• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

Online, right? Cause this game's local multiplayer consists of a single 1v1 mode.

As hyped as I am for this game, this fact is such a huge blunder on Nintendo's part. If it had local multiplayer, I'd have tons of friends I could play it with who would love it. It'll never be the next Mario Kart without local multiplayer.

Tom Nook

That Hype!
tumblr_np2wsifqsF1rop4oho1_1280.jpg

http://delildel.tumblr.com/post/120132688540/the-nintendoworld-line-for-splatoon-and-wave-4

Ok, after two and a half hours straight, I'm definitely loving this! The metacritic is no where near high enough.

...Well, the forced Gamepad use is still shite, but other than that, it's fucking awesome!

Definitely another gem for the WiiU here, although I would kill for party chat. The only times I've lost has been with a team that couldn't coordinate properly, and it's incredibly frustrating to see where we need to be concentrating our efforts and what to look out for and not being able to tell anyone.

Overall a brilliant new IP Nintendo though. Really hope it sells well!

Exile20

Ok, after two and a half hours straight, I'm definitely loving this! The metacritic is no where near high enough.

...Well, the forced Gamepad use is still shite, but other than that, it's fucking awesome!

Definitely another gem for the WiiU here, although I would kill for party chat. The only times I've lost has been with a team that couldn't coordinate properly, and it's incredibly frustrating to see where we need to be concentrating our efforts and what to look out for and not being able to tell anyone.

Really? Just look at the map and use the commands.

Nosgotham

a 81 on metracritic and gameranking is not impressive, it's very good but it's nothing wow about it, or buy a console for, i'm just talking about reviews here, usually a over 90 score on metracritic would make me say wow, i have to try this game, if i like the settings and art style just a little.

maybe he, i dont know, read thr content of the reviews and didnt rely on the score alone. They pretty much all talk about how fresh it feels. that makes me say wow more than some aggregate score

4Scarr

Banned
I wrote a Splatoon review for Best Buy Canada's Plug-in Blog

Plug-in Blog: 4.75/5

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Visit-the-Plug-in-Blog/Review-Splatoon-is-Nintendo-s-next-big-franchise/ba-p/116708

Splatoon is like nothing you have ever seen or played before from Nintendo. The gameplay is a perfect blend of fast-paced shooting, over-the-top-action, deep strategy, 3D platforming, with puzzle solving mechanics all in one perfectly polished game. Not to be outdone, Nintendo has planned free content throughout the summer with more clothes, head gear, weapons and multiplayer stages.

"The Last of Us is great... but the forced Dual Shock use is still shite."

Sadly for the usual suspects the Gamepad is actually the best way to play the game. XD

NateDrake

Honestly, this was a tough game to review, in my opinion. I had to review the game using a 1-5 scale with no .5 intervals. Had the game offered more maps and modes, I would have been able to push it to a 5/5. But 4/5 felt right and fair for the Day 1 content. Splatoon reviews need to be read and cannot be judged solely on the numerical score attached to them.

Cuburt

How many outlets would even bother to update their reviews and scores in a couple weeks when more of the content comes out?

hwy_61

Banned
The game is really, really good? :p

But, ultimately, I understand its score even if I don't think it actually reflects the quality of the game (oddly, it reflects the quantity within it). Having now played it, I can't really agree with its metascore, is what I meant.

But I don't play scores so: "Oh well." as I said.

Oh ok. That's good to hear!

The game is really, really good? :p

But, ultimately, I understand its score even if I don't think it actually reflects the quality of the game (oddly, it reflects the quantity within it). Having now played it, I can't really agree with its metascore, is what I meant.

But I don't play scores so: "Oh well." as I said.

I only asked to clarify because when you say "meta" you may be talking about the competititve side of the game (the metagame) so I thought you had some insight into it. As far as I can tell, no one has actually spoken about it.

Vena

I only asked to clarify because when you say "meta" you may be talking about the competititve side of the game (the metagame) so I thought you had some insight into it. As far as I can tell, no one has actually spoken about it.

Oh, there's no meta yet, lol. That'll be in a few weeks. :p The only meta we've gone through is the "roller OP" meta.

4Scarr

Banned
The single player store mode is fantastic! I actually played that and beat it first, then went to online battles. Loved the boss battles!

Halabane

Even Japanese Manga Authors can't wait to play Splatoon

(5th comment)

Oh man Food Wars is a great anime/manga. I would love to see the Squidlings make a guest appearance in the manga as some sort of specially prepared dish.

Not sure N would like to see their characters on the dinner table.

off topic a bit.

I was surprised Food Wars made it into jump. All those food orgasms. The anime is way over the top with them. Not their usual faire

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is actually pretty eyeroll-inducing, honestly.

The picture, I mean.

I can understand what its trying to say, but it comes off fairly patronizing and kind of assumes facts not in evidence regarding Splatoon's fanbase.

Because there still plenty out there... hell, in GAF as well even, that automatically assume that Nintendo = Kiddies.

Hell, even kids themselves, like the the review of that cute little girl indicates, are thinking this (and hey! proof that the picture can be very accurate as well!)

15strong

How many outlets would even bother to update their reviews and scores in a couple weeks when more of the content comes out?

There is no reason for them to. More game will come out that and they will have to take the time to review those. And three months from now, it's not like the general public will be clamoring for a splatoon updated score.

Blues1990

Man, hearing that everyone is having a ball with the game is making me excited to get my copy, along with my Ness and Splatoon Amiibo. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it until I get home after work tomorrow.

tumblr_lzvh18TpJC1r8cm5vo1_250.gif

HoJu

Because there still plenty out there... hell, in GAF as well even, that automatically assume that Nintendo = Kiddies.

Hell, even kids themselves, like the the review of that cute little girl indicates, are thinking this (and hey! proof that the picture can be very accurate as well!)

but the image is saying "we're not the babies, you are". it's just childish finger-pointing. the correct response is to say who gives a shit.

Exile20

Honestly, this was a tough game to review, in my opinion. I had to review the game using a 1-5 scale with no .5 intervals. Had the game offered more maps and modes, I would have been able to push it to a 5/5. But 4/5 felt right and fair for the Day 1 content. Splatoon reviews need to be read and cannot be judged solely on the numerical score attached to them.

I think that is fair

I'm really happy to see this game is being received well! I was worried the gameplay wouldn't hold up and it'd be all style over substance. Picking this one up soon for sure.

Majukun

currently playing the witcher 3 and I'm gonna do that for a good while..but i might pick it up later if the online community is still there...also i hope that nintendo's recent "dlc policy" is applied to this game too and thus they will iron the few shortcomings

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Man, hearing that everyone is having a ball with the game is making me excited to get my copy, along with my Ness and Splatoon Amiibo. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it until I get home after work tomorrow.

tumblr_lzvh18TpJC1r8cm5vo1_250.gif
Cheer up. I got the splatoon amiibo pack today, and I won't be able to play the game until end of next month.

Top Bottom