• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

jariw

Since the new gear/map was enabled without DLC update, I wonder if Nintendo trolled all reviewers with the content thing? Will the gradual roll out of maps/weapon/gear be unlocks of existing disc content until the August DLC?

Since the new gear/map was enabled without DLC update, I wonder if Nintendo trolled all reviewers with the content thing? Will the gradual roll out of maps/weapon/gear be unlocks of existing disc content until the August DLC?

It wouldn't surprise me if everything in the Prima guide is already on the disc. So, 9 maps total and half a dozen or so extra weapons, like the zappers and paint brush.

NotLiquid

The reviewers probably had some of this content already due to them having played Ranked Mode.

Eurogamer: Essential

It's those three minutes that really count, though, and it's there you'll find the genius and the joy of Splatoon. It's where you'll find a genre distilled, broken down and reassembled, with each piece snapping perfectly in place. It's where you'll find Nintendo charting new territory, and sharing with you the thrills of their own discovery. And it's where you'll find what happens when Mario's maker steps away from the comfort of the Mushroom Kingdom and tries something new: a true modern classic, and one of Nintendo's finest games in a generation.

mclem

Dan Whitehead did the preview; Martin Robinson handled the review. That they both write for Eurogamer doesn't mean their opinions are going to align.

Yeah, that's a fair point. The last bit of the impressions does mention that while he (Dan) wasn't taking to it, others really were in a big way.

KooopaKid

Banned
8 from Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/splatoon-review/1900-6416160/

"It's a wonderful game with charm and inventive ideas that work and pave the way for new experiences in an otherwise stale category of games."

+Proves shooters don't have to be violent to be engaging
+Employs one of the most unique movement mechanics around
+It makes you look at your environment and opponents in new ways
+The colorful atmosphere lifts you up rather than weighing you down

-The single player campaign loses steam too quickly
-A lack of control over multiplayer matches does more harm than good
-Some content is locked behind amiibos, forcing eager Inklings to spend real world money

Manoko

A new map and weapon are launching today for Splatoon. Ranked Battles also go live at 7pm pacific.

Time to re-review the game folks!

Come on, since when a single new map, a single new weapon and something that should have been available from the beginning (ranked battles) is enough content to re-review a game ?

Actually, it's quite sad how some people praise Nintendo for releasing a map and a new weapon days after the launch of game, forgetting how lackluster it is content-wise.

I'm not saying I'm not happy with the early update in the game's life. I'm just saying it is the least Nintendo could do, and should do plenty more, before the game can be considered meaty in terms of content.

Come on, since when a single new map, a single new weapon and something that should have been available from the beginning (ranked battles) is enough content to re-review a game ?

Actually, it's quite sad how some people praise Nintendo for releasing a map and a new weapon days after the launch of game, forgetting how lackluster it is content-wise.

I'm not saying I'm not happy with the early update in the game's life. I'm just saying it is the least Nintendo could do, and should do plenty more, before the game can be considered meaty in terms of content.

Yeah, calling for re-reviews already is insane (unless it was tongue in cheek). Maybe in a few months time once all the free content has been rolled out and after a few patches etc.

Actually, I think it's interesting the way they're handling the updates for this game. The map that just came out and ranked matches were already on the disc, just locked content. Rolling that stuff out at a measured pace seems quite deliberate and I don't necessarily think it's a bad approach.

NotLiquid

I'm pretty sure that "re-review the game" comment was made in jest guys.

Not that I disagree with the premise of doing so, but it shouldn't happen until August at least.

Rappy

Even if it was a joke, if a review complains about there only being one mode, there should be a re-review if that affected their final score. We're not in the non-internet-enabled console-with-no-updates-to-content past. Many of these scores are never gonna be updated in August either.

KooopaKid

Banned
Yeah, calling for re-reviews already is insane (unless it was tongue in cheek). Maybe in a few months time once all the free content has been rolled out and after a few patches etc.

Actually, I think it's interesting the way they're handling the updates for this game. The map that just came out and ranked matches were already on the disc, just locked content. Rolling that stuff out at a measured pace seems quite deliberate and I don't necessarily think it's a bad approach.

It was :)

It's just a shame so many reviewers don't understand the staged release.

MisterR

It was :)

It's just a shame so many reviewers don't understand the staged release.

They do understand it I'm sure. They had to review the game that was there at release. It's really time to get over the review scores and move on. It reviewed well and at this point the game is out and word of mouth is much more important than reviews now. Time to just let it go.

Nosgotham

Even if it was a joke, if a review complains about there only being one mode, there should be a re-review if that affected their final score. We're not in the non-internet-enabled console-with-no-updates-to-content past. Many of these scores are never gonna be updated in August either.

Review copies had ranked mode unlocked

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Eurogamer said:
It's enough to make you think you're playing the best Dreamcast game that never was, though this is one of those rare titles that works hard to fill out the Wii U's eccentric brief. The GamePad's put to good use - even if the optional motion controls are somewhat divisive - with the touchscreen an integral part of your own loadout. Reading the map that's hosted on the second screen, identifying where your ink is needed and what areas need winning back, is essential to victory, as too is using the touchscreen to mark out and leap to your team-mates' side.
I could have written this. This is the most Dreamcast game I've seen since that glory days.

Raitaro

I could have written this. This is the most Dreamcast game I've seen since that glory days.

Yep me too, and if not Dreamcast, then the most Dreamcast 2 game we never got either. It really manages to merge Nintendo's typical polish and creativity with Sega's 80's and 90's hip urban / blue skies atmosphere - and I love it dearly for it.

Majestad

Banned
Splatoon is easily a 9/10 game, specially now after the updates. The gameplay has that perfect feeling all the best Nintendo classics have. Add to that an incredible amount of charm, with amazing music and aesthetics and you have one of the best games of the year.

pitt_norton

some excerpts from the edge review...

Splatoon is a product of Nintendo’s Garage programme, designed to encourage its employees to freely explore new ideas. The result is, after a fashion, a third person shooter, and it’s the most refreshing thing the publisher has produced internally for some time.

Splatoon may not be quite as refined or as generous as Mario Kart 8, but it’s thrillingly new and so entertaining on a fundamental level that its odd little missteps hardly matter.

This is holistic design at its finest, and powers a game that benefits hugely from immediacy.

Top Bottom