• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: new info from Famitsu magazine (Hero Mode, multiplayer and more)

Mesoian

Still waiting for solid word on voice chat with parties. Nintendo was always too conservative to allow it with randoms anyway.

Sort of boggles my mind that Nintendo wouldn't put in a cross game party chat feature to specifically avoid the problems with randos and chat. But, that being said, I don't know how much system ram that would eat up.

test_account

XP-39C²
They already told us they tested various sizes already. We ourselves know from past games how subpar an experience can be if the population doesn't match the map.

We should be demanding for quick replacements for disconnects if they haven't implemented it yet.

We should also demand being able to play the single player game while waiting for 7 more to queue up.
It would be even better if we could switch to virtual console games.
I know, but i'm only talking about starting the game with less than 8 players. Other players can join in later. Same thing with disconnecting as you mention, people should be able to join in even after the round has started.

Makonero

I'm just glad that there is local multiplayer. I'm assuming one person on the gamepad and one on the TV screen, but I was worried for awhile that there wouldn't be any.

It would also be awesome to do the Hero Mode co-op, if possible. Or like Portal 2, have a separate Co-op Hero Mode. Day 1 for me and I might pick it up for some friends of mine across the country too.

TheMoon

No capture the flag? Wow.

They said the game would be supported post launch. If it takes off and has a lot of people playing they can easily say "hey, let's add an ink-based twist on CTF as a DLC mode since we know there are enough people playing that splitting the player-base across two modes is feasible."

You need to start thinking about what this game is and how that logically affects such design decisions before you start complaining.

There's not voice chat at all or only during random matchmaking sessions?

That's the thing: we don't know. We just have the precedent that there IS voicechat in all recent Nintendo games, just that it's limited to friends and lobbies only. And the article supports that by only saying there is no communication with players in RANDOM matches = aka same as in other Nintendo games that do have voice chat.

That's hardly an apt comparison. As jimi_dini pointed out, GAF is a regulated community. You speak the language designated by the TOS, or you risk a ban. You accept these conditions when registering an account. Nintendo can't operate their business this way.

People tend to over-estimate the relevance of English world-wide.
Is like a group of people discussing the viability of the death penalty in a society, someone mentions de color of the outfit the penitent should wear during execution. Suddenly the pros and cons of the penalty are based around the argument of a uniform color. The mention of Neogaf was just a paralel on how a vast communtiy integrated by people of different vernacular consolidates around one language. English is been adopted worldwide as a secong language by many countries, not to mention the penatration of the language through the nternet and social networks. Basically working like what the "Speranto" tried to be.

What's the point beating around the bush so much with just an example (that maybe wasn't of your liking) when the point is right there to discuss?

The point been: NO EXCUSES. There's no excuses for not having chat among friends in a Nintendo console. It doesn't have reasonable arguments against it and it something the fits along within Nintendo's "personal interaction" policies.

This was quite the piece of work since it gave the apologists yet another straw to grasp and diverted the conversation away from the main issue:

My first match in Splatoon with voice-chat:

"Ready everone?"

"Qui és?"

"Hvar er stökk hnappinn?"

"닥쳐!"

Add to the above outrageous argument, the one that implies that not having chat capability of any kind during a match is a way to differentiate Nintendo online shooter from the competition. Is like having an offline multiplayer only Splatoon and combating the complainers by saying it is a feature to diferentiate the game from other multiplayer games.

jimi_dini

Is like a group of people discussing the viability of the death penalty in a society, someone mentions de color of the outfit the penitent should wear during execution.

hpJrsEY.gif

So discussing voice chat between randoms is like discussing the death penalty.

But well let me think about that for a second - yes, listening to random shit talk on PS3 was literally killing me.

English is been adopted worldwide as a secong language by many countries, not to mention the penatration of the language through the nternet and social networks. Basically working like what the "Speranto" tried to be.

So you are from America, aren't you.

If we went by native speakers, everyone should actually start learning Mandarin, followed by Spanish.

I could write about children, who also like to play games and possibly aren't able to speak English, but I guess this doesn't matter. Everyone should simply start speaking English or shut up. I get it. And of course speak English properly. Can't coordinate with people speaking broken J-English.

There's not voice chat at all or only during random matchmaking sessions?
Unless Nintendo actually claims voice chat is there, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Voice chat is something Nintendo has to say exists otherwise it's not going to be there.

Let's wait and see.

TheMoon

Unless Nintendo actually claims voice chat is there, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Voice chat is something Nintendo has to say exists otherwise it's not going to be there.

Let's wait and see.

Precedent says otherwise. Voice chat is there unless they say it isn't. Of course that refers to lobby-voice chat among friends only. So far they've only confirmed the standard: no chatting with randoms.

Precedent says otherwise. Voice chat is there unless they say it isn't. Of course that refers to lobby-voice chat among friends only. So far they've only confirmed the standard: no chatting with randoms.
But most of us complaining about voice chat want to have it during gameplay, at the least among friends. And in this case precedent says otherwise.

At the end of the day whatever the outcome, the healthy thing to do is complain about voice chat in here, in Miiverse or in any of the social networks. Given the precedents we all have seen with other Nintendo games. By doing so the only thing we can do is gain, is far better than been complacent or passive.

TheMoon

But most of us complaining about voice chat want to have it during gameplay, at the least among friends. And in this case precedent says otherwise.

Sure and I'm sure it won't be there. I personally don't see the point of it other than to shoot the shit with the buds.

Toxi

Banned
They said the game would be supported post launch. If it takes off and has a lot of people playing they can easily say "hey, let's add an ink-based twist on CTF as a DLC mode since we know there are enough people playing that splitting the player-base across two modes is feasible."

You need to start thinking about what this game is and how that logically affects such design decisions before you start complaining.
How on Earth does the faint possibility of Capture the Flag DLC after the game's launch make my complaint less valid? It's still not in the game. I don't buy products on the hopes that future content will make them worthwhile; if I did, I would have bought Destiny.

Sure and I'm sure it won't be there. I personally don't see the point of it other than to shoot the shit with the buds.
It doesn't matter if the game plays perfectly withouth voice chat.

How many times have we praised Nintendo for how great their local multiplayer games are to play with friends? Voice chat among friends would only bring that type of atmosphere a bit closer for those of us that can't get a gathering going like "old times".

But obviously, you can coordinate better when you can easily communicate with the members of the team.

In the end, this is the type of things that when implemented we all win. Don't like? Turn it off. Like it? Use it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While I agree on voicechat being unavailable sucks... people are seriously mad about the lack of bots?

FUCKING BOTS?

You guys want bots, the most terrible thing found in multiplayer games, available?

Now I agree that I'd rather have less than 8 players be open to playability, but WANTING bots? holy shit

boltz

While I agree on voicechat being unavailable sucks... people are seriously mad about the lack of bots?

FUCKING BOTS?

You guys want bots, the most terrible thing found in multiplayer games, available?

Now I agree that I'd rather have less than 8 players be open to playability, but WANTING bots? holy shit

I love me some bots; it's how I can still fire up Unreal Tournament and have a blast.

I can see more modes being added as DLC if the game is popular, but if you want people to get the game in the first place, having one mode is not the best way to do that.

FUCKING BOTS?

But having Amiibo Bots with AI would be awesome.

Altima

You don't earn money for gear in single player for balance reasons. Someone could grind money in hero mode and have their first online match with high level gear.

Sound like a deal-breaker.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So...a lot of people jumped the gun here. I guess this means people are going to talk about this right? No? Drive by posting followed by large rants online for the sole purpose of making sure no one by this game over a misunderstanding? Again? Of course. I'm utterly shocked by this point.

Considering that the driveby posters and trolls already made their presence, they probably wouldn't care about correct info since they already got what they need.

Seriously, even a shitty player is much better in L4D than bots.

How is that different from humans?

At least you can blame on human error :p

But having Amiibo Bots with AI would be awesome.

But make it limited to offline then.

Pikma

Banned
You might meet 50% bad humans, but you will meet 100% bad bots.

That would be a solution somehow if you could play 1 vs 1 with the Amiibo bot. But it's still more complex than SSB, so I don't have high hopes for this.

or 100% overpowered, unfair, bots, which is even worse imo.

Top Bottom