat would lend itself well to this game.

Mario Kart 8 already allows voice chat between friends. Like it should be.

Right. I'm hoping Splatoon continues the trend.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Explaining mechanics to newer players in real time, asking for a teammate to jump to you to help cover a point or fight back an enemy, communicating that an enemy is flanking behind you or is in an especially annoying spot.

Ok, I'll give you that. If you're able to do all these in those frantic 2-3 minutes while still covering enough ink to keep your team not falling behind, kudos to you.

I really hope they will have voice chat with friends.

Axass

Of course it's not incompetence. I don't see how one could think something like that about Nintendo.

It's a deliberate choice, one I absolutely don't agree with, one that really stands out in 2015. Still it's deliberate, not a matter of incompetence.

Frankly they should've offered in game parental controls, even turn the voice chat off by default, but still have the feature in. They're damaging millions of players due to a few assholes, they're possibly damaging the sales of their own game as well.

Santar

A real shame there's no bots, I always hope shooters have them as I don't play online much at all. Not sure I'll be getting this now.

Top Bottom